ADVERTISEMENT

"Tarps" used at Heinz Field for Steelers vs Denver Game

Nov 11, 2002
Watching the Steeler Game today.

Since there are no fans at Heinz, the Steelers have put up Black Tarps with advertising (example UPMC white lettering), Steeler Nation , Steeler Logo etc. on the lower seats to compensate for the lack of fans and enhance the TV viewing experience.

Tarps look good at Heinz Field.

Pitt should use Tarps to "Right Size" Heinz for Pitt Home Games to about 50,000 capacity.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The NFL doesn't allow fans in the first 5 or so rows so every NFL stadium is tarping those rows.

Therefore it is easy to use Tarps in Heinz Field with no real issues preventing them from being used.

Pitt only requires a stadium capacity of 50,000 fans (Right Size).

Don't need to spend $500 million plus for a new Pitt Stadium that is used 7 times a year (28 hours).

Invest $500 thousand on Tarps which advertisers will pay to display their product.

Easy and economical solution to Pitt problem.

Heather bring in the consultants and lets get this going.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Therefore it is easy to use Tarps in Heinz Field with no real issues preventing them from being used.

Don't need to spend $500 million plus for a new Pitt Stadium that is used 7 times a year (28 hours).

Invest $500 thousand on Tarps which advertisers will pay to display their product.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I’ll help you out -
Last time Pitt tried to tarp sections -
It pissed of the season ticket holders in those sections who were asked to move .
As a result - Pitt dropped the idea

Fans should be allowed in the stands. No need for tarps.

There's no reason that in a 70,000 seat stadium there couldn't have been 10,000 to 15,000 fans safely accommodated.

See Clemson for a perfect example of how it should be done.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

So you plan on putting tarps on the seats in the lower bowl? It’s the only way you’re going to get people to invest money to advertise. Who is paying a lot of money for advertising space on tarps that might get seen once or twice on an aerial shot of stadium? Because no one coming to watch the game cares about the signage. Just put all fans in lower bowl unless more seats are needed.

images

I’ll help you out -
It pissed of the season ticket holders in those sections who were asked to move .

The 40,000 Pitt fan can move to better seating at the same price for a game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

So you plan on putting tarps on the seats in the lower bowl? It’s the only way you’re going to get people to invest money to advertise. Who is paying a lot of money for advertising space on tarps that might get seen once or twice on an aerial shot of stadium? Because no one coming to watch the game cares about the signage. Just put all fans in lower bowl unless more seats are needed.

$500,000 dollars for Tarps vs $500. million for a new stadium which will be used 7 times a year for 28 hours.

No debate here.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
$500,000 dollars for Tarps vs $500,000 million for a new stadium which will be used 7 times a year for 28 hours.

No debate here.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Once again, I hear your point. I have never advocated for a new stadium.
I just don’t think you put Tarps in the lower bowl. It’s mandatory that they are doing it now. Which would you rather have going forward though. Fans sitting in those seats adding to the game day environment or tarps earning a few extra dollars?

Fans aren’t paying top money to sit in the upper bowl, nor will they get premium dollars for signage that gets seen only a few moments each game.
Remember you can only choose one option.

I just don’t think you put Tarps in the lower bowl. It’s mandatory that they are doing it now. Which would you rather have going forward though. Fans sitting in those seats adding to the game day environment or tarps earning a few extra dollars?

Fans aren’t paying top money to sit in the upper bowl, nor will they get premium dollars for signage that gets seen only a few moments each game.
You’re trying to talk sense to someone who isn’t interested

At this point no one is saying where the tarps should be placed.

That would be up to the AD (consultants) and Pitt administration.

Actually, a very easy and economical solution to a chronic problem that Pitt faces each year at Heinz Field (overcapacity).

Again, only 7 home games a year for 28 hours.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
You somehow left off option 3, which is the best option. Don't waste $500,000.

Because when 40,000 fans show up for a game at Heinz it makes the Pitt program look pathetic on TV.

I went to many games at Old Pitt Stadium which had a capacity of 55,000. No need to have a larger venue.

Right Size Heinz Field for Pitt home football games.

As a Pitt fan and alum, I am disappointed that the AD and Pitt administration hasn't pursued this remedy.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Because when 40,000 fans show up for a game at Heinz it makes the Pitt program look pathetic on TV.

I went to many games at Old Pitt Stadium which had a capacity of 55,000. No need to have a larger venue.

As a Pitt fan and alum, I am disappointed that the AD and Pitt administration hasn't pursued this remedy.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I'm glad Pitt doesn't let you make decisions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Come fill some seats
Crazy concept

I’ll help you out -

Are you sure that was for tarps? I seem to recall getting a letter from Pitt stating that they would "upgrade" my upper endzone seats (which were in row A), to the corner upper deck and likely much higher up. I didn't appreciate them trying to state that this was an "upgrade." My example tarp pic above has those seats open, because they could fill them.

Are you sure that was for tarps? I seem to recall getting a letter from Pitt stating that they would "upgrade" my upper endzone seats (which were in row A), to the corner upper deck and likely much higher up. I didn't appreciate them trying to state that this was an "upgrade." My example tarp pic above has those seats open, because they could fill them.
Yes I’m sure

Reactions: TONY13
Is there really anyone left that still likes to sit in bleachers? Plus they are a bear to get to.

Yes they were and if the Pitt was smart they would using those ugly yellow seats to their advantage.
I would like to see them cover portions of every other section of seats, on the lower bowl, on the visitors side of the field with royal blue covers, spelling out the words...

LET'S GO PITT!!

It would be very inexpensive to do and the ugly yellow seats could finally be used to support the Pitt football program.

They could try something and wouldn't be end of world like some ding dongs are implying. Frankly, Steve was dumb and blew it from day one not trying something when everyone with a brain at the time new Heinz was too big for Pitt. Everyone still points to that one year out of 20 when Pitt 'filled seats' with a bloated preseason ranking and a blue blood home schedule and 60.00 season tickets.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
ADVERTISEMENT