ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Oklahoma reach out to SEC

I would predict Kansas, Oklahoma St, Baylor, and TT to the PAC12. Then pair them up with Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado for their half of the division.
State politics being a player (everywhere else but Pennsylvania), do you reasonably see Kansas going anywhere without Kansas State?

I would predict Kansas, Oklahoma St, Baylor, and TT to the PAC12. Then pair them up with Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado for their half of the division.
The PAC12 isn't going to add Baylor, if they added KU, Ok State and TT, they'd look to the Mtn. West(UNLV or New Mexico) or the AAC(Houston) to get to 16. The PAC12 has no interest in private religious schools like Baylor, TCU and BYU, or doubling up on Kansas schools so no KSU, or extending all the way to Iowa for that states secondary school so no ISU.

I agree with your last statement. I believe we’ve discussed this on here before, but I envision some of the streaming/tech companies jumping in for the viewing rights. They’d have so much money that they could break up whatever Grant of Rights and/or buyouts are in place and bring the top “brands” of college football together to create a super league. Just my opinion, though.
In the old days, the 3 major networks controlled all content. It's likely that we end up a couple of "networks" dominating the space again but those networks are going to be Netflix and others not ABC, CBS and NBC.

In the old days, the 3 major networks controlled all content. It's likely that we end up a couple of "networks" dominating the space again but those networks are going to be Netflix and others not ABC, CBS and NBC.
Netflix has no interest in live sports, they once again said that the other day. Umm ABC is Disney and NBC is Comcast, those are the ones along with NewsCorp(FOX) and Warner Media(TBS/TNT) dominating the space.

You know, the one school nobody is talking about is Oregon. I know they're out on an island but they are an AAU school. That would be the splash the B1G could easily make.
If the Big 10 went west they‘d take 4 or 6 teams from the PAC12, but could Oregon go anywhere without Oregon State, Washington without Washington State, what combo of California schools would they want and which Arizona school. They could actually keep with the Big 10 rule of only contiguous states if they took Colorado, Arizona, whatever California schools, Oregon and Washington.

If the Big 10 went west they‘d take 4 or 6 teams from the PAC12, but could Oregon go anywhere without Oregon State, Washington without Washington State, what combo of California schools would they want and which Arizona school. They could actually keep with the Big 10 rule of only contiguous states if they took Colorado, Arizona, whatever California schools, Oregon and Washington.
They used to say OU couldn't go anywhere without OkSt and Texas couldn't go anywhere without Tech. But here we are.

From the article:

Several ACC athletic directors believed that their league would make a push in the next few years to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Note Dame, which already is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

In another ESPN article "one official within the ACC membership told ESPN on Thursday the Longhorns and Sooners would be the only teams that would move the realignment needle for the league."

In other words, this mucked up the ACC's long-term plans.

Just like when Maryland left, it destroyed its efforts to grab PSU.

Last edited:
My apologies. Conference format FOR FOOTBALL ONLY. I erroneously believed that to be understood. All other sports will definitely have conferences.
Yes exactly. There is precedence for this. NCAA hockey doesn't follow these strict conference lineups. I think there are baseball conferences and wrestling too.

Football, and I have been saying this for awhile, should be its own entity. Have no bearing on the other sports. Absolutely no reason to drag WVU women's soccer or swimming to Lubbock and Waco Texas for a match or meet, just because football needs a home.

Football programs can have their own conferences. The rest of the sports should go back to geographic, logical conferences.

Yes exactly. There is precedence for this. NCAA hockey doesn't follow these strict conference lineups. I think there are baseball conferences and wrestling too.

Football, and I have been saying this for awhile, should be its own entity. Have no bearing on the other sports. Absolutely no reason to drag WVU women's soccer or swimming to Lubbock and Waco Texas for a match or meet, just because football needs a home.

Football programs can have their own conferences. The rest of the sports should go back to geographic, logical conferences.
Those other arrangements are so that the conference can sponsor the sport. Air Force is in the Big12 for wrestling and ND joined the B1G for hockey for that reason.

Today, football is one of the main reasons conferences exist. Basketball is #2 . Believe it or not, the Olympic sports and research/academics still kind of matter to the schools despite what a simple minded fool that lurks here, thinks.

Reactions: singregardless
Netflix has no interest in live sports, they once again said that the other day. Umm ABC is Disney and NBC is Comcast, those are the ones along with NewsCorp(FOX) and Warner Media(TBS/TNT) dominating the space.
I wasn't talking about today. Not sure if you misread or if I worded or poorly.

In another ESPN article "one official within the ACC membership told ESPN on Thursday the Longhorns and Sooners would be the only teams that would move the realignment needle for the league."

In other words, this mucked up the ACC's long-term plans.

Just like when Maryland left, it destroyed its efforts to grab PSU.
Interesting. Seems like, as many alluded to, the ACC has no interest in WVU?

ND has no reason to join a conference. They've made the playoffs plenty as an independent with only four teams, when it jumps to twelve they'll still have no problem making it.

WVU makes sense for the ACC, for myriads of reasons. The other one to make it 16 is more problematic.

Cincy? No.
Memphis? No.
UCF? No.
Coax Maryland back? Nope.
Ok State? Meh.
Baylor? Nope. The whiny people would block a Baptist school.
TCU? Too small.
K State? Same.
T Tech? Too far.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
ND has no reason to join a conference. They've made the playoffs plenty as an independent with only four teams, when it jumps to twelve they'll still have no problem making it.

WVU makes sense for the ACC, for myriads of reasons. The other one to make it 16 is more problematic.

Cincy? No.
Memphis? No.
UCF? No.
Coax Maryland back? Nope.
Ok State? Meh.
Baylor? Nope. The whiny people would block a Baptist school.
TCU? Too small.
K State? Same.
T Tech? Too far.
Honestly, why not just 15? They showed last year that it could work for football. The other options don’t entice me, so I’d just hold off and leave the 16th spot for Notre Dame whenever the time comes.

The only reason Notre Dame will ever have to join a conference is if basically the P5 teams decide to separate from the rest of FBS and form their own league under a whole league TV contract (basically an NFL model). Until then, Notre Dame to any conference is a pipe dream.

Is Northwestern a land-grant university?
No. Michigan, Iowa and Indiana also are not.
Those other arrangements are so that the conference can sponsor the sport. Air Force is in the Big12 for wrestling and ND joined the B1G for hockey for that reason.
The B1G had hockey before Notre Dame joined. Hopkins joining the B1G as an affiliate member for lacrosse which allowed the conference to sponsor that sport (after also adding Maryland and Rutgers).

No, as long as they get eleven schools to vote in favor of extending invites… which begs the question, who else would vote no? Maybe the old Big 8/XII schools? Wonder what, say, Alabama would think about two more blue bloods joining? Makes for an interesting discussion.
I'm hearing only TAMU & Mizzou are adamantly against it.

FWIW, I think the ACC might have actually got the ball rolling on this. From what I'm hearing, the ACC liked what Notre Dame did for the brand last year and they reached out to Texas & OU after ND made it clear they weren't interested in coming aboard when the ACC pushed hard to make that happen.

I'm hearing only TAMU & Mizzou are adamantly against it.

FWIW, I think the ACC might have actually got the ball rolling on this. From what I'm hearing, the ACC liked what Notre Dame did for the brand last year and they reached out to Texas & OU after ND made it clear they weren't interested in coming aboard when the ACC pushed hard to make that happen.
I saw that, too, and I could’ve swore I saw a rumor a few years ago about Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas joining Notre Dame to create an 18-team conference.

As someone else alluded to on here this week, this may be the second time the ACC’s long-term expansion plans were messed up by what another conference did (Big Ten, Maryland). At least the foresight was there?

I saw that, too, and I could’ve swore I saw a rumor a few years ago about Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas joining Notre Dame to create an 18-team conference.

As someone else alluded to on here this week, this may be the second time the ACC’s long-term expansion plans were messed up by what another conference did (Big Ten, Maryland). At least the foresight was there?

If there is a major shakeup across multiple conferences I think Kansas is in big trouble, they are going to have trouble finding a spot.

I really think this is all going to blow up. After reading that Texas and Oklahoma are possibly getting 1.5 shares, why wouldn’t they take it. They are going to continue to run that conference and get what they want no matter what.

I wouldn’t be surprised if FOX comes in and says ya know what let’s renegotiate because they are the one that really takes an L in all this.

Texas & OU are gone.

The 1.5 share thing is just a desperate plea, because they have to do something to make it look like they are trying to salvage their league.

B12 offering 1.5 shares of the revenue to them to stay…..
For what it's worth, this is what I thought UT and OU were angling for back on page one of this thread.

I read an article on the "market valuation" of the two schools assuming they were worth what the SEC money would bring to them. It was mostly nonsense but it did break down the cost to the other Big12 schools if this scheme had legs and it made a good argument for this being a good idea for the rest of the Big12. Well, except for WVU. The conventional thinking is that WVU would be a natural fit in the ACC and better off in the long run. For them, taking a cut in revenue is okay if they end up playing an eastern football schedule.

Here's the first shoe dropping.

No. The streaming world doesn’t have interest in live sports content. Just the current partners. The way of the future is definitely Comcast, etc.

You’re fooling yourself if you think anything other than population and cable subscriptions in the location of a school matter. Syracuse, BC, and many other irrelevant brands are safe and sound.

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
No. The streaming world doesn’t have interest in live sports content. Just the current partners. The way of the future is definitely Comcast, etc.

You’re fooling yourself if you think anything other than population and cable subscriptions in the location of a school matter. Syracuse, BC, and many other irrelevant brands are safe and sound.
I’m surprised you think this way. Not because, in my opinion, it’s the complete opposite of where the industries are headed, but because WVU would likely stand to benefit in such a scenario where brand value means more.

I’m surprised you think this way. Not because, in my opinion, it’s the complete opposite of where the industries are headed, but because WVU would likely stand to benefit in such a scenario where brand value means more.
Your post is the textbook definition of what’s wrong with message boards for sports teams:
1. You can’t detect sarcasm. How can you possibly not instantly roll your eyes or laugh at my post? Sarcasm detection is a measure of frontal lobe function. Surely, a Pitt alum has that capacity, no?
2. You think that everyone seeks affirmation instead of information. Just because there are many posters who only want to agree or ridicule anything that promotes their school doesn’t mean that all do. Does the affirmation make one feel better?

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
Your post is the textbook definition of what’s wrong with message boards for sports teams:
1. You can’t detect sarcasm. How can you possibly not instantly roll your eyes or laugh at my post? Sarcasm detection is a measure of frontal lobe function. Surely, a Pitt alum has that capacity, no?
2. You think that everyone seeks affirmation instead of information. Just because there are many posters who only want to agree or ridicule anything that promotes their school doesn’t mean that all do. Does the affirmation make one feel better?
I’m not really sure how to respond to this, but I will say that my comment was in regards to us previously being “on the same page” on the subject of streaming/live sports. Perhaps I could have worded it better…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT