ADVERTISEMENT

That first two-point conversion and Narduzzi's TOs

Like many others in this thread, I‘ve had my back n forth with you on our defense on that play. But unlike many others in this thread, I have no major problems with where our back 7 were on that play aside from what I think was Dennis’ slow reaction to the RB. So I think I’m mostly in agreement with you on those back 7.

I still don’t agree with you on Kamara though/where we had him positioned on that play or what his focus was ir should have been. That’s pretty much my sole dissatisfaction with the play. You’re putting that primarily on his execution. Based on his positioning and lack of focus on the RB, I think a good bit of the blame goes on scheme/coaching.

Yeah, if Kamara DID have the running back he sure didn't know it.

Not unbelievable to think that he missed an assignment, as that seems to be a common theme this season. But all I can really go by is the video. In that, he is clearly playing the QB. And that is just INSANE in that situation. As for who is at fault, well, I guess we would need more information on that.

I understand the coverage just fine. Man coverage in that situation is stupid. Even your high school coach should know that. Man coverage leaves you in a situation where one guy does something stupid and you get scored on. And that's exactly what happened here.
You do realize that 90% of red zone coverage is some version of man - correct?

Duzz/Bates doubled down on it and gave the DB's and LB's extra help by leaving the safeties in zone and letting them just play the ball.

But, let's just say the ball is on the 50 and not in the red zone. You say man coverages leaves you in a situation where one guys does something stupid and you get scored on. Bro - I've coached for close 20 years and I've seen every type of zone get busted over the years whether it's 3 deep, 2 deep, 4 deep, etc.... Why do you think the whole match quarters and Saban's rip/liz schemes are the norm and not spot dropping anymore?

But most people, even high school assistant coaches, understand that they don't need to get to the back of the end zone, only the front of it.

I run 2 man all the time in the red zone. We rarely if ever give up passing touchdowns in the red zone. The biggest liability in 2 man in the red zone is the QB being a runner. But, with it being 18-19 yards to the endzone, it's incredibly sound.

I guess you want to spot drop and scream pass/ball in that situation lol...

Yeah, if Kamara DID have the running back he sure didn't know it.

Not unbelievable to think that he missed an assignment, as that seems to be a common theme this season. But all I can really go by is the video. In that, he is clearly playing the QB. And that is just INSANE in that situation. As for who is at fault, well, I guess we would need more information on that.

He's confused for sure.

You say this seems to be the common theme? Duzz has the #16 ranked defense in the country.

Why would you need to know more info? We are clearly in 2 man. You can tell by the presnap view. You can tell that Dennis takes all of #3.

And, no they aren't "banjoing" or "comboing" #3 to #4.

You do realize that 90% of red zone coverage is some version of man - correct?

Because 90% of red zone snaps are not essentially 4th and goal from the 19.

You do realize that the situation is completely different on 4th and 18 from the 19 than it is on 4th and goal from the two, or first and ten from the 19 - correct?

He's confused for sure.

You say this seems to be the common theme? Duzz has the #16 ranked defense in the country.

Why would you need to know more info? We are clearly in 2 man. You can tell by the presnap view. You can tell that Dennis takes all of #3.

And, no they aren't "banjoing" or "comboing" #3 to #4.

Kamara being out of position is a common theme.

The defense overall has been good, albeit against a fairly anemic schedule.

Because 90% of red zone snaps are not essentially 4th and goal from the 19.

You do realize that the situation is completely different on 4th and 18 from the 19 than it is on 4th and goal from the two, or first and ten from the 19 - correct?
what coverage are you running in that situation - genius?

Why do you think all the 7 on 7 gurus sit in 2 man???

I guess you want to spot drop and have the team and bench yell "pass" "ball" "bingo"

what coverage are you running in that situation - genius?

I already said what I would have been doing.

And what I would have been doing wouldn't have had six guys five or more yards deep in the end zone and one guy three yards deep so that someone could catch the ball short of the goal line and easily score.

I get that you have a vested interest as a high school assistant coach in pretending that coaches are really smart and that it simply isn't possible for anyone else to understand something as complex as a two man defense, but it's OK for you to admit that sometimes coaches do things that aren't very smart. We won't think any less of you if you do.

are the 4 detached receivers in the endzone? - yes

Is PITT supposed to have someone covering #4? - yes - this would've been on the coaches had we lined up in 4 down but we didn't. We lined up with 3 down. The guy responsible for #4 doesn't do his job. If he does his job, no one is talking.
Did they have a timeout literally to discuss it ?
Yes
Was the assignments made clear to the players ?
Apparently not

The more offensive analogy would be the two slovis picks directly into multiple Duke defenders with no pitt wr in the area .
Regardless of the qb and wr reading the coverage difference - slovis can’t make those throws and whatever play call sucks as a result .
So - yes - if the offense calls a timeout and the result of the play is a total failure -
Yes it’s likewise on the coaches

They are the very well paid professionals

I already said what I would have been doing.

And what I would have been doing wouldn't have had six guys five or more yards deep in the end zone and one guy three yards deep so that someone could catch the ball short of the goal line and easily score.

I get that you have a vested interest as a high school assistant coach in pretending that coaches are really smart and that it simply isn't possible for anyone else to understand something as complex as a two man defense, but it's OK for you to admit that sometimes coaches do things that aren't very smart. We won't think any less of you if you do.

2 man in the red zone allows the safeties to basically play robber. They can be way more aggressive then they typically are in other parts of the field. If Kamara does his job, we're going to have a 2 on 1 when the ball is in the air, possibly a 3 on 1.

I'm not a HS assistant coach.

Coaches do dumb things all the time. In this case, it isn't dumb. It's a young kid who isn't doing his job.

Dennis is fine. He's got all of #3 unless they have some kind of funky 2 RAT players. The reason they you know they don't, is Kamara never settles in the under middle hole.

Kamara is lost in the sauce on this one.
You may be right. Kamara may have blown it. But he never took his eyes off the QB nor even looked at the RB. He flowed with QB, too. It sure looked he thought he was responsible for the QB.

The more offensive analogy would be the two slovis picks directly into multiple Duke defenders with no pitt wr in the area .
Regardless of the qb and wr reading the coverage difference - slovis can’t make those throws and whatever play call sucks as a result .

Let's play with this analogy.. I'm not talking about Slovis' picks because I can't remember the situation.

However, are you saying it's a QB's fault if he throws an interception and it happened to have a defender in the area? If so, there are different types of QB reads. Some are progression based where you're reading receivers typically in a triangular fashion. On the other hand, in the quick game (1 step gun/3 step under center), you're reading 1 defender.

Where you see INT's where 2 defenders are in 1 area - it's often the result of Robber Coverage. Depending upon who you ask - it's often not the QB's fault. he's making a read on defender while another defender is "robbing" a route the QB isn't accounting for. Troy Polamalu made a living off this concept.

Let's play with this analogy.. I'm not talking about Slovis' picks because I can't remember the situation.

However, are you saying it's a QB's fault if he throws an interception and it happened to have a defender in the area? If so, there are different types of QB reads. Some are progression based where you're reading receivers typically in a triangular fashion. On the other hand, in the quick game (1 step gun/3 step under center), you're reading 1 defender.

Where you see INT's where 2 defenders are in 1 area - it's often the result of Robber Coverage. Depending upon who you ask - it's often not the QB's fault. he's making a read on defender while another defender is "robbing" a route the QB isn't accounting for. Troy Polamalu made a living off this concept.
Must have had 2 robbers and no wr in the area
Because clearly it’s never bad coaching or scheme for a situation
Just bad players recruited

ADVERTISEMENT