ADVERTISEMENT

The most random Pitt tidbit you'll hear all month

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I am stealing this from the Olympic Sports board because that's where I saw this and I dont think most of you go over there.

Pitt has a quartefinalist in the US Women's Open (tennis). Like me, you may have forgot Pitt had a tennis team. In fact, didnt we eliminate it? So its surprising to hear we have an alum who is this good. However, what is way more surprising is that her dad is Buffalo Bills/Sabres owner and Penn State Athletics megadonor, Terry Pegula. What???

I knew that PSU megadonor's daughter was a pro tennis player -- I had no idea that she played collegiate tennis at Pitt.

I heard he is basically singlehandedly responsible for creating the PSU hockey program. I wish him (or his daughter) would fund a hockey program for Pitt.

Then she is one of us. Lets get her (and Daddy's wallet) at Acrisure!
I don’t know, that other thread is saying she didn’t play for Pitt. And her wiki also says she turned pro in 2009 (when she was 15), so I have my doubts.

So why would she come to Pitt?.........Easy, she wanted a quality education instead of the well known diploma factory certificate of attendance....

Is there no rules against NFL owners being NIL donors for football? Seems like paying potential future would be a conflict of interests.

Seems fair to me. Pitt alum who have kids good at football send them to PSU. PSU alum who have kids good at tennis send them to Pitt.

Fair trade.

Reactions: Parkview57
Is there no rules against NFL owners being NIL donors for football? Seems like paying potential future would be a conflict of interests.
All we know is that he paid for the hockey programs and funded football coaching salaries. I believe he was mentioned when they ponied up some money to get BoB to stay. I think the NFL would have some rules about NIL and football players. Jerry Jones has been a pretty active donor to Arkansas' football program.

Jessica Pegula never played tennis at Pitt. Pitt never won the Big East Conference nor had a women's tennis player of the year. I don't even think she attended Pitt.

A Laura Pegula, who was listed from Wesford/North Allegheny on Pitt's roster, did play at Pitt form 2001-04. I have no idea if she is actually a sister.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Parkview57
Jessica Pegula never played tennis at Pitt. Pitt never won the Big East Conference nor had a women's tennis player of the year. I don't even think she attended Pitt.

I would guess she did attend Pitt with her sister being there but probably didnt spend much time on Oakland as she was already a pro. We need to get our best people on this and fast.

Looks like her wikipedia page has been edited to remove the references to playing tennis at Pitt and being Big East player of the year.

A Laura Pegula, who was listed from Wesford/North Allegheny on Pitt's roster, did play at Pitt form 2001-04. I have no idea if she is actually a sister.
Laura Pegula is Jessica’s sister. I believe Laura’s the eldest child, and actually has been the Pegula family representative to the NFL and NHL annual meetings in recent years given Pegula’s wife’s health issues, leading to some speculation that she may be emerging as the heir apparent to ultimately own the teams down the road.

Why the heck does this thread mention her dad has anything to do with psu?

Why not just say Pitt has an amazing female tennis player.

That makes it confusing.

Laura Pegula is Jessica’s sister. I believe Laura’s the eldest child, and actually has been the Pegula family representative to the NFL and NHL annual meetings in recent years given Pegula’s wife’s health issues, leading to some speculation that she may be emerging as the heir apparent to ultimately own the teams down the road.

Yep, that is definitely her. And she is now involved with both the Bills and Sabers, and a small percentage owner of the Bills.

"The 41-year-old is Terry’s daughter from his first marriage, has been involved in her father’s oil business and recently has been more visible in events such as the recent NFL owner’s meetings in Orlando, FL. According to the report, Laura is now serving as an alternate governor for the Sabres, has represented the club at recent NHL meetings and appeared at her father's side at the press conference late last month announcing the hiring of head coach Lindy Ruff."
usatsi_21603967_168402779_lowres.webp

From her time at Pitt (2003-2004 Pitt Media Guide):
2610.jpg

Laura Pegula
transfer from Eastern Michigan.
She enters her senior season with a 33-17 record. Competed and won a round in ITA tournament.

JUNIOR (2003):Finished the season with a 15-11 singles record and 16-12 doubles record. Lead the team in doubles victories.
SOPHOMORE (2002): First season as a Pittsburgh Panther after transferring from Eastern Michigan. Finished with an 18-6 singles record and 11-11 doubles record. Named Pittsburgh's Most Valuable Player at the end of the 2001-2002 season.
HIGH SCHOOL: A 2000 graduate of North Allegheny High School...competed for three seasons...finished in the top five in the
state as a senior...also finished in the top five in the state of New York as a sophomore at Vestal High.

PERSONAL INFORMATION:

Singles Doubles
S e a s o n W L W L
2000-01 18 6 11 11
2001-02 15 11 16 12
Totals 33 31 27 23

PLAYER PROFILE
Born: June 21, 1982
Daughter of Linda Rochez and Terry Pegula
Has two brothers and two sisters
Favorite class is geology
Favorite TV show is National Geographic
Favorite musical group is Pink Floyd

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
I would guess she did attend Pitt with her sister being there but probably didnt spend much time on Oakland as she was already a pro. We need to get our best people on this and fast.
Highly unlikely Jessica ever attended Pitt. As a pro, she'd be training and competing full time, year round, and not in Pittsburgh.

Highly unlikely Jessica ever attended Pitt. As a pro, she'd be training and competing full time, year round, and not in Pittsburgh.

Maybe. But a lot of these child pros do attend college while also training and competing as a pro. So, I would almost guarantee she did attend college. Whether or not it was at Pitt, who knows.

Yep, that is definitely her. And she is now involved with both the Bills and Sabers, and a small percentage owner of the Bills.

"The 41-year-old is Terry’s daughter from his first marriage, has been involved in her father’s oil business and recently has been more visible in events such as the recent NFL owner’s meetings in Orlando, FL. According to the report, Laura is now serving as an alternate governor for the Sabres, has represented the club at recent NHL meetings and appeared at her father's side at the press conference late last month announcing the hiring of head coach Lindy Ruff."
usatsi_21603967_168402779_lowres.webp

From her time at Pitt (2003-2004 Pitt Media Guide):
2610.jpg

Laura Pegula
transfer from Eastern Michigan.
She enters her senior season with a 33-17 record. Competed and won a round in ITA tournament.

JUNIOR (2003):Finished the season with a 15-11 singles record and 16-12 doubles record. Lead the team in doubles victories.
SOPHOMORE (2002): First season as a Pittsburgh Panther after transferring from Eastern Michigan. Finished with an 18-6 singles record and 11-11 doubles record. Named Pittsburgh's Most Valuable Player at the end of the 2001-2002 season.
HIGH SCHOOL: A 2000 graduate of North Allegheny High School...competed for three seasons...finished in the top five in the
state as a senior...also finished in the top five in the state of New York as a sophomore at Vestal High.

PERSONAL INFORMATION:

Singles Doubles
S e a s o n W L W L
2000-01 18 6 11 11
2001-02 15 11 16 12
Totals 33 31 27 23

PLAYER PROFILE
Born: June 21, 1982
Daughter of Linda Rochez and Terry Pegula
Has two brothers and two sisters
Favorite class is geology
Favorite TV show is National Geographic
Favorite musical group is Pink Floyd
I said this in the other thread, but it appears that she’s a Pitt geology grad and is an exec at the Pegula oil and gas business out of Sewickley - which is the operation that gave Pegula the money to buy the Bills and Sabres in the first place. Not a bad Pitt alumna to keep an eye on - she might end up being pretty prominent down the road!

I said this in the other thread, but it appears that she’s a Pitt geology grad and is an exec at the Pegula oil and gas business out of Sewickley - which is the operation that gave Pegula the money to buy the Bills and Sabres in the first place. Not a bad Pitt alumna to keep an eye on - she might end up being pretty prominent down the road!
She could at least fund the restablishment of Pitt tennis.

Last edited:
Maybe. But a lot of these child pros do attend college while also training and competing as a pro. So, I would almost guarantee she did attend college. Whether or not it was at Pitt, who knows.
From a story in the Buffalo News on Jessica:

"The opening chapters of her story are the easy ones: Pegula, who was born in Buffalo and spent the early part of her childhood in Pittsburgh while her dad ran the oil and gas operation that made him wealthy, began playing tennis at age 7. She showed prodigious talent and her family moved to South Carolina to get her high-level coaching. Pegula kept ascending the tennis ranks, turning pro in 2009. She ultimately moved to Boca Raton, Fla., where she lives and trains today when she’s not traveling."

So she almost certainly didn't attend Pitt. Article talks about her husbands education, but nothing about her going to college.

From a story in the Buffalo News on Jessica:

"The opening chapters of her story are the easy ones: Pegula, who was born in Buffalo and spent the early part of her childhood in Pittsburgh while her dad ran the oil and gas operation that made him wealthy, began playing tennis at age 7. She showed prodigious talent and her family moved to South Carolina to get her high-level coaching. Pegula kept ascending the tennis ranks, turning pro in 2009. She ultimately moved to Boca Raton, Fla., where she lives and trains today when she’s not traveling."

So she almost certainly didn't attend Pitt. Article talks about her husbands education, but nothing about her going to college.

Maybe she went to Bishop Sycamore?

You would think that if Pitt has two tennis alums whose father was worth multiple billions, they would have found a way to NOT cut the tennis program for lack of funding.

Maybe Pegula will build a tennis stadium and self-fund the program. He has a tendency to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT