ADVERTISEMENT

The most troubling thing...

the_insider_

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2018
is that this team and even last year's team have the most talent and athleticism and haven't produced. This team doesn't lack skill. This team lacks scheme. Offensively and defensively.

Look, this Pitt defense is good. Probably better than good. Probably great, but not elite. But when your offense can't do ANYTHING and you're on the field for 40 minutes you literally have no chance.

I also find it troubling that Narduzzi give such a hands off approach to the offense. I get it, you're a defensive guy, but you're still the HEAD GUY. This offensive line unit is about the softest bunch of guys I've seen. And given Narduzzi's attitude and demeanor, you'd think that's the last thing they'd be. Especially watching the defense.

The easiest and most obvious thing that needs to be done is Whipple being canned.

If I'm ADHL I'm making this OC hire with little input from Narduzzi since he plays it as such a hands off approach. While making this hire I'd keep a few things in mind.

Of those things they'd be: who runs a modern college offense and who could potentially replace Narduzzi if that doesn't work.

I know that people won't be thrilled but the two names that come to mind for that hire are Joe Rudolph and Joe Moorhead.

Rudolph needs to let go of Chryst's wings and run his own show. Moorhead has proven at his time at Penn State he can run an offense. He just needs to get the defense down. I think he'd bring a lot of WPA guys with him which I think would be good for the program. It can't be ALL WPA guys, but a 2-3 would be a good things.

Fire away lol

is that this team and even last year's team have the most talent and athleticism and haven't produced. This team doesn't lack skill. This team lacks scheme. Offensively and defensively.

Look, this Pitt defense is good. Probably better than good. Probably great, but not elite. But when your offense can't do ANYTHING and you're on the field for 40 minutes you literally have no chance.

I also find it troubling that Narduzzi give such a hands off approach to the offense. I get it, you're a defensive guy, but you're still the HEAD GUY. This offensive line unit is about the softest bunch of guys I've seen. And given Narduzzi's attitude and demeanor, you'd think that's the last thing they'd be. Especially watching the defense.

The easiest and most obvious thing that needs to be done is Whipple being canned.

If I'm ADHL I'm making this OC hire with little input from Narduzzi since he plays it as such a hands off approach. While making this hire I'd keep a few things in mind.

Of those things they'd be: who runs a modern college offense and who could potentially replace Narduzzi if that doesn't work.

I know that people won't be thrilled but the two names that come to mind for that hire are Joe Rudolph and Joe Moorhead.

Rudolph needs to let go of Chryst's wings and run his own show. Moorhead has proven at his time at Penn State he can run an offense. He just needs to get the defense down. I think he'd bring a lot of WPA guys with him which I think would be good for the program. It can't be ALL WPA guys, but a 2-3 would be a good things.

Fire away lol
Why does there have to be some connection to Pittsburgh? Think outside the box.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I hate new coaching discussions, but as a Pitt fan since 1957 this game ranks As one of the most miserable I have seen. the talent is there but the game planning is not.

Help me understand this idea that there is this “talent” on offense?

Let’s see, I’ve got Addison and then here’s the rest of my list of better than mid-major level offensive players:
Addison is the only talent on offense ....the end!

Fire away lol

Both would be home run hires... I would be back on board if we could bring in either one.

Both would be home run hires... I would be back on board if we could bring in either one.

Both would be very safe, Pitt like hires that produce 6-8 wins and the BBVA compass bowl, Rudolph is another career assistant. Moorhead would probably produce more average results like he did at MSU.

Need to really think outside the box here on this hire. Hate to say it, but a coordinator is probably best bet.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Both would be very safe, Pitt like hires that produce 6-8 wins and the BBVA compass bowl, Rudolph is another career assistant. Moorhead would probably produce more average results like he did at MSU.

Need to really think outside the box here on this hire. Hate to say it, but a coordinator is probably best bet.

I am saying hire one of them as OC... as much as we want it, we aren’t firing Pat this year and maybe not next year.

Pat is likely going to be given one more chance to fix the offense and that starts with replacing Whipple and Borbley.

Both Moorhead and Rudolph have produced good / very good results at the P5 level. You can’t say that about Whipple or Watson and we won 8 games and a Coastal Championship with those two. It was a miracle but we did.

I cant fathom why Rudolph would leave a safe job where he us set up for success to take a job where he had a 80% chance give or take of being fired after one season.

No way nards hires Moorehead to have someone on staff the fanbase and alumni will pine for taking his job after the first loss.

I am saying hire one of them as OC... as much as we want it, we aren’t firing Pat this year and maybe not next year.

Pat is likely going to be given one more chance to fix the offense and that starts with replacing Whipple and Borbley.

Both Moorhead and Rudolph have produced good / very good results at the P5 level. You can’t say that about Whipple or Watson and we won 8 games and a Coastal Championship with those two. It was a miracle but we did.
Why would either of them leave good programs that pay a lot better for a lateral position at Pitt? And if they did accomplish anything at Pitt as coordinators, they’d get hired as HCs in no time.

Why would either of them leave good programs that pay a lot better for a lateral position at Pitt? And if they did accomplish anything at Pitt as coordinators, they’d get hired as HCs in no time.

Not saying either would definitely want to but I think Pat has to try because these are 2 good candidates.

I’ve heard that Rudolph wants to get out from under PCs shadow and run his own offense and call his own plays. No idea how true that is?

Both are also from the Pittsburgh area so there may be a desire to work in western PA?

Not saying either would definitely want to but I think Pat has to try because these are 2 good candidates.

I’ve heard that Rudolph wants to get out from under PCs shadow and run his own offense and call his own plays. No idea how true that is?

Both are also from the Pittsburgh area so there may be a desire to work in western PA?
Neither of them are going anywhere for another OC job, especially this one.

Hire Rudolph as OC and Bostad to coach the OL and that would be an upgrade. You’d have to give it two years since the O-line won’t be fixed overnight unless two grad transfers who can play are brought in and Gonclaves, Dick and Branson Taylor make major strides.

Hire Rudolph as OC and Bostad to coach the OL and that would be an upgrade. You’d have to give it two years since the O-line won’t be fixed overnight unless two grad transfers who can play are brought in and Gonclaves, Dick and Branson Taylor make major strides.
I think it’s time for Pitt to join the rest of the college football world and bring that offense up to date. Rudolph would be the wrong guy for that job.

Reactions: BFo8

Fire away lol

Here's the problem with firing Whipple....who in the heck that's a good, up-and-coming young offensive mind is going to come work for Narduzzi? Everyone in college football knows that it's only a matter of time before Narduzzi gets canned, so why tie yourself to a sinking ship? The only possible reason is that Heather promises a young offensive coordinator that he'll be next in line if they can Narduzzi. Much more likely that we'd have to settle for a re-tread offensive coordinator (kinda like Whipple). And while we're at it, it's not just Whipple that needs to go. Borbely and Salem should be frog marched out of the building ASAP. Hard to run an effective offense with a horrible offensive line and a non-existent TE.

Help me understand this idea that there is this “talent” on offense?

Let’s see, I’ve got Addison and then here’s the rest of my list of better than mid-major level offensive players:

Addison, Mack, SJL, AJ Davis, SIbley, Wayne, and even a few more a talented players. Are they elite? No. Addision may be. But they are all players who are talented and aren't being utiltized correctly.

This goes for the OL too. This OL isn't this bad. It just isn't. This is a product of scheme more than anything and coaching second.

I cant fathom why Rudolph would leave a safe job where he us set up for success to take a job where he had a 80% chance give or take of being fired after one season.

No way nards hires Moorehead to have someone on staff the fanbase and alumni will pine for taking his job after the first loss.

Rudolph needs to leave from mama Chryst's wings and run his own show.

I agree. Narduzzi probably isn't hiring Moorhead.

Addison, Mack, SJL, AJ Davis, SIbley, Wayne, and even a few more a talented players. Are they elite? No. Addision may be. But they are all players who are talented and aren't being utiltized correctly.

This goes for the OL too. This OL isn't this bad. It just isn't. This is a product of scheme more than anything and coaching second.

When you have to list Wayne, AJ davis, and SJL as your "talented" players you know you have issues.

Reactions: BFo8
If they were on other teams being utilized correctly, you'd be posting on here "why don't we have guys like that"

Maybe. And they might be OK as complimentary players, but the fact they are your best options shows how bereft of talent the team is.

Maybe it is unfair to say those guys are MAC level players. They can play in the ACC but should be a 2nd or 3rd back on the depth chart, or a 3rd or 4th receiver, not your primary guys.

Now, I will say again that a spread offense can really minimize talent issues as we have seen. A good system in general can do that...however, the talent, especially on the O-Line and RB, I'm not really sure if there is much you can do to overcome that.

If/when Rudolph leaves Wisconsin, it's as a HC. He's not coming to Pitt to a somewhat inferior infrastructure and budget just because of his local history. I mean I think he'd be a solid hire, but we ain't getting him to work as an OC.

Maybe. And they might be OK as complimentary players, but the fact they are your best options shows how bereft of talent the team is.

Maybe it is unfair to say those guys are MAC level players. They can play in the ACC but should be a 2nd or 3rd back on the depth chart, or a 3rd or 4th receiver, not your primary guys.

Now, I will say again that a spread offense can really minimize talent issues as we have seen. A good system in general can do that...however, the talent, especially on the O-Line and RB, I'm not really sure if there is much you can do to overcome that.

That was my point....

If/when Rudolph leaves Wisconsin, it's as a HC. He's not coming to Pitt to a somewhat inferior infrastructure and budget just because of his local history. I mean I think he'd be a solid hire, but we ain't getting him to work as an OC.

He was talking to Narduzzi about it when he hired Whipple.

Rudolph needs to leave from mama Chryst's wings and run his own show.

I agree. Narduzzi probably isn't hiring Moorhead.

Narduzzi asked him to stay, he declined. Rudolph is now in that career assistant territory, unless he wants to be head coach at Jabroni State or some other low level school.

Fire away lol
You expect too much from Heather. She's working on a grade Fanta order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT