ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse booster offers 6-7 figures for 24 Philly guard

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

I appreciate some of these guys doing this out in the open but how in the world is this not pay for play? A booster using money to recruit a kid to a school is still an NCAA violation.

Reactions: Pittnerski
I agree. Just because NIL is legal doesn’t make this not a violation. If the NIL deal is contingent upon him signing with Syracuse, it violates NCAA rules. No different than offering a kid a summer job in the old days. Summer jobs are legal, but not as an inducement to sign.

Weirsman’s justification of this is worse than if he kept quiet and did it silently. He took two recruits and their families to a Syracuse game on unofficial visits, where they all sat court side. Usually, players have to pay for their own unofficial visits but he says Syracuse signed off on the idea because he only was discussing his NIL deals with them and their families, not choosing Syracuse.

And, what are those NIL deals? Promoting charitable and other non-profit activities IN SYRACUSE, NY. Now, what other college could they attend on an athletic scholarship and make money promoting charities and non-profit events in SYRACUSE, NY? You think if they sign with Villanova those deals still are on the table?

These deals are public because this guy thinks he is too smart for the NCAA. He publicly announces them in advance to reporters because he thinks he and his lawyers are too smart for the NCAA. And, the sad part is that he is right.

Last edited:
I agree. Just because NIL is legal doesn’t make this not a violation. If the NIL deal is contingent upon him signing with Syracuse, it violates NCAA rules. No different than offering a kid a summer job in the old days. Summer jobs are legal, but not as an inducement to sign.

Weirsman’s justification of this is worse than if he kept quiet and did it silently. He took two recruits and their families to a Syracuse game on unofficial visits, where they all sat court side. Usually, players have to pay for their own unofficial visits but he says Syracuse signed off on the idea because he only was discussing his NIL deals with them and their families, not choosing Syracuse.

And, what are those NIL deals? Promoting charitable and other non-profit activities IN SYRACUSE, NY. Now, what other college could they attend on an athletic scholarship and make money promoting charities and non-profit events in SYRACUSE, NY? You think if they sign with Villanova those deals still are on the table?

These deals are public because this guy thinks he is too smart for the NCAA. He publicly announces them in advance to reporters because he thinks he and his lawyers are too smart for the NCAA. And, the sad part is that he is right.

I was wondering why Jalen Hurts was at the Syr/UVa game 24 hours after the NFC Championship and why Josh Allen was at the Pitt game. Apparently this guy is paying celebrities to attend Syracuse games and in some cases, sit next to prospective recruits. At the very least, the NCAA has to tell these schools to keep these types of deals secret because its such a clear violation but they dont want to punish anyone. This guy and Ruiz from Miami are shouting from the rooftops that they are paying players to come to their team.

I also love how all these kids are making 6 figures promoting charities. Lets say Najee Harris or Kenny Pickett does a commercial for Project Bundle Up or some other local charity. How much could that charity possible pay them? How much are they worth to that charity? I would guess 10K-20K for local megastars. But these college kids are getting 6 figures for charity?

Jim Boeheim. “Get off my lawn”

He’s turning into the worst angry curmudgeon of all time. Plus he was and is a notorious cheater.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

I appreciate some of these guys doing this out in the open but how in the world is this not pay for play? A booster using money to recruit a kid to a school is still an NCAA violation.
If Boeheim is still coaching I am not real concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT