TCU or Bama for #4?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

Both Bama and TCU will have 1 good win and its the same. @ Texas.

Bama lost 2 on the road in last second fashion to elite teams. TCU lost 1 to a similarly ranked team. Bama did beat 8-4 Ole Miss and 8-4 Alt-Miss. Is that enough?

They are so close, I go for the better team in Vegas. Bama

1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

Bama lost 2 on the road in last second fashion to elite teams. TCU lost 1 to a similarly ranked team. Bama did beat 8-4 Ole Miss and 8-4 Alt-Miss. Is that enough?

Tennessee & LSU aren't close to elite. Elite teams don't lose to TAMU. Elite teams don't lose to South Carolina 63-38.

It's TCU and it's not even up for debate. Not a chance Bama gets in.

1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

#4 will be TCU. Their only loss (KSU) was to a team they already beat this year.

1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

I guess if you’re going with Bama then you’re going to be wrong

1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

Alabama would be around a 14 point favorite over TCU if they played this year. They will also be sitting home watching TCU in the playoffs.

Alabama would be around a 14 point favorite over TCU if they played this year. They will also be sitting home watching TCU in the playoffs.
And that’s the way it should be.

Touching on that ole argument about picking who everyone thinks are the 4 best teams vs which 4 had the best on field results.

If Bama played the 2 teams they lost to again, they’d be 14 or more pt favorites against them as well. They should have beat one of those teams to be deserving of a playoff invite.

You can't start this stuff of putting Bama in because of who they are, etc. and I would root/have rooted for Bama in every game unless they would play Clemson, South Carolina or Pitt. (in reverse order of preference)

Last edited:
1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

Your 657,347th stupid question in this forum...Insecure odd people asks questions they know the answers to....btw, one tidbit you forgot in your comparison, TCU beat every team on their schedule while outside looking in Alabama did not..

DraftKings doesn’t even have Alabama on the board for college futures. TCU is listed.
Going into yesterdays game Alabama was one of the 6 teams listed here, but they were around 75-1. It goes to show you what longshots they were to be included, because if they were they would be favored over anyone but Georgia and those huge odds would be way out of whack.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

TCU has a win v. KSU in the regular season. So they'll have a Top 10 win on their resume. They're 12-1 v. 10-2. Also, TCU beat Texas more emphatically by a larger margin and Ewers I believe played that entire game rather than just the 1st quarter like when Bama played him. No contest. TCU.

In what world is LSU elite this season? I'd have Tennessee ahead of Alabama. They had to play UGA, Bama did not. If they did, they'd be 9-3.

TCU….one loss in overtime..Alabama 2 loses. Sorry Crimson Tide.
Even Paul Finebaum agrees….

Tennessee & LSU aren't close to elite. Elite teams don't lose to TAMU. Elite teams don't lose to South Carolina 63-38.

It's TCU and it's not even up for debate. Not a chance Bama gets in.
Yet if TCU lined up against Bama they’re a double digit dog and the beat would be 3 TDs plus.

So what are we trying to do here? Put the better team in or the the team that had the better season?

Yet if TCU lined up against Bama they’re a double digit dog and the beat would be 3 TDs plus.

So what are we trying to do here? Put the better team in or the the team that had the better season?
No way would Bama beat TCU by 3 TDs. I'm not sure they could even beat TCU. They couldn't beat a dogshit LSU team. They were lucky to beat Ole Miss. They made Jalin Hyatt, a guy who is the 3rd best receiver on his own team, a Biletnikoff finalist. They had to have a last second FG to beat Texas, who was playing most of the game with their backup QB. (TCU performed better against Texas, if that means anything)

If Bama is the better team, they have managed to conceal it the entire year. I agree if you say Alabama has better talent. However, they have failed to show any evidence on the field in 2022 that says they are a better team.

If we go by better team, Pitts should be in the ACC championship game tonight, since they are the better team right now than UNC.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
No way would Bama beat TCU by 3 TDs. I'm not sure they could even beat TCU. They couldn't beat a dogshit LSU team. They were lucky to beat Ole Miss. They made Jalin Hyatt, a guy who is the 3rd best receiver on his own team, a Biletnikoff finalist. They had to have a last second FG to beat Texas, who was playing most of the game with their backup QB. (TCU performed better against Texas, if that means anything)

If Bama is the better team, they have managed to conceal it the entire year. I agree if you say Alabama has better talent. However, they have failed to show any evidence on the field in 2022 that says they are a better team.
I get that side of the debate. But I’ll stand by Bama beating TCU easily if that game was played right now. And I am confident that Bama would not only win, but would dominate that team. They’ve had a great year in a weak league with a mid-major roster. They’re this year’s Cincinnati. That’s the long and short of it.

I mean, let’s turn this around-you’re backing a team from a much softer league that just lost to K State and has had very close calls with the likes of Baylor and Kansas against a team that has beat 6 top 20 teams, has drastically superior personnel at every single position and the best coach and staff in the sport. Bryce Young is at full strength now. It’s a no contest, and the Vegas line would validate that.

It’s an academic debate, but if TCU does get in, I’m absolutely confident they will get rolled by whichever of the other 3 teams they draw.

If we go by better team, Pitts should be in the ACC championship game tonight, since they are the better team right now than UNC.
Not sure what your argument is here. The CFP committee’s job is to pick the best 4 teams in the country. The ACC championship is played between the winners of the 2 ACC divisions. Not necessarily the best 2 teams.

Not sure what your argument is here. The CFP committee’s job is to pick the best 4 teams in the country. The ACC championship is played between the winners of the 2 ACC divisions. Not necessarily the best 2 teams.
Its job is to pick the top 4 teams based on the criteria it uses, not the best 4 teams. Alabama had its chance to proove that it belonged in that group during the season, but it failed.

I get that side of the debate. But I’ll stand by Bama beating TCU easily if that game was played right now. And I am confident that Bama would not only win, but would dominate that team. They’ve had a great year in a weak league with a mid-major roster. They’re this year’s Cincinnati. That’s the long and short of it.

I mean, let’s turn this around-you’re backing a team from a much softer league that just lost to K State and has had very close calls with the likes of Baylor and Kansas against a team that has beat 6 top 20 teams, has drastically superior personnel at every single position and the best coach and staff in the sport. Bryce Young is at full strength now. It’s a no contest, and the Vegas line would validate that.

It’s an academic debate, but if TCU does get in, I’m absolutely confident they will get rolled by whichever of the other 3 teams they draw.
The Vegas line is irrelevant. But since you mentioned it, Bama is 3-5-1 ATS vs P5 teams. I feel confident that if Bama had managed to beat a mediocre LSU team, that they would have been trucked by UGA today in the SECC game.

And there is no reason to think Alabama could dominate TCU. The only team on Bama's schedule with a pulse that they were able to dominate was Mississippi State. TCU is much better than Miss State. You saw Pitt hang with a mediocre Tennessee team. Tennessee had 2 losses that were as ugly as they get. Yet the Vols managed to beat Alabama.

There is a big difference in the Big 12 and AAC. TCU may or may not get rolled. They sure wouldn't be the first playoff team to prove they don't belong on the big stage.

I may be way off, but I think a lot of the reason we even have this discussion is brand bias. If it were Texas or OU at 12-1 following an OT loss in the Big 12 Championship, nobody would even suggest Alabama should get that spot.

Last edited:
1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

...AND that is the logic that is destroying the sport of college football. I said in a post about 6 weeks ago that they will do all they can to get a 2 loss Alabama team into the CFP, Should they be there? Absolutely NOT!! What OBJECTIVE proof do you have to support your statement that Alabama is the "better team"? You have none.
Hearing Nick Saban tonight talking about how important it is that Alabama has won their last 3 games is hilarious. Using his logic, the 4th playoff spot in the CFP should go to the Pitt Panthers because they won their last 4 games in a row.

...AND that is the logic that is destroying the sport of college football. I said in a post about 6 weeks ago that they will do all they can to get a 2 loss Alabama team into the CFP, Should they be there? Absolutely NOT!! What OBJECTIVE proof do you have to support your statement that Alabama is the "better team"? You have none.
Hearing Nick Saban tonight talking about how important it is that Alabama has won their last 3 games is hilarious. Using his logic, the 4th playoff spot in the CFP should go to the Pitt Panthers because they won their last 4 games in a row.
Yeah. That Nick Saban interview was absurd. He talked about not having bad losses as a reason for Alabama making the playoff....... Alabama has the worst losses of the group in consideration. OSU lost to Michigan. TCU lost to no one until today, and KSU will be a top 10 ten team..... which gives TCU a top 10 win as well.

Alabama lost to LSU and Tennessee. Tennessee beat Pitt in overtime with a 2nd string quarterback playing on one leg. They got absolutely manhandled by Georgia and South Carolina. LSU was destroyed by Tennessee and just got embarrassed by Georgia. Alabama has the worst losses of the group.... and they have two!

Reactions: 4382
I agree 100% and I think the committee will do that to avoid a rematch
I do have to say that I sure as hell hope that this so-called "committee" that is doing the selecting is not worried about potential re-matches in the first round of the CFP.
The 4 teams should placed in the spot they deserve based upon their season, not some theory that a re-match in the CFP semi-finals is not in the best interest of the sport.
If this was any other week in the college football season and the results played out the same, there is NO WAY that a #3 ranked TCU team would not be dropped below the #5 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes. In fact, I'd like to add that there would be a VERY GOOD chance that the #6 ranked team (Alabama) leaps over TCU as well.

I do have to say that I sure as hell hope that this so-called "committee" that is doing the selecting is not worried about potential re-matches in the first round of the CFP.
The 4 teams should placed in the spot they deserve based upon their season, not some theory that a re-match in the CFP semi-finals is not in the best interest of the sport.
If this was any other week in the college football season and the results played out the same, there is NO WAY that a #3 ranked TCU team would not be dropped below the #5 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes. In fact, I'd like to add that there would be a VERY GOOD chance that the #6 ranked team (Alabama) leaps over TCU as well.
Yes. All this. And as much as I have healthy disdain for the “haves”, they simply are better teams than TCU and would make for a better playoff.

They will throw BIG 12 a bone, Bama is better by 10 to 14, much harder schedule but they know people are tiring of Bama need a break

The AP voters disagree. They have TCU third and OSU fourth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duneaux Harm
1. UGa
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. Who?

UGA
Michigan
TCU
OSU

No way will Ohio St jump TCU by sitting on their couch licking wounds from a home field blowout.

GA
MICH
TCU
OHIO ST

Yes. All this. And as much as I have healthy disdain for the “haves”, they simply are better teams than TCU and would make for a better playoff.
If there are so many teams better than TCU then maybe all those better teams shouldn’t have lost 2 or more games playing a schedule not any appreciable amount tougher than TCU.

TCU plays an extra game than all these supposed teams and loses in OT against a top 10 opponent and now there’s all these 2 or more loss teams better than them. Too bad they didn’t prove it on the field.

And you were just as wrong last night as you were six weeks ago.
Actually you are correct. I did say that, but what I said would have happened if TCU would have lost last weekend instead of this weekend. To me, that is nonsense any way. If you lose, you lose. There are no "good or bad loses", a loss is just that...a loss. Also, when it happens shouldn't matter at all, that is the part that really bothers me, the subjectivity involved. Rest assured that if TCU lost last week, and everything else occurred this weekend stayed the same, that committee would have Alabama in that final four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT