ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday morning random thoughts

cruzer

All American
Jul 27, 2001
First of all, it's great to wake up and still be undefeated. Absolutely amazing that it's been 42 years since we were 6-0. That's a long, long time.

For the record, we've already exceeded my win prediction for the season and I'll admit that I was completely wrong about this team. Happy to fall on this sword.

Yesterday may have been the poster child for winning ugly. Who would have thought that we'd be shut out in the second half and still win? Virtual impossibility but it happened.

To state the obvious the defense played by far their best game of the season. Couldn't have come at a better time. The D-line really showed up. We stopped their running game and put tons of pressure on their QB. BTW, the pressure was what won the game, because we were not covering well the entire game. I don't know who was supposed to be covering the TE, but whoever it was must have been stuck in the porta potty. I can't remember any game where the TE was not just open, but completely uncovered.

As great as it was to win, this game pointed out a few issues that need to be addressed. First, our O-line still needs work. Maybe this is a reflection of injuries but besides the big TD run by Reid we had very little running game. Add that to a passing attack that was virtually non-existent and it's a minor miracle that we were able to hold on to a W.

I suppose it should not be a surprise but Eli really came down to earth yesterday. It was bound to happen at least once and thank god that it happened when the defense decided to show up. Eli was really tentative all day and he threw some real head scratcher picks. Let's hope that he got his stinker game out of his system because we're not going to keep winning with an offensive performance like that one.

Yesterday made me want to declare today national Ben Sauls Day. That guy is money. He will certainly be kicking on Sundays. Watching Sauls drill a 58 yarders almost made me feel bad for the Cal kicker. He had a pretty easy FG to win the game for Cal and blew it. A Cal buddy of mine texted me just before the kick and predicted a miss. I guess Cal has a pretty long history of blowing games (with the exception of "The Play" game).

Cal actually isn't a bad team. They just do things that make it difficult to win. The penalties were incredible. There could have been more penalties called that the refs either missed or let go. Final note, their coach really put them behind the 8 ball with the dumb-ass decision to go for 2 after their first TD. Just kick the extra point and see how the game plays out. Those extra points ultimately sunk Cal.

Good news is that we get a couple of weeks to enjoy being undefeated.

Cruzer

Reactions: 303vND
First of all, it's great to wake up and still be undefeated. Absolutely amazing that it's been 42 years since we were 6-0. That's a long, long time.

For the record, we've already exceeded my win prediction for the season and I'll admit that I was completely wrong about this team. Happy to fall on this sword.

Yesterday may have been the poster child for winning ugly. Who would have thought that we'd be shut out in the second half and still win? Virtual impossibility but it happened.

To state the obvious the defense played by far their best game of the season. Couldn't have come at a better time. The D-line really showed up. We stopped their running game and put tons of pressure on their QB. BTW, the pressure was what won the game, because we were not covering well the entire game. I don't know who was supposed to be covering the TE, but whoever it was must have been stuck in the porta potty. I can't remember any game where the TE was not just open, but completely uncovered.

As great as it was to win, this game pointed out a few issues that need to be addressed. First, our O-line still needs work. Maybe this is a reflection of injuries but besides the big TD run by Reid we had very little running game. Add that to a passing attack that was virtually non-existent and it's a minor miracle that we were able to hold on to a W.

I suppose it should not be a surprise but Eli really came down to earth yesterday. It was bound to happen at least once and thank god that it happened when the defense decided to show up. Eli was really tentative all day and he threw some real head scratcher picks. Let's hope that he got his stinker game out of his system because we're not going to keep winning with an offensive performance like that one.

Yesterday made me want to declare today national Ben Sauls Day. That guy is money. He will certainly be kicking on Sundays. Watching Sauls drill a 58 yarders almost made me feel bad for the Cal kicker. He had a pretty easy FG to win the game for Cal and blew it. A Cal buddy of mine texted me just before the kick and predicted a miss. I guess Cal has a pretty long history of blowing games (with the exception of "The Play" game).

Cal actually isn't a bad team. They just do things that make it difficult to win. The penalties were incredible. There could have been more penalties called that the refs either missed or let go. Final note, their coach really put them behind the 8 ball with the dumb-ass decision to go for 2 after their first TD. Just kick the extra point and see how the game plays out. Those extra points ultimately sunk Cal.

Cruzer
The defense sure did make some big plays in this game. But it did give up a 78-yard touchdown drive and a 58-yard drive that lead to the missed field goal, both in the 4th quarter. If that 40-yard kick is good, we are most likely lamenting the fact that the defense could not hold the lead at the end of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Cruzer
As for Sauls,

How can this kid be anything but first team AA?

And, what an opening for Narduzzi recruiting kickers and even punters

"If you come here you have a 4 year audition for the NFL in one of the toughest places to kick"

"Look at what Sauls has done here. The NFL is certainly paying attention ".

If that 40-yard kick is good, we are most likely lamenting the fact that the defense could not hold the lead at the end of the game.

If that kick was good I'd most likely be lamenting the fact that our offense was so bad in the second half and they hung the defense out to dry.

Which would be the correct lamentation in that scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT