ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse match

11:00 is not surprising...and makes sense.
-I believe the team left for Boston early Friday.
-They have 2 full time jobs - as students and athletes.
-They played Friday night in Boston and did not return to Pittsburgh.
-On to Syracuse where they stayed Saturday night.
-There's really no reason for them to experience down time on a Sunday morning, waiting for a 1PM start time.
-11AM may seem early from a fan's standpoint, but I'm sure both the players and coaches would like to "get out of dodge" as early as possible and return home.

This was a really nice match. Good to see the back ups getting PT. Fairbanks needs the rest. Team looked fluid, focused. Nice to see Ryla get back in there. Syracuse is not a very good team.

Last edited:
.Pitt wins match 3-0
As I think we expected....convincing win by Pitt. Some numbers...

• Another 3 - 0 sweep.....average margin of victory/set was 11 points.....a 25 - 14 average win/set. It was never competitive....even with Fisher resting multiple starters.
  • Syracuse only produced 10 pts/set....and gave back 11 pts/set to Pitt. Pitt produced 18 pts/set (slightly below average) and gave back only 6 pts/set.
  • We gave back 9 pts/set against Boston College....so it was great to get that back to 6 pts/set. That's how to win a match.
  • Kudos to Buzlutepe....37 assists and 7 digs.....very well done.
  • Stafford hit .560....2 attack errors....16 points....good Lord.....otherworldly as some of you have remarked.
  • For the match Pitt hit .372....Syracuse .023....typical of a Pitt sweep.
Pitt returns home to enjoy 5 of the next 6 matches at the Fitzgerald and the Pete. The lone away game is SMU....Stanford, SMU, and Louisville along with Cal and Notre Dame are all in Pittsburgh to end the month of October. Pitt's march towards the national championship becomes more difficult....more competitive with these matches. Fisher and staff will have them ready.....no doubt.

In case you didn't notice.....Pitt football entered the coaches poll this afternoon at #24......more to celebrate along with a #1 women's volleyball team and #1 men's soccer team.

Last edited:
As referenced in multiple prior posts, good to see Fisher rest Fairbanks and Kelley for the entire match & to get some (potentially) important PT for back-ups.
Other:
-Anyone watching Pitt knows that Stafford and Babcock really get up in the air. 'Anyone notice Gariboldi? She really has "hops." I couldn't help but notice that she had 2 blocks in limited minutes, but also got her hands on several other Syracuse kills - unfortunately at 6'1", she's at a real disadvantage. A few of these partials turned it Syracuse points as her block went out of bounds or the Pitt D was out of sync given the change in ball trajectory.
-While Stafford, Babcock, Fairbanks, VVG, Kelley, and Jones have all been rested recently, I do not recall Fisher taking out Klicka once all season, except when she's been substituted out by Meyer to serve. I guess this means that the team doesn't have a "legit" backup for her at libero......though Meyer and Griffin are listed on the roster as L/DS.

As referenced in multiple prior posts, good to see Fisher rest Fairbanks and Kelley for the entire match & to get some (potentially) important PT for back-ups.
Other:
-Anyone watching Pitt knows that Stafford and Babcock really get up in the air. 'Anyone notice Gariboldi? She really has "hops." I couldn't help but notice that she had 2 blocks in limited minutes, but also got her hands on several other Syracuse kills - unfortunately at 6'1", she's at a real disadvantage. A few of these partials turned it Syracuse points as her block went out of bounds or the Pitt D was out of sync given the change in ball trajectory.
-While Stafford, Babcock, Fairbanks, VVG, Kelley, and Jones have all been rested recently, I do not recall Fisher taking out Klicka once all season, except when she's been substituted out by Meyer to serve. I guess this means that the team doesn't have a "legit" backup for her at libero......though Meyer and Griffin are listed on the roster as L/DS.
I love Garbaldi’s bounce and energy and swing but man is she short - I think 6’1 is generous. That really impacts her block because she has to time her jumps so perfectly to be at peak height.

I think there was one set I can remember where Meyer played libero the whole set but overall you’re right. I think there’s a major drop off. I also think there’s less concern for an injury for a libero since they aren’t jumping at the net like everyone else

Around the NCAA this weekend, it appears that just about all the ranked teams took care of business.

I love Garbaldi’s bounce and energy and swing but man is she short - I think 6’1 is generous. That really impacts her block because she has to time her jumps so perfectly to be at peak height.

I think there was one set I can remember where Meyer played libero the whole set but overall you’re right. I think there’s a major drop off. I also think there’s less concern for an injury for a libero since they aren’t jumping at the net like everyone else
I think I saw her listed at 5-11 in the roster. I think that is accurate. I have trouble seeing her as a long term midde.

Reactions: chrisran24
Around the NCAA this weekend, it appears that just about all the ranked teams took care of business.
17th ranked SMU (Pitt's next opponent) had all they could handle from BC. The match went to 5 sets....SMU winning the 5th...15 - 10. A lot of errors from both teams. Remember....SMU is the team that handed Nebraska their only loss. Looking forward to seeing the match up with Pitt on Wednesday.

Syracuse is not a very good team.

It was funny listening to the game announcers talking about them like they were much improved, to the point that they agreed that while they were picked to finish last in the ACC this year their realistic goal should be to finish in the middle of the pack in the conference. Based mostly on the fact that they were 12-0 in the non-conference.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, they built that non-conference record by playing only one power conference team, Iowa State (who is 8-6 on the season), and beating them in five sets. Their other non-con wins are against schools like NJIT, Columbia and LeMoyne. And so far this year in the ACC they are 0-4 with three sweeps and one 3-1 loss against Duke. And today Pitt felt perfectly comfortable using their backups extensively and yet still beat them pretty easily.

Maybe they should worry about winning an ACC match before they start thinking about making it up to the middle of the conference standings.

It was funny listening to the game announcers talking about them like they were much improved, to the point that they agreed that while they were picked to finish last in the ACC this year their realistic goal should be to finish in the middle of the pack in the conference. Based mostly on the fact that they were 12-0 in the non-conference.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, they built that non-conference record by playing only one power conference team, Iowa State (who is 8-6 on the season), and beating them in five sets. Their other non-con wins are against schools like NJIT, Columbia and LeMoyne. And so far this year in the ACC they are 0-4 with three sweeps and one 3-1 loss against Duke. And today Pitt felt perfectly comfortable using their backups extensively and yet still beat them pretty easily.

Maybe they should worry about winning an ACC match before they start thinking about making it up to the middle of the conference standings.
Or maybe winning a set or 2. Winning a match seems to be above their skill level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT