ADVERTISEMENT

The best QB in Pittsburgh...

Love Kenny. Just don’t see him being the next Patrick Mahommes. Hope I’m wrong.

Call me crazy, , but I think Kenny will be a journeyman backup. Love the kid and hope he does well. But I don’t think he will be a program changer.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Call me crazy, , but I think Kenny will be a journeyman backup. Love the kid and hope he does well. But I don’t think he will be a program changer.
Most 2nd road picks are not program changers! There will be mock drafts out later this week. Let's see where KP is at? He has , at this point, gambled and won by coming back!

Reactions: Celtsfan
There were mock drafts out last week, and none of them that I saw had Kenny P in them.
Let's just hold the phone . Only 4 games in this season . we finish .500 or better his stock will go up . IMO . A lot has to do with the O line in front of him . They win the div. All bets are off .

I agree, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. There's just so few QBs who are able to become good in the NFL.

He's in position to put up 3k+ yards and 30+ TDs. He does that and he's a round 3-5 guy. People like to bag on Whipple, but learning under him will be seen as a positive in NFL circles and help his draft stock.

I think he'll have a better pro career than Peterman has so far. But it's such a crapshoot. I remember all the pre draft hype over Peterman or even Savage. I'm assuming the same with happen with Pickett but I don't see him being a top NFL QB. I hope I'm wrong though.

As for when we had the best QB in town, I'm thinking it was probably Van Pelt. Priestly/Turman and Rod may have been close. KP better than Ben, I think.

Let's just hold the phone . Only 4 games in this season . we finish .500 or better his stock will go up . IMO . A lot has to do with the O line in front of him . They win the div. All bets are off .

Whether we finish .500 or not or win the division or not will have almost nothing at all to do with where he gets drafted. NFL teams don't draft guys because their college team was good, and they don't not draft guys because their college team was bad. If they think a guy can play and can help them win they'll draft him no matter what. If they don't think a guy can play they aren't going to draft him no matter what.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I don’t know if Pickett will end up being a first round pick, but I’d say he has a good chance to climb some draft boards with how (relatively) weak this QB class is. No one has really stood out from the pack so far; I liked Phil Jurkovec but who knows what that injury does to him and his stock.

I don’t know if Pickett will end up being a first round pick, but I’d say he has a good chance to climb some draft boards with how (relatively) weak this QB class is. No one has really stood out from the pack so far; I liked Phil Jurkovec but who knows what that injury does to him and his stock.
I would rate Pickett above Jurkovec, not by a lot though. Neither of them are in the top tier of draft eligible QB’s right now, but it’s early in the season.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I would rate Pickett above Jurkovec, not by a lot though. Neither of them are in the top tier of draft eligible QB’s right now, but it’s early in the season.
I don’t think you’re wrong, especially with how Pickett’s stock is trending while Jurkovec will be sidelined the rest of the season. There’s some interesting talents out there, though. Nevada’s Carson Strong and Liberty’s Malik Willis have huge cannons to go with their athleticism. Will be fun to see how it all plays out.

I don’t think you’re wrong, especially with how Pickett’s stock is trending while Jurkovec will be sidelined the rest of the season. There’s some interesting talents out there, though. Nevada’s Carson Strong and Liberty’s Malik Willis have huge cannons to go with their athleticism. Will be fun to see how it all plays out.
I don’t dislike Willis, just dont see him quite the way some do. Strong is going to go high, he’s will probably be a Trey Lance type guy that keeps rising and rising by the end of the season.

We will learn a lot about Pickett this week as he will be playing against the best secondary yet this season (GT).

Pickett and Pitt have a long way to go before this type of talk begins.

I think you can qualify it by saying “right now”. Kenny makes plays and throws that Ben can’t anymore. Rolling out, 55 yards on a dime, etc

Does that mean u suit KP up on Sundays and he looks the same? Of course not.

But in terms of what plays he is capable of at this point in their careers, it’s KP. I’d extend that to the whole state of PA at any level.

Marino, right? Was congemi better then Malone or woodley? Are we taking Priestley over Kent graham?? Look at 2002 and 2003 pre Ben. That might be a long shot but Rod over those guys.

Actuelly an interesting question.
I don't think Rod over Maddox. He may have had an insurance agent body, but he had an NFL arm. Even Kordell I think was better than Rod. On another note, back around 2010, I saw Rod playing for a team from Erie when I went to an arena football game in Baltimore.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
I don't think Rod over Maddox. He may have had an insurance agent body, but he had an NFL arm. Even Kordell I think was better than Rod. On another note, back around 2010, I saw Rod playing for a team from Erie when I went to an arena football game in Baltimore.
I caught a ball from Rod when he was playing for the Erie arena team!

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I liked Maddox too. I Actuelly named my last cat after him, don’t ask. I was thinking Kent Graham.

I think he'll have a better pro career than Peterman has so far. But it's such a crapshoot. I remember all the pre draft hype over Peterman or even Savage. I'm assuming the same with happen with Pickett but I don't see him being a top NFL QB. I hope I'm wrong though.

As for when we had the best QB in town, I'm thinking it was probably Van Pelt. Priestly/Turman and Rod may have been close. KP better than Ben, I think.

Part of the issue is that there are a lot of QBs that could develop into good players if they had a lot of talent around them. Guys like Tom Savage and possibly Kenny P have potential if they land on a team that has the talent and coaching smarts to build around them in the correct way. Sort of like the Bengals did with Andy Dalton (who had borderline HOF WR AJ Green and built a good line and great defense). But most QBs going on day 1 or 2 go to bad teams with bad coaching so they never survive long enough to hit that sweet spot.

Even really good college QBs, some of the best ever - look at Tua and Trevor Lawrence - can really struggle without good coaching. Pro success is so much more of a crap shoot than many care to admit.

I liked Maddox too. I Actuelly named my last cat after him, don’t ask. I was thinking Kent Graham.
I think of Maddox as a wake up call to Cowher! Like "WAKE UP, we need a serious, NFL caliber passer!" after like 9 years of trying to win with running the ball, defense, Tomczak, Kent Graham and Kordell, so then Dan Rooney said, draft Ben and not a DB or OT, the rest is history. When Maddox took over for Kordell, for like 5-6 games he was passing the ball LIGHTS OUT, and it felt like WOW! Are the Steelers allowed to play like this?

If I'm the Steelers, I think I'd be taking a look at Mitch Trubisky. He looked decent last year and you've got to wonder how much of his performance was his fault considering that the Bears QB situation continues to be a dumpster fire. Nagy is a terrible coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT