ADVERTISEMENT

The Decline of Women’s Soccer

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
With all of the good news about volleyball and men’s soccer this Fall, it would be easy to overlook the major decline in the women’s program this year. The 7-1 trouncing by FSU was the culmination of a very disappointing year.

The big difference between this year’s team and last year’s team, which made a deep run in the NCAA tournament before losing to eventual national champion FSU, was at forward. They lost Amanda West and two of the other leading goal scorers from last season and simply had no replacements for them. None of the freshman forwards showed any real talent.

Realistically, if Randy was paying attention to his roster, he should have recruited the future replacements for West, et al., two seasons ago. But other than Abiodun, I didn’t see a talented freshman or sophomore on the pitch all season.

Female soccer players tend to commit early, so it is not going to be easy to fix what is wrong without hitting the transfer portal hard. That is something he hasn’t done in the past. But, it is happening a lot in the sport.

To compound the problem, the best 4 players on the team other than Abiodun — Schupansky, Coffield, Phiri and Melenhorst — all appear to be out of eligibility.

I think a major rebuild is going to be required, including the transfer portal and foreign recruiting, or this program will take another big step back next year. It took so long for them to escape being an ACC doormat and I know we don’t want to see that happen again.

I don’t know. Not everything is linear and it’s difficult to build a top tier program out of nothing. Weve been fortunate with volleyball, but the men’s soccer team took a step back last year.

As long as waldrum is here I don’t think Pitt will be a basement dweller and will probably float between 5-10 in the standings in the acc. It’s a tough ass conference. The team was still 9-5-3 with the blowout fsu loss being a major stain.

There is definitely work to do, specifically what you called out, but I also don’t think this is some sign that the bottom is falling out. Again things aren’t always linear, especially when you are building something from the ground up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT