ADVERTISEMENT

Take two Big 12 teams and two AAC teams to join the ACC

Who are they?
Big 12: WVU and Kansas
AAC: Temple and Cincinnati

Sorry I can't see a reason to give Cincinnati anymore legitimacy than they already have. IF it came to adding 4 more teams, I would take 4 from the B12 and ignore anyone from the AAC. This is the world college football is at, so the ACC better act that way too. The last thing a conference should be doing is giving legitimacy to teams that do not currently have it.

With that said I will play along:

Big 12: WVU and Iowa St - A school that fits in the footprint and already has natural rivals. Since no other schools fit in the footprint, I picked the school that is on the upswing in Football with a great coach who does not seem to be looking to move on from his current position. He seems to want to build a real program at his current school. Again with all that said, I would take 4 from the B12 if the ACC's plan is to take 4- WVU, Iowa St, Okie St, Kansas.

AAC: Navy and Memphis Again I would not want to give legitimacy to any of them but if you are going to, Navy is a great choice that fits in the footprint. It gives ND another traditional partner to entice them. They have a nice tradition with a great fan base in a cool town. Memphis, they are in the footprint enough (Houston's issue is they are far out there) and they are not a Florida school, Miami and FL St bring that recruiting state to us already and they would not want to legitimize USF or UCF more than they are.

Last edited:
People…..just answer the question. Don’t tell me “no”. You don’t have a choice…..you need to pick 2 from each conference.

If it's just for fun, I'd want to add some doable road trips. So Cincinnati and Navy from the AAC, and West Virginia and Maryland from the Big 12. Now, this is made slightly more difficult by the fact that Maryland is not actually in the Big 12. But if I was one to play by the rules, I would start clocking out for my lunches at PharMor.

Taking AAC teams is just dumb. The Big12 wouldn’t even do it to save their own skins.

Not too sure what’s left of the Big12, other than WVU, is worth bothering with.

I love the 1st sentence. This is not the Big East days, no one is going to be stupid enough to give the UCF's/USF/Cincy's of the world another chance to sign. This move is about limiting opportunities not giving them.

I love the 1st sentence. This is not the Big East days, no one is going to be stupid enough to give the UCF's/USF/Cincy's of the world another chance to sign. This move is about limiting opportunities not giving them.
The TV money wasn’t there for the Big12. It’s not going to be there for the PAC12. Some estimates have them just north of AAC money. Maybe the ACC didn’t get the best deal but they got a deal that keeps the conference viable. Polluting the conference with garbage now would be a terrible idea.

What is it with this Temple thing??

Yeah, I don't understand it. I've been seeing them mentioned a lot lately. Is it because of their "market"? I thought markets were less important anymore. Cincy is nice but they fall somewhere between mid-tier P5 programs (like us) and lesser schools (like Temple).

I wouldn't be looking to elevate any non-P5 programs unless required. We'll be back to the late 00s Big East situation again If the ACC were to lose the likes of Clemson and FSU AND we start adding these lesser schools.

Taking AAC teams is just dumb. The Big12 wouldn’t even do it to save their own skins.

Not too sure what’s left of the Big12, other than WVU, is worth bothering with.
Is there a reading comprehension issue….good lord!!!

this may be the worst idea ever proposed. SMF is Jievecat your alternate signon?

Please explain how temple and cincy would strengthen the ACC in any way?thye are small regional city schools from a low tier conference.

They are contiguous. They have both been strong in football and historically are good basketball programs. Stronger academics and bring in new TV markets.

Answer the question!!!
OK, if we were somehow mandated to take either Kansas or WVU and either Temple or Cincy, I would pick:

- Kansas: ACC Basketball is terrible so this would help tremendously plus the KC market is good. I would run it by the TV people though to ensure that Kansas over WVU turns on more TV sets. WVU's lack of a TV market scares me.

- Temple but only if they can 100% guarantee an on-campus stadium. That market is just too good to pass up. If they can't guarantee an OCS, then Cincy.

OK, if we were somehow mandated to take either Kansas or WVU and either Temple or Cincy, I would pick:

- Kansas: ACC Basketball is terrible so this would help tremendously plus the KC market is good. I would run it by the TV people though to ensure that Kansas over WVU turns on more TV sets. WVU's lack of a TV market scares me.

- Temple but only if they can 100% guarantee an on-campus stadium. That market is just too good to pass up. If they can't guarantee an OCS, then Cincy.

you still do not get that TV has wised up and it is no longer about Market but actual viewers. Temple does not bring the Philly market hell it has less of that market than Pitt does the Pittsburgh market.. The Philly market is mostly Penn St and Notre Dame with Temple having a small sliver of it. BUT MOST of the market doesn't care about college football.

That’s not the question retard.

you still do not get that TV has wised up and it is no longer about Market but actual viewers. Temple does not bring the Philly market hell it has less of that market than Pitt does the Pittsburgh market.. The Philly market is mostly Penn St and Notre Dame with Temple having a small sliver of it. BUT MOST of the market doesn't care about college football.
I hate when people say this.

Total viewers ALWAYS has been the #1 thing. However, when you have a home team in a major media market, it provides a sense of security to advertisers that

a) a significant number (to advertisers) of people in that city will watch their home team

b) a smaller number (but still significant) of Home Team fans in that city will begin to watch conference games not involving their team because they now have a vested interested.

What's the best way to prop up your "total viewers?" Ding, ding, ding, you add a team from a major TV market.

Adding a school like WVU is risky AF because although, yes, they have a big fanbase relative to their media market, they have no room for growth. WVU isnt winning any new fans in Morgantown or Charleston. They're already fans. If Temple goes 10-2 1 year in the ACC, all of a sudden, they get massive ratings for that year and some come back the next year.

That’s not the question retard.
OK, any 2 teams from each league:

Big 12
1. TCU
2. OKSt
maybe flip them

American
1. Houston
2. Temple (but only if they guarantee a stadium). If not:
3. UCF (FSU and Miami wouldnt allow though) so:
4. UConn (I know not American anymore but I don't think Cincy or Memphis can be good forever and UConn gives you a decent sized market (Hartford) plus a little of NYC

Yeah, I don't understand it. I've been seeing them mentioned a lot lately. Is it because of their "market"? I thought markets were less important anymore. Cincy is nice but they fall somewhere between mid-tier P5 programs (like us) and lesser schools (like Temple).

I wouldn't be looking to elevate any non-P5 programs unless required. We'll be back to the late 00s Big East situation again If the ACC were to lose the likes of Clemson and FSU AND we start adding these lesser schools.
Unless the ACC were to somehow convince ND to join, and that doesn't appear to be happening, we're there now. Consider Clemson & FSU gone. It may not happen this year or next year, but sometime in the not to distant future, realistically, it's not going to be possible for the ACC to hold on to those programs long term. They are simply losing out on too much money and they won't be able to compete long term when other regional rivals are raking in $20 million more per year.

Reactions: cashisking884
Unless the ACC were to somehow convince ND to join, and that doesn't appear to be happening, we're there now. Consider Clemson & FSU gone. It may not happen this year or next year, but sometime in the not to distant future, realistically, it's not going to be possible for the ACC to hold on to those programs long term. They are simply losing out on too much money and they won't be able to compete long term when other regional rivals are raking in $20 million more per year.
Clemson and FSU leaving is not a given. They could have reached out to other conferences before signing the GOR but went ahead and did it anyway.

What is it with this Temple thing??
I don’t know about Temple but, not surprising although disappointing if you are a fan or alumnus of the school, zero mention of UCONN in any of these discussions.

And to think, not that long ago they were the big dog in BE BB and a school we couldn’t beat when we needed to in FB.

ADVERTISEMENT