ADVERTISEMENT

The Backyard Brawl

This might be the most delusional fan board I’ve ever seen. Thinking that the team will just automatically strike gold again after losing legitimately 65-70% of the offensive production. It took the best offensive season in program history to beat Wake Forest lol. The lines will be good, and will probably lead to a solidly fielded team, but the delusions of grandeur about a team that has LITERALLY nowhere to go but down has been some fascinating reading.
“Delusional“ is going to all the rigmarole needed to get a new account started strictly to troll some anonymous gibrones on an irrelevant message board, knowing by the time the mod comes through looking for (gasp) political posts, he’ll (probably, no guarantee) notice your random all-lower case handle and your grand total of 6 posts of all childish insults, and you’ll be deleted…and then you repeat it all over the next day.

Maybe the government is funding your needs adequately with your welfare check or the disability you claim due to your opioid addiction or whatever… but wouldn’t having some kind of vocation, even if just stocking the shelves at Piggly Wiggly or whatever your grocery store in Possum Hollow is, give you at least some modicum of self respect?

Here's how we see the rivalry. Y'all have never respected the Mountaineers. You look down your nose at us convinced that somehow you are better. You claim not to care about the Brawl, but it's one of the few games that excites your fans. You believe Pitt is the next Alabama, but don't accept the fact Pitt plays in a weak football conference. You don't accept your 2021 season featured a slew of teams who needed to schedule 3 or 4 wins to reach .500.

You think Pitt is going to wallop WVU. Good, believe that... showcase that conceit.. it's the hallmark of the Pitt fan. I hope the Nard-dawg and his players feel the same way.

I'm not going to tell you how good the Mountaineers are in 2022. You would just curl your lip into a sneer and showcase a lowbrow wit by throwing out another tired stereotypical joke.

It's best I save my words for September 2nd.

This might be the most delusional fan board I’ve ever seen. Thinking that the team will just automatically strike gold again after losing legitimately 65-70% of the offensive production. It took the best offensive season in program history to beat Wake Forest lol. The lines will be good, and will probably lead to a solidly fielded team, but the delusions of grandeur about a team that has LITERALLY nowhere to go but down has been some fascinating reading.
Dweeb,

WF would have boat raced wvcc last season......boat raced

It truly is comical. It's like they think Whipple isn't a loss and Cignetti can just step right in and do what he did with a worse QB and WR corps... yeah ok. That 103rd ranked BC total offense was real impressive in '21! I mean it was hard to be worse than a Neal Brown led offense but Cignetti found a way.

Not to mention they actually have expectations this season unlike last year... ask Iowa State how that goes when you start to get all the preseason hype and read about how good you are for 8 straight months. Usually only the teams with elite talent can overcome that. Pitt is good but good lord this hype train is hilarious to read.
Neal friggin downtown Brown! Woo. Our QB beat out your QB.

Here's how we see the rivalry. Y'all have never respected the Mountaineers. You look down your nose at us convinced that somehow you are better. You claim not to care about the Brawl, but it's one of the few games that excites your fans. You believe Pitt is the next Alabama, but don't accept the fact Pitt plays in a weak football conference. You don't accept your 2021 season featured a slew of teams who needed to schedule 3 or 4 wins to reach .500.

You think Pitt is going to wallop WVU. Good, believe that... showcase that conceit.. it's the hallmark of the Pitt fan. I hope the Nard-dawg and his players feel the same way.

I'm not going to tell you how good the Mountaineers are in 2022. You would just curl your lip into a sneer and showcase a lowbrow wit by throwing out another tired stereotypical joke.

Y'all. Take that hillbilly talk elsewhere. And hey, when I am driving through Summersville, don't you dare spit in my fries when I stop for lunch.

Tell the sports writers and coaches that they all got it wrong. WVU should have been voted in the top 10, and Pitt shouldn’t be in the top 50.

It would be different if anyone but WVU fans believed what you are spewing.

It's a shame. I would really like to talk about this game with y'all. But y'all just refuse to believe the Mountaineers might be good this year or that your 2021 season might be partially due to a weak schedule.

I keep reminding people WVU was 6-6 last year, but should have been 8-4 or 9-3. The QB of the 2021 team, Jarett Doege, God bless his heart, transferred to Western Kentucky. Doege entered the portal again yesterday when couldn't win the starting job at Western KY.

Doege limited the Mountaineer offense to a handful of plays he could execute. The opposing defense didn't have to worry about Doege beating them deep or with his legs. 70% of the sacks the Mountaineers gave up last year were a product of Doege either moving into the sack or holding on the ball. The kid had heart, he was tough, but he was a terrible QB.

Dana Holgorsen left the roster gutted, especially at QB and OL. Neal Brown had the choice between two freshman (Greene and Crowder) and Doege. Crowder wasn't physically ready. Greene lacked experience playing QB having recently switched to football from baseball. Garrett is talented, and would have won the QB job except for the fact he couldn't read a defense and rarely ran the play called.

Greene would drop back, if his primary receiver was covered, he would take off. He has great wheels and a burst, but Brown was frustrated. Coaches tend to like QBs who run the play called.

So it was Doege. I know a guy who coaches for an ACC team. He's a native of WV, and a former Mountaineer. He told me the Mountaineers were easy to defend when Doege was the QB. The defense only had to worry about a 15 yard zone from the LoS. They could pack all 11 defenders in that 15 yard zone with confidence.

Doege is gone. JT Daniels is by far and away the starting QB. He's looked like pro in practice. He never misses a read, he never misses a throw, and his deep ball is always dropped in the basket.

Daniels is protected by an offensive line that features two Freshman All-Americans and two other guys with legitimate NFL talent. The problem last year, in addition to Doege, was youth and RT.

The RT tackle position is the only position up for grabs. The battle is between 3 talented kids Brandon Yates (r-so), Ja'Quay Hubbard (r-so), and the kid with the most talent Jordan White (r-fr).

I know y'all think WVU doesn't have anything behind Leddie Brown and Brown is gone. That's not true. Brown was the only healthy back for most of the season last year. Tony Mathis Jr. is the starter. Two of the kids behind him might have more talent.

I know y'all think the Mountaineers lost most of their receivers. They lost the guys who were problems in the locker room. The guys who openly created discontent over QB1. The receivers who stayed are the ones Brown wanted to stay. Bryce Wheaton, Sam James and Kaden Prather. Joining those guys are Cortez Braham, Jarel Williams, and Jeremiah Aaron. Prather is the best of them, but Braham is a freak with size and speed.

Daniels, as expected, has elevated the play of the wide receivers. It's amazing how much easier it is to play receiver when the QB can hit you in stride and put the ball in your hands.

Y'all shouldn't worry about the Mountaineer defense either. The Mountaineer defensive line features All American Dante Stills and goes 10 deep. That's 10 defensive linemen WVU is going to rotate throughout the game. That includes the freshman freak Asani Redwood who is thought to be the second coming of Bruce Irvin.

Lee Kpogba is a game changer at LB.

Last season the Mountaineers had the worst secondary in the Big 12, but they also had the best cover cornerback Charles Woods. Woods is back. Everyone else is gone. The rebuilt secondary features a combination of transfers and youngsters. They are all tall and extremely fast. FS Aubrey Burks (so) has the cover skills of a shutdown corner.

Y'all are expecting a 6-6 team. What you are getting is the team that was a FBS caliber QB away from being 9-3 while playing one of the toughest schedules in college football.

In 2022 the Mountaineers have a NFL caliber QB. The most talented QB to play at WVU. Let me repeat that... Daniels is the best QB to play for WVU.... better than Pat White, Will Grier, Geno smith. Marc Bulger, Major Harris, Hoss, etc.

That upgrade alone is worth +3 games.

But Neal Brown had a secret weapon. Ken Kendricks (owner of the Diamondbacks) and Oliver Luck setup the Country Roads Trust to provide WVU with the means to be competitive with NIL. Brown used the Country Roads Trust to to patch every hole they had in 2021. Brown didn't just patch the holes, he upgraded.

Fall camp has proven Brown spent the Trust's money wisely.

What Pitt is facing on September 1, 2022, is a team that expects to play in Dallas for the Big 12 championship.

As for the Brawl, it's been circled on the calendar all offseason. It's not just another game. It's the game the Mountaineers use to prove to the nation the program is a playoff contender.

So go ahead, make your jokes. Feel as confident as 2021 allows you to feel. You don't have much time left to crow.

It's a shame. I would really like to talk about this game with y'all. But y'all just refuse to believe the Mountaineers might be good this year or that your 2021 season might be partially due to a weak schedule.

I keep reminding people WVU was 6-6 last year, but should have been 8-4 or 9-3. The QB of the 2021 team, Jarett Doege, God bless his heart, transferred to Western Kentucky. Doege entered the portal again yesterday when couldn't win the starting job at Western KY.

Doege limited the Mountaineer offense to a handful of plays he could execute. The opposing defense didn't have to worry about Doege beating them deep or with his legs. 70% of the sacks the Mountaineers gave up last year were a product of Doege either moving into the sack or holding on the ball. The kid had heart, he was tough, but he was a terrible QB.

Dana Holgorsen left the roster gutted, especially at QB and OL. Neal Brown had the choice between two freshman (Greene and Crowder) and Doege. Crowder wasn't physically ready. Greene lacked experience playing QB having recently switched to football from baseball. Garrett is talented, and would have won the QB job except for the fact he couldn't read a defense and rarely ran the play called.

Greene would drop back, if his primary receiver was covered, he would take off. He has great wheels and a burst, but Brown was frustrated. Coaches tend to like QBs who run the play called.

So it was Doege. I know a guy who coaches for an ACC team. He's a native of WV, and a former Mountaineer. He told me the Mountaineers were easy to defend when Doege was the QB. The defense only had to worry about a 15 yard zone from the LoS. They could pack all 11 defenders in that 15 yard zone with confidence.

Doege is gone. JT Daniels is by far and away the starting QB. He's looked like pro in practice. He never misses a read, he never misses a throw, and his deep ball is always dropped in the basket.

Daniels is protected by an offensive line that features two Freshman All-Americans and two other guys with legitimate NFL talent. The problem last year, in addition to Doege, was youth and RT.

The RT tackle position is the only position up for grabs. The battle is between 3 talented kids Brandon Yates (r-so), Ja'Quay Hubbard (r-so), and the kid with the most talent Jordan White (r-fr).

I know y'all think WVU doesn't have anything behind Leddie Brown and Brown is gone. That's not true. Brown was the only healthy back for most of the season last year. Tony Mathis Jr. is the starter. Two of the kids behind him might have more talent.

I know y'all think the Mountaineers lost most of their receivers. They lost the guys who were problems in the locker room. The guys who openly created discontent over QB1. The receivers who stayed are the ones Brown wanted to stay. Bryce Wheaton, Sam James and Kaden Prather. Joining those guys are Cortez Braham, Jarel Williams, and Jeremiah Aaron. Prather is the best of them, but Braham is a freak with size and speed.

Daniels, as expected, has elevated the play of the wide receivers. It's amazing how much easier it is to play receiver when the QB can hit you in stride and put the ball in your hands.

Y'all shouldn't worry about the Mountaineer defense either. The Mountaineer defensive line features All American Dante Stills and goes 10 deep. That's 10 defensive linemen WVU is going to rotate throughout the game. That includes the freshman freak Asani Redwood who is thought to be the second coming of Bruce Irvin.

Last season the Mountaineers had the worst secondary in the Big 12, but they also had the best cover cornerback Charles Woods. Woods is back. Everyone else is gone. The rebuilt secondary features a combination of transfers and youngsters. They are all tall and extremely fast. FS Aubrey Burks (so) has the cover skills of a shutdown corner.

Y'all are expecting a 6-6 team. What you are getting is the team that was a FBS caliber QB away from being 9-3 while playing one of the toughest schedules in college football.

In 2022 the Mountaineers have a NFL caliber QB. The most talented QB to play at WVU. Let me repeat that... Daniels is the best QB to play for WVU.... better than Pat White, Will Grier, Geno smith. Marc Bulger, Major Harris, Hoss, etc.

But Neal Brown had a secret weapon. Ken Kendricks (owner of the Diamondbacks) and Oliver Luck setup the Country Roads Trust to provide WVU with the means to be competitive with NIL. Brown used the Country Roads Trust to to patch every hole they had in 2021. Brown didn't just patch the holes, he upgraded.

What Pitt is facing on September 1, 2022, is a team that expects to play in Dallas for the Big 12 championship.

As for the Brawl, it's been circled on the calendar all offseason. It's not just another game. It's the game the Mountaineers use to prove to the nation the program is a playoff contender.

So go ahead, make your jokes. Feel as confident as 2021 allows you to feel. You don't have much time left to crow.
Now that is truly as delusional as some of our fans’ rants.

Even if we take your opinion seriously, WVU still has to prove, on the field, all this amazing improvement you predict.

We’re returning more than you, and our guys have actually done it, whereas you’re just assuming all this massive improvement will happen. So, who’s delusional?

Has it occurred to you that our guys may also have improved?

Reactions: singregardless

Glad you have confidence in your team. The problem here is that none of us care and we all come on here to talk about the Pitt side of things. This is a Pitt message board site, so I'm not exactly sure why you're here, but to each his own. Have a good day and H2P

WV has certainly been the better team many times in recent history and was the main reason when we lost those games in the past. We also could certainly lose this upcoming game as well, but it would almost certainly be due to lack of adequate preparation, as well as motivation or spirit. Because this time, Pitt is the better team. But we don’t always have our ducks in a row at the start of the season particularly one that features a new starter at QB and OC, Plus we often suffer from ‘rinky dink” syndrome at least once per season (when we lose to a crappy team due to overconfidence).

Infuriating as it will be to the WV trolls here, our coaches and players here have mostly never been involved in the Pitt-WVU series of the past, and the ‘rivalry’ really isn’t anything to them. Plus they likely are looking ahead to a tough opponent from a legitimate conference that’s occurring the week after. To them, WVU won’t be much more than an anonymous MAC or FCS opponent we usually have to start the season. For newbies like them, on paper at least this is a middling opponent from what is by far the worst P5 conference. Oh, Narduzzi and the coaches will say all the right things to the players, they are aware it’s an old rival, but you have to FEEL it. I’m not even sure WE’RE feeling it so how could we expect them to? I’m not saying I agree with that sentiment, in fact I am in trepidation of it, because it often leads to bad losses for us. It’s just how it is.

I'll keep it simple. A person only has to read a couple of your posts to conclude YOU ARE A MORON.....

And, once we beat your ass on Sept 1 (per usual...in any sport), we WVU fans will move on and leave you fools with the cold realization that Pitt has once again been exposed as a sports fraud.
You always have the option of posting on another board if you’d like. Rumor has it that WVU may even have some out there, though with the amount of you idiots here I am starting to doubt it.

I'll keep it simple. A person only has to read a couple of your posts to conclude YOU ARE A MORON.....

And, once we beat your ass on Sept 1 (per usual...in any sport), we WVU fans will move on and leave you fools with the cold realization that Pitt has once again been exposed as a sports fraud.
I'm convinced that you would be unable to keep it anything but simple.

You always have the option of posting on another board if you’d like. Rumor has it that WVU may even have some out there, though with the amount of you idiots here I am starting to doubt it.
Eh. Let ‘en have their fun, associating with their superiors. It keeps them busy from assaulting pregnant women, for a while anyway

beat it

I bet you got a little stiffie when you posted that, didn’t you? You man, you.

“Go, I say go away, boy, you bother me."

These are the games you live for as a player, and theyre the most fun to watch as a fan, the atmosphere is as good as any in the nation and that extends to the field. Everyone knows what is on the line. Love watching these games, and make buying season tickets and going to games against Rhode Island and New Hampshire worth it! We are incredibly lucky to have two great games which will have awesome atmospheres to start off our season at home! H2P!
I don't think the atmosphere at the Tennessee game will be anything close to that of WVU. Solid OOC opponent, but not really comparable to the Brawl.

Throw in opening night, GameDay, the QB storylines, and a return after a decade hiatus... This might be the toughest ticket ever at Heinz...err...Acrisure Stadium.

So let me sum up this up.

-Everyone who left was garbage, everyone who joined is a stud.
-All of the players from the 57th ranked recruiting class are sleeper blue chips.
-Former Syracuse backup then community college linebacker is winning the Heisman.
-Receiver with Akron as his best other offer after 3 years of JUCO ball is going to win the Biletnikoff.
-All of the new defensive backs are shutdown corners.

Anyway, should be a good game. Lots of big changes for both sides form last year. This could be the season that a Neal Brown WVU team jumps over that daunting 6-win hurdle. Woods and Stills are studs. It's just a shame Pitt isn't playing them in week 3 or 4 after Daniels suffers his traditional season-ending injury.

This is a lot of words for you guys to get boat raced by 30 points with the whole nation watching

Reactions: singregardless
I don't think the atmosphere at the Tennessee game will be anything close to that of WVU. Solid OOC opponent, but not really comparable to the Brawl.

Throw in opening night, GameDay, the QB storylines, and a return after a decade hiatus... This might be the toughest ticket ever at Heinz...err...Acrisure Stadium.
It might not, but it is still a great game against a very solid opponent in a Power 5 conference, with a fan base that will travel for the game. The rivalry aspect obviously isn't there and there aren't the other storylines, but it should still be a game that has a good atmosphere, especially a better atmosphere than other OOC games have

The Tennessee atmosphere will be greatly determined by how Game 1 goes.

WV has certainly been the better team many times in recent history and was the main reason when we lost those games in the past. We also could certainly lose this upcoming game as well, but it would almost certainly be due to lack of adequate preparation, as well as motivation or spirit. Because this time, Pitt is the better team. But we don’t always have our ducks in a row at the start of the season particularly one that features a new starter at QB and OC, Plus we often suffer from ‘rinky dink” syndrome at least once per season (when we lose to a crappy team due to overconfidence).

Infuriating as it will be to the WV trolls here, our coaches and players here have mostly never been involved in the Pitt-WVU series of the past, and the ‘rivalry’ really isn’t anything to them. Plus they likely are looking ahead to a tough opponent from a legitimate conference that’s occurring the week after. To them, WVU won’t be much more than an anonymous MAC or FCS opponent we usually have to start the season. For newbies like them, on paper at least this is a middling opponent from what is by far the worst P5 conference. Oh, Narduzzi and the coaches will say all the right things to the players, they are aware it’s an old rival, but you have to FEEL it. I’m not even sure WE’RE feeling it so how could we expect them to? I’m not saying I agree with that sentiment, in fact I am in trepidation of it, because it often leads to bad losses for us. It’s just how it is.
What a weak post. Making excuses already in the event your squad loses. College Gameday is going to be there and your players won’t be motivated. Right.

Huh. This is why your program is garbage and has been for 40 years. Some of your fans are also Sandusky fans.

If that’s how your players feel, what do you think our players feel? They don’t even know that football exists north of the MDL, except for B1G. You are nothing to them. When they think of ACC they think of UNC/Duke and Clemson, period. However, our guys will be focused due to the spotlight of this game.

Your program has been feeble for 40 years. You shared 2 Big East titles and won the worst conference in the last 3-4 decades. Good job. Next time maybe you’ll beat an underbelly MAC team at home.

Also, maybe this is the year that you average 35k at your games.

Grow some onions and commit to your squad. Unreal. No wonder Pitt doesn’t have fans.

Finally, your post confirms that you care about this game MORE than the average WVU or Pitt fan, period. Anyone who proclaims such a dismissive attitude towards an opponent is clearly thinking about the opponent and wants to beat them very badly.

I read minds for a living, bruh.

Last edited:
How does our “rivalry” with WVU make you feel? Having WVU in our backyard makes me feel a bit dirty and embarrassed having them as neighbors. Anyone else with me?
No WV is a perfectly fine state you sound like a costal elite.

My company is based in SF, and they talk about us the same way you describe WVU fans.

Yea have you been to the homes around Cheat Lake? They are beautiful.
So are some of the coeds running around your campus. It doesn’t make up for the rest of the state.

Come on man! PA could tuck WV is it's shirt pocket and forget it’s there. Greater Pitt has more people than the entire state! Take your crap back to your board!
My original point was that WV and Pittsburgh are view in the same light by people in Coastal cities. We are less than.
I agree WV has less economic prosperity, but they also contribute towards our electric grid in PA.

But in WV you can buy more land with lower taxes, and they do not have the same ridiculous farm subsidies we have. For example milk is not 3 dollars a gallon. So I could argue if you have more capital WV is a better place to live.

My original point was that WV and Pittsburgh are view in the same light by people in Coastal cities. We are less than.
I agree WV has less economic prosperity, but they also contribute towards our electric grid in PA.

But in WV you can buy more land with lower taxes, and they do not have the same ridiculous farm subsidies we have. For example milk is not 3 dollars a gallon. So I could argue if you have more capital WV is a better place to live.
I paid 5.79 this AM. Someone said inflation was at $0 though. Lol.

Bullshit! I lived in Orange County and there is NO ONE who views Pittsburgh as WV.....NO ONE

What a weak post. Making excuses already in the event your squad loses. College Gameday is going to be there and your players won’t be motivated. Right.

Huh. This is why your program is garbage and has been for 40 years. Some of your fans are also Sandusky fans.

If that’s how your players feel, what do you think our players feel? They don’t even know that football exists north of the MDL, except for B1G. You are nothing to them. When they think of ACC they think of UNC/Duke and Clemson, period. However, our guys will be focused due to the spotlight of this game.

Your program has been feeble for 40 years. You shared 2 Big East titles and won the worst conference in the last 3-4 decades. Good job. Next time maybe you’ll beat an underbelly MAC team at home.

Also, maybe this is the year that you average 35k at your games.

Grow some onions and commit to your squad. Unreal. No wonder Pitt doesn’t have fans.

Finally, your post confirms that you care about this game MORE than the average WVU or Pitt fan, period. Anyone who proclaims such a dismissive attitude towards an opponent is clearly thinking about the opponent and wants to beat them very badly.

I read minds for a living, bruh.
I stated it a few days ago and he continues to reinforce it. Old 65er and Sean Miller battle daily to prove which one is the bigger moron.

And, you're right, it's comical to see these guys already cooking-up their best excuses for why their team got it's ass handed to them on Sept 1.

If you think highest quality of life = most McMansion square footage/most acres of grass you can get out of a dollar, sure, West Virginia is going to be better than Allegheny County. But in basically any other quality of life measure, the Pittsburgh area is better: medical facilities, k-12 schools, universities, transit, diversity of job opportunities, museums, restaurants, grocery stores, markets, shopping on main streets, etc.

I like West Virginia by the way; it's a beautiful state and I've met great people from there. I used to work with a ton of WV river rats. But it's laughable to think really any corner of the state has a a higher quality of life than Pittsburgh unless all that matters to you is it'll be a little cheaper to have an extra bathroom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT