ADVERTISEMENT

The New Numbers Font

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
I prefer the classic look of the throwback's numbers (font and color), but I think they did a MUCH better job of mimicking the cathedral style (late Gothic) then the previous attempt, which was terrible.

BAD
pitt-old-numbers.png

BETTER
new-pitt-numbers.png

When I look at the CoL, I think of long pointed arches, instead of whatever the previous numbers were going for. The new numbers are simply better. Whoever green lighted the previous font is a moron.

I prefer the classic look of the throwback's numbers (font and color), but I think they did a MUCH better job of mimicking the cathedral style (late Gothic) then the previous attempt, which was terrible.

BAD
pitt-old-numbers.png

BETTER
new-pitt-numbers.png

When I look at the CoL, I think of long pointed arches, instead of whatever the previous numbers were going for. The new numbers are simply better. Whoever green lighted the previous font is a moron.

I think they have one too many stiches attaching the number per every 12 inches... sarcasm..
As long as it is PITT i'm good.

Reactions: HOF Coach
When this reveal excitement dies down, no one....absolutely no one will give a rats ass if the font matches the arch of the COL

But many fans....still prefer the straightforward numbers on the retros.

Nike needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. These uniforms are sweet....with traditional numbers these units are a tape measure homerun.

No one cares that the font represents the COL.

No one

When this reveal excitement dies down, no one....absolutely no one will give a rats ass if the font matches the arch of the COL

But many fans....still prefer the straightforward numbers on the retros.

Nike needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. These uniforms are sweet....with traditional numbers these units are a tape measure homerun.

No one cares that the font represents the COL.

No one
i-don-t-give-a-rats-ass-women-s-t-shirts-womens-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Reactions: HOF Coach

BAD
pitt-old-numbers.png

BETTER
new-pitt-numbers.png

Let me guess
This means you’re watching from the couch again

I love block numbers, and I hated the old "cathedral" numbers with a passion. They sucked out loud.

These are growing on me - they might grow on me more.

Kudos to Pitt, they have been doing a pretty good job of explaining the motivation behind the uniforms over the past few days and at least it makes sense even if some don't like it.

Same here. I prefer block but these numbers are better than last attempt which just sucked. These are growing on me.

The pattern in the stripes is a total miss. Not sure what they are going after there. If you are going with a Cathedral theme, it would've been great to use the quatre foil pattern from the Cathedral in all the uniforms and maybe on bunting and even in the endzones ala Tennessee with their checkerboard. That could be our distinctive pattern.

Also, a few uniforms have crests on them but they aren't the Pitt crest which would've been just as easy to produce as the one they used. Common man! I know it's silly but this is simple stuff that shouldn't be hard.

I sort of thought we’d see some sort of homage or reference to the Victory Lights.

I’m not crazy about the cathedral font and actually like the alternative font they have in the branding guide a lot more but the cathedral font will work.

Overall really superb effort and a comprehensive professional job.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I sort of thought we’d see some sort of homage or reference to the Victory Lights.

I’m not crazy about the cathedral font and actually like the alternative font they have in the branding guide a lot more but the cathedral font will work.

Overall really superb effort and a comprehensive professional job.
This cathedral font is better than the previous cathedral font. Prefer the block of the throwbacks... but these aren't too bad. I think they'll look better live, at least they're discernible.

As for those colors, the blue isn't a color i'm likely to wear outside of games, but I wont be too ashamed to don it for 6 times a year or so. Keeping the yellow similar to the seats makes sense.

Like so often in the past, they'll be tweaking colors, fonts and unis every couple years, so be patient, if this mix is grotesque now, by 2021 they'll likely have a slightly darker blue, a slightly deeper gold, they'll have a new font scheme, etc. At least we should feel confident that Script Pitt is likely with us to stay for much longer, it seems more ingrained now as the main logo, they seemed to have learned from 97 and 04 or whatever... change up all the other stuff but keep that.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Just don’t understand why numbers on front of jerseys are so big. Damn things are bigger than numbers on back.

Just don’t understand why numbers on front of jerseys are so big. Damn things are bigger than numbers on back.
It will give the illusion we're faster...our backs and receivers will look further away to opposing defenders! :D

I used the smartass grin emoji there but there's a distinct possibility it might really be something a 7 figure Nike consultant came up with.

Not even close to the bad look that was Tourchcut.
iu

20031111jbPitt11c_175.jpg

iu

iu
The white on blue pants was particularly ghastly.

Those torch cut numbers unreadable and just ugly.

But I'll confess I never outright hated Dinocat. Oh, it was not great by any means. But it was kind of interesting, unique and aggressive.

I’m really coming around on the numbers and I actually think the pattern in the stripe is very sharp. These are going to look great on the field. Especially if we win 9 or 10 games.

[QUOTE="PittFathead87, post: 2659822, member: 3582"]I actually think the pattern in the stripe is very sharp. .[/QUOTE]

These where the worst uniform numbers I've ever seen, any team and any font was better than these.

No way man, WVU's 'coal mine' font takes that superlative and runs with it faster the Noel Devine.

I would like to see what the home blues would look like with white numbers though. I'm not the biggest fan right now with the bright yellow numbers, just the contrast seems to bright I guess. When we had navy and that old gold look it was okay because it wasn't so bright but worked nice. I liked the white numbers as it broke up the color from the yellow helmets and pants due to the yellow being so bright and loud.

Reactions: sonofabit
Not bad at all. I was invited to a party this Friday and wanted really to have on me my new t-shirt with thinking of betty font. Photoshop was a good tool because I could check best positions for words to be located. It took me a few hours and afterwards wanted only to print them. I got really excited. This font is my new favorite one. I have so many ideas to accomplish and even create small business online. Besides that you can use for decorations purposes also, this font is usable in so many ways. Will try to make some photos and add later, as examples.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT