ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League?

connie-hawkins100.jpg

(Connie Hawkins vs Wilt Chamberlain)

Did you know that Pittsburgh was home to one of the best summer leagues in the country? The following is from the Bill Neal's column in the 5/24/17 edition of the "Pittsburgh Courier":

"The nationally and internationally recognized Connie Hawkins NCAA/Pro-Am Summer Basketball League

To truly appreciate the talent level of these players, you only need to be reminded that from 1975-1985 the league was recognized as one of the Top 10 leagues in the nation and in 1978-79-80 was listed as one of the top five in the country.

In 1978, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution wrote: “The Pittsburgh-based Connie Hawkins Summer Basketball League showcases some of the nation’s greatest legendary players as well as schoolyard legends, including former Atlanta Hawk Connie Hawkins himself.”

In 1979, “Heat in the Street” (Basketball bio of the nation’s top summer leagues written by former college and NBA coach Al McGuire) wrote: “If you’re going to play in the Connie Hawkins League in Pittsburgh, it’s best you have two pair of basketball shoes. The league is just too hot for one!!!

In 1980, Sports Illustrated wrote: “With the increased rise of summer basketball leagues around the country showcasing both NBA, NCAA and asphalt talent, here’s how we rank the top five leagues across the U.S.; 1. Rucker League—Harlem, New York; 2. The L.A. Pro League—Las Angeles, California (sponsored by the Lakers); 3. The Sonny Hill League – Philadelphia.; 4. The D.C. Coalition League—Washington, D.C.; 5. The Connie Hawkins League—Pittsburgh."

It is in the works and could happen. Capel and company have been receptive. Details are still being worked on but the chances are at least 50% it will occur and they are rising.

It would be really nice for it to happen.

I would like to see the new Pitt & RMU players as both are adding a decent amount to their teams.

I would like to see the new Pitt & RMU players as both are adding a decent amount to their teams.
Hell, Pitt's turning over their entire roster. Duquesne has 11 new players as well. Be a chance to see the new 3 star kid RMU signed go up against some other 3 and 4 star players.

Hell, Pitt's turning over their entire roster. Duquesne has 11 new players as well. Be a chance to see the new 3 star kid RMU signed go up against some other 3 and 4 star players.

Would be cool if they could play the league at RMU's new arena starting next year. They did the last few years down the road at Montour

I don't follow college basketball outside of this area enough to know how regular or irregular it is in this new landscape that Pitt, RMU, and Duquense basically have all new teams turning over in these last two years.

Would be cool if they could play the league at RMU's new arena starting next year. They did the last few years down the road at Montour
Air conditioned comfort! Would also be nice to let folks who follow other teams become familiar with the location of the arena. Some might find their way there for a couple of RMU games.

You could build a pretty nice set of competitive rosters with the guys that Pitt, Duquesne and RMU are bringing in - and adding to it whatever guys from WVU and the handful of local kids who went to other D1 schools (Carmody).

Reactions: Pizzaboy1
You could build a pretty nice set of competitive rosters with the guys that Pitt, Duquesne and RMU are bringing in - and adding to it whatever guys from WVU and the handful of local kids who went to other D1 schools (Carmody).
I don’t think you’ll see WVU players in the summer league. Distance is too much of a factor. Very understandable.

Cool, sure but that would be against NCAA rules for an event like this I believe.

I don’t think you’ll see WVU players in the summer league. Distance is too much of a factor. Very understandable.
Distance has always been an issue for WVU but not the only issue.

Have any of you insiders heard anything? If there was ever a year we need the league, this is it.
There is only one insider in the know, and he was the first to answer your question. DT is the most knowledgeable and classiest person on the Lair. Next to the coaches, the summer league would not happen without him.

RMU has two 3* Stars actually. Transfer Josh Williams from Akron (whose bro starts at PG) will be eligible this year to play. Supposed to be a good player overall & a good 3pt shooter.

Also, the new 3 star Phil Gebrewhit will redshirt since he’s not ready to play academically. I assume he can still play in the summer league tho?

There is only one insider in the know, and he was the first to answer your question. DT is the most knowledgeable and classiest person on the Lair. Next to the coaches, the summer league would not happen without him.

Thanks Atch, that's kind, but ultimately too kind.

It's because of the Pittsburgh Basketball Club that the summer league happens. I am proud that I was helpful in raising some needed funds in some of the leaner years when the league almost didn't happen because of sparse sponsorship support. But since that time, funds have been adequate to come by and my role has been organizing scorekeeping and statistics for the league.

It;s not workable. NCAA rules.

The long and short of it is that Pitt couldn't get in it this year. Too many complications this year, not the least of which was Pitt's own planned practice work over the summer. Now that summer practices are allowed, the practical use for the summer league is not the same as its been.

The long and short of it is that Pitt couldn't get in it this year. Too many complications this year, not the least of which was Pitt's own planned practice work over the summer. Now that summer practices are allowed, the practical use for the summer league is not the same as its been.

Dam.

Really hope it will come back next year but it ain’t looking good.

Comon Pitt :(:confused:

Especially disappointing with the new talent that’s coming in this yr and the yrs to come .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT