ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse thoughts

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
-As of today, SU is an NCAA tourney team, but they have been wildly inconsistent because their offense is hit or miss. They have lots of talent, but they often look disjointed, especially on offense.
-We can beat them, but it won't be easy. We have not been a good team facing the zone and as everyone knows, SU can really play a very good zone.
-As tall as FSU was, SU is taller. They are the tallest D1 team in the country. You just can't simulate their zone, so I am worried that this could be a tough game for us.
-Jamie's teams used to carve up the zone and we would either beat it via the baseline or the foul line. I think this current team has guys who can do some damage on the baseline, but not quite sure who would be effective at the foul line.
-Overall, I am just eagerly looking forward to another challenging game for our young team. It will be very interesting to see how we try to attack the zone.

-As of today, SU is an NCAA tourney team, but they have been wildly inconsistent because their offense is hit or miss. They have lots of talent, but they often look disjointed, especially on offense.
-We can beat them, but it won't be easy. We have not been a good team facing the zone and as everyone knows, SU can really play a very good zone.
-As tall as FSU was, SU is taller. They are the tallest D1 team in the country. You just can't simulate their zone, so I am worried that this could be a tough game for us.
-Jamie's teams used to carve up the zone and we would either beat it via the baseline or the foul line. I think this current team has guys who can do some damage on the baseline, but not quite sure who would be effective at the foul line.
-Overall, I am just eagerly looking forward to another challenging game for our young team. It will be very interesting to see how we try to attack the zone.
Ellison was effective setting up just a few feet above the foul line as a passer against Iowa’s zone. Perhaps we will see that again.

Reactions: TreesHero
Positives for Pitt vs. Syracuse:

1) Syracuse uses a VERY short bench (basically 7 players), and we have tons of guards/wings who attack the rim like crazy and put opponents into foul trouble. Within 10 minutes, the Cuse could have trouble keeping the guys they want on the floor.
2) They're tall and talented, but also prone to huge offensive letdowns due to sloppiness and lack of discipline. If there's one thing an unrelenting, aggressive defense like ours is going to do to a team prone to losing its focus, is make them lose focus.
3) Capel has been in this league for a long time. He knows a thing or two about what good preparation for Syracuse looks like. He has had our team prepared for big games this year.
4) We haven't been consistent from 3 this year, but we've shown some nice flashes across the roster, and now they're spotting up against a zone whose first priority is stopping our very aggressive drivers. We might have enough open looks to get hot from deep.

I assume you aren't going this time because of the weather?

Ellison was effective setting up just a few feet above the foul line as a passer against Iowa’s zone. Perhaps we will see that again.

He was a little bit effective for a handful of trips. But if he can make a game of this, I like our chances.

Mcgowens is taking on Battle on defense and Toney will check Hughes probably. Their 2 best offensive players are going against our 2 best defenders. Johnson should dominate Frank Howard who has been on 1 leg most of the season with his bad ankle. Howard better watch the foul trouble. He's been good this year staying out of it but if hes in foul trouble Syracuse offense turns into a train wreck. Its why they lost to a horrible Uconn team and was killed by Oregon, no Howard in those games and zero offensive flow. Cuse basically ran 6 guys against Duke. A couple reserves got spare minutes. They have zero depth. Get them in foul trouble and the the scale quickly tips in our favor. If we lose tomorrow it will be by a few points at the most imo. I like our chances

I'm a huge homer for the new team and Capel, let me get that on the record right away. I like what I think can happen in the next few years.

Having said that, I feel this is a terrible road matchup for our young , evolving Panthers I know they will fight, the games I've watched this year says they will. But UNC put a zone display on at the Pete that shut down the offense and completely turned the game into a blowout. Syracuse is the zone capital of the world, so it goes without saying i don't like the matchup at all given our previous early season history against a zone.

The team is eager, and they battle, so there is always a chance. They also blunder a ton of plays. The Panthers can win I just don't know If they can be consistent enough to pull it out.

In my view it's pretty simple. Syracuse is going to pack the lane. That's
easy to do when you're in a zone. It's even easier when you don't
defend the outside jumpshot, and I feel they're going to make us
have to beat them with outside shooting. Since outside shooting is
not our strong point, I gotta believe we're gonna get some open
looks from three land.
As for us, I'd like to see us move the ball and create gaps in their zone.
If we can do that, we might be able to get into those gaps and take it to
the rim. That's what we do best offensively. If we can get to the rim for
layups and dunks we can win. Syracuse knows this and will try and force
us outside. My interrest lies in the two coach's strategies and especially
if we can get inside and score or get fouled.

Last edited:
JWF is the key today
I think Trey is the key. We need him to translate his home mojo to the road. Not that he needs to drop 30+ , but 15-20 pts , getting to the line, and a few steals will give Pitt a great chance to win.

In my view it's pretty simple. Syracuse is going to pack the lane. That's
easy to do when you're in a zone. It's even easier when you don't
defend the outside jumpshot, and I feel they're going to make us
have to beat them with outside shooting. Since outside shooting is
not our strong point, I gotta believe we're gonna get some open
looks from three land.
As for us, I'd like to see us move the ball and create gaps in their zone.
If we can do that, we might be able to get into those gaps and take it to
the rim. That's what we do best offensively. If we can get to the rim for
layups and dunks we can win. Syracuse knows this and will try and force
us outside. My interrest lies in the two coach's strategies and especially
if we can get inside and score or get fouled.
It would be nice to see Frame hit a few shots today!

Sure would be a great time for JWF to break out of his slump

But the truth is if Pitt is chucking up a bunch of threes this game will be ugly. The cuse forced the dukies to chuck up threes and they won

Reactions: Pitt5593
2 Biggest Keys to the Game
1) Rebounding
2) Limit Turnovers

If we do these 2 things, then SU will eventually get frustrated and holes will start to open in their zone.

Coach C said Thursday they’ve been studying film on how Jamie broke press. Said worst thing they could do is to pass around perimeter then launch a bad shot. Will be fun to watch

Reactions: pitt-girl
I think Pitt will press cuse and attempt to get turnovers. I think Pitts quickness’s could bother the cuse

Will be extremely important for Pitt to stay out of foul trouble if/when the Panthers press or try to play very aggressively on D.

Neither team can or will go real deep. But the SU zone typically does not lend to their guys getting into a lot of foul trouble.

Coach C said Thursday they’ve been studying film on how Jamie broke press. Said worst thing they could do is to pass around perimeter then launch a bad shot. Will be fun to watch

Exactly! "Passing it around the perimeter" is what they want us to do
since it forces us into an outside jumpshot which is not our stength,

Were going to need frame to hit some shots and probably tony hit some shots at the foul line. Not sure how we are going to rebound but we have to find away. It will be interesting to see how Capel goes after the zone. It prevents issues cause we have drivers to the hoop and the zone prevents that. Need to pass the ball quickly and accurately and take the shot.

Going to be hard to win but Capel so far has shown he comes up with good game planes. He has really shown to be a good coach in preparing his team. Talent wise we’re not that far behind them. Crazy to say that only after one year after stallings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT