Cuse then went for a game
ending 32 pts in the Qtr.
Cuse is better than we are,
but they're not great. We
actually were in it and I
thought had a chance. Oh
well, stupid me.

Last edited:
That zone sucks balls. It's pathetic. Cuse scored 56 in the second half.
Some of those 3's Cuse
made were from way
Downtown. My problem
was White didn't adjust.
When they're hitting from
that far, do something. I
mentioned a Box and 1 on
Dy Fair who was unconscious
from deep. You have to do
something. Bringing in the
three frosh and taking out
our best players when we
got it close, was beyond
reason.

By the way, Amy Hayford
got 0 minutes. I've criticized
her for 4 years, but she has
improved. To cast her aside
after trying to make a pg
out of her is wrong. Malcolm
got 24+ minutes. This team
is going nowhere. Discarding
a player like Amy is wrong at
this point in her career. At
least get her on the floor for
a few minutes. It won't affect
the program long term. This
guy IMO has no business
coaching this team.

Chescat when those freshmen were in together in the second quarter they made a 14-2 run. They brought that team back by halftime. Malcolm scoring 9 of those points going 3/3 from the 3. I don't care if those were open looks or not they were made baskets more than any other player made from the outside. i am not sure how you say she is a defense liability. I think playing a zone on a team that is hitting outside shots is a liability in itself. She only had 1 turnover. She should be getting the minutes. And just because you are an upper classmen and have been on the team for years does not mean you are guaranteed playing time, you don't even get that in high school ball. You are right in that there is no adjustments.

Reactions: jctrack
Chescat when those freshmen were in together in the second quarter they made a 14-2 run. They brought that team back by halftime. Malcolm scoring 9 of those points going 3/3 from the 3. I don't care if those were open looks or not they were made baskets more than any other player made from the outside. i am not sure how you say she is a defense liability. I think playing a zone on a team that is hitting outside shots is a liability in itself. She only had 1 turnover. She should be getting the minutes. And just because you are an upper classmen and have been on the team for years does not mean you are guaranteed playing time, you don't even get that in high school ball. You are right in that there is no adjustments.
I agree. Pitt needs some of these players, like Hayford, to hit the portal. I imagine sitting them on the bench is sending that message. Hopefully the right ones move on…

And play the freshmen - you have nothing to lose. The 3 freshmen had a big part in the 19-2 run. That run looked like the best basketball Pitt has played since Coach White got here…

Hate to say it, but Coach has let this team down by not having a center on this team - which resulted from him bringing in one center in 5 years. Okay, maybe 1.5 centers if you want to count Cynthia - but they were both in his first real recruiting class. What has happened since then???

Go Pitt.

Yup, Malcolm did hit those
threes early when they
made their run. However
in the 4th Qtr when we
were making a comeback,
all three freshman were
put in the game at once.
King, probably our best
player was taken out. I
like these freshman, but
at that point in the game,
a wholesale substitution
was the wrong move. This
is bball not football. It's
not a game where you
"platoon." White does it
anyway, and often at the
wrong time as in this
game.Cuse ran away
from us at that point.
Our best ball handlers
Lewis and Harris were on
on the bench as were
King and Johnson.

Only one TO?? Malcolm
let two passes go right
thru her hands. My
point is the three of
them did not need to
be in at crunch time.

As for being an upper
classman and playing
time, of course it's not
guaranteed. I was only
talking about Hayford,
Personally, I feel she
never should have been
playing these past 4 yrs.
Suddenly dumping her
and giving her ZERO min
is wrong.

did see one go through her hands but that is it. Only one turnover on stat sheet. And you can not say that one mistake is the reason she should not be playing considering how many turnovers this team has. Having ball handlers in at the end would not have made the difference maybe changing up the defense in the second half would have.

Well, I saw two regardless
of the stat sheet. However,
that's not the point. The
players that made the run
were taken out with a little
over 5 min. remaining. Yes,
the ball handlers were key,
and more importantly so
was King (our best player).
Three frosh all at once at
crunch time is my problem.
For the umpteenth time, I
like all three of em. I don't
like "platooning." This is
Bball, not football. You
really are going overboard
on Malcolm. I like her, she's
clearly our best outside
shooter. I just didn't want
all three of em in there at
crunch time.

And play the freshmen - you have nothing to lose. The 3 freshmen had a big part in the 19-2 run. That run looked like the best basketball Pitt has played since Coach White got here…

Yes play the freshmen.
the team looked great on
the 19-2 run. Yes Malcolm
hit the threes. However if
you say all of that, you also
have to say what happened
when Cuse scored 32 in
that 4th Qtr. THAT is crunch
time. That's when it's all
on the line, and that's when
I wanted King our best player
on the floor. I'm not picking
on Malcolm or any of these
three frosh. Platooning at
that point was a mistake. If
you read what I'm saying,
you can see my criticism
is directed at White, not
Malcolm or the other frosh.

BTW....why that 19-2 run
looked so great? Besides
our looking good, and our
frosh playing well, Cuse
couldn't put the ball in the
ocean. Their best player
went 0 fer. She then came
back and laid 22 on us in
the second half. we didn't
stop playing defense, Cuse
started hitting shots from
outside, and they also
adjusted and got shots in
the lane which they also
hit. My problem is with
White, not the frosh, and
not with Malcolm.

Well, I saw two regardless
of the stat sheet.

Yeah, there were clearly two passes, both on the wing opposite the Pitt bench, that went right through her hands. Obviously they gave the turnover on one of them to the person who made the pass. And that would have been a scoring mistake.

And yes, she hit three threes in the first half. Here was her line in the second half. She played 19 minutes in the second half. She scored 0 points. She had 0 rebounds. She had 1 assist. She got "credit" for 1 turnover. She committed 3 fouls.

It is pretty much not possible to play as much as she did in the second half and have so little impact on the game offensively. If she isn't making shots she does nothing else at all to help you win a game. She doesn't have the handle yet so she doesn't beat anyone off the bounce. She isn't a particularly good passer yet. Because all she ever does on offense is to stand at the three point line waiting for the ball she doesn't get any offensive rebounds. And she is a below average defender.

I know that you would think that she's going to improve, hopefully at all of those things. And she should be playing at least some every game. But right now, if she's not making shots she is an absolute liability on both ends of the court.

Reactions: Chescat
Actually it's a shame that
this thread became about
Malcolm instead of about
Coach White; his substituting,
his zone, and his reluctance
to change up on D, etc etc.
Obviouslywe agree that
she should see floor time,
she can shoot when open,
and will more than likely
be a good player here.
Also at this point, parts
of her game are a liability.

I assume you were at the
game. I'm curious what did
you think when White
subbed with five plus
minutes left while we were
seemingly closing the gap?

this thread became about
Malcolm instead of about
Obviouslywe agree that
she can shoot when open,
be a good player here.

I assume you were at the
you think when White
subbed with five plus

The game was at Syracuse, so I was not there. But the game was on the ACC network, so I watched most of it. I wasn't home until around 6 and didn't think to turn the television on until about 20 after, so it was at the beginning of the second quarter when I started watching.

I have given up trying to make sense out of the substitution patterns we have seen this year. It's to the point that I wonder if he spins a chuck-a-luck wheel on the sideline and does what it says.

"Magic wheel, who should I put into the game? Oh, it's Gabby Hutcherson! Well magic wheel, who should she replace? Liatu King!"

And I agree, it's not about Malcolm. She isn't putting herself in the game, and she's not keeping herself on the bench the games that she doesn't play. She is a "symptom", not the "disease".

14 more games plus the ACC tournament to go.

Yeah, there were clearly two passes, both on the wing opposite the Pitt bench, that went right through her hands. Obviously they gave the turnover on one of them to the person who made the pass. And that would have been a scoring mistake.

And yes, she hit three threes in the first half. Here was her line in the second half. She played 19 minutes in the second half. She scored 0 points. She had 0 rebounds. She had 1 assist. She got "credit" for 1 turnover. She committed 3 fouls.

It is pretty much not possible to play as much as she did in the second half and have so little impact on the game offensively. If she isn't making shots she does nothing else at all to help you win a game. She doesn't have the handle yet so she doesn't beat anyone off the bounce. She isn't a particularly good passer yet. Because all she ever does on offense is to stand at the three point line waiting for the ball she doesn't get any offensive rebounds. And she is a below average defender.

I know that you would think that she's going to improve, hopefully at all of those things. And she should be playing at least some every game. But right now, if she's not making shots she is an absolute liability on both ends of the

this thread became about
Malcolm instead of about
Obviouslywe agree that
she can shoot when open,
be a good player here.

I assume you were at the
you think when White
subbed with five plus
You made it about Malcolm in your opening post. When you name players by name you are making it about them. If you wanted to just make a statement about Coach White you should not bring players names into it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
You made it about Malcolm in your opening post. When you name players by name you are making it about them. If you wanted to just make a statement about Coach White you should not bring players names into it.

It's hard to discuss a game without actually, you know, talking about the players.

Her playing time, because it is so erratic, encapsulates some of the substitution issues pretty well.

Yes you were very detailed in your critique of her in trying to get the substitution situation. But what you forgot to mention is she came off the bench after sitting for two games before sitting for 15 mins before she got in and hit 3 threes to get them back into the game. And you forgot to mention in the second half they had their best player guarding her the whole time and maybe she sits on the three point line because that is where the play puts her therefore being out of position to rebound.
I have said before that I have watched her play high school and AAU ball and she can play. 20 different D1 schools could not have been wrong in recruiting her.
It is easy to sit from home and critique these girls but you have no idea what their capabilities are especially if not put in the right situation to do well

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I just re read my "opening
post." Sorry but I disagree.
Not until the third paragraph
did I even mention her, and
that was only mentioning
hertwo missed passes and
seeing her as a liability
on D. Of course throughout
my posts I talked of her
shooting ability, and that I
liked her and all three of
the frosh

Now, since you're so free
with your personal critique
of my opinions....here's
how I see yours. You are
overly sensitive to the
fact that she's a local
star out of the WPIAL,
and God forbid if anyone
criticizes her play. Take
off the blinders and
look at her objectively.
I'm able to do that even if
I'm, as you said, "sitting
at home. Your very name
name on here explains it
all.

It is easy to sit from home and critique these girls

Well actually I go to the games and critique the players, so there is that.

Right now she is a lesser version of what Alayna Gribble was when she came to Pitt out of Norwin. That doesn't mean that she can't get better. Gribble certainly did before her injury that ended her Pitt career. But right now she is a net negative player. And when she isn't making shots she literally does nothing else to help the team win.

And Syracuse most certainly did not have their best defender guarding her the whole second half. That's just silly. They don't NEED to have a top defender guard her, they merely need someone to play her close enough so that she doesn't get wide open shots, because she doesn't have the handle to beat good college defenders off the bounce. Which was evident the couple times she tried to do it and couldn't.

Well actually I go to the games and critique the players, so there is that.

Right now she is a lesser version of what Alayna Gribble was when she came to Pitt out of Norwin. That doesn't mean that she can't get better. Gribble certainly did before her injury that ended her Pitt career. But right now she is a net negative player. And when she isn't making shots she literally does nothing else to help the team win.

And Syracuse most certainly did not have their best defender guarding her the whole second half. That's just silly. They don't NEED to have a top defender guard her, they merely need someone to play her close enough so that she doesn't get wide open shots, because she doesn't have the handle to beat good college defenders off the bounce. Which was evident the couple times she tried to do it and couldn't.

Interesting how you added
to this thread and critiqued
her so accurately. My intent
as you know was to focus
on Coach White and his
ridiculous substituting and
only mention the frosh and
Macolm objectively, but
also adding some positive
comments.

So with that in mind, I'm
going to objestively critique
her from a different look. I
wasn't in the Cuse locker
room at half time, but sitting
at home (LOL) there is no
doubt in my mind what went
on. Their coach focused on
on adjustments to be made.
As for Malcolm, I'm sure it
was .....#12, Malcolm. Get up
in her face. She can't
create, she's not quick enough
to get by you, and don't give
her that outside shot. You
already saw the scouting
report on her. She's a stand
still shooter and isn't going
to penetrate and beat you
one on one off the dribble.
I don't want her getting off
an open shot !

This will be my last post on here. I thought this was a place to talk about basketball not critique, criticize and call out players. Especially the young ones. I just hope them and their families were smarter than me to start reading these. They have enough that they are going through then to worry about people like you commenting on them. I also hope if Coach White does get let go that you 2 with all your knowledge of basketball and spot on player profiles you apply get the job so they can finally win the ACC

This will be my last post on here. I thought this was a place to talk about basketball not critique, criticize and call out players. Especially the young ones. I just hope them and their families were smarter than me to start reading these. They have enough that they are going through then to worry about people like you commenting on them. I also hope if Coach White does get let go that you 2 with all your knowledge of basketball and spot on player profiles you apply get the job so they can finally win the ACC

You know that she is playing college basketball, and that people comment on college basketball players all the time, right? In fact pretty much the reason that boards like this exist is to talk about the players and coaches and what happened in the games, right?

But I agree, if all you are interested in is people blowing smoke and never saying anything bad about anyone ever then yeah, an internet sports message board isn't the place for you.

Well since you stated
"you 2" you're including
me in your "last post." I
can assure you as the
OP I want nothing but
the best for these young
women. As has already
been pointed out to you
by the above poster, this
IS a sports message board.
Critiquing games, coaches,
and yes, players is part of
what goes on not only here,
but sport message boards
throughout the good ole
USA.

As far as knowing what
players are going thru and
what coaches do or don't
do, be rest assured, some
of us have been there and
done that. I would suggest
you lighten up, take all of
this less seriously, and see
it for what it is.

Well since you stated
"you 2" you're including
me in your "last post." I
can assure you as the
OP I want nothing but
the best for these young
women. As has already
been pointed out to you
by the above poster, this
IS a sports message board.
Critiquing games, coaches,
and yes, players is part of
what goes on not only here,
but sport message boards
throughout the good ole
USA.

As far as knowing what
players are going thru and
what coaches do or don't
do, be rest assured, some
of us have been there and
done that. I would suggest
you lighten up, take all of
this less seriously, and see
it for what it is.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can talk about basketball without talking about the players.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can talk about basketball without talking about the players.
Well, since we can't "figure
out" White's lack of a
normal player rotation,
and also his substitution
process which defies any
sense of logic......why
would either one of us
undersstand how to talk
about basketball games
without talking about
players.:) Well, as you
know that was rhetorical