Teasdale off PSU roster?

omega

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Pittsburgh PA
pittsburghreia.com
I just saw this on FLO, not sure what to make of it

Teasdale tweeted this statement "I have left Penn State this fall semester for health issues. I will be returning to Penn State University this January at full capacity."

Penn State wrestling released a statement saying:

“Gavin Teasdale has withdrawn from school for the fall semester for personal reasons and is no longer on the Penn State wrestling roster.”

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6273770-gavin-teasdale-off-psu-roster

I really hope that rumor is not true. It would be a shame to throw away that much talent and hard work.
Using the term "throwing it away" is not a good term to use in my opinion. If the rumor is true, addiction is a much tougher opponent than any other wrestler. Addiction can just take a hold of a person and destroy them as Pantherguy4 can attest. Get help and come back a better person. Godspeed to him.

Using the term "throwing it away" is not a good term to use in my opinion. If the rumor is true, addiction is a much tougher opponent than any other wrestler. Addiction can just take a hold of a person and destroy them as Pantherguy4 can attest. Get help and come back a better person. Godspeed to him.

I use the term "throw away" because addiction is a self inflicted injury. If the rumor is true, the kid had to take action to screw up his life. I would feel bad for the kid if he had a serious injury and had to retire. Doing something dumb and placing yourself in a situation where you destroy your life, is your fault. I have seen way too many people go down that road. Some recover, others just kill themselves in a slow tragic manner. I hope the kid pulls out.

I use the term "throw away" because addiction is a self inflicted injury. If the rumor is true, the kid had to take action to screw up his life. I would feel bad for the kid if he had a serious injury and had to retire. Doing something dumb and placing yourself in a situation where you destroy your life, is your fault. I have seen way too many people go down that road. Some recover, others just kill themselves in a slow tragic manner. I hope the kid pulls out.
I totally agree with you that it is the person who made the choice and it does seem dumb to you and I that you would throw away your life for a drug. Addiction is a crazy disease that wants to destroy a person, yet allow them to think they can take care of the issue themselves. It may be hereditary and/or pre-existing and him having taken one opioid to reduce the pain from an injury causes the brain chemistry to kick-start the disease process and the addict is off to the races. Some recover and unfortunately, some don't. Your statement is in many ways so true, but the disease is much more complex than the addict just stopping using. The use of the drug is just a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. The disease is between the ears.

I. Had so many conversations with Dave, the kid who overdosed. I always tried to get him to come with the guys on the team to get something to eat, just hang out, etc. But he always opted to go with his other friends who were heavily into drugs. Did we try hard enough to get him away from that group that would eventually lead to his death? Thu haunts me to this day. Drug addiction is the scourge of the earth. I hope Teasdale gets the help he needs.

I. Had so many conversations with Dave, the kid who overdosed. I always tried to get him to come with the guys on the team to get something to eat, just hang out, etc. But he always opted to go with his other friends who were heavily into drugs. Did we try hard enough to get him away from that group that would eventually lead to his death? Thu haunts me to this day. Drug addiction is the scourge of the earth. I hope Teasdale gets the help he needs.

You tried, that is the best you can do. Drug addiction is an evil that can only be fought by the addict. The rest of us can offer love and support but that offer has to be accepted to be of any value. You cant force them to take help. The only hope is to divert them BEFORE the go down that path.

There was something written about him alluding to past health problems that he’d had that were related to excessive weight loss. Reportedly, several months ago he’d taken time off to get his health back in order again.

I thought that there might be linkage with that....?

The rumored drug issue is something that I had not heard before.

There is a 10 page thread on the Iowa Rivals site discussing this topic. Many PSU fans on the thread. Drugs were discussed at length. I have seen nothing from the media about this, but if true, it would not be out in the public media.

I wonder if he got addicted to pain killers when he was recovering from that injury? He was a very talented wrestler, but whether or not he ever wrestled again, if it is an addiction that is going to be a tougher opponent than any he has faced on the mat. Let’s hope he is up to it.

I heard he went to rehab. Here's hoping that it's successful and he's able to get his life in order, whether he ever wrestles again or not.

Reactions: Chaos and jctrack
You tried, that is the best you can do. Drug addiction is an evil that can only be fought by the addict. The rest of us can offer love and support but that offer has to be accepted to be of any value. You cant force them to take help. The only hope is to divert them BEFORE the go down that path.
Did you see your PSU response for your post on that other board?

Reactions: omega
Teasdale is back wrestling at PSU! Even though he withdrew from school because of “health reasons”, 3 weeks later he is back working out with team. Cael is trying to get a waiver for the 1st semester so that he can reenter school and not count the semester. I guess his health improved quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDog42
Teasdale is back wrestling at PSU! Even though he withdrew from school because of “health reasons”, 3 weeks later he is back working out with team. Cael is trying to get a wavier for the 1st semester so that he can reenter school and not count the semester. I guess his health improved quickly.

I’m sure he can qualify for a missed term exemption. I just hope he was able get himself well

I heard he went to rehab. Here's hoping that it's successful and he's able to get his life in order, whether he ever wrestles again or not.
I had it confirmed tonight. It was drugs and not pain killers or pot.

I had it confirmed tonight. It was drugs and not pain killers or pot.

Whatever it was, I’m sure it was something serious. Being involved with student athletes for over 20 years, I know how tough those issues can be to handle. Here’s hoping he can stay on track.

Reactions: DevilDog42
ADVERTISEMENT