ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee, Pruitt, and Steele.

TD_6082

Athletic Director
Aug 11, 2001
Hampton Roads, VA
So last week, it's reported Tennessee has a hiring freeze. But now they have hired Kevin Steele from the fallout at Auburn. Anyone else thinking he might just be the next head coach of the Vols, but because of his abysmal record in his stint at Baylor, and the events of Shiano Sunday, they are trying to usher this guy in through the back door? That whole staff is in limbo, and I don't see why he would even take the job if he didn't know he was going to be around in the fall. And obviously, they need somebody on staff recruit and help with retention of players. I think they have 17 players in the portal. That whole bizarre soap opera should be wrapping up soon, and I think Pruitt is gone.

And regardless of the success Kevin Steele had at Auburn, the first thing I think of when I hear his name is how WVU lit his defense up like a pinball machine when he was defensive coordinator at Clemson.

Oh, and this...

There has been some kind of internal power grab at Tennessee over the past 3 decades:
- Fulmer gets Johnny Majors fired
- Fulmer got fired himself 17? years later
- Fulmer got the AD job.
- Coaching carousel.

Seems like there is a power struggle between Fulmer and someone else associated with the University. IMO as long as there's drama in Knoxville the Vols will be irrelevant.

Vols are losing 4 and 5 star players to the portal. Not looking good. Fulmer needs to go, and Pruitt needs to go with him.
Vols are a mess, financially and of course with some NCAA issues.

Vols are losing 4 and 5 star players to the portal. Not looking good. Fulmer needs to go, and Pruitt needs to go with him.
Vols are a mess, financially and of course with some NCAA issues.

Yup. Tennessee is one of a handful of schools that should never see prolonged struggles.

There has been some kind of internal power grab at Tennessee over the past 3 decades:
- Fulmer gets Johnny Majors fired
- Fulmer got fired himself 17? years later
- Fulmer got the AD job.
- Coaching carousel.

Seems like there is a power struggle between Fulmer and someone else associated with the University. IMO as long as there's drama in Knoxville the Vols will be irrelevant.

Fulmer has made Tennessee his personal ATM. He knows who to work to land a nice paycheck. His problem now is that the old money people are stepping back in to clean up his mess and the mess of the people that undercut their guys (Currie/Shiano/Manning) a few years ago. Fulmer was a worthless HC without David Cutliffe & he isn't an AD.

That said, that's a cluster**** of a program right now. Maybe Covid & the December signing period makes the situation less urgent and allows them to drag their feet a little more, but I don't think I've ever seen a school kneecap their own coach this way and allow him to twist this long. Meanwhile 17 guys have entered the portal and I don't see how that job can possibly as attractive as it was the last two times it was open, and we all saw how that went. 😆

Fulmer has made Tennessee his personal ATM. He knows who to work to land a nice paycheck. His problem now is that the old money people are stepping back in to clean up his mess and the mess of the people that undercut their guys (Currie/Shiano/Manning) a few years ago. Fulmer was a worthless HC without David Cutliffe & he isn't an AD.

That said, that's a cluster**** of a program right now. Maybe Covid & the December signing period makes the situation less urgent and allows them to drag their feet a little more, but I don't think I've ever seen a school kneecap their own coach this way and allow him to twist this long. Meanwhile 17 guys have entered the portal and I don't see how that job can possibly as attractive as it was the last two times it was open, and we all saw how that went. 😆
And all of their other sports programs pay the price.

Say “409.” If he equates it to a Beach Boys song he’s ok. If he recalls a pdeophile enabler who put football above all else he’s a cultist.

I’m excited as hell for this game next year. Thinking of heading to Nashville for a few days before the game with some friends then sliding into Knoxville for the game.

I’m excited as hell for this game next year. Thinking of heading to Nashville for a few days before the game with some friends then sliding into Knoxville for the game.
Nashville is about 3 hours away. Worth the trip before game. Of course bars aren’t the same right now. If you are lucky, late night often finds famous singers pop in and play some songs.

This just became a game where it would be embarrassing on our end if we somehow lost to these clowns.

Don't get your hopes up. We are absolutely pathetic in road OOC P5 games the past 15 years. And this will be a road P5 game against an SEC team.

Tennessee wins, proclaims the new coach (I'm sure someone with ties to Saban) to be the chosen one, then proceeds to finish the season 5-7. Meanwhile, we finish 8-4 on the cusp of the Top 25 rankings and wonder what could have been if only we beat Tennessee in the early season.

Reactions: bwh05
We're going to change that this year Slick.

It's a weird thing. Pitt has been in so many of those games with a chance to win late, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The two games at Iowa really stand out.

lol, I hope you are right, and you forgot to include PSU in 2019 from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Kevin Steele has been named the interim head coach according to some site. Makes you wonder why these SEC schools are falling head-over-heels for a 9-37 head coach.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Tennessee is bad. But if anything, Pruitt getting fired actually hurts our chances of winning next year. Narduzzi would have destroyed that 1990 offense they run.

Defense-first coaches that want to play “big-boy football” are the dumbest hires a program can make. There’s absolutely no competitive advantage to they do. But what’s worse is, they actually think there is. “We’re so outdated compared to everybody else it gives us an edge.”

Reactions: sonofabit
Tennessee is bad. But if anything, Pruitt getting fired actually hurts our chances of winning next year. Narduzzi would have destroyed that 1990 offense they run.

Defense-first coaches that want to play “big-boy football” are the dumbest hires a program can make. There’s absolutely no competitive advantage to they do. But what’s worse is, they actually think there is. “We’re so outdated compared to everybody else it gives us an edge.”

I think they are going to give it to Steele. It will be interesting to see the fallout from here. This investigation may cut in further to the current roster. They have already taken a hit, and they sucked out loud anyways.

I think they are going to give it to Steele. It will be interesting to see the fallout from here. This investigation may cut in further to the current roster. They have already taken a hit, and they sucked out loud anyways.
That would be outstanding as a Pitt fan.

I’m not sure they even have much of a choice. They are getting a new AD. Until he is hired, they aren’t going to hire a coach. By the time he’s hired, you’re already about into spring practice.

Their best bet is probably to let Steele coach the team next year, and then make the hire next November/December.

Don't get your hopes up. We are absolutely pathetic in road OOC P5 games the past 15 years. And this will be a road P5 game against an SEC team.

Tennessee wins, proclaims the new coach (I'm sure someone with ties to Saban) to be the chosen one, then proceeds to finish the season 5-7. Meanwhile, we finish 8-4 on the cusp of the Top 25 rankings and wonder what could have been if only we beat Tennessee in the early season.

agree
I unofficially have them 2-18 on road vs ooc P5/ND since 1997.....

Hang on folks, the rollercoaster has just begun. Pruitt has lawyers and they’re clapping back.

And you thought the last Tennessee coaching search was crazy... the sequel may be even better!

The scenario you hypothesize has potential. However, if that does come true, Narduzzi should be fired before he gets on the plane back to Pittsburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT