ADVERTISEMENT

Taleni Dismissed

Big loss... but to ouster one of your better players, he must have deserved it!

Kudos for the staff for doing the right thing.

It would be nice to actually have an idea of why before blindly lauding (or criticizing) the decision. Pitt is infamous for inconsistency in discipline. Sometimes strangely lax, and other times self-sanctioning in its harshness.

Hopefully (accurate) info will leak and we can draw our own conclusions.

He didn't even play in the PSU game last season.
What's your point? He was a valuable contributor in the other 11 games we played. The coaches themselves said he's our best returning DL. I'm sure there was good cause to can him, but make no mistake, this hurts.

I don't think he played the first 6 games at all (not sure why).
Was really productive though the last 7 games.

It's a loss, anything else mentioned is spin control. Experience just about anywhere on this D would be welcomed.

Reactions: jmcst5
Don't we have a previous Penn State, Juco DT coming in. His name escapes me. Hopefully he can help fill the gap.

So we now lost our 4 best DL, including top 3 DTs, but there are probably still people expecting the DL to be better.

Man are we counting on a unit with basically 0 experienced and talented players.

Think of it this way. Many programs would not have thrown a starter off the team. Recall Jo Pa let a kid play bowl game despite the fact the kid had raped a woman. Recall his excuse-- the PSU Fall semester was over so he was waiting until the Spring semester to punish the player. Can't make this stuff up. Success with honor!

Reactions: PantherDDS
So we now lost our 4 best DL, including top 3 DTs, but there are probably still people expecting the DL to be better.

Man are we counting on a unit with basically 0 experienced and talented players.

What people said we would better?

O talented players? Camp and Watt are every bit as talented as Taleni

Not sure if we will or if we won't be better, but we cannot act like these kids cannot fill in! Either they can play or they cannot play, time to find out is now. While Taleni was good for us down the stretch, he was/is not Sean Gilbert where he is light years better than all these kids! Does it make one a better poster because he has a 1,000 more post than me?

He was a valuable contributor in the other 11 games we played.
No he wasn't. Taleni wasn't even suited up for the first part of the year. Pitt can beat PSU again without him is my point. Love these redshirt seniors who are looked upon to lead but care so little about it.

Last edited:
Probably grades. Isn't this their last week of school?

Definitely not grades as Finals end tomorrow so grades arent even due till early next week.

This is strange considering the staff has been raving about him, he's our best returning DL, and he came on late last season.

When its not grades (and this isnt) and no laws were broken (if there were, the PG would be all over it), there's really only one thing it can be.

I'd imagine he'll grad transfer. Perhaps to Wisconsin with Inoke (his recruiter) or back home to Hawaii.

Reactions: woodpecker1
"I know Taleni was likely to start next season but I'm not sure this is the massive hit a lot of people feel like it is. Defensive tackle play was already going to be down a little from what Pitt got last year from Tyrique Jarrett and Shakir Soto. Trust me, I'm not saying Taleni's loss is a non-factor. But Pitt at least has some quality young guys ready and waiting for an opportunity.

For starters, there's Amir Watts and Rashad Wheeler - both of whom had a gaggle of offers, including Penn State, and chose Pitt. Watts was a presumed starter in Jim's 2017 early defensive depth chart and played in seven games last season with a start against Clemson. Then there's Keyshon Camp, who picked Pitt despite offers from just about everyone, including Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Texas, and USC. Those are three quality guys but then you add juniors Shane Roy and Mike Herndon to the mix.

Not enough? There's Kam Carter, who was a JUCO addition and former Penn State player until he was dismissed from their team. He was already expected to make an impact this year as it was but now, you have to wonder if he could potentially start in part because he has a decent amount of experience. And if you still wanted a little more depth, there's always true freshman Jalen Twyman, who was coveted by Florida, Michigan State, and Tennessee. The plan should be to redshirt him unless they simply can't keep him off the field, but you get my point. Pitt is very, very deep at tackle and has a lot of options."

http://www.cardiachill.com/2017/4/2...rgh-panthers-disciplinary-action-pat-narduzzi

Reactions: EaseJesus
There was a thread about it last week.

They aren't experienced.
Agree, big disappointment on Taleni he was ready to take off, I wondered why he did not play more, I was looking forward to him being the leader on DL.:(:confused::eek:o_O:oops:
Others differ from us?
LINK:

Breaking down the impact of the Jeremiah Taleni loss for Pitt:
As is standard practice, it isn't said what he was dismissed for so I'm not going to play a guessing game. That's not fair to anybody, really. But looking at the impact with him gone is fair game.................
LINK:
http://www.cardiachill.com/2017/4/2...rgh-panthers-disciplinary-action-pat-narduzzi

Last edited:
That one thing being?

Definitely not grades as Finals end tomorrow so grades arent even due till early next week.

This is strange considering the staff has been raving about him, he's our best returning DL, and he came on late last season.

When its not grades (and this isnt) and no laws were broken (if there were, the PG would be all over it), there's really only one thing it can be.

I'd imagine he'll grad transfer. Perhaps to Wisconsin with Inoke (his recruiter) or back home to Hawaii.

That one thing being?

Well, its not grades and nothing is in the police blotter......so you know.

Think Titus Howard, Elijah Fields, Durand Johnson. Unless he got into a physical altercation with a teammate or coach which is extremely doubtful, there's not much else it can be.

maybe, seems he didn't suit up at all the first 6 games last year. maybe strike three.

those two are more talented than Taleni but they have one year in the program while Taleni had 4. There also isn't a ton of depth at the position. This hurts and it hurts a lot. If camp and Watt become monsters then maybe it won't hurt anything but depth but its a major loss at this point.

Talini was a big foundation of that D-Line just because of his experience. The kid I believe was going to have a big year.
But having said that I think this opens up opportunites for some of our young talent to show why they were as highly thought of as they were.....Kamonte Carter will have his chance to really contribute & throw some smackdown to his old school come Sept.
Twyman is another who could really add instant depth & bulk in the middle if he comes to camp ready to play.
Camp & Watt along w/ Herndon, Roy, etc. will have to take on the roles as leaders & step up why they are Pitt Panthers.
Next man up has never been as apt a saying as it is right now for our D-Line.

H2 PITT !!!

Camp and Watt have plenty of talent, but Losing an experienced starter on an already inexperienced unit hurts, and DL requires a lot of quality depth, during a game they rotate in and out more than any other position. Taleni was repeatedly singled out by the coaches this spring as a hugely improved beast. It's a big hit.

I'd really like to know what he did.

Well, its not grades and nothing is in the police blotter......so you know.

Think Titus Howard, Elijah Fields, Durand Johnson. Unless he got into a physical altercation with a teammate or coach which is extremely doubtful, there's not much else it can be.
That's what I'm thinking as well, and it could be one of those deals where he'd offended before and the coaches gave him an ultimatum about it, and he violated it.

I just wish I didn't feel like Pitt plays by one set of rules and the rest of the ncaa plays with a different set. There's got to be a happy medium here somewhere.

Reactions: sherepower
How the hell do we know any of these guys are more talented than taleni? Because their offer list says so? They guy was a differece maker and was all over the field against Clemson, aka the national champs. And you guys are saying its no big deal because of some guys offer sheet? Only in the world of the internet would someone dismiss actual on field results over an offer sheet,

You are right with saying they have not played much/at all college ball but the biggest jump in college football occurs between the 1st and 2nd year in the program. It hurts losing this player but we still can be good on the DL.

How the hell do we know any of these guys are more talented than taleni? Because their offer list says so? They guy was a differece maker and was all over the field against Clemson, aka the national champs. And you guys are saying its no big deal because of some guys offer sheet? Only in the world of the internet would someone dismiss actual on field results over an offer sheet,

That's what I'm thinking as well, and it could be one of those deals where he'd offended before and the coaches gave him an ultimatum about it, and he violated it.
That's the potentially frustrating aspect. If he bashed someone's head in, particularly a girl, yeah ok, out he goes and ill help pack. But if they tossed him for smoking a joint, as they've maddeningly been known to do with critical players on hoops and football ... dam it, just drop these sports because you're resigned to sucking before even taking the field

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT