ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Oklahoma reach out to SEC

Oh boy. Here we go. What does this thread end up at in a month? 8 pages? 9? 10?? 20?? Grant of Rights is mentioned how many times???

Though....this would be a GOOD thing for the ACC as it kind leaves out Clemson, FSU and the Carolina schools really no options.

WVU "not pleased" but if you could bring in ND, WVU would be nice for the 16th just based on so many natural and potential rivalries. (Pitt, VT, Lville, Syracuse, Miami) and then the Carolina schools, FSU and Clemson.

I forget this long argument from year ago, but didn't texas have their own separate deal that essentially allows them to leave without paying the grants of rights?

I could be absolutely incorrect on this. I just seem to recall something like this...

if this is true, why wouldnt SEC say yes immediately. imagine that bargaining chip in re-negotiating their TV deal.. I know they just signed a 10 year deal with espn but this changes things..

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
We all know notre dame won't join. So pick 2 from the big 12 that you would want in the acc.

WVU?
TCU?
Iowa State?

Or does the ACC make a basketball move and go after Kansas and another?

We all know notre dame won't join. So pick 2 from the big 12 that you would want in the acc.

WVU?
TCU?
Iowa State?

Or does the ACC make a basketball move and go after Kansas and another?
Everyone would go to 16 right. Pac 12 picks up 2, same with big 10 and us. Think that would still leave a school like Texas tech without a conference.

Tcu and wvu would be cool.

99.9% chance this is garbage.

Writer will say things fell apart last second after they get a million clicks.

If this was the Dude or some blogger, maybe...but coming from the Houston chronicle tells me it has legs...obviously both sides need to be willing. Does the SEC truly need Texas and Oklahoma? My guess is they would take them in a heartbeat.

Maybe but as we have seen, often these reports are actually true. Did anyone believe Rutgers to the Big Ten at first?

If this happens, the Pac 12 would be there to poach OKSt, TT, and 2 of TCU, Baylor, Houston.

Problem is the Big Ten would feel the need to expand also. Sure, Kansas would be an easy add but they would think much larger: FSU, Clemson, GT, etc. Not saying those schools would leave the ACC, but they'd 100% be asked to join the Big Ten if Texas and OU join the SEC.

Big 12 East
WVU
UCF
USF
Cincy
ISU
Memphis

Big 12 West
Kansas
KST
Houston
SMU
Colorado State
Boise State

Last edited:

If Dennis Dodd confirms it, then you’ll know it’s false. Guy hasn’t been correct yet on expansion talk.

It’s almost impossible to not get one accidentally correct with how many predictions he has made.

Reactions: ThePanthers
If this was the Dude or some blogger, maybe...but coming from the Houston chronicle tells me it has legs...obviously both sides need to be willing. Does the SEC truly need Texas and Oklahoma? My guess is they would take them in a heartbeat.
I've read numerous stories like this from the Houston chronicles, wt(insert rest of call letters) news stations, and even the Dennis Dodds of the world. There is literally 2 or 3 people that would have this break and actually be legit and this is not one of them.

What ever happened to the argument that Oklahoma wasn't going anywhere without Oklahoma State?

Oh boy. Here we go. What does this thread end up at in a month? 8 pages? 9? 10?? 20?? Grant of Rights is mentioned how many times???

Though....this would be a GOOD thing for the ACC as it kind leaves out Clemson, FSU and the Carolina schools really no options.

WVU "not pleased" but if you could bring in ND, WVU would be nice for the 16th just based on so many natural and potential rivalries. (Pitt, VT, Lville, Syracuse, Miami) and then the Carolina schools, FSU and Clemson.
Regarding the ACC, there’s been speculation throughout the years that if another “seismic shift” happened, the B1G may look to poach one of the North Carolina and/or Virginia schools. Do you buy that?

Who knows, maybe they think they have to make a power play of their to respond to what the SEC does.

Also, I find the timing of this very interesting. Perhaps they realize they no longer need to win their conference to make the CFP and believe they can make more money switching conferences?

Pitt should use the new expansion needs and get itself into the Big 10. It's a better fit. The ACC is a southern/Carolina conference, especially if the add a couple more teams from the south.

Pitt should use the new expansion needs and get itself into the Big 10. It's a better fit. The ACC is a southern/Carolina conference, especially if the add a couple more teams from the south.

Size wise, Pitt fits better with the ACC like Miami, BC, Cuse, WF, Duke, GT, VT. In the B10 the only school size wise is Northwestern.

Pete thamel just tweeted that he talked to a few people and the general feel is Texas is going to explore free agency after this next tv deal expires.

Is going to put out an article. He is one of the 2 or 3 people I would believe.

Reactions: JSSTartan
years and years ago, i believe around the time of the first expansion, i had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Joe Bendel at a bar in south side.. I believe he was covering pitt in some capacity at the time. after a few beers, i asked him if the rumors were true about pitt going to the big 10..

his answer was great and still is 100% true to this day. He said and i quote, "pitt isnt going to the big 10 for the same reason you and i didnt go to prom with the hot girl, because they dont want us." Funny and i overlooked the assumption he made that the hot girl in high school didnt want me. But yes, a great answer and like i said, has held up 15+ years later..

Regarding the ACC, there’s been speculation throughout the years that if another “seismic shift” happened, the B1G may look to poach one of the North Carolina and/or Virginia schools. Do you buy that?

Who knows, maybe they think they have to make a power play of their to respond to what the SEC does.
Yes and no. I mean the population shift and getting into the Carolinas makes some sense. But......really with so many streaming methods the original expansion criteria of cable subscribers is likely done. I am wondering if the Big Ten is regretting Rutgers, if not Maryland and we know Pac 12 has regretted its expansion. and honestly I am guessing the ACC isn't doing cartwheels over Syracuse and Pitt.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Yes and no. I mean the population shift and getting into the Carolinas makes some sense. But......really with so many streaming methods the original expansion criteria of cable subscribers is likely done. I am wondering if the Big Ten is regretting Rutgers, if not Maryland and we know Pac 12 has regretted its expansion. and honestly I am guessing the ACC isn't doing cartwheels over Syracuse and Pitt.
Good thing we got in when we did then! ;)

years and years ago, i believe around the time of the first expansion, i had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Joe Bendel at a bar in south side.. I believe he was covering pitt in some capacity at the time. after a few beers, i asked him if the rumors were true about pitt going to the big 10..

his answer was great and still is 100% true to this day. He said and i quote, "pitt isnt going to the big 10 for the same reason you and i didnt go to prom with the hot girl, because they dont want us." Funny and i overlooked the assumption he made that the hot girl in high school didnt want me. But yes, a great answer and like i said, has held up 15+ years later..
They didn't want Pitt in the end, but Pitt was vetted and discussed by the B10. PSU was not an ally. There are even public statements by Gene Smith about this.

You can take it to the bank. This is happening. OU and UT (along with the big boys of SEC) will make a monstrous amount of $. I don’t think all members will make the same.

Even if SEC (whether conference as a whole or certain members) didn’t want to invite these 2 studs, they would still do it because they know the Big Ten would do it.....btw, they want to add them. That check will be astronomical.

This is the first domino to fall in what will eventually be the end of college football conferences. They’ll still exist for all other sports.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT