ADVERTISEMENT

The Backyard Brawl should be an annual game

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
What a great atmosphere last night! Game Day in attendance, national TV and a great game to add to the Backyard Brawl's history.

It should be the opening game, or the second game of the year every year. Unless you want to make it the season finale like other ACC teams have in a non-conference rivalry: Georgia Tech-Georgia, Louisville-Kentucky, Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida.

It's a guaranteed sellout for both Pitt and WVU every year. Ca-ching. Plus, it's not a long road trip for either the players or fans. It's a no- brainer. It benefits both schools and college football.

Next year will be interesting. I remember that when the series ended, the Pitt brass was in a fit over WVU fan conduct at fb and bb games, especially a Pitt bb coach being injured when struck in the eye by something thrown at him. A pregnant Pitt fan was also assaulted at a fb game around the same time. WVU claimed to have taken steps to clean things up and I haven't heard much from B12 fans regarding WVU so maybe it worked. I saw a ton of crass t-shirts last night but beyond that their fans seemed almost human.

Next year will be interesting. I remember that when the series ended, the Pitt brass was in a fit over WVU fan conduct at fb and bb games, especially a Pitt bb coach being injured when struck in the eye by something thrown at him. A pregnant Pitt fan was also assaulted at a fb game around the same time. WVU claimed to have taken steps to clean things up and I haven't heard much from B12 fans regarding WVU so maybe it worked. I saw a ton of crass t-shirts last night but beyond that their fans seemed almost human.
I don't think many Big All fans travel to Morgantown.

Is it because of distance, or not wanting to associate with their fans? I don't know the answer, but I would guess a lot has to do with distance.

I don't think many Big All fans travel to Morgantown.

Is it because of distance, or not wanting to associate with their fans? I don't know the answer, but I would guess a lot has to do with distance.

Big 12 road trips are extraordinarily difficult and who wants to go to Morgantown? I just looked at flights from Lubbock to Morgantown (the game is in Lubbock this year but just pretend) from October 21-23 and it's about 8-9 hours of travel, 2 stops, and $800-$900. You'd easily spend $3,000 and probably 20+ travel hours on attending that game for just you and another person.

or twice a year. Remember some early season classic wanted us to host them in a non-con Week 0 or 1 game and Rich Rod declined

The Backyard Brawl is fantastic and it just right to have this game again. Outside the stadium it was packed in the lots, the restaurants, boats along the riverwalk, tents on the lawn, just a great experience.

Reactions: Saboteur II
ADVERTISEMENT