ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating work-around

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
OK, so you aren't allowed in your pre-sold lot until 5. Couldn't you just show up at 10AM (or whenever) and pay for that same lot because you are, you know, also going to the Pirates game (wink wink). How much would that cost $20? I get that its unfair to pay for the same spot twice but since Pittsburgh insists on continuing to field a baseball team, there aren't any good options here. Its either noon or 8PM with either limited tailgating or having to pay for a Pirates parking spot

OK, so you aren't allowed in your pre-sold lot until 5. Couldn't you just show up at 10AM (or whenever) and pay for that same lot because you are, you know, also going to the Pirates game (wink wink). How much would that cost $20? I get that its unfair to pay for the same spot twice but since Pittsburgh insists on continuing to field a baseball team, there aren't any good options here. Its either noon or 8PM with either limited tailgating or having to pay for a Pirates parking spot

Yes you could but the problem is come 1:30PM apparently the City Police will be walking the Parking lots making sure no one is still tailigating from the Pirate game.

But doing what you said will allow you to be in your spot, in your lot ready to go by 5PM.

With some of these lots, they are going to clear them out b4 letting people in. If you have a pitt pass, you can stay, if not, you have to go.

The real question is, if you aren’t there but your car is and it’s an hour past the pirate game finish, will they tow your car? I doubt it but I don’t want to take that gamble.

Yes you could but the problem is come 1:30PM apparently the City Police will be walking the Parking lots making sure no one is still tailigating from the Pirate game.

But doing what you said will allow you to be in your spot, in your lot ready to go by 5PM.

I doubt that. Where does it say that? If you buy a parking spot for the Pirate game in your pre-sold Pitt lot, I find it very hard to believe that cops are going to come by at 1:30 and tell you that you cannot tailgate until the final out is recorded in the Pirate game. If you buy a spot for the Pirates game, you can do anything you want with that spot.

I doubt that. Where does it say that? If you buy a parking spot for the Pirate game in your pre-sold Pitt lot, I find it very hard to believe that cops are going to come by at 1:30 and tell you that you cannot tailgate until the final out is recorded in the Pirate game. If you buy a spot for the Pirates game, you can do anything you want with that spot.

It is right in the press release from the school. If you are in an Alco parkign lot, there is no tailgaiting allowed between 1:30 and 5.

ALCO Parking and the Pittsburgh Police will be enforcing a No Tailgate Policy from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. All vehicles without a pre-sold Pitt parking pass will need to exit the lots 30 minutes following the end of the Pirates game.

Cops can do what they want. I’ve had people tell me to close shop at my tailgate after pitt game started and those were attendants. If Pgh cops don’t want you tailgating at 1:30, you aren’t tailgating.

What really confuses me is why they are letting some people into lots at 3pm but not letting them tailgate til 5pm. That doesn’t even make sense to me.

It is right in the press release from the school. If you are in an Alco parkign lot, there is no tailgaiting allowed between 1:30 and 5.

ALCO Parking and the Pittsburgh Police will be enforcing a No Tailgate Policy from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. All vehicles without a pre-sold Pitt parking pass will need to exit the lots 30 minutes following the end of the Pirates game.

OK, but I think that's just meant to scare people away from doing it. ALCO and the city allow Kenny Chesney fans to destroy the North Shore once a year. I highly doubt they are going to be real strict about this 1:30-5:00 prohibition on tailgating. Worst-case scenario, a cop comes over to you at 2:00 and tells you to leave, go to a bar until 3:30 or 4 and go back to your tailgate.

Apparently things are getting so bad that a Pitt fan could get tossed into the slammer if they’re caught eating a kielbasa sandwich....

OK, but I think that's just meant to scare people away from doing it. ALCO and the city allow Kenny Chesney fans to destroy the North Shore once a year. I highly doubt they are going to be real strict about this 1:30-5:00 prohibition on tailgating. Worst-case scenario, a cop comes over to you at 2:00 and tells you to leave, go to a bar until 3:30 or 4 and go back to your tailgate.
Of course it’s met to scare people away. They won’t have 100% compliance on the rule nor do they expect too. I’m sure someone will be drinking a beer and eating a hot dog in a lot before 5pm.

Of course it’s met to scare people away. They won’t have 100% compliance on the rule nor do they expect too. I’m sure someone will be drinking a beer and eating a hot dog in a lot before 5pm.

Which is why I say if tailgating is that important to you, buy into your presold lot early.

I think the 3 o'clock lots are a way of reducing the gridlock by having a staggered entry time

Cops can do what they want. I’ve had people tell me to close shop at my tailgate after pitt game started and those were attendants. If Pgh cops don’t want you tailgating at 1:30, you aren’t tailgating.

What really confuses me is why they are letting some people into lots at 3pm but not letting them tailgate til 5pm. That doesn’t even make sense to me.
three hours of drinking pregame as opposed to five hours of drinking pregame in regards to potential rivalry game issues seems to make sense to me... not saying I agree with it but it makes sense in their minds..

I have a cunning plan.....I think SMF might be right. I park for the Pitt games in the Gold 1 garage. It goes for $8 for the Pirates' games, according to the info on the web, and opens four hours before Pirates' games. It does not look like they pre-sell passes for the Gold 1 garage for the Pirates' games. I am thinking if I show up at 900 am, I can pay $8, tailgate until 130 pm, put my Pitt pass on the rearview, then do something else, return at 500 pm, and tailgate until game time.

I am going to the Pirate game and was told I could park in my Pitt lot, Red 7A, pay 15 dollars for the Pirate game, and leave my car there with the Pitt parking pass showing on the dash. I guess your problem would be that you can't start a tailgate until 5PM.

Reactions: Swervin27
three hours of drinking pregame as opposed to five hours of drinking pregame in regards to potential rivalry game issues seems to make sense to me... not saying I agree with it but it makes sense in their minds..
Are you kidding? How are you supposed to enjoy a football game if you can't drink your face off for a full 5 hours first? Isn't it the tailgate that is the priority here?

Are you kidding? How are you supposed to enjoy a football game if you can't drink your face off for a full 5 hours first? Isn't it the tailgate that is the priority here?
to reiterate...not saying I agree

And few realize that that glass containers (bottled beer, etc.) are not permitted in their parking lots. Wait until they start enforcing that. Enjoy your tailgate now, for, in Pgh, it is soon to become only a memory..

I hope this isn’t sarcasm cause it’s 100% correct.

It is for some people and that’s their prerogative. I’m too old for that crap.
Well, that’s what the bar Louie and Brgr and the 8 other identical chain bars in north shore are for. The older crowd. Plenty of establishments down there with blue moon on tap.

Well, that’s what the bar Louie and Brgr and the 8 other identical chain bars in north shore are for. The older crowd. Plenty of establishments down there with blue moon on tap.

I'm pretty sure it's they other way around. They build places like Bar Louie and Brgr to appeal to the younger crowd that doesn't know any better.

And few realize that that glass containers (bottled beer, etc.) are not permitted in their parking lots. Wait until they start enforcing that. Enjoy your tailgate now, for, in Pgh, it is soon to become only a memory..
Tailgating won't disappear as long as there are some surface lots, Steelers games, and Luke Bryan and Kenny Chesney tours. The latter seem destined for a still long time to come. But the surface lots portion of that equation is becoming the issue.

Soon tailgating will become the pasttime of the 1% (more likely their spoiled teen and twenty something snooty rich kids) ... they'll be the only ones who can afford the premiums for the one or two lots left.

My guess is they are trying to stop people from setting up tables and grills and blocking the travel lanes in the parking lot which will be needed when the Pirates game is over for folks to leave. They won’t give a shit if you are drinking as long as you don’t block the lanes needed to get out. Does that make sense to others. It’s a safety issue and a need to allow fans that want to leave at 4 or 5 to be able to drive through the lanes without running over a drunk Pitt fan playing corn toss and stuffing their face with chicken spread out on a big table and chairs all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT