ADVERTISEMENT

The Mountaineers & the People of WV - Plus a Brawl Prediction

I like to think I would be a great writer except for an unfortunate lack of talent. Despite my shortcomings, I wanted to wish Pitt and Pitt's fan(s) much luck and a successful season - other than losing to WVU. May the 105th Backyard Brawl be epic, injury free, and the officials seen but not heard.

My belief is that WVU and Pitt are better programs for playing each other. The rivalry defines each program - like it or not. We are stronger together.

I also wanted to attempt to explain to the many Pitt fans who are unfamiliar with WVU football the the special relationship the Mountaineers share with the people of West Virginia and Mountaineer fans throughout the world. West Virginia is a wonderful place full of natural beauty and great people. And the Mountaineer program should be admired for what's it's been able to accomplish.

As West Virginians, we are often the butt of jokes and undeserved scorn. Our state may be poor, but our people are prideful, hardworking, and generous. Our nature is to be fiercely independent, pragmatic, eccentric and intensely loyal. And the glue that binds us together, the bond that transcends state lines, income, occupation, or political beliefs is our love for the Mountaineers.

From Hancock to McDowell, from Wayne to Jefferson, and all points in between, our bond with the Mountaineers is unequivocally West Virginian. Mountaineer pride is in our DNA. Our children inherit our affinity for the old Gold and Blue as they would any genetic trait.

Year after year the annual Gallup Well-Being Index survey finds that West Virginians are the unhappiest people in the United States. It doesn’t surprise me. West Virginians look at good fortune with suspicion. We know that every rainbow is preceded by a devastating flood, that every free lunch is tainted with salmonella, and that everybody, everywhere is out to screw us over.

Our pessimism is so deeply ingrained that nearly every West Virginian believes that whatever fate has in store for us, the best we can hope for will be painful and humiliating. The only exception to that deep abiding pessimism is WVU football.

Our hardscrabble, paycheck to paycheck lives are buttressed at both ends by the Mountaineers. WVU football is our point of pride, the antidote to the stereotypes featured on TV, propagated by tasteless jokes, and other forms of derision. The success of the Mountaineer football program rewrites the narrative for all of West Virginia. But most importantly, the Mountaineers provide a necessary distraction from toil and trouble.

Mountaineer football, without a doubt, means more to the people of West Virginia than any other program does to any other state. Win or lose, sweet victory or bitter defeat, our heart and soul is with the Mountaineers. And there is no better example than that of the Sago Mine Disaster.

On the morning of January 2, 2006, hours before the West Virginia Mountaineers faced the SEC’s mighty Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl, tragedy struck Sago, WV. A methane gas explosion at the Sago Mine trapped 13 miners underground for nearly two days. All but 1 died.

The miners, knowing death was near, scribbled goodbye notes to their families. All 13 mentioned their love of the Mountaineers. One miner wrote he regretted dying without knowing the outcome of the Sugar Bowl.

The bond between the people of WV and the football program was strong. Sago was on the minds of the Mountaineer staff and players as they prepared to take on Georgia. Coach Rich Rodriguez, a native of tiny Grant Town, a son of a former coal miner, was subdued in the aftermath of WVU’s upset of Georgia, one of the greatest wins in program history. “It’s a tough day for our state.” Rodriguez said after the game.

Shelly Poe, then West Virginia’s sports information director, spoke of the concern of the coaching staff for the Sago Miners: “After the game, the coaches were asking about (Sago.) If you and your family are raised in West Virginia, it's inevitable that you have a relative, a neighbor, someone you went to school with who works in the mines."

Four years later, when tragedy struck again, the bond between the Mountaineers and the people of West Virginia was on full display.

On April 5, 2010, 29 miners were killed in the explosion at the Upper Big Branch Mine Raleigh County, WV. During a memorial service on April 24, 2010, President Barack Obama mentioned the affection the Upper Big Branch Miners had for the Mountaineers.

As part of his eulogy, Vice President Joe Biden mentioned the families of several miners wanted it known their husbands/fathers/sons hated Rich Rodriguez for leaving WVU. Biden’s comments caused the gathered mourners to laugh and flash a brief smile. Everyone understood last dying curse of any West Virginian, at the time, would have been directed at Rich Rod.

In 2017, I would witness firsthand how our love of the Mountaineers is present to our final breath. On October 14th, I sat holding my grandmother’s hand as we watched Texas Tech play the Mountaineers.

My Grandmother, Doris McGinnis, a lifelong Mountaineer fan, knew her time was short. Doris was ready to go, but not before the game was over. On gameday her health rallied to the point she was her usual feisty self. I sat holding her hand as we watched the Mountaineers fall behind 28-17 at the half. We never lost faith.

After Will Grier’s 4th touchdown put the Mountaineers in the lead, my grandmother squeezed my hand and said with a wink, "That Will Grier sure is a handsome, the only thing prettier is his deep ball."

Less than 17 hours later Dorris passed peacefully surrounded by family and friends - wearing a Mountaineer scarf.

Such is the bond between Mountaineers.

There are many storied programs in college football, all with rabid fans devoted to their program. But the Mountaineer program is different. No other program in the nation shares a bond with its fans and the people of its state as deep and meaningful as the Mountaineers and the people of West Virginia.

West Virginia has always been the program that defied the odds. It's success, on the field and off, is hard to comprehend. How can a state, as challenged as West Virginia, produce a football program ranked 15th all-time with 679 wins, the most of any school without a national championship, surrounded by programs with more resources? The list of accomplishments for Mountaineer football is long and impressive... 3 BCS wins, one of the few truly self-supporting and profitable athletic departments in college football, 299 appearances on national TV, one of only 15 Power 5 programs to go to 18 bowls over the past 20 years, ranked 20th nationally for the best home record over the past 19 seasons, and recognized as one of the best game day experiences in college football.

The Mountaineers defy the odds year after year, and 2022 will not be the exception. 2022 is the year the Mountaineer program returns to national prominence. And there is no better way to make a statement game than a win over Pitt in the 105th Backyard Brawl.

Let the nation doubt. How can the Mountaineers lose with 1.8 million West Virginians willing them to victory?

WVU 45 Pitt 24.

Cue Country Roads.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Pitt 31-16

I like to think I would be a great writer except for an unfortunate lack of talent. Despite my shortcomings, I wanted to wish Pitt and Pitt's fan(s) much luck and a successful season - other than losing to WVU. May the 105th Backyard Brawl be epic, injury free, and the officials seen but not heard.

My belief is that WVU and Pitt are better programs for playing each other. The rivalry defines each program - like it or not. We are stronger together.

I also wanted to attempt to explain to the many Pitt fans who are unfamiliar with WVU football the the special relationship the Mountaineers share with the people of West Virginia and Mountaineer fans throughout the world. West Virginia is a wonderful place full of natural beauty and great people. And the Mountaineer program should be admired for what's it's been able to accomplish.

As West Virginians, we are often the butt of jokes and undeserved scorn. Our state may be poor, but our people are prideful, hardworking, and generous. Our nature is to be fiercely independent, pragmatic, eccentric and intensely loyal. And the glue that binds us together, the bond that transcends state lines, income, occupation, or political beliefs is our love for the Mountaineers.

From Hancock to McDowell, from Wayne to Jefferson, and all points in between, our bond with the Mountaineers is unequivocally West Virginian. Mountaineer pride is in our DNA. Our children inherit our affinity for the old Gold and Blue as they would any genetic trait.

Year after year the annual Gallup Well-Being Index survey finds that West Virginians are the unhappiest people in the United States. It doesn’t surprise me. West Virginians look at good fortune with suspicion. We know that every rainbow is preceded by a devastating flood, that every free lunch is tainted with salmonella, and that everybody, everywhere is out to screw us over.

Our pessimism is so deeply ingrained that nearly every West Virginian believes that whatever fate has in store for us, the best we can hope for will be painful and humiliating. The only exception to that deep abiding pessimism is WVU football.

Our hardscrabble, paycheck to paycheck lives are buttressed at both ends by the Mountaineers. WVU football is our point of pride, the antidote to the stereotypes featured on TV, propagated by tasteless jokes, and other forms of derision. The success of the Mountaineer football program rewrites the narrative for all of West Virginia. But most importantly, the Mountaineers provide a necessary distraction from toil and trouble.

Mountaineer football, without a doubt, means more to the people of West Virginia than any other program does to any other state. Win or lose, sweet victory or bitter defeat, our heart and soul is with the Mountaineers. And there is no better example than that of the Sago Mine Disaster.

On the morning of January 2, 2006, hours before the West Virginia Mountaineers faced the SEC’s mighty Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl, tragedy struck Sago, WV. A methane gas explosion at the Sago Mine trapped 13 miners underground for nearly two days. All but 1 died.

The miners, knowing death was near, scribbled goodbye notes to their families. All 13 mentioned their love of the Mountaineers. One miner wrote he regretted dying without knowing the outcome of the Sugar Bowl.

The bond between the people of WV and the football program was strong. Sago was on the minds of the Mountaineer staff and players as they prepared to take on Georgia. Coach Rich Rodriguez, a native of tiny Grant Town, a son of a former coal miner, was subdued in the aftermath of WVU’s upset of Georgia, one of the greatest wins in program history. “It’s a tough day for our state.” Rodriguez said after the game.

Shelly Poe, then West Virginia’s sports information director, spoke of the concern of the coaching staff for the Sago Miners: “After the game, the coaches were asking about (Sago.) If you and your family are raised in West Virginia, it's inevitable that you have a relative, a neighbor, someone you went to school with who works in the mines."

Four years later, when tragedy struck again, the bond between the Mountaineers and the people of West Virginia was on full display.

On April 5, 2010, 29 miners were killed in the explosion at the Upper Big Branch Mine Raleigh County, WV. During a memorial service on April 24, 2010, President Barack Obama mentioned the affection the Upper Big Branch Miners had for the Mountaineers.

As part of his eulogy, Vice President Joe Biden mentioned the families of several miners wanted it known their husbands/fathers/sons hated Rich Rodriguez for leaving WVU. Biden’s comments caused the gathered mourners to laugh and flash a brief smile. Everyone understood last dying curse of any West Virginian, at the time, would have been directed at Rich Rod.

In 2017, I would witness firsthand how our love of the Mountaineers is present to our final breath. On October 14th, I sat holding my grandmother’s hand as we watched Texas Tech play the Mountaineers.

My Grandmother, Doris McGinnis, a lifelong Mountaineer fan, knew her time was short. Doris was ready to go, but not before the game was over. On gameday her health rallied to the point she was her usual feisty self. I sat holding her hand as we watched the Mountaineers fall behind 28-17 at the half. We never lost faith.

After Will Grier’s 4th touchdown put the Mountaineers in the lead, my grandmother squeezed my hand and said with a wink, "That Will Grier sure is a handsome, the only thing prettier is his deep ball."

Less than 17 hours later Dorris passed peacefully surrounded by family and friends - wearing a Mountaineer scarf.

There are many storied programs in college football, all with rabid fans devoted to their program. But the Mountaineer program is different. No other program in the nation shares a bond with its fans and the people of its state as deep and meaningful as the Mountaineers and the people of West Virginia.

West Virginia has always been the program that defied the odds. It's success, on the field and off, is hard to comprehend. How can a state, as challenged as West Virginia, produce a football program ranked 15th all-time with 679 wins, the most of any school without a national championship, surrounded by programs with more resources? The list of accomplishments for Mountaineer football is long and impressive... 3 BCS wins, one of the few truly self-supporting and profitable athletic departments in college football, 299 appearances on national TV, one of only 15 Power 5 programs to go to 18 bowls over the past 20 years, ranked 20th nationally for the best home record over the past 19 seasons, and recognized as one of the best game day experiences in college football.

The Mountaineers defy the odds year after year, and 2022 will not be the exception. 2022 is the year the Mountaineer program returns to national prominence. And there is no better way to make a statement game than a win over Pitt in the 105th Backyard Brawl.

Let the nation doubt. How can the Mountaineers lose with 1.8 million West Virginians willing them to victory?

WVU 45 Pitt 24.

Cue Country Roads.
tl;dr

Alot of WVU fans look down at the ACC. They played VT last year at home, won 27-21. We played VT at Lane Stadium, and crushed them 28-7 (the game wasn't that close).

If you are looking for a benchmark.

the Pitt VT game could have been a lot worse… we could have really smacked them in Lane Stadium if we wanted.

We ended up sitting on the ball most of the 2nd half including one 12+ min Pitt drive.

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

I don't have the time to read this now. But I certainly will the next time I am on the toilet taking a Hoopie. 💩💩💩
Just dropped a hooopie while reading it. The bathroom smells worse because of the post not the deuce

WVU 45 Pitt 24.

Cue Country Roads.
That is a lot of writing that is not gonna be read no body cares on Pitt side of the field

WVU 45 Pitt 24.

Cue Country Roads.

A beautifully written piece. I'm a fan of WVU except when they play Pitt.

Pitt 31 - WVU 17. Cue up Hail to Pitt !

You throw rocks at our football buses, key our cars refuse to move out of our purchased tickets for seats and when we went to the usher and the WVU trooper both said tough luck. The verbal abuse is terrible. Your behavior is the reason our AD did not renew the contract. You hate Pitt but because spillsl over into harm to fans and destruction of property.Your fan base needs to learn to behave.

Reactions: 1Skeets
You throw rocks at our football buses, key our cars refuse to move out of our purchased tickets for seats and when we went to the usher and the WVU trooper both said tough luck. The verbal abuse is terrible. Your behavior is the reason our AD did not renew the contract. You hate Pitt but because spillsl over into harm to fans and destruction of property.Your fan base needs to learn to behave.

This is very true. This is the main reason not to play the game and the main reason WVU was not wanted in the ACC. It's not just Pitt. UofL refused to take the Cheerleaders to games in Morgantown.because they were subject to hicks throwing batteries and coins at them. Really an embarrassing fan base.
You're also right about security not doing anything

It's too bad. It could be a great rivalry.

This is very true. This is the main reason not to play the game and the main reason WVU was not wanted in the ACC. It's not just Pitt. UofL refused to take the Cheerleaders to games in Morgantown.because they were subject to hicks throwing batteries and coins at them. Really an embarrassing fan base.

Hoopies aren't just stupid, they are ignorant too!

MUCK
THE
FOUNTAINEERS!

west-virginia-burning-couch.jpg

CLARKSBURG, W.Va. – According to a recent study, West Virginia has the worst overall education in the country.

Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah River are not in West Virginia.
Per wiki: the Blue Ridge traverses 8 states: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia.

As previously stated, the Shenandoah river traverses the eastern panhandle of WV.

so, yeah, the lyrics are true to the geography.

wvu fans need to become part of the human race before I'd ever want this rivalry to be a big part of our schedule. They're nothing but backwoods neanderthals that need caged. I've seen and experienced too many instances of their unprovoked ignorance and violence against Pitt fans to ever consider them a reputable opponent. Maybe when they grow up.

Reactions: HOF Coach
West Virginia has a lot of good people. The problem is that WVU has historically had many fans who are not good hosts. I put much of the blame on the security and university itself for controlling their rowdier fans.

I don't know what steps WVU and the stadium environs have taken to improve the situation, but it's a shame that the hooligans have given the state a bad name.

I definitely consider WVU a rival. The emotions that both WVU and PSU evoke put them at a much higher level than a normal athletic competition. I'm a fan who enjoys rivalries.

Bring on the Mountaineers. Can't wait.

I have had WV as a sales territory and have vacationed at lakes in the area for years. My customers and people I have met are some of the nicest, humble, and welcoming people I have ever met. I can make a cold all in WV and end up in a 2 hour meeting. The drunken, ignorant, unkempt fans who cause issues are not these people, they are similar to how steeler fans act at home games toward out of towners. Not a true representation of the area and acting more from a position of being an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I have had WV as a sales territory and have vacationed at lakes in the area for years. My customers and people I have met are some of the nicest, humble, and welcoming people I have ever met. I can make a cold all in WV and end up in a 2 hour meeting. The drunken, ignorant, unkempt fans who cause issues are not these people, they are similar to how steeler fans act at home games toward out of towners. Not a true representation of the area and acting more from a position of being an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.

Keep this in mind. A large portion of the Stiller fanbase is also part of the hoopie morons. That's why those Stiller fans act that way toward visiting fans and why I won't attend another Stiller game ever again. They're garbage.

Keep this in mind. A large portion of the Stiller fanbase is also part of the hoopie morons. That's why those Stiller fans act that way toward visiting fans and why I won't attend another Stiller game ever again. They're garbage.
Yea, I was laughing at the confused hoopies who didn’t know what to do when Pickett was introduced. Wanted to boo since he is Pitt, but wanted to cheer because he’s now a Steeler. Some of them still have their gears grinding on how to feel about that one

Everyone thinks they work harder than anyone else. People who have money, say they have more money because they worked harder. But most people are also full of excrement and cannot see outside of their own existence.

What a load of crap by the OP. West Virginians are as lazy as the rest of the population, probably lazier. Many of them feel they're owed something, which they're not. And most are illiterate and lack common sense. I've worked with many of them in the past, and there are a few exceptions. But not many.

As for the game, you're probably going to be very disappointed. I know anything can happen and the better team doesn't always win (the better team being Pitt, obviously). If Pitt can't beat your team of hooligans by at least 10, I'd be very surprised. And that's only because we'll be running and controlling the ball more and not scoring 50+ on you like we would have last year. But in the end, it's just a game and doesn't really matter, unless you're a poor resident of WV and have nothing else in your miserable life.

Country road,
get me home,
far away,
from this sh!th0le,
West Virginia,
mount your mama,
get me home,
far from here.

ADVERTISEMENT