ADVERTISEMENT

The Backyard Brawl

Here's how we see the rivalry. Y'all have never respected the Mountaineers. You look down your nose at us convinced that somehow you are better. You claim not to care about the Brawl, but it's one of the few games that excites your fans. You believe Pitt is the next Alabama, but don't accept the fact Pitt plays in a weak football conference. You don't accept your 2021 season featured a slew of teams who needed to schedule 3 or 4 wins to reach .500.

You think Pitt is going to wallop WVU. Good, believe that... showcase that conceit.. it's the hallmark of the Pitt fan. I hope the Nard-dawg and his players feel the same way.

I'm not going to tell you how good the Mountaineers are in 2022. You would just curl your lip into a sneer and showcase a lowbrow wit by throwing out another tired stereotypical joke.

It's best I save my words for September 2nd.

Why are you delusional wv fans suddenly thinking that your pathetic team will all of a sudden win games this year when last year you were mediocre at best and pretty pathetic? If Pitt doesn't beat your sorry asses by at least 14, it will be a disappointing win for Pitt, because you're just not a very good team. On our schedule, I'd say you're probably the 5th or 6th best team we'll play, that's all. And your head coach is pathetic.

Yes, it's a rivalry game and anything can happen. Yes, let's see what you have to say on 9/2. I doubt I'll be around for that as I'm planning a nice beach vacation for that week and won't give a rat's ass what you think about the game. Being on a nice, uncrowded beach with my wife is far better than having to put up with the few neanderthal fans you guys will bring to our stadium. It would be good to hear your silence as the game goes on.

Now run on back to your wasteland of a board and quit bothering people with your nonsense. Do you see me coming on your board and bothering you? Get lost!

What a weak post. Making excuses already in the event your squad loses. College Gameday is going to be there and your players won’t be motivated. Right.

Huh. This is why your program is garbage and has been for 40 years. Some of your fans are also Sandusky fans.

If that’s how your players feel, what do you think our players feel? They don’t even know that football exists north of the MDL, except for B1G. You are nothing to them. When they think of ACC they think of UNC/Duke and Clemson, period. However, our guys will be focused due to the spotlight of this game.

Your program has been feeble for 40 years. You shared 2 Big East titles and won the worst conference in the last 3-4 decades. Good job. Next time maybe you’ll beat an underbelly MAC team at home.

Also, maybe this is the year that you average 35k at your games.

Grow some onions and commit to your squad. Unreal. No wonder Pitt doesn’t have fans.

Finally, your post confirms that you care about this game MORE than the average WVU or Pitt fan, period. Anyone who proclaims such a dismissive attitude towards an opponent is clearly thinking about the opponent and wants to beat them very badly.

I read minds for a living, bruh.

Like I think I said to you before, you need to get a life! I'll excuse the lies and garbage that you post because you're a .....you know...hoopie and you don't know any better. But your constant posting on our board is beyond dumb. That goes for your other idiot friends who are showing up here. Take it somewhere else. Your lies and garbage will play well on the hoopie board.

Sheesh, just like with election campaigns, this trash talk needs to be limited to a two week period before the event. Yeah, yeah we are horseflop, last season didn’t even happen, Tulsa and Houston will TOTALLY make up for losing Texas and OK, you own the eastern seaboard, blah blah… we know, we saw it in the first 5000 posts in the last three months (which I can’t even truly put on ignore because the rest of you fools take the bait and keep relying directly to them).

People in Anaheim, HB, etc. have no idea where Pittsburgh or WV are. Both may as well be in Denmark.

GTFOH that there is an opinion about either place from SoCal people.
I go to SF regularly for work and the opinion of the Midwest is low from people there.

Last edited:
It's a shame. I would really like to talk about this game with y'all. But y'all just refuse to believe the Mountaineers might be good this year or that your 2021 season might be partially due to a weak schedule.

I keep reminding people WVU was 6-6 last year, but should have been 8-4 or 9-3. The QB of the 2021 team, Jarett Doege, God bless his heart, transferred to Western Kentucky. Doege entered the portal again yesterday when couldn't win the starting job at Western KY.

Doege limited the Mountaineer offense to a handful of plays he could execute. The opposing defense didn't have to worry about Doege beating them deep or with his legs. 70% of the sacks the Mountaineers gave up last year were a product of Doege either moving into the sack or holding on the ball. The kid had heart, he was tough, but he was a terrible QB.

Dana Holgorsen left the roster gutted, especially at QB and OL. Neal Brown had the choice between two freshman (Greene and Crowder) and Doege. Crowder wasn't physically ready. Greene lacked experience playing QB having recently switched to football from baseball. Garrett is talented, and would have won the QB job except for the fact he couldn't read a defense and rarely ran the play called.

Greene would drop back, if his primary receiver was covered, he would take off. He has great wheels and a burst, but Brown was frustrated. Coaches tend to like QBs who run the play called.

So it was Doege. I know a guy who coaches for an ACC team. He's a native of WV, and a former Mountaineer. He told me the Mountaineers were easy to defend when Doege was the QB. The defense only had to worry about a 15 yard zone from the LoS. They could pack all 11 defenders in that 15 yard zone with confidence.

Doege is gone. JT Daniels is by far and away the starting QB. He's looked like pro in practice. He never misses a read, he never misses a throw, and his deep ball is always dropped in the basket.

Daniels is protected by an offensive line that features two Freshman All-Americans and two other guys with legitimate NFL talent. The problem last year, in addition to Doege, was youth and RT.

The RT tackle position is the only position up for grabs. The battle is between 3 talented kids Brandon Yates (r-so), Ja'Quay Hubbard (r-so), and the kid with the most talent Jordan White (r-fr).

I know y'all think WVU doesn't have anything behind Leddie Brown and Brown is gone. That's not true. Brown was the only healthy back for most of the season last year. Tony Mathis Jr. is the starter. Two of the kids behind him might have more talent.

I know y'all think the Mountaineers lost most of their receivers. They lost the guys who were problems in the locker room. The guys who openly created discontent over QB1. The receivers who stayed are the ones Brown wanted to stay. Bryce Wheaton, Sam James and Kaden Prather. Joining those guys are Cortez Braham, Jarel Williams, and Jeremiah Aaron. Prather is the best of them, but Braham is a freak with size and speed.

Daniels, as expected, has elevated the play of the wide receivers. It's amazing how much easier it is to play receiver when the QB can hit you in stride and put the ball in your hands.

Y'all shouldn't worry about the Mountaineer defense either. The Mountaineer defensive line features All American Dante Stills and goes 10 deep. That's 10 defensive linemen WVU is going to rotate throughout the game. That includes the freshman freak Asani Redwood who is thought to be the second coming of Bruce Irvin.

Lee Kpogba is a game changer at LB.

Last season the Mountaineers had the worst secondary in the Big 12, but they also had the best cover cornerback Charles Woods. Woods is back. Everyone else is gone. The rebuilt secondary features a combination of transfers and youngsters. They are all tall and extremely fast. FS Aubrey Burks (so) has the cover skills of a shutdown corner.

Y'all are expecting a 6-6 team. What you are getting is the team that was a FBS caliber QB away from being 9-3 while playing one of the toughest schedules in college football.

In 2022 the Mountaineers have a NFL caliber QB. The most talented QB to play at WVU. Let me repeat that... Daniels is the best QB to play for WVU.... better than Pat White, Will Grier, Geno smith. Marc Bulger, Major Harris, Hoss, etc.

That upgrade alone is worth +3 games.

But Neal Brown had a secret weapon. Ken Kendricks (owner of the Diamondbacks) and Oliver Luck setup the Country Roads Trust to provide WVU with the means to be competitive with NIL. Brown used the Country Roads Trust to to patch every hole they had in 2021. Brown didn't just patch the holes, he upgraded.

Fall camp has proven Brown spent the Trust's money wisely.

What Pitt is facing on September 1, 2022, is a team that expects to play in Dallas for the Big 12 championship.

As for the Brawl, it's been circled on the calendar all offseason. It's not just another game. It's the game the Mountaineers use to prove to the nation the program is a playoff contender.

So go ahead, make your jokes. Feel as confident as 2021 allows you to feel. You don't have much time left to crow.

Please get this to E.J. Borghetti. I look forward to September 1st. While I never take any opponent lightly I will close by saying: As a long time Pitt fan, this is the most athleticism Pitt will trot out on the field since Jackie Sherrill was Pitt's coach. IF WVU wins this game you'll have a hell of a season.

Reactions: pittmeister
One thing the thread reminds me is that Holgorsen gets an unfair rap from WVU fans. They won more games in the Big 12 than they had any business winning but people couldn't see that because the Big East had gotten weak and they got spoiled. Of course the Big "12" will be getting easier soon, so I suppose that took care of itself in a backwards sort of way.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Like with election campaigns, this trash talk needs to be limited to a two week period before the event. Yeah, yeah we are horseflop, last season didn’t even happen, Tulsa and Houston will TOTALLY make up for losing Texas and OK, you own the eastern seaboard, blah blah… we know, we saw it in the first 5000 posts in the last three months (which I can’t even truly put on ignore because the rest of you fools take the bait and keep relying directly to them).
TULSA???

o_O

One thing the thread reminds me is that Holgorsen gets an unfair rap from WVU fans. They won more games in the Big 12 than they had any business winning but people couldn't see that because the Big East had gotten weak and they got spoiled. Of course the Big "12" will be getting easier soon, so I suppose that took care of itself in a backwards sort of way.
What gets me is how many people, outside the Big 12, think it's going to get so much "easier." It's bullcrap. The conference will be losing THE one big fish that was difficult to bring down in OU but Texas was and is no world beater and as far as competitiveness, I'd put BYU and Houston and at least Cincy in their current state on par as tough games to win. UT was not that tough an out. So how much easier is that conference really going to get? It's a myth that keeps getting repeated.

What gets me is how many people, outside the Big 12, think it's going to get so much "easier." It's bullcrap. The conference will be losing THE one big fish that was difficult to bring down in OU but Texas was and is no world beater and as far as competitiveness, I'd put BYU and Houston and at least Cincy in their current state on par as tough games to win. UT was not that tough an out. So how much easier is that conference really going to get? It's a myth that keeps getting repeated.

If all those programs play to their historical "expectations" then Oklahoma and Texas are so far ahead of BYU, Houston and Cincinnati that the latter three wouldn't be able to see them with binoculars.

Of course for Texas to do that they'd have to stop screwing things up on a regular basis, and I think we are at the point where I will need to see that to believe that.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I am really looking forward to Sept. 1 and the brawl. Playing WVU in the opener just makes it a bit more special.

Many people say that Pitt's first 2 games are too tough. I disagree. We want to play at least 10 P5 teams anyway.

I look at this as an opportunity. Take care of business, and Pitt end up in a good position in the polls for the rest of the season. Don't take care of business, and I guess we just have to adjust our expectations.

I am really looking forward to Sept. 1 and the brawl. Playing WVU in the opener just makes it a bit more special.

Many people say that Pitt's first 2 games are too tough. I disagree. We want to play at least 10 P5 teams anyway.

I look at this as an opportunity. Take care of business, and Pitt end up in a good position in the polls for the rest of the season. Don't take care of business, and I guess we just have to adjust our expectations.

Beating wvu won't add too much to our resume. Beating UT will. And losing to wvu could take us down more than we want since that means we would be losing to a piss poor opponent. The downside of losing to wvu is more than the upside.

Oklahoma won all 9 head to head against you guys in this series. Texas was more even, which is to Holgy's credit (and to Texas seeming to struggle to find a coach or QB). I'm sorry, there is no way the replacements over the long haul will be as good.

And even so, Oklahoma really struggled in the playoffs, the Big 12 will not have a team like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, or Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT