ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Cookie…your coworker knows…

I don't know if I would call Larry the best player to never win the Heisman, but I definitely consider him the guy who got robbed the worst from winning the Heisman during his best season. I wasn't alive for Jim Brown so I cannot judge his case for the trophy, but he would be up there with Larry.

I don't know if I would call Larry the best player to never win the Heisman, but I definitely consider him the guy who got robbed the worst from winning the Heisman during his best season. I wasn't alive for Jim Brown so I cannot judge his case for the trophy, but he would be up there with Larry.
Considering who won it in place of Larry, I feel Larry was robbed.

Remember the local writers boasted of not voting for Larry simply because he was a sophomore. Like saying he was the best player but too young. Then a few years later they voted for Adrian Peterson as a freshman. Total BS

Remember the local writers boasted of not voting for Larry simply because he was a sophomore. Like saying he was the best player but too young. Then a few years later they voted for Adrian Peterson as a freshman. Total BS
Yeah this was discussed in another cook thread a bit, but I’m with you. Our local writers vote with “objectivity” and pump their chests when it comes to Pitt. But…would they have that objectivity with the Steelers?

This makes sense! There were great players who lost to other great players for the Heisman.

Larry lost (by terrible sports writers) to Jason "freakin" White!

This makes sense! There were great players who lost to other great players for the Heisman.

Larry lost (by terrible sports writers) to Jason "freakin" White!
Right. Vince Young was a great QB and amazing college football player, but it's hard to say he got robbed when Reggie Bush won it. And in light of the fact that Young's Rose Bowl performance took place after the award was issued so it was irrelevant to the Heisman.

Larry, on the other hand, got robbed.

Right. Vince Young was a great QB and amazing college football player, but it's hard to say he got robbed when Reggie Bush won it. And in light of the fact that Young's Rose Bowl performance took place after the award was issued so it was irrelevant to the Heisman.

Larry, on the other hand, got robbed.
Yep and look at George Rogers when he beat Huuuuuugh out. He had almost 1800 yds and 6 yds a carry!

In my opinion and based on achievements at Pitt, Hugh Green was the second greatest player that played for Pitt. That being said, Fitz was a bigger rip off when it comes to the Heisman.

In 1980, Green was the the best player in college football. However, you could have made a case for Rogers or H. Walker. But there is no way you can make a logical case for White over Fitz.

Considering who won it in place of Larry, I feel Larry was robbed.
There were probably 12 QB's who could have put up the same numbers at Oklahoma that year. The fact that Oklahoma has all of these guys put up all of these numbers and never translate to the NFL, well I think voters need to stop going with something that is so obvious.

i've been critical of Zeise but i was listening to his show a few nights ago and he talked about Narduzzi, PItt, Lyke and man he really nailed it. How college teams give up on coaches too quick and how Duzzer finally built a program by sticking with him.

He admitted that he wasnt sold on him but Lyke stayed with him and they have a culture now, a program and he used Ga tech as an example who will fire Collins soon and they'll start all over from scratch. How programs just do this same thing every 3-4 years and gain nothing..

It was pretty good. Zeise is not a pitt apologist by any stretch either so i was a bit surprised by it..

Larry's team lost to Toledo. You don't win the Heisman trophy when your team loses to Toledo.
so the heisman goes to the best player on the best team then? I didnt know that, i thought it went to college football's best player..

just give it to Bama or tOSU's qb every year and save us from watching it. oh wait, they already do that.

Number 99……HUGH green!!!!!!!
When the idiots on ESPN were pushing for Chase Young a few years back, and this past year for Hutchinson from Michigan I wanted to scream.

Green's numbers were insane, especially considering that people would try to avoid him. He was unavoidable.

In THREE seasons, 34 games, Young totaled - 68 solo tackles, 30 assisted tackles, 40.5 for a loss and 30.5 sacks. He also forced 9 fumbles.

Hutchinson, in FOUR seasons, 36 games, totaled - 85 solo tackles, 71 assisted tackles, 27.5 for a loss and 17.5 sacks. He also forced five fumbles.

Number 99, Huuugh Greeeeen, 48 games, totaled - 277 tackles, 183 assists, 52 tackles for loss, 53 sacks, 24 fumbles forced, 13 fumbles recovered and 76 hurries.

In his senior season, where he finished second to George Rogers, Hugh had 77 tackles, 46 assists, 17 sacks, 7 FF.

It was not as criminal that Green did not win as it was that Larry did not win but, in today's age where they do acknowledge defensive players I think Green would have a shot. I'm still amazed that Purdue's Mark Hermann received the most votes that year in the Midwest. I guess they didn't have televisions.

When the idiots on ESPN were pushing for Chase Young a few years back, and this past year for Hutchinson from Michigan I wanted to scream.

Green's numbers were insane, especially considering that people would try to avoid him. He was unavoidable.

In THREE seasons, 34 games, Young totaled - 68 solo tackles, 30 assisted tackles, 40.5 for a loss and 30.5 sacks. He also forced 9 fumbles.

Hutchinson, in FOUR seasons, 36 games, totaled - 85 solo tackles, 71 assisted tackles, 27.5 for a loss and 17.5 sacks. He also forced five fumbles.

Number 99, Huuugh Greeeeen, 48 games, totaled - 277 tackles, 183 assists, 52 tackles for loss, 53 sacks, 24 fumbles forced, 13 fumbles recovered and 76 hurries.

In his senior season, where he finished second to George Rogers, Hugh had 77 tackles, 46 assists, 17 sacks, 7 FF.

It was not as criminal that Green did not win as it was that Larry did not win but, in today's age where they do acknowledge defensive players I think Green would have a shot. I'm still amazed that Purdue's Mark Hermann received the most votes that year in the Midwest. I guess they didn't have televisions.
The 24 forced fumbles is mind boggling!

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

your last paragraph is probably correct. How many pitt games in the late 70's were even on tv? i can turn on my tv in 2022 and watch an IUP game in HD but back then, no internet, no espn, very limited stations, you think fans in the midwest or south were watching pitt or hugh green? And we were a premiere program then. I think in this day and age, yes, Green would be a favorite with that production.

I bet most fans never heard of him til the SI cover. Different times.

so the heisman goes to the best player on the best team then? I didnt know that, i thought it went to college football's best player..

just give it to Bama or tOSU's qb every year and save us from watching it. oh wait, they already do that.
Pitt scored like 35 points in that loss. It wasn’t Fitz or the offense to blame. Reminiscent of the WMU game last year, Paul Rhoads, who had two NFL cornerbacks, couldn’t figure out a way to stop a simple slant pattern all night. He kept the corners 20 yards off the ball right to the bitter end. Bruce Gradkowski scored a sweet, sweet NFL career as a backup QB thanks to the game. Fitz on the flip side should have smacked Rhoads upside his head.

As far as Jason White, or Mraz, or whoever it was who won, he wasn’t even the best player in his own backfield that season.

There were probably 12 QB's who could have put up the same numbers at Oklahoma that year. The fact that Oklahoma has all of these guys put up all of these numbers and never translate to the NFL, well I think voters need to stop going with something that is so obvious.
It's because the Big12 plays a superior brand of football but the rest of the world just hasn't realized it, yet.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
…what if 2013 Aaron Donald played for Notre Dame?
he would have played for a top 20 team and probably been given more consideration for the Heisman (probably the same as if he had played for a top 10 Pitt team instead of a 7-5 Pitt team) but never gotten near it as Jameis Winston was the clear favorite..not sure what you were going for here...

your last paragraph is probably correct. How many pitt games in the late 70's were even on tv? i can turn on my tv in 2022 and watch an IUP game in HD but back then, no internet, no espn, very limited stations, you think fans in the midwest or south were watching pitt or hugh green? And we were a premiere program then. I think in this day and age, yes, Green would be a favorite with that production.

I bet most fans never heard of him til the SI cover. Different times.
Actually, Pitt was on TV more than most back then.

Reactions: pittmeister
Pitt scored like 35 points in that loss. It wasn’t Fitz or the offense to blame. Reminiscent of the WMU game last year, Paul Rhoads, who had two NFL cornerbacks, couldn’t figure out a way to stop a simple slant pattern all night. He kept the corners 20 yards off the ball right to the bitter end. Bruce Gradkowski scored a sweet, sweet NFL career as a backup QB thanks to the game. Fitz on the flip side should have smacked Rhoads upside his head.

As far as Jason White, or Mraz, or whoever it was who won, he wasn’t even the best player in his own backfield that season.
Had that game been at the Stadium formally known as Heinz Field there would have been a riot and fans would have been justified in rioting, that's how bad it was watching that game live.

Well said…

Hugh Green:

Walter Camp Award (1980)
Maxwell Award (1980)
Lombardi Award (1980)
Sporting News Player of the Year (1980)
UPI Player of the Year (1980)
UPI Lineman of the Year (1980)
3× Consensus All-American (19781980)
Second-team All-American (1977)
Pittsburgh Panthers No. 99 retired

That is quiet a resume…

Reactions: PittAU and 303vND

I seem to remember the Toledo bubble screen sustaining drive after drive. That game was a perfect example of death by paper cuts.

I seem to remember the Toledo bubble screen sustaining drive after drive. That game was a perfect example of death by paper cuts.

yep, but I remember we still had the chance to run out the clock at the end but didn't convert on a key 3rd down and short? We punted and Toledo drove down for the winning score. I also remember the game wasn't televised locally so adding to the pain was trying to follow the action by listening to Hillgrove.

yep, but I remember we still had the chance to run out the clock at the end but didn't convert on a key 3rd down and short? We punted and Toledo drove down for the winning score. I also remember the game wasn't televised locally so adding to the pain was trying to follow the action by listening to Hillgrove.
Well, I was there for that nightmare. Pain is certainly one way to describe it. It was like Gradkowski's 2nd career start and he must have had 70 pass attempts. Pitt was up 10 in the 4th too...

Just a maddening game to behold.

Well, I was there for that nightmare. Pain is certainly one way to describe it. It was like Gradkowski's 2nd career start and he must have had 70 pass attempts. Pitt was up 10 in the 4th too...

That game was the beginning of the end of the Walt era. That was his year to produce, and he laid a big egg.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops

I was there as well. Add the terrible crumbling high school type of stadium to the misery. We did some tailgating but the parking lot was on something like a near 45 degree slope. Add to that it was Toledo’s biggest win ever to date (possibly still is), so you’d figure at least their crowd would be happy and not hassle us heading back to our car, but their fans were perversely pissed off and angry and formed an abusive gauntlet we had to push through. The only good thing about the experience is that we also had Steelers tickets for their game in Cincinnati the next day, and the Steelers TCOB that day unlike our crappy team/ coaches. Hated Paul Rhoads guts ever since.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops

It's a single season award, not a lifetime achievement award . . . but your summary of his senior season does make the case for Hugh.

ADVERTISEMENT