ADVERTISEMENT

The Backyard Brawl

It’s only interesting (to me) in the historical context of our country and specifically The Civil War. When you consider that the Union manipulated the break off of West Virginia from Virginia into it’s own State. Yet flash forward 160 years later and no state yearns to be and acts more “Deep South” than West Virginia. To the extent that WPA folks in large modern suburban and solidly “northern” setting can get into their cars and in about 40ish minutes, find themselves essentially back in time in the antebellum Deep South…with the irony being that the state was distinctly created to be a “Northern” state. Add in that Pittsburgh kind of came into its own, for better or worse , acting as the ‘arsenal’ for the Union army during the Civil War (and then on through the wars of the 20 th century). So the history and culture nuance is what most interests me.

These are the games you live for as a player, and theyre the most fun to watch as a fan, the atmosphere is as good as any in the nation and that extends to the field. Everyone knows what is on the line. Love watching these games, and make buying season tickets and going to games against Rhode Island and New Hampshire worth it! We are incredibly lucky to have two great games which will have awesome atmospheres to start off our season at home! H2P!

They're the neighbor that you're ashamed is in your neighborhood as they display their boorish behavior every day. If their fans weren't so infantile and neanderthal and were just real fans who support their team, I'd be OK with it. But since they are who they are, I'd just as soon not have them pollute the stadium with their presence. The only good thing about them being there will be watching them high tail out of the stadium with their tails between their legs after we annihilate them. That will be fun to watch.

It certainly brings some pressure on this game, especially at this point where they as a program are kind of treading water at best. And we think we are stepping it up another level.

Reactions: eerlobe and cbpitt2
Having WVU fans in your stadium is like when your wife's distant cousin, Elroy, shows up for a family function. You didn't directly invite him, but he heard about it through the familial grapevine, and you were guilted into telling him that he is welcome to come.

He shows up with a swath of fleas swarming his bodily radius, and his shirt is stained with the poop-colored juices that have been oozing out of his mouth throughout the day as he smacks his America's Best chewing tobacco against the lips and gums that haven't hosted a toothbrush since Pat White was taking snaps.

You try to enjoy yourself, as your kid is opening his or her birthday presents. But mostly you're just thinking about which professional cleaning service you're going to call the moment Elroy leaves. Your house is a sty right now, and it may never truly be Elroy-free, as his scent is one that will linger for the foreseeable, and foresmellable, future.

That's how I feel when WVU fans are in our stadium. I want to enjoy the game taking place on the field, but I've got to keep my head on a swivel so as to not get any mountain stank on me. And also because, as much as you don't want to see the whiskery family of four shamelessly passing around the SPAM rolls they snuck into the game in Mama Bear's bra (the one that follows a hammock-esque trajectory and runs from her shoulders all the way to down below her fuzz-laden navel), you almost can't look away. You're curious to know how the ones who never evolved past the Homo Neanderthalensis stage live their lives.

All I know is that winning this game for Pitt won't add much at all to our resume. They're a 6-6 team at best if they're lucky. If we can't beat them by 3 TD's minimum, then there's something wrong. I know it's supposed to be a rivalry and I guess anything can happen. These kids on both teams don't even know what the rivalry was. They have no idea.

There is a huge discrepancy level in the caliber of players between the teams, and Pitt's guys are much higher at least on paper. No excuse to not beat their sorry asses unmercifully.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
All I know is that winning this game for Pitt won't add much at all to our resume. They're a 6-6 team at best if they're lucky. If we can't beat them by 3 TD's minimum, then there's something wrong. I know it's supposed to be a rivalry and I guess anything can happen. These kids on both teams don't even know what the rivalry was. They have no idea.

There is a huge discrepancy level in the caliber of players between the teams, and Pitt's guys are much higher at least on paper. No excuse to not beat their sorry asses unmercifully.
13-9.

Anything can happen. Cannot look past them.

It certainly brings some pressure on this game, especially at this point where they as a program are kind of treading water at best. And we think we are stepping it up another level.
Yeah. Frankly couldn’t care less where their program is or is heading, but Pitt is definitely at a crossroads with a great opportunity to take another leap. To get there we need to win games like these and Tennessee right after. It won’t be easy; these are two football-mad universities that nobody things of first, if ever, for academics, And we have to be ready for the smacks in the mouth we’re in for.

Don’t want to hear the BS of “oh, no biggie if we lose these first 2 games, we’re still 0-0 in the conference “. That’s the weakest sauce ever. Fate, or maybe a spate of indifferent revolving door ADs, have put us in this situation and we have to live up to it.

Having WVU fans in your stadium is like when your wife's distant cousin, Elroy, shows up for a family function. You didn't directly invite him, but he heard about it through the familial grapevine, and you were guilted into telling him that he is welcome to come.

He shows up with a swath of fleas swarming his bodily radius, and his shirt is stained with the poop-colored juices that have been oozing out of his mouth throughout the day as he smacks his America's Best chewing tobacco against the lips and gums that haven't hosted a toothbrush since Pat White was taking snaps.

You try to enjoy yourself, as your kid is opening his or her birthday presents. But mostly you're just thinking about which professional cleaning service you're going to call the moment Elroy leaves. Your house is a sty right now, and it may never truly be Elroy-free, as his scent is one that will linger for the foreseeable, and foresmellable, future.

That's how I feel when WVU fans are in our stadium. I want to enjoy the game taking place on the field, but I've got to keep my head on a swivel so as to not get any mountain stank on me. And also because, as much as you don't want to see the whiskery family of four shamelessly passing around the SPAM rolls they snuck into the game in Mama Bear's bra (the one that follows a hammock-esque trajectory and runs from her shoulders all the way to down below her fuzz-laden navel), you almost can't look away. You're curious to know how the ones who never evolved past the Homo Neanderthalensis stage live their lives.
Well done 🤣

It’s only interesting (to me) in the historical context of our country and specifically The Civil War. When you consider that the Union manipulated the break off of West Virginia from Virginia into it’s own State. Yet flash forward 160 years later and no state yearns to be and acts more “Deep South” than West Virginia. To the extent that WPA folks in large modern suburban and solidly “northern” setting can get into their cars and in about 40ish minutes, find themselves essentially back in time in the antebellum Deep South…with the irony being that the state was distinctly created to be a “Northern” state. Add in that Pittsburgh kind of came into its own, for better or worse , acting as the ‘arsenal’ for the Union army during the Civil War (and then on through the wars of the 20 th century). So the history and culture nuance is what most interests me.

No doubt. They take a perverse pride in doing things in the most hickish way that is humanly possible.

Oh, the hors d'oeuvres in your wedding were Little Debby snack cakes on toothpicks? That's cool, I guess.

Ah, so you're a 72-pound dude who is going to wear a camo cut-off to marry a sweat-soaked woman 3x your circumference? Country pride, I suppose.

So you've turned the bed of your pickup truck that hasn't passed inspection since 1992 into a hot tub for the day? That's, uh, kind of neat.

Hmm, I see you've filled a swimming pool with Natty Light and have been marinating in it for a few hours, while sucking both cheap beer, as well as the filth that has washed off your mud-soaked Carhartt overalls, down with the plastic straw you drank a sweet tea from McDonald's with in 2016 and then kept as if it were an actual piece of silverware. Sounds like a glorious blue n' gold time.

As someone who lived and worked in West Virginia. Morgantown is not "antebellum", at all. I think the demarcation line likely starts around Clarksburg and Parkersburg (Rt 50). Now the Eastern Panhandle is something different altogether as it is surrounded by Maryland and Virginia, and definitely is more southern. Down in Coal Country, it is more Kentucky.

Reactions: Finnius
It makes me feel great. They're our only rival that wants to be our rival. It's nasty and fun. Bring it Hoopies!

Reactions: eerlobe
As someone who lived and worked in West Virginia. Morgantown is not "antebellum", at all. I think the demarcation line likely starts around Clarksburg and Parkersburg (Rt 50). Now the Eastern Panhandle is something different altogether as it is surrounded by Maryland and Virginia, and definitely is more southern. Down in Coal Country, it is more Kentucky.
Eh, “antebellum” was just an attempt at a nicer term than “backwards hicks”. But the point was that the abrupt clash between north and south (obviously with some exceptions within each) is almost walking distance away. You’ll hear that football is a metaphor for war, well for one side at least the Brawl is a metaphor for the Civil War, with the humorous irony that WV forgot that it was our side

Being from the eastern part of PA, the WVU game has never had much additional meaning for me. It was one thing when I lived in Pittsburgh and there was some juice locally, but once I left, it's back to just being another game on a personal level. I certainly enjoy seeing more rowdy butts in the seats, so that makes it a bit more fun to watch, for sure.

I have always despised PSU on another level since I grew up and was surrounded by more of their fans. Even down here in NC, I find the local PSU fans to generally be odd people that are still fun to root against.

Last edited:
Being from the eastern part of PA, the WVU game has never had much additional meaning for me. It was one thing when I lived in Pittsburgh and their was some juice locally, but once I left, it's back to just being another game on a personal level. I certainly enjoy seeing more rowdy butts in the seats, so that makes it a bit more fun to watch, for sure.

I have always despised PSU on another level since I grew up and was surrounded by more of their fans. Even down here in NC, I find the local PSU fans to generally be odd people that are still fun to root against.
This kinda sums up how I feel. Obviously I understand the significance of this game and I don't like WVU at all, but for someone growing up in Hershey as a lifelong Pitt fan, my hatred towards the Nitters is a notch above everyone else. There's a sense of arrogance with them, and is that area's sole football team no strong NFL presence in the area. Throw in the fact so much of my high school and friends from home went there with some conforming to the cult, it becomes unbearable at times.

Reactions: FireballZ
Being from the eastern part of PA, the WVU game has never had much additional meaning for me. It was one thing when I lived in Pittsburgh and their was some juice locally, but once I left, it's back to just being another game on a personal level. I certainly enjoy seeing more rowdy butts in the seats, so that makes it a bit more fun to watch, for sure.

I moved from Indiana County, Pa to WV (the first time) in 1981, when Pitt was ranked #1. I had NO idea that WVU fans hated Pitt sooooooo much. To me, it was nothing more than another game in the middle of the schedule every year. Boy, was I in for an eye opening experience moving to Nicholas County. For those who have never been to Nicholas County, WV, the best way I can tell you to get there is to go to BFE, turn left, and it's another 50 miles.

I still don't have a hatred for WVU football, and don't put that game anywhere near the importance of PSU as a rival, but I do have a strong dislike for a lot of their fans. Ironically, I have a lot of friends from the 4 places I lived in WV. My two best friends are from there. One of them even went to WVU; so there are some good folks, but the vocal majority of idiots taints them all.

At this point, I'm glad that Pitt doesn't play PSU anymore, but I'm not in favor of a long term series with WVU.

I grew up in Harrisburg in the late 70s early 80s and Pitt/Penn St was it by far. WVU wasnt even a thing until the big east and Penn St joined the Big 10.

It's much more satisfying to beat PissU than the hoopies. Besides the fact that PissU shouldn't even be playing football, it's great to put them in their place and beat them. That was the one great rivalry we had. wvu was a rivalry but only because their fans were so classless and disgusting. Their teams usually sucked or were just easy to root against. But you wanted to make their fans cry since that's all they have....hoopie football. How hopeless is that?

How does our “rivalry” with WVU make you feel? Having WVU in our backyard makes me feel a bit dirty and embarrassed having them as neighbors. Anyone else with me?
No, I absolutely LOVE West Virginia, LOVE the place, the people, I have a whole side of my family that is from there, mostly the Wheeling Area, Most of them hardcore WVU fans, many times we had joint Pitt/WVU tailgate parties at Pitt Stadium and Heinz Field for years. My brother, a Pitt guy, married a WVU girl in Wheeling, I had WV relatives before I knew that family, my grandfathers, both of them spent time working in coal mining in WV early 20th century as Greek immigrants, I 've spent a lot of time hanging out in WV, there's nothing bad I have to say about the place. They're all just regular people JUST LIKE PITT FANS, THE SAME.

I'm from West Virginia and daggone proud of it. The "U.S. 50" line is a good demarcation between "Rust Belt West Virginia" and "Southern West Virginia".

Most of what is now West Virginia voted against secession from Virginia, and sent more troops to grey than blue. Besides as has been noted the "vote" was rigged and most of the ballots cast were by non-Virginia born Union Army members from Indiana and Ohio.

That said my family went to Marshall and I obviously went to Pitt, so let's kill the 'Eers.

I'm from West Virginia and daggone proud of it. The "U.S. 50" line is a good demarcation between "Rust Belt West Virginia" and "Southern West Virginia".

Most of what is now West Virginia voted against secession from Virginia, and sent more troops to grey than blue. Besides as has been noted the "vote" was rigged and most of the ballots cast were by non-Virginia born Union Army members from Indiana and Ohio.

That said my family went to Marshall and I obviously went to Pitt, so let's kill the 'Eers.
I had a friend that went to Marshall, visited down there in the 80s, went to a Herd football game, really enjoyed that weekend.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Until the Sandusky scandal (and the near continuous sexual assault scandals that have occurred there since), I lumped WVU along with PSU (and Notre Dame and Miami) , no hate, just usual sports rivalry junk. But hoo boy, not anymore. In fact my antipathy against WVU has dwindled to casual indifference because at their worst, even throwing crap at Pitt players and the like, can’t compare to what PSU did and still does.

Until the Sandusky scandal (and the near continuous sexual assault scandals that have occurred there since), I lumped WVU along with PSU (and Notre Dame and Miami) , no hate, just usual sports rivalry junk. But hoo boy, not anymore. In fact my antipathy against WVU has dwindled to casual indifference because at their worst, even throwing crap at Pitt players and the like, can’t compare to what PSU did and still does.

wvu is no more than an annoyance.....a little gnat that needs to be swatted away, compared to those braindead child rapists at PissU.

I moved from Indiana County, Pa to WV (the first time) in 1981, when Pitt was ranked #1. I had NO idea that WVU fans hated Pitt sooooooo much. To me, it was nothing more than another game in the middle of the schedule every year. Boy, was I in for an eye opening experience moving to Nicholas County. For those who have never been to Nicholas County, WV, the best way I can tell you to get there is to go to BFE, turn left, and it's another 50 miles.

I still don't have a hatred for WVU football, and don't put that game anywhere near the importance of PSU as a rival, but I do have a strong dislike for a lot of their fans. Ironically, I have a lot of friends from the 4 places I lived in WV. My two best friends are from there. One of them even went to WVU; so there are some good folks, but the vocal majority of idiots taints them all.

At this point, I'm glad that Pitt doesn't play PSU anymore, but I'm not in favor of a long term series with WVU.
I have two former neighbors here in NC that are both WVU grads and become friends. They have since moved around, but you better believe that after the WMU loss, or the Addison transfer, or the recent Narduzzi comments about the MSU game, they are still texting me and talkin absolute nonsense. They are so jealous about last season.

Their hatred runs deep and it drives them absolutely crazy that I don't return it with the same fervor.

I am not sure I have ever read a bigger load of bullshit than this. Your knowledge of history and current understanding of West Virginia, western PA, and the "deep south" is seriously lacking. I will give you a pass since you are a Pitt fan, but for your own well being you should get out of Allegheny county for a weekend. It is perfectly acceptable to call WVU fans hoopies or hillbillies and just leave it at that.

Reactions: Finnius
Psu is meh without paterno for me and wvu game gets better tv ratings. It something unique they have.

West Virginia is a disgusting state and the only real great thing that University does is give out college degrees to the intellectually challenged (although only half of the ****heads who go there are even able to graduate).

Also party. They do that really well, although still not even as good as my alma mater (Wisconsin).

With that said, we can act athletically superior to each other but the reality is neither program is exactly great and consistent success has been hard to come by for a while. This rivalry is extremely beneficial to both programs and always gives us a nationally spotlight that we've lacked playing against the Dukes and GTs (same goes for WV against the Iowa States/K-State's).

Let put it more simply, Pitt vs WVU is not a world beater of a matchup but it's getting College Gameday. A similar level matchup like Pitt vs UNC is absolutely not getting College Gameday.

I am not sure I have ever read a bigger load of bullshit than this. Your knowledge of history and current understanding of West Virginia, western PA, and the "deep south" is seriously lacking. I will give you a pass since you are a Pitt fan, but for your own well being you should get out of Allegheny county for a weekend. It is perfectly acceptable to call WVU fans hoopies or hillbillies and just leave it at that.
Thanks for deigning me, indeed all of us, with your grace. Seriously though…sober up and lay off the meth.

ADVERTISEMENT