ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Nice to be 1-0. Before we get into it, let's keep in mind that this was Kent State so everything is said with a grain of salt. There was some good, some bad, some ugly:

The Good:

1. The offense was as advertised. Fast, productive, greedy, imaginative, explosive. After last year's snooze fest it was a pleasure to see an offense that dictated and gobbled up yards. Great route trees for the receivers , getting the ball in space to playmakers. What a novel concept.

2. While I was a Nate Yarnell fan, it's evident that Holstein's arm and touch is really good and you can't really complain about the pick. He was confident, got rid of the ball quickly and threw some beautiful TD passes especially touch passes to Kenny Johnson.

3. We might have undervalued the play makers on this roster. No one knew anything about Desmond Reid at this level but my goodness is he explosive. The play that opened my eyes was a handoff in the backfield on a delayed draw where the Kent State DE crashed down and looked to have him for a 5 yard loss but the quick cut away and boom a 12 yard gain. Me thinks they will really to monitor his carries because of his size but he could be really special. Don't love him returning punts but hey he broke one.

4. Thought the run blocking was good against an undersized front. Cooper and BJ Williams were nasty. Happy with the interior of the line. The tackles? We will mention them later.

5. Hey, they actually got the ball to 86. Instead of just talking about, Bell actually did it. Really will help the offense going forward. With Kenny Johnson, Poppi, Mumfield and 86, Bell has a ton of options in the passing game. Really looking forward to seeing it against better comp.

6. The athleticism of the defense is obvious especially in the front seven. Lots of swarming and closing space around the ball carriers. When all is said and done, this might end up being the fastest Defense of Narduzzi's tenure though they have some issues. Louis is a star in the making and Sincere Edwards really flashed. Waiting to see what Brewu and Fitzimmons will add to this front.

The Bad:

1. Still trying to figure out how replay didn't overturn Kent State's TD in the second half. Clearly bobbled and landed out of bounds but maybe the angle wasn't good.

2. Too many penalties in the first half. That's ok against Kent State but not P5 competition.

3. The pass protection was so - so especially the OT's. Now when you are going to run 80 plays at that pace there are bound to be negative plays, but thought Branson Taylor's pass sets where not great and he looked a tad slow with his punch. Ryan B. was not much better, hopefully that improves.

4. Holstein made two really bad passes, both of his back foot. The first off his back foot that was intercepted and almost returned for a TD. The other should have been intercepted in the end zone. Needs to take his medicine and come back. Can't rely on his arm like that. That's inexperience but needs to be corrected because he will have to throw under duress and he can't do that.

5. I personally would have taken the points early in the game but Duzz decided to go for it on 4th and 5 in the red zone. An obvious targeting call bailed us out but not sure that was a smart decision but I'm sure if it's better comp he kicks the FG.

6. Need more from the DE's. The transfer from Kansas State had a quiet game and while Sincere Edwards showed promise we need more from them in the pass rush. Jimmy Scott set the edge really well though and chased down a couple of plays which was promising.

7. Teams are going to attack the slot safeties. PJ Obrien got toasted a few times and should have been toasted more. Something to watch for.

The Ugly:

1. I love Konata Mumfield but man the usually dependable WR dropped an easy TD and then fumbled a punt for a recovery TD. Good thing it was Kent State.

2. Why am I watching a first team guard hobbling off the field in the fourth quarter when we are up by 28pts? I mean game is over why is the first team OL still in the game? Hopefully Jacoby isn't hurt badly.

3. Some of the holding calls early in the game especially the one on Gavin were bad calls. Seemed like good solid blocks. Negated a nice run by Davis.

4. The second half opening drive by Kent State was ridiculous in that it looked like we were still in the locker room. Zero intensity. While it's clear that the front seven has some speed we overran way too many plays. Need to work on the angles and gap control.

5. Hammond's loss will be felt at some point. Davis might be a good back up but should Reid get banged up, all of a sudden we become awfully thin at the RB spot. That's why I'm not a fan of putting Reid out there to field punts.

Misc:

1. Has the gap between Clemson and Georgia really gotten that wide?

2. Bad loss by VT. Maybe Vanderbilt is better but still.

3. Yes Miami looked impressive but just can't tell if that's a good Florida team. That coach is on his last legs. That's not a patient school.

4. Cincy gave up some yards to Townson State (438 yards) but also had 658 yards which means absolutely nothing. We have to stop the run next week. Our first big test.

5. WVU insisted on running wide against a fast PSU defense and paid the price. WVU defense gave up almost 500 yards. Not a great performance on either side of the ball. Surprised how inept their running game was.

1-0 and now the season really begins. We will find out a lot more about this team next Saturday.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.