ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl - Least Watched Super Bowl Since 2009

BuffetParrothead

Heisman Winner
Nov 22, 2015
The number is down 7% from the 111.3 million that tuned in for last year's Super Bowl, which saw the Patriots come back to beat the Atlanta Falcons. And it makes the game the least-watched Super Bowl since 2009.

This is the third year of declining viewership of the Super Bowl.

NFL regular season viewership declined 9.7% this year compared to 8.0% in 2016.

Very soon NFL advertisers will begin evaluating their investment in the NFL.

And it's not because there's different ways to view the superbowl this year because those same viewing options were available last year.

Some so called experts said NFL regular season viewership is down big but the Super Bowl is different and things will flip for the Super Bowl ? Guess what it didn't!

Mrs Buffett and I like millions of hard working, patriotic, military, police supporting Americans decided not to watch the NFL this year and guess what it's having an effect.

Next year viewship will decline more, the year after that more again on and on.

The bad news for the NFL is even if the kneelers stop kneeling alot of Great Americans located
between NYCity, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Hollywood will continue to not watch the NFL because after all the talk we now know how many/alot of NFLer's feel about the police, military, and America!

Good luck NFL, you're heading for the tarpits, just like the now policitcally motivated
ESPN The Former Sports Network!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Respect your decision but you missed a hell of a game. I don't think anyone kneeled either.

You also may add respect for the decision of millions of other former NFL watchers who helped drive down the season NFL and Super Bowl rating.

Actually we can't wait for the new XFL to get going!

We missed many great games this year, but its worth it if the millions not watching can impact the NFL advertisers. Many like us call and email advertisers who by the way hate negative input from potential customers.

For many previous NFL watchers the kneelers have played their cards, so it's up to their customers NFL fans to make their decision to watch of not watch.

Many are deciding to not watch since they know how the kneelers actually feel about this great country whether they kneel or not.

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

The number is down 7% from the 111.3 million that tuned in for last year's Super Bowl, which saw the Patriots come back to beat the Atlanta Falcons. And it makes the game the least-watched Super Bowl since 2009.

And it's not because there's different ways to view the superbowl this year because those same viewing options were available last year.

Some so called experts said NFL regular season viewership is down big but the Super Bowl is different and things will flip for the Super Bowl ? Guess what it didn't!

Mrs Buffett and I like millions of hard working, patriotic, military, police supporting Americans decided not to watch the NFL this year and guess what it's having an effect.

The bad news for the NFL is even if the kneelers stop kneeling alot of Great Americans located
between NYCity, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Hollywood will continue to not watch the NFL because after all the talk we now know how many/alot of NFLer's feel about the police, military, and America!

Good luck NFL, you're heading for the tarpits, just like the now policitcally motivated

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

I'm with you. I didn't watch a minute of the game. They showed the country who they are and the lack of values they have. Screw the NFL.

What's hilarious is the entire BLM, Dumocratic, Resist, idiots. The NFL shat the bed on this PR debacle. Lots of other things to do with my time and entertainment $$$.
Everyone has there opinions my family comes from a police and military background and they have no problem with they fought and defended the first admendment If your rational is correct And streaming does not count they will be shutting off all TV On Sunday’s the NFL was the highest Viewed program out there There is no way to count the viewership from other sources It does not matter NFL is king of people watching a program Uou have the right not to watch but I believe in the first ADMENDMENT

It amazes me that so many people can't actually listen to what the players are saying instead of the rhetoric of our divisive leader. Could have been used as an opportunity to create a national dialogue, but was instead used as a petty attempt to further divide us using a false choice of supporting our country, military, police, flag, etc., or not.

video-239275.jpg

nobody seems offended that the flag continues to be displayed improperly

Reactions: happjack
It amazes me that so many people can't actually listen to what the players are saying instead of the rhetoric of our divisive leader. Could have been used as an opportunity to create a national dialogue, but was instead used as a petty attempt to further divide us using a false choice of supporting our country, military, police, flag, etc., or not.

Kapernik said it all as he kicked off the kneeling protests wearing socks with police officers depicted as Pigs!

When I tune into a sports event like an NFL game I'd like to watch sports not a political debate or people making political statements.
NFL players are employees of the team that they represent on Sunday's, Monday's and Thursday's, they're working, and should stick to playing football on those days.

Everyone has First Ammendment rights but you're employer and you're customers can decide if they like what you saying and they have the right to take action!
If any of us turned our jobs into a platform for a protest we'd be terminated!

On the other hand if the protesters/kneelers would like to buy some time on the TV or radio Mrs Buffett and I would be happy to listen to their cause if it's On Their Time and Their Dime.

The protesters /kneelers should do some work in the inner cities when the camera isn't on them.

Additionally if the protesters/kneelers would like to help their cause, a national dialogue isn't necessary. The players and protesters/kneelers should lead by example, be heads of their families and not be involved in high rates of domestic violence.

They need to get to work in predominatly black, inner city high crime neighborhoods, and make an attempt to assist 13% of the population ( black population), not commit 54% of the crime in America, they should be talking to black inner city communities about the importance of having an intact family ( father, mother, & children), and having a job is a good thing!

In the Lehigh Valley in PA, Amazon, Fed X and many other companies have located facilties, or expanded and there's a shortage of workers. Now many local citizens/voters are pressuring the politicians to limit or end unemployment benefits if people aren't seeking and taking the available jobs. The companies are even willing to train those with basic skills yet its hard to attract workers who have been on unemployment most of their lives. This is where the protesters/kneelers can help.

This trend will expand as our President makes the USA a great place to do business and jobs are created in all lines of work!

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Reactions: elvis63
Certainly your right not to watch the game. However, your premises on declining viewership and the XFL fail to consider the following.

If you think the NFL has declining ratings, please see Exhibit B: NASCAR. Since the 2006 Daytona 500, their ratings are down 45% according to Niehlsen. Just curious, is it because their drivers aren't patriotic enough? That sports wraps itself in the American flag. Must be that Fidel Castro shirt that Kyle Busch wore during his last interview.

As for the XFL, there is barely enough talent to keep the NFL interesting. Part of the reason for declining viewership is the is frankly not enough talent on enough teams to make the games interesting. I'm not watching the Colts play the Packers with their back-up QB's, anymore than I will watch Jets vs. Bills. Teams are struggling to get good QB's. How many NFL teams have a franchise QB right now?

And if the back-ups in the NFL stink, who do you think will be playing in the XFL? It will be a bunch of FCS, D2 and D3 athletes. Beyond that, with declining enrollment in youth sports leagues, I'm not sure that there is enough of a talent base moving forward to support two pro leagues, and there may not be even enough to support one.

Finally, Great Americans aren't only found in rural areas. You don't own the market on patriotism. They are found all over America, taking both sides on the kneeling issue. Even veterans are divided on the issue, as polling has indicated. I would further point out that many of these protesters (Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Long, etc.) have been active in their communities, working with the NFL leadership to donate $89 million to social justice and racial equality organizations. Jenkins and other are working on criminal justice reform. If you disagree, that's fine, but don't say they have done nothing.

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

and we know how your side feels about the FBI

I mean, is there any point that you people have the capacity to step back and get how manipulated you are?

Reactions: daminals76

kneeling was stupid, I prefer you are VOCAL about the problems you have with the country. Kneeling does nothing but anger people, the SJW's are idiots.

Still however it is hilarious watching someone who has REPEATEDLY attacked the US intelligence agencies and FBI as incompetent and corrupt and treasonous trying to lecture these guys on being patriots.

Hate coffee from these keurig machines. Just make a pot of coffee. You can make a cup or two by adjusting the water. Saves you money overall and tastes a thousand times better.

Missed out on what? The score was pasted all over the internet and you can watch the halftime show and every commercial on YouTube.

Everyone that didn't watch missed out. Entertaining game, decent commercials (if you watch for that) and JT at halftime.

Reactions: Swervin27
Missed out on what? The score was pasted all over the internet and you can watch the halftime show and every commercial on YouTube.
Lol, this was funny and true. We live in an age where you can’t miss anything, even if you try.

I hate commercials and replay so bad that I actually dvr the pitt games so I can start an hour or two later and fast forward all the crap. I turn off cell, avoid ESPN, don’t listen to radio and still some way, some how, I find out the score. You literally can’t miss anything now.

Reactions: kma0043
I'm an old man. When I was younger, football wasn't always on television. I remember the days before technology, the days when you had to leave your home to write a research paper. The days when television was only three or four channels. The days of AM radio and 8-tracks. The days before VCRS and DVDs. The days before you couldn't get a freakin' cup of coffee at McDonalds because the computers were down!

Lol, this was funny.

Hate coffee from these keurig machines. Just make a pot of coffee. You can make a cup or two by adjusting the water. Saves you money overall and tastes a thousand times better.
It's also exponentially more expensive.
But, I lost the battle on that one when my wife won one in a Bingo.

It's also exponentially more expensive.
But, I lost the battle on that one when my wife won one in a Bingo.
I like a big cup of coffee. In morning, I use one of those pitt script hard plastic cups that they sell at the games where you buy an 7 dollar Pepsi and keep the cup. You can fit like 32 oz in these things.

If I wanted a 6 ounce serving then I’d go keurig. I drink this crap to get me going, not to savor the aroma while watching a sunrise on the front porch of my mountain cottage.

I didn't watch but then again, I've missed probably half the past ten or so games. The whole event is just stupid to me. The commercials are sometimes good but really?!?! unless you are a 50-plus year-old woman, if you're watching anything for the commercials you need to get a life. The half-times have always been stupid. The games seem to have gotten a bit better since the 80's when they all seemed to be blow-outs but frankly, the NFL product just sucks. The kneeling didn't help but that is just the cherry of stupid on top. The NFL better fix things quick. Another year or two of this and they will be in serious trouble.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

The divisive leader has been out of office for over a year now. Disrespecting the country, flag , military
police etc does not bring people together.

Actually we can't wait for the new XFL to get going!

LOL

As I so accurately predicted. The XFL was reborn for idiots like this. People with lower IQ's who are so brainwashed that they'd rather watch a very bad level of football just because their cult says the NFL is bad. Sometimes, I wished I was wrong.

Actually what divides people is intolerance and ignorance. People have different opinions formed by their beliefs. In today's society everyone tries to impose their opinions and beliefs on to everyone else and if they do not conform to what they believe, then instead of agreeing to disagree peacefully they go the extra mile and try to ruin their lives. In a society where the majority rules, the majority dictates everything. What is bad about that is the majority of the people are not that bright which really screws things up.

The divisive leader has been out of office for over a year now. Disrespecting the country, flag , military
police etc does not bring people together.

Which police officer murdered a black person who was no threat? That is just another racist lie. When that has happened (and it is exceedingly rare) they are convicted. When they aren't it is almost always the case that the story was twisted into a lie by racial and political activists. That should actually be the focus of true protest.

Freddy Gray unfortunately can't raise his hand to interject on this erroneous claim

Reactions: pittdan77
Yes the "NFLers" hate the military, police, and America!! Lmao

The Super Bowl was and still is by far the most watched TV event of the year... that isn't ever going to change.

Last edited:
Truth on complicated matters is always more complex and nuanced. And it’s amazing how it’s all connected.

There are a group of people that are unable to process that maybe the “image of success and power” doesn’t have to be an old white guy, that they voted for Donald Trump.

Then what follows....there are a group of people that are sooo unable to process that the “image of success and power” isn’t always a middle aged white guy, that they blow this out of proportion, because finally there is a channel for This emotion when those that “shouldn’t be the powerful ones” screw up. So they actually stop watching football and then brag about ratings? Wait, really?

No....I’m serious

And I’m not wrong.

There are a lot of patriotic people - including the vast majority of the NFL. There are some people that took the wrong path for a social issue. No doubt. Stand for the anthem, and talk about the issues on another stage.

But seriously, are we really going to channel the angst from the lost sense of “being a superior race” and stop watching football??

C’mon.....again, stand for the anthem. But the vast majority of the NFL and those associated with it have just as much pride as we do. You missed a great American event

I skipped the game and went to the movies. Had any other AFC team had been playing Inwould have watched it.

The only thing the NFL cares about is money. They will say or do anything to keep the golden goose laying eggs. This is an organization that refused to admit to its own players up until a few years ago that concussions might be bad for your brain despite overwhelming evidence. I watch the NFL for entertainment. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT