ADVERTISEMENT

THE big VB weekend

When it was 14-11, Louisville overpassed the dig and Pitt had a free ball on match point to smash without Louisville being set in defense. Missed it. I thought that was an omen that we would lose. But, we got the next point, setting for Buzzerio. She was the difference in the fifth set.

I didn’t understand Vasquez-Gomez sitting most of the third and fourth sets. In the first two sets, we were out blocking them. We had three big hitters up front in her, Gray and Buzzerio. They couldn’t block all 3 and Fairbanks consistently found the unblocked one. In parts of the third set, he alternately also rested Gray and Buzzerio so we only had one real hitter up front. Dalton was terrible.

I understand resting players. But we had a chance to sweep and let it get away because they had (I think) 8 blocks in the second half of the third set. Sweep them and you don’t need rested players for Set 5.

That and playing Dalton way too much are the only things I can fault him for. I didn’t notice Louisville making any big adjustments.

Reactions: Chaos
Their (UL) only loss was to Ohio St whom we beat 3-0 and they were ranked #5 at the time. I think we are under ranked but not now I hope!!

Hard to say. #1 and #2 lost but I am pretty sure the rest of the top 10 won.

We might move up a spot or two, but no more than that. My guess is that Texas is probably going to still be number one. Louisville isn't going to drop more than a spot or two. They've beaten four and seven and lost to six and eight. I think our ceiling is number six, with them moving us ahead of the Ohio State team that we beat earlier this season.

Texas
Nebraska
Louisville
San Diego
Wisconsin
Pitt
Ohio State
Stanford
Minnesota
Georgia Tech

I don’t know who number 8 is, but damn she just blasts the ball.

That place feels like the good old days of Big East basketball. The electricity and excitement. Volleyball is such an exciting sport and I know zero about it. The action is insane and the ability to do what these girls do is insane.
Can our volleyball staff coach football?

When it was 14-11, Louisville overpassed the dig and Pitt had a free ball on match point to smash without Louisville being set in defense. Missed it. I thought that was an omen that we would lose. But, we got the next point, setting for Buzzerio. She was the difference in the fifth set.

I didn’t understand Vasquez-Gomez sitting most of the third and fourth sets. In the first two sets, we were out blocking them. We had three big hitters up front in her, Gray and Buzzerio. They couldn’t block all 3 and Fairbanks consistently found the unblocked one. In parts of the third set, he alternately also rested Gray and Buzzerio so we only had one real hitter up front. Dalton was terrible.

I understand resting players. But we had a chance to sweep and let it get away because they had (I think) 8 blocks in the second half of the third set. Sweep them and you don’t need rested players for Set 5.

That and playing Dalton way too much are the only things I can fault him for. I didn’t notice Louisville making any big adjustments.
Dalton had 12 digs ( 2nd on the team behind Browskie’s 13) - 5 blocks. She’s a very good defensive player .

Reactions: ThePanthers
This was a very important win for the panthers. Not just because it was the number 2 team. This is the first game they were able to gut out a victory. It says a lot about the teams improving mental toughness. I don't know where they will be ranked. I agree they have been under ranked for a while. I care more about the D1 committees rankings.

Dalton had 12 digs ( 2nd on the team behind Browskie’s 13) - 5 blocks. She’s a very good defensive player .
She has been good playing in the back row and occasionally hitting from there. She has not been good hitting from either side in the front row.

She has been good playing in the back row and occasionally hitting from there. She has not been good hitting from either side in the front row.
It is an interesting situation because I think Fish likes her height at the net for blocking and defense, but her offense has been bad. Then she rotates back and she has been a plus defender. It is a position where Pitt lacks depth. I think Ennis is the 3rd OH, but she is much shorter and (to my eyes) more of a defensive player than offensive, which is what we already have in Dalton. When Fish has played Ennis at OH, it has actually been mostly as a defensive replacement when VVG is struggling or tired.

I really don't have an issue with her continuing to play all six rotations, and she's only a sophomore, I just think the setters need to stop giving her so many attempts. I think she actually might be more effective hitting out of the back row than she is in the front.

I agree. She hits pretty well from the back row. And she digs well from there too. Her hitting from the back row gives our offense a dimension that has been lacking. From the front row, she gets blocked a lot and when she doesn’t she appears so concerned about being blocked that she misses the court trying to be too fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT