ADVERTISEMENT

TE involvement

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I know many of us questioned the lack of involvement Gavin Bartholomew had this season. And I'm sure a lot of it was geared to Cignetti's offensive scheme.

But I beg to differ. I think it's all about the QB.

How so, Moe?

If you look at the 2021 Pitt team stats, the second most pass completions (66) were thrown to the TE (Stull and Barth combined). Look at the Steelers stats with KP as QB. Freiermuth is 2nd with 58 catches to Johnson with 61.

I doubt that either Pitt under Whipple or the Steelers under Canada have that many passing plays (where the TE is the first option) in their playbook.

Pickett is a rare breed QB that can read the field, go through the progressions, and find the TE. Slovis either couldn't or didn't.

Certainly time will tell if Jurkovec (presuming he's our QB in 2023) will employ better use of the TE in our offense. It would be fun to see Gavin shine in our passing game next year, regardless of who's under center

H2P!

I forget BC's tight end's name in 2020, but that Cignetti/Jurkovec combination seemed to use him quite a bit. Maybe that's the pitch to Bartholomew in terms of keeping him around throughout this offseason.

Reactions: Section 509
I forget BC's tight end's name in 2020, but that Cignetti/Jurkovec combination seemed to use him quite a bit. Maybe that's the pitch to Bartholomew in terms of keeping him around throughout this offseason.
Hunter Long was BC's TE in 2020. He led their team in receptions that year (by 1) with 57.

I wonder how often the TE was the number one option. watching them all year there were many times that Bart or Izzy or Hammond were wide open underneath and Slovis never looked for them, instead throwing in coverage or getting hammered by the rush while staring downfield..

Bart seemed to take a beating on this site for perceived dropping passes, but most of the throws that were near enough for him to get hands on that were incomplete were due to off target or difficult grabs.

Slovis was mostly a disappointment in finding his secondary options and delivering a pass under pressure that was in catchable range.

I wrote about this a month ago. Cigs isn't anti te.
I would think you’re right about that. Typically in pro style offenses like his the TE gets a lot of work. If things are working correctly in that offense the TE usually gets a lot of looks, many of them on simple check downs.

I do think Barth has shown good ability as a receiver so maybe the issue was more with Slovis.

There were many issues in the passing game and this was one.

Since Slovis is gone but Cig remains at Pitt, we as Pitt fans have little choice but to hope that Slovis was most, if not all the problem.

From where I sat, Slovis was definitely a good bit of the problem, after getting hurt in the Ten game at least. Cig was hamstrung from that point on as far as play calls; there seemed only a couple pass plays (and receivers) Slovis was capable or willing to execute. These did not include Bart or plays designed for him. Nor, in general, was Slovis able or willing to check down in general and not to Bart in particular.

Hopefully it was mostly if not all a Slovis problem, and not a Cig problem. Again, there’s no choice but to root for this, as a Pitt fan., Cig/Jurk will hopefully be an upgrade in all these aspects but especially with a potential weapon like Bart. Guys like him are having major impact on the passing game in the entire sport, and we are suffering by not getting into that party.

Time will tell.

Cignetti and his offense has always been TE friendly. It seemed like Slovis did not see the field well and missed some progressions or hot reads when a blitzer was coming. Went to the Louisville game and Slovis missed Dan Carter who was wide open on an out route which would have been a first down or more. Instead it was an interception that killed the drive. The ball never should have been thrown. Pitt should have been up by 14 at the half. Hope that Jurkovec knows the offense and it will be an easier transition.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I watched the replay of the BYB last night. Slovis played as well as he could that night, but he has no pocket awareness at all.
When pressured, he goes straight back and panics. Have to be able to extend a play with some lateral movement until a receiver comes back to help or the check down receiver is located.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT