ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee Game Week

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
Well, one down and one more to go from the big 2 to start the year. Big opportunity for us, as I believe most of us thought if we could start 2-0 we will have a pretty darn successful season.

I live and work in Tennessee so I hear a lot about the Vols. I think most of their fan base are always super cocky, but are pretty down on their defense this year. They didnt get a huge push against Ball State, who was a really weak opponent. Zero sacks, although, as we know that doesnt mean everything, as our DL tore through the WVU line every play but I think only had 3 sacks at the end. They seem to be downplaying our win vs a huge rival (WVCCs bowl game really), and true we looked like it was our first game, and our offense didnt show any signs of greatness. But we have an accurate QB with a big arm, several very good receivers, and now a renewed run offense that looked effective. Our line played well (5 sacks, but 4 were certainly on Slovis holding the ball for 8 years per play there) and I am sure we will give up a few sacks to UT. On offense they have 2 big, strong WRs, so will be like WVU there. Battle and Devonshire will have to body them up again. Battle pretty much shut down their other big guy. They have a good running game, good line, and should be able to score as much as the hoopies did. I think Daniels is as good as Hooker. Hooker is a better runner, and I suspect they will have some planned sneaks. I think Kamara, Dennis and Simon will be good against that this year. Last year we shut down their running game, outside of a long 55 yard QB run by Milton. We will have to put up 38 or more again.

Hate to say it, but I think Tennessee is a lot like WVU, and it will be a close tight game, turnovers will play a huge role, and I think with Slovis maturing, and playing faster mentally we have a real chance to go 2-0. I hope we give him confidence to start, and dont just run the first 3 plays and punt. Tennessee line will be ENRAGED to try to get a sack, and I think a good TE or RB screen (a real screen, not a wide out flat) will really be a good play in the first series. I really cant see why we are 7 point dogs at home, I hope they are wrong about that. We are 2-1 against Hooker so far, seen him often, seen Heupel often too, I dont think we will get fooled. Just need to play better than game one.

Last edited:
I feel more confident about this game than WVU. There was tremendous pressure to beat WVU and while fans wanted a blow out, it was still a quality win. Good teams win when they don’t play their best. They faced size,and made emotional penalties. It’s a different challenge, but sort of reminds me about Clemson. Folks were rightfully worried, but just had a sense Pitt could pull it out.

Slovis needs more attempts and I suspect he will hover around 400 plus yards this weekend. Limit turnovers and escape with a win.

the Pitt D line tore through the wvu line every play? Really? The Pitt D line did not play very well at all, and the O line played even worse

Reactions: HolyPitt
O-line is hard to judge. Hammond ran well, Izzy did not. Slovis also held on to ball, but consistently had 4 seconds in the pocket to throw. Yes sacks, but not all on the line. 31 offensive points against a P5 defense and WVU held opponents down from scoring last year for the most part. The d also got good pressure but agree run defense must be improved. It should, but all the sacks for Pitt came in the second half. Also I think they had penalties on all the scoring and long second half drives (illegal substitution, face mask, pass interference). Those penalties can be corrected. Take away the blocked punt and quick TD, and Pitt won the second half 28-14.

I'm always worried about our DB's. Not that they are not good because PITT put's one or two in the NFL every year, it's the scheme. I hope Hooker misses as many wide open receivers as he did last year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think we stand a chance if their weakness is the defense. We’ll still be going through some growing pains on offense and will need all the help we can get, especially if it becomes a shootout against Hooker. I have confidence in our coaching staff, though. At least there’s some familiarity with him and Heupel.

3 big flaws in the WV game.
1. Maybe too much emotion. The 15 yard automatic first down for taunting. We thought we had a safety. Turned a 3rd and long at the goal line to a first and 10 at the 15.
2. Bubs fumble. He was untouched. And drop of a deep pass between his hands. That probably is 6 if caught.
3. Our punter taking 7 steps before the kick.

Any of those could have changed the outcome early on. It may not really demonstrate how good Pitt is or isn't. Everyone only remembers the end of the game. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and still won.

Where was Jaylon Barden last week, I thought his speed would help this season ?

Last edited:
Where was Jaylon Barden last week, I thought his speed would help this season ?
He had a 16 yard catch out of the slot. Had nice speed like Addison. Was like I want more of that and also involve GB. For all the mistakes, they should also have some more options moving forward.

Narduzzi has made a few comments about the receivers that worry me. Before the WVU game, it was something like, "That group gives me chest pains" or something to that affect. After the WVU game, he said a few of the sacks Slovis took were due to receivers not getting to their spots on time.

So if that group, along with the outside linebackers, are making a ton of mental mistakes, I do fear that it could just be "one of those years." Hopefully these guys can learn on the fly. But Tennessee seems like a bad matchup.

Reactions: President Stache
One of those years where Pitt won the backyard brawl. The route where they both ran to the same spot was obvious. The dropped TD hurts more. It’s a game. A loss against UT and they can still hit 9-10 wins. The coastal is very weak.

From a Tennessee fan:

Positives for Tennessee & a breakdown of the roster

-last year we simply started the wrong QB to begin the season. I think Milton missed 3 wide open receivers for TDs in the first quarter vs you guys last year
-This was obviously Hooker's first literal game in the offense and obviously improved throughout the year by breaking many UT records
-He had an entire year and offseason in this system knowing he's THE starter
-In this game last year we lost both our best OLineman in the first half (Cade Mays, now in the NFL) and our center in the first half (Cooper Mays, our starting center this year too)
-We had 2 RBs go down in this game last year
-We didn't have our best DLineman in this game last year (weird eligibility rule from his community college a few years back), but he'll obviously be available this year. He didn't play a ton vs Ball St because of the lopsided victory

Offense:
-QB (obviously Hooker is someone Tennessee fans love and feel great about. He's a slightly better version of Josh Dobbs, and I can't remember a time I've felt more comfortable as a Tennessee fan with our QB...
-WRs are great (Tillman, returning all SEC receiver and preseason 1st team. 5-star transfer Bru McCoy from USC who absolutely looked the part last week (granted, it was vs Ball St). Bunch of speedy guys behind them who are all basically the same person)
-RBs (Jabari Small, one of the better RBs in the SEC who got hurt in our game last year vs Pitt. But after him it's a bunch of younger backs. All talented and highly graded out of high school, but just inexperienced. So look for pass protection in big 3rd downs to be an issue for our young backs on the road)
-OLine is good, not great. Tennessee can't afford many injuries on the OLine this year because depth is an issue.

Defense:
-DL (Byron Young, best DLineman hands down and like I said, didn't get to play last year vs Pitt. Tyler Baron, the guy opposite him who is very solid. The rest are younger, talented guys... but don't have a ton of experience.
-LB (2 experienced LBs who play the run very well, but can't guard TEs or RBs out of the backfield in pass coverage. So if Pitt has a big day on offense then look for them to exploit this.
-Secondary (Hadden, transfer from Bama and is our best corner, is very solid. Burrell opposite side of the field can absolutely be exploited. Secondary is definitely our team weakness this year... and mostly because of the unknowns and inexperience)

Summary: Our offense is going to score. I went back and watched our game vs you guys last year and, in my opinion, this offense doesn't even look the same as it did as the year progressed with Hooker as our starter. Playing on the road is absolutely an advantage for Pitt, but look for Tennessee fans to travel well (as we always do), and I'm sure Pitt has a great home field advantage but Tennessee does play in tough environments almost every week in the SEC (Florida, Georgia, Alabama etc)

Predictions are pointless because I'm obviously going to pick Tennessee, but Pitt will most likely need to score 40+ to win this game (like they did last year). I can't wait to see this game, and it feels good going into a big game knowing that either team can win (unlike the yearly games vs Georgia & Bama where we have no chance because of the massive talent gap).

Go Vols

Reactions: PowellVolz
the Pitt D line tore through the wvu line every play? Really? The Pitt D line did not play very well at all, and the O line played even worse

Well, I disagree on both ends.

Really the Pitt D line isnt even an argument, Daniels only had 3 'clean pockets' all day. We pummeled Daniels, and to his credit, he took the hits well. We need to do the same to Hooker

The Oline was a bit worse, but most of the sacks were on Slovis, is that arguable? Maybe you can say play calling too, but the line wasnt the main cause, and I think we have a deeper line than years past. I think their are signs we will be strong there.

3 big flaws in the WV game.
1. Maybe too much emotion. The 15 yard automatic first down for taunting. We thought we had a safety. Turned a 3rd and long at the goal line to a first and 10 at the 15.
2. Bubs fumble. He was untouched. And drop of a deep pass between his hands. That probably is 6 if caught.
3. Our punter taking 7 steps before the kick.

Any of those could have changed the outcome early on. It may not really demonstrate how good Pitt is or isn't. Everyone only remembers the end of the game. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and still won.

Good point, forgot that penalty. He also did that literally in front of the official staring right at him.

One of those years where Pitt won the backyard brawl. The route where they both ran to the same spot was obvious. The dropped TD hurts more. It’s a game. A loss against UT and they can still hit 9-10 wins. The coastal is very weak.

"One of those years" as in a year like 2020 when a certain safety was often out of position and some green linebackers were not where they needed to be in coverage. Doesn't mean we still can't compete in the Coastal; I'd just rather do without those mistakes. Obviously it's been more than a few plays for Naduzzi to keep bringing it up like this. I think we have quite a bit of talent at those spots, but they need to play well mentally.

Well, I disagree on both ends.

Really the Pitt D line isnt even an argument, Daniels only had 3 'clean pockets' all day. We pummeled Daniels, and to his credit, he took the hits well. We need to do the same to Hooker

The Oline was a bit worse, but most of the sacks were on Slovis, is that arguable? Maybe you can say play calling too, but the line wasnt the main cause, and I think we have a deeper line than years past. I think their are signs we will be strong there.
It will be tough to do the same against Hooker. That tempo Heupel runs is killer for the d line. His offense sucks if you can make stops on early downs- he doesn't run a ton of variety of plays so you can kinda know what is coming, but that doesn't matter when you are gassed after they go hurry up 7 plays in a row. I hate playing against these kinda offenses.

Reactions: President Stache
From a Tennessee fan:

-last year we simply started the wrong QB to begin the season. I think Milton missed 3 wide open receivers for TDs in the first quarter vs you guys last year
-This was obviously Hooker's first literal game in the offense and obviously improved throughout the year by breaking many UT records
-In this game last year we lost both our best OLineman in the first half (Cade Mays, now in the NFL) and our center in the first half (Cooper Mays, our starting center this year too)
-We didn't have our best DLineman in this game last year (weird eligibility rule from his community college a few years back), but he'll obviously be available this year. He didn't play a ton vs Ball St because of the lopsided victory

Offense:
-QB (obviously Hooker is someone Tennessee fans love and feel great about. He's a slightly better version of Josh Dobbs, and I can't remember a time I've felt more comfortable as a Tennessee fan with our QB...
-WRs are great (Tillman, returning all SEC receiver and preseason 1st team. 5-star transfer Bru McCoy from USC who absolutely looked the part last week (granted, it was vs Ball St). Bunch of speedy guys behind them who are all basically the same person)
-RBs (Jabari Small, one of the better RBs in the SEC who got hurt in our game last year vs Pitt. But after him it's a bunch of younger backs. All talented and highly graded out of high school, but just inexperienced. So look for pass protection in big 3rd downs to be an issue for our young backs on the road)
-OLine is good, not great. Tennessee can't afford many injuries on the OLine this year because depth is an issue.

Defense:
-DL (Byron Young, best DLineman hands down and like I said, didn't get to play last year vs Pitt. Tyler Baron, the guy opposite him who is very solid. The rest are younger, talented guys... but don't have a ton of experience.
-LB (2 experienced LBs who play the run very well, but can't guard TEs or RBs out of the backfield in pass coverage. So if Pitt has a big day on offense then look for them to exploit this.
-Secondary (Hadden, transfer from Bama and is our best corner, is very solid. Burrell opposite side of the field can absolutely be exploited. Secondary is definitely our team weakness this year... and mostly because of the unknowns and inexperience)

Summary: Our offense is going to score. I went back and watched our game vs you guys last year and, in my opinion, this offense doesn't even look the same as it did as the year progressed with Hooker as our starter. Playing on the road is absolutely an advantage for Pitt, but look for Tennessee fans to travel well (as we always do), and I'm sure Pitt has a great home field advantage but Tennessee does play in tough environments almost every week in the SEC (Florida, Georgia, Alabama etc)

Predictions are pointless because I'm obviously going to pick Tennessee, but Pitt will most likely need to score 40+ to win this game (like they did last year). I can't wait to see this game, and it feels good going into a big game knowing that either team can win (unlike the yearly games vs Georgia & Bama where we have no chance because of the massive talent gap).

Go Vols

Hey, good report. I heard today that your one big OT was hurt from a cheap shot against ball state, not sure his status. Pitt had a few guys hurt against WVU, Id be shocked of Alexandre, who is a team captain DE plays, he is a beast, but we are really deep at that position.

It is honestly extremely weird to play an out of conference team that Pitt has so much experience with (playing against Hooker for 2 years before the transfer, and against Heupels vaunted offense for 2 years also).

Talent seems pretty even between the teams... I think it will be a heck of a game.

From a Tennessee fan:

Offense:

Defense:

Go Vols

I wasn't sure what you guys had at receiver, but if they're as good as you say they are then we could be in trouble. A good QB/WR combination has been the vulnerability in this defense for Narduzzi's tenure, as we're predicated on devoting numbers to the box and stopping the run at the expense of leaving our corners on an island in coverage. And, while others on here may disagree, I don't think we have the talent or depth at corner that we've had in past years. Our pass rush, obviously, could negate some of that. It didn't look too hot in week one initially, and we lost a starting DE to boot. But we'll see: It did improve as the game went on. We'll need to win that battle to win this game, so our DL vs your OL should be hands down the most important matchup in this one, I would think.

Reactions: Kevincush
It will be tough to do the same against Hooker. That tempo Heupel runs is killer for the d line. His offense sucks if you can make stops on early downs- he doesn't run a ton of variety of plays so you can kinda know what is coming, but that doesn't matter when you are gassed after they go hurry up 7 plays in a row. I hate playing against these kinda offenses.

It's kind of a cheap offense, in my opinion. I get that it's within the rules, so I'm not saying it's not smart to run it or unfair or anything else. I just personally think it's cheap. Like quick-pitching a guy in baseball.

That is very true, and good points.

We are pretty deep at least. I think Kamara will be a standout in this game. I am guessing he will be shadowing Hooker? Hopefully he is healthy.

Our offense is such a question mark after the WVU game. We looked good in spots, but so rusty in other areas. Slovis was super accurate though. I basically agree with most here, we will have to score 40 to win, so can we?

Reactions: Kevincush
Narduzzi has made a few comments about the receivers that worry me. Before the WVU game, it was something like, "That group gives me chest pains" or something to that affect. After the WVU game, he said a few of the sacks Slovis took were due to receivers not getting to their spots on time.
Surely hope there's no friction between Duzz and Coach Underwood. Would hate to go through that mess again.

It's kind of a cheap offense, in my opinion. I get that it's within the rules, so I'm not saying it's not smart to run it or unfair or anything else. I just personally think it's cheap. Like quick-pitching a guy in baseball.
Your comment reminds me of when The Nictator complained around 2012-2013 about other SEC Teams using the Uptempo Offense, which negated the Talent Advantage that Bama had on Defense. He even tried to have a Rule changed on time allowed between snaps. Then he ultimately gave in and realized if you can’t beat them then join them, when he hired Kiffin as the OC, who ironically had no experience running an Uptempo Offense out of the Spread, but he learned and implemented the System. All Future Bams OCs did the same, and ever since they have recruited Top QBs and WRs, where prior to 2013, The Nictator just relied on winning games with a Great Defense, with typical scores of 17-10.

My comment above is what has frustrated me as a PITT Alumnus and Football Fan about Narduzzi, as his hires for OC have been out of the Stone Age(well not as bad as Ferantz at Iowa apparently). Narduzzi needs to learn from The Nictator and adapt to survive. PITT was fortunate to have Kenny Pickett last year, but even his great play could not overcome losses to Western Michigan and Da ‘U’. Uptempo Spread Option Offenses usually are bad matchups for Narduzzi, as the Defense cannot prepare for that type of Offense during Practices, when our Offense uses what was common in the Fat 10, before tOSU and even Milkdud in Creepy Valley started implementing an Uptempo Spread Option Offense.

Of course, PITT did try that direction with Godd Graham, but he did not have the roster of Offensive Players to effectively implement his Uptempo Hammer Down Offense, and left before he could even recruit a few classes to fit his system. Although, Graham could have just been a Bad Coach, as he failed at Arizona State, but I liked his System, especially for PITT, which will never have Top 10 Recruiting Classes and less likely in the future with the Big Money going to the SEC and the FAT 10(well I guess adding U$C and UCLA will lower the Conference Body Fat Percentage), along with better NIL Deals for Players going to the Big Revenue Programs.

I think UT-Knoxville with their Uptempo Spread Offense is a Bad Matchup for PITT, as I recall last year the Defense dodged a few bullets when Milton overthrew a wide open WR two times early in the game, would have been easy TDs, and at least one other open WR on another play before he was benched for Hooker. Maybe, with Pickett PITT still could have come back from a larger deficit than 10-0, but would have been difficult on the road, as their crowd would have been louder.

I was going to bet against PITT getting 4.5, and even now as the line moved up to 7 Points, still might be a good bet taking UT-Knoxville. The only hope I have is the PITT Front 7 with some creative blitzes will get enough pressure on Hooker to create some TOs. The LBs outside of Dennis concern me though despite the Win in the Backyard. I think losing LB, Bright in the Portal to Washington will end up hurting PITT more than losing Addison to U$C, just based on position of need and depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
Your comment reminds me of when The Nictator complained around 2012-2013 about other SEC Teams using the Uptempo Offense, which negated the Talent Advantage that Bama had on Defense. He even tried to have a Rule changed on time allowed between snaps. Then he ultimately gave in and realized if you can’t beat them then join them, when he hired .Kiffin as the OC, who ironically had no experience running an Uptempo Offense out of the Spread, but he learned and implemented the System. All Future Bams OCs did the same, and ever since they have recruited Top QBs and WRs, where prior to 2013, The Nictator just relied on winning games with a Great Defense, with typical scores of 17-10.

My comment above is what has frustrated me as a PITT Alumnus and Football Fan about Narduzzi, as his hires for OC have been out of the Stone Age(well not as bad as Ferantz at Iowa apparently). Narduzzi needs to learn from The Nictator and adapt to survive. PITT was fortunate to have Kenny Pickett last year, but even his great play could not overcome losses to Western Michigan and Da ‘U’. Uptempo Spread Option Offenses usually are bad matchups for Narduzzi, as the Defense cannot prepare for that type of Offense during Practices, when our Offense uses what was common in the Fat 10, before tOSU and even Milkdud in Creepy Valley started implementing an Uptempo Spread Option Offense.

Of course, PITT did try that direction with Godd Graham, but he did not have the roster of Offensive Players to effectively implement his Uptempo Hammer Down Offense, and left before he could even recruit a few classes to fit his system. Although, Graham could have just been a Bad Coach, as he failed at Arizona State, but I liked his System, especially for PITT, which will never have Top 10 Recruiting Classes and less likely in the future with the Big Money going to the SEC and the FAT 10(well I guess adding U$C and UCLA will lower the Conference Body Fat Percentage), along with better NIL Deals for Players going to the Big Revenue Programs.

I think UT-Knoxville with their Uptempo Spread Offense is a Bad Matchup for PITT, as I recall last year the Defense dodged a few bullets when Milton overthrew a wide open WR two times early in the game, would have been easy TDs, and at least one other open WR on another play before he was benched for Hooker. Maybe, with Pickett PITT still could have come back from a larger deficit than 10-0, but would have been difficult on the road, as their crowd would have been louder.

I was going to bet against PITT getting 4.5, and even now as the line moved up to 7 Points, still might be a good bet taking UT-Knoxville. The only hope I have is the PITT Front 7 with some creative blitzes will get enough pressure on Hooker to create some TOs. The LBs outside of Dennis concern me though despite the Win in the Backyard.

No argument here. Just a personal dislike more than anything. And our defense concedes matchups (namely, one on one on the outside) that NFL offenses aspire to find, so that bugs me at times. The whole system is predicated on them being low percentage passes for college quarterbacks under pressure. But, as we've seen when we faced some of the good ones, that gets frustrating when they're hitting on those, because it doesn't seem like they have to work very hard for it.

But yeah - I'm not a fan of the offense we ran in the first half the other night at all. It's antiquated and inefficient. I look forward to seeing us open it up as the season moves on.

The whole point of the offense is to take advantage of the times when defense doesn't line up correctly because of the pace. It's built as an equalizer when playing better teams.

But yeah - I'm not a fan of the offense we ran in the first half the other night at all. It's antiquated and inefficient. I look forward to seeing us open it up as the season moves on.
I hope you are right about opening up the Offense, but based on what Cignetti did as the OC at Boston College, I am not expecting to see anything beyond trying to establish the Run, even if stubbornly against several Defensive Players stacked in the Box, then use Play Action Plays in the Passing Game.

Unfortunately, Slovis is not mobile enough to run any occasional RPO Plays, as a way to keep Defenses off balance, although I think Patti could be utilized for RPO Plays. As much as I had criticized Whipple, I was pleasantly surprised that he added a few RPO Plays with Pickett. I was mainly critical that Whipple had Pickett running to the Sidelines in between Plays, as even though Kenny might have been in Great Condition, I was thinking that over the course of the entire game(especially late in the 1st Half and 2nd Half), that it had to have some deteriorating effect for him to play at peak level, as even Soccer Players wear out over the course of constant movement in a game, where anaerobic conditioning to train the lactic acid energy system is critical. Made me wonder if that was the reason Pickett threw a rare bad pass late in the game loss to Da ‘U’, which was behind the WR and intercepted, but we will never know. It was a critical interception though, as the PITT WR if hit on stride probably would have scored a TD late in that game and most likely would have resulted in a Win. I hesitate to blame Pickett though, as he was not complaining about running to the sidelines in between plays, and just my take on it.

I think Slovis is an accurate Passer when given time to throw, but wonder if Patti might not be a better fit for this Offense, especially if needed to escape pressure with better Pocket Presence(whether the fault of the Offensive Line Protection, or delays by the WRs getting open, and not running their routes correctly, which then PITT might have a problem with their New WR Coach). I really cannot blame Addison for leaving PITT for USC, as they have a Better QB(potentially Top 3-4 in the College Football) and a HC in Riley, who runs a Great Passing Game. Either way, Addison would have been leaving for the NFL after this Season anyways. I am just hoping the Ghost Fumble(Still was baffled after seeing it on replay how that happened) and Dropped Long Ball by Bubs Means was just a Bad Game, and he will not make those mistakes the rest of this Season.

Last edited:
Only way Pitt wins …
1. Have enough run game and much better OL play to give Slovis 4-5 seconds to throw.
2. Must exploit over the middle burning LBs in pass coverage.
3. must must stop the UT running game esp on 3rd and short.
4. Hooker misses 3 or more wide open WRs

UT is without question a better team than 2021 , is Pitt ?
I hope you are right about opening up the Offense, but based on what Cignetti did as the OC at Boston College, I am not expecting to see anything beyond trying to establish the Run, even if stubbornly against several Defensive Players stacked in the Box, then use Play Action Plays in the Passing Game.

Unfortunately, Slovis is not mobile enough to run any occasional RPO Plays, as a way to keep Defenses off balance, although I think Patti could be utilized for RPO Plays. As much as I had criticized Whipple, I was pleasantly surprised that he added a few RPO Plays with Pickett. I was mainly critical that Whipple had Pickett running to the Sidelines in between Plays, as even though Kenny might have been in Great Condition, I was thinking that over the course of the entire game(especially late in the 1st Half and 2nd Half), that it had to have some deteriorating effect for him to play at peak level, as even Soccer Players wear out over the course of constant movement in a game, where anaerobic conditioning to train the lactic acid energy system is critical. Made me wonder if that was the reason Pickett threw a rare bad pass late in the game loss to Da ‘U’, which was behind the WR and intercepted, but we will never know. It was a critical interception though, as the PITT WR if hit on stride probably would have scored a TD late in that game and most likely would have resulted in a Win. I hesitate to blame Pickett though, as he was not complaining about running to the sidelines in between plays, and just my take on it.

I think Slovis is an accurate Passer when given time to throw, but wonder if Patti might not be a better fit for this Offense, especially if needed to escape pressure with better Pocket Presence(whether the fault of the Offensive Line Protection, or delays by the WRs getting open, and not running their routes correctly, which then PITT might have a problem with their New WR Coach). I really cannot blame Addison for leaving PITT for USC, as they have a Better QB(potentially Top 3-4 in the College Football) and a HC in Riley, who runs a Great Passing Game. Either way, Addison would have been leaving for the NFL after this Season anyways. I am just hoping the Ghost Fumble(Still was baffled after seeing it on replay how that happened) and Dropped Long Ball by Bubs Means was just a Bad Game, and he will not make those mistakes the rest of this Season.
Only way Pitt wins …
1. Have enough run game and much better OL play to give Slovis 4-5 seconds to throw.

• Haha
Only way Pitt wins …

Only way Pitt wins …

Tennessee played a scrimmage this week - which is the only fact we really know about them.

I ain't saying I am cleopatra but I had a vision in my dream last night where one of our Pitt guys was holding a balloon and floating up past the upper deck of Tennessee fans waving good bye to them as if it was a bad idea for them to come here because they are leaving with a loss. Thought he was eventually going to float into space until he was rescued by a nice guy in a helicopter who told him don't do that again in case he ain't up there to save him.

Reactions: jomurph11
As a Tennessee fan I would've agreed with you 10 years ago. Say what you want about Nick Saban, but his greatness and monopoly on college football talent caused this. Through all of our turmoil (dumpster fire administration, bad coaching hires, etc) Tennessee has consistently recruited at a top 10 level. Classes are always in the top 10-15 (aside from the years where we've had a new head coach in there). You wouldn't believe me if I told you Tennessee has had 4 top 5 recruiting classes in the last 15 years, but it's true. Having said all that, we'll land a top 10 class and be 6th in the SEC. We play Alabama, Georgia, & Florida every year... If you think you're going to line up head to head with our 3 & 4-star kids and beat Bama & Georgia's roster full of 4 & 5-star kids then you're just going to lose. You're forced to run an offense that can get any advantage over these juggernauts as you can...

You can get away with it at Pitt... unfortunately not in the SEC. Just my 2 cents

As a Tennessee fan I would've agreed with you 10 years ago. Say what you want about Nick Saban, but his greatness and monopoly on college football talent caused this. Through all of our turmoil (dumpster fire administration, bad coaching hires, etc) Tennessee has consistently recruited at a top 10 level. Classes are always in the top 10-15 (aside from the years where we've had a new head coach in there). You wouldn't believe me if I told you Tennessee has had 4 top 5 recruiting classes in the last 15 years, but it's true. Having said all that, we'll land a top 10 class and be 6th in the SEC. We play Alabama, Georgia, & Florida every year... If you think you're going to line up head to head with our 3 & 4-star kids and beat Bama & Georgia's roster full of 4 & 5-star kids then you're just going to lose. You're forced to run an offense that can get any advantage over these juggernauts as you can...

You can get away with it at Pitt... unfortunately not in the SEC. Just my 2 cents

I totally get it with Alabama and Georgia. The rest of the SEC? Eh, the myth has grown a bit out of hand, in my opinion. Every now and then, like that 2020 LSU team... sure. But the non Alabama and Georgia teams aren't that dominant year in and year out. It's the best conference by a country mile, and I get that. But Alabama and Georgia are on a level that no one else is.

I know that Tennessee has had some great classes, but us Pitt fans see with Miami and Penn State that it doesn't always guarantee success. Throw Texas in that mix, too.

As for the uptempo offense, I mostly agree with your take. You might as well do it if the rules allow it. It's just a personal thing, really - the spread is one thing one it comes to mitigating a disadvantage, but to go uptempo on top of that is just a weird gamesmanship angle that I could do without. I don't fault anyone for doing it, though. As for the spread, I wish Pitt would do it more. We opened it up last year and had a great season... then we came out last week and were insistent in running into 8 and 9-man fronts for some reason.

Reactions: ThePerkisSystem

I don't think this offense is going to give you that advantage either. It didn't seem to give Alabama or UGA too many problems last year. Not to mention that Bama's defense wasn't all that good last year. Tennessee is going to have to recruit better if they want to be tops in the SEC and nationally relevant again. (same for Florida, LSU, Auburn, etc.) Just slipping by and signing a top 10 class every year isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:
I don't think this offense is going to give you that advantage either. It didn't seem to give Alabama or UGA too many problems last year. Not to mention that Bama's defense wasn't all that good last year. Tennessee is going to have to recruit better if they want to be tops in the SEC and nationally relevant again. (same for Florida, LSU, Auburn, etc.) Just slipping by and signing a top 10 class every year isn't going to cut it.
Tallest midget here but we put up more points on UGA than anyone else not named Bama.

We also had more yards per play than Bama when we played. We couldn’t convert on 3rd down and had trouble running with backup RBs and OL.

Again, moral victories but we were crushed last year with attrition. We had no depth and had a lot of injuries.

The offense is legit. NIL will help neutralize some of that Bama/UGA talent gap too.

As for our game. It’s 50/50 in my mind. I expect an awesome game to honor Johnny.

I totally get it with Alabama and Georgia. The rest of the SEC? Eh, the myth has grown a bit out of hand, in my opinion. Every now and then, like that 2020 LSU team... sure. But the non Alabama and Georgia teams aren't that dominant year in and year out. It's the best conference by a country mile, and I get that. But Alabama and Georgia are on a level that no one else is.

I know that Tennessee has had some great classes, but us Pitt fans see with Miami and Penn State that it doesn't always guarantee success. Throw Texas in that mix, too.

As for the uptempo offense, I mostly agree with your take. You might as well do it if the rules allow it. It's just a personal thing, really - the spread is one thing one it comes to mitigating a disadvantage, but to go uptempo on top of that is just a weird gamesmanship angle that I could do without. I don't fault anyone for doing it, though. As for the spread, I wish Pitt would do it more. We opened it up last year and had a great season... then we came out last week and were insistent in running into 8 and 9-man fronts for some reason.

Look at the number of draft picks by conference, then tell me that SEC dominance is a myth.

I think you might be underplaying the body blows a team going through an SEC schedule takes.

Tennessee O/U win total with Pitt’s schedule would probably be 10.5

No disrespect. Pitt is the real deal… but the ACC as a whole is pretty freaking weak comparatively speaking.

From a Tennessee fan:

Offense:

Defense:

Go Vols
So you are predicting that the VOLS will score at least 39 points.
We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT