ADVERTISEMENT

The next great SMF idea (re: Pitt/PSU)

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I really shouldn't be offering my sports consulting services for free but I'm just that kind.

OK, here it is:

Pitt and Penn State are probably never going to play again in football, right? A generation of fans will never be exposed to that rivalry. Or........

I give you Pitt vs PSU FUTBOL. A Labor Day weekend Sunday Night Tradition at Heinz Field. Ribfest, bands, tailgating, an excuse to go out and root on your school.

Honestly, if there was a Pitt/PSU men's/women's doubleheader and tickets were super cheap (like $5 bucks), I bet it could sell out the lower bowl. Give the students free tickets. Put the Pitt students in their regular endzone. PSU students (back in Pgh for the long weekend) in the other endzone and you'd have a heckuva cool soccer environment.

Market this game as the largest crowd in college soccer history or something. I'm telling you this could become a really awesome tradition for a city that doesn't really have pro soccer (Riverhounds dont really count) and for 2 hated rivals who dont play sports vs each other.

I really shouldn't be offering my sports consulting services for free but I'm just that kind.

OK, here it is:

Pitt and Penn State are probably never going to play again in football, right? A generation of fans will never be exposed to that rivalry. Or........

I give you Pitt vs PSU FUTBOL. A Labor Day weekend Sunday Night Tradition at Heinz Field. Ribfest, bands, tailgating, an excuse to go out and root on your school.

Honestly, if there was a Pitt/PSU men's/women's doubleheader and tickets were super cheap (like $5 bucks), I bet it could sell out the lower bowl. Give the students free tickets. Put the Pitt students in their regular endzone. PSU students (back in Pgh for the long weekend) in the other endzone and you'd have a heckuva cool soccer environment.

Market this game as the largest crowd in college soccer history or something. I'm telling you this could become a really awesome tradition for a city that doesn't really have pro soccer (Riverhounds dont really count) and for 2 hated rivals who dont play sports vs each other.
Will it be a two for one arrangement? Actually I like the idea. Why not the same thing with WVU?

Will it be a two for one arrangement? Actually I like the idea. Why not the same thing with WVU?
LOL at the 2 for 1 but I would do it as an every year thing. These are non-revenue sports. I am sure PSU would jump at the chance to come here every year for a Labor Day Eve doubleheader where they can turn out a few thousand of their own fans who would otherwise NEVER watch a PSU soccer game.

WVU would be the fallback option. They have good soccer programs but I dont think they'd spark enough interest in Pitt football/basketball fans to turn up for a soccer game. The PSU name brings out Pitt fans. Didnt we sell out the Pete for wrestling and volleyball vs PSU?

Like I said I like your idea now I am selling everything tomorrow. Jk

OK, here it is:

A great idea. Maybe also have a flag football game between former players on that weekend at Riverhounds to raise cash for a charity.

it will interfere with a Pirates home game half the time.
No it wont. Pirates at 1:05, Pitt/PSU women at 6:30, men at 8:30. It could create some parking issues but we're talking a crowd of maybe 20K (which would still be amazing for college soccer). The Pirates being home could even add to the soccer attendance and atmosphere. No reason this shouldn't happen. Pitt loves Olympic Sports so much, well this puts these soccer teams on a stage like NO OTHER in college soccer and beating PSU in front of a big crowd makes Pitt fans feel good.

Would anyone here other than me contribute to a crowd funding campaign to launch a "The next great SMF idea" reality television series?

You should be a judge on shark tank. You could be the poor loser sitting next to the wealthy winners

Its already in development on the new SMF Network. We'll have plenty of college soccer, Gannon golf, and Peloton competitions

Maybe replace the peloton games with something else. Peloton had to recall all of their treadmills. They made their name with the stationary bike but they have lost some luster. You also have to manually adjust elevation on their bikes. The Norditrak adjusts automatically with the workout. Peloton also had to bring out an updated version to compete with Norditrak. The screen did not swizzle 360 like Nordictrak.

Last edited:
How about this, thinking like SMF:
For football, ooc schedule: start a rivalry with Rutgers (or Maryland). Why?-
- Big 10 member
- Cupcake
- Shows State Penn we just thumbed our noses at them.

when will people learn psu wants no part of us in anything? they want nothing to do with helping our brand even if it helps theirs.
they wouldnt even schedule a happy hour between chess teams let alone any of this.

when will people learn psu wants no part of us in anything? they want nothing to do with helping our brand even if it helps theirs.
they wouldnt even schedule a happy hour between chess teams let alone any of this.

Actually, other than football and men's basketball, they schedule us in other sports pretty regularly. Obviously this year is different, but two years ago we played them a home and home in both volleyball and baseball. The softball team plays them most years. The women's basketball teams have played in many (but not all) seasons recently. Both the cross country and track teams have gone up to nitterville for meets recently (hmmm, I wonder why they never come down here for one of those?).

Actually, other than football and men's basketball, they schedule us in other sports pretty regularly. Obviously this year is different, but two years ago we played them a home and home in both volleyball and baseball. The softball team plays them most years. The women's basketball teams have played in many (but not all) seasons recently. Both the cross country and track teams have gone up to nitterville for meets recently (hmmm, I wonder why they never come down here for one of those?).
Speaking of track, has anyone discussed the idea of Pitt and the city teaming up (I know, I know) to renovate the Schenley Oval Sportsplex? It’s not too far from campus and would make for a nice outdoor track facility, complimenting the planned indoor track well. They could even continue keeping it open to the public when it’s not being used for events.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

OK, here it is:

Love the idea, and I’m more of a fan than 99% of the people on this board. But I’m not sure they’d sell out Highmark, let alone fill the lower bowl. I went to the women’s game literally a few days after they won the World Cup. They filled the lower bowl and had some seats occupied in the upper decks, and that was cool to see. But there was a buzz in the soccer community over that world championship. The place was filled with youth club players, their families, hard core soccer fans (some American outlaws were there), and some folks who were there due to novelty and patriotism. I can’t see that happening for college soccer.

I can’t see that happening for college soccer.

I believe the NCAA all time attendance record is something like 22,000. There is approximately a 0.00% chance that a Pitt - Penn State soccer game at Heinz comes anywhere close to that number.

I believe the NCAA all time attendance record is something like 22,000. There is approximately a 0.00% chance that a Pitt - Penn State soccer game at Heinz comes anywhere close to that number.
Everyone here says Pitt olympic sports are just as important as football and basketball

Love the idea, and I’m more of a fan than 99% of the people on this board. But I’m not sure they’d sell out Highmark, let alone fill the lower bowl.
If Pitt and PSU played on a random Wednesday at Highmark with 0 marketing around it, I would agree that it wouldn't sell out.

However, if Pitt and PSU played the Sunday of Ribfest and both schools marketed the heck out of it and tickets were made super cheap like $5 and free for students, I truly believe they'd fill the lower bowl. It could become somewhat of a Labor Day tradition

Definitely not dumber than people who claim that A LOT of people care about Pitt olympic sports despite these teams drawing 100, 200, 300 fans to games.

So to recap, you think that people who say that a lot of people care about Pitt Olympic sports are dumb, and you also think that a Pitt - Penn State soccer game at Heinz Field would be of such great interest that it would break the all time NCAA soccer attendance record.

😵

It is quite possible that you have perfectly encapsulated yourself right there in that one post.

Unintentionally.

Reactions: caleco's
So to recap, you think that people who say that a lot of people care about Pitt Olympic sports are dumb, and you also think that a Pitt - Penn State soccer game at Heinz Field would be of such great interest that it would break the all time NCAA soccer attendance record.

😵

It is quite possible that you have perfectly encapsulated yourself right there in that one post.

Unintentionally.
Exactly. Pitt/PSU soccer at Heinz during RibFest would be an "event." 5000 Pitt students would go just to tailgate and get a free t shirt: The Oakland Zooligans

Exactly. Pitt/PSU soccer at Heinz during RibFest would be an "event." 5000 Pitt students would go just to tailgate and get a free t shirt: The Oakland Zooligans
There is no way 5000 students, on Labor Day weekend, choose to go bake in Heinz Field to watch a game that most could care less about. And is Penn St enough of a novelty to 20 year olds that they will come out in great numbers to watch them play soccer?

let’s shoot for a couple hundred of them at Victory Heights first. Pitt soccer will easily fill Victory Heights for a Pitt/PSU match. But that’s 1000 seats vs 25K at Heinz. (I would love to see the day when our grandstand at Urbanic needs expanded.). But even then our AD probably needs to see a potential ROI first.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
There is no way 5000 students, on Labor Day weekend, choose to go bake in Heinz Field to watch a game that most could care less about. And is Penn St enough of a novelty to 20 year olds that they will come out in great numbers to watch them play soccer?

let’s shoot for a couple hundred of them at Victory Heights first. Pitt soccer will easily fill Victory Heights for a Pitt/PSU match. But that’s 1000 seats vs 25K at Heinz. (I would love to see the day when our grandstand at Urbanic needs expanded.). But even then our AD probably needs to see a potential ROI first.
The Labor Day Weekend football game vs an FCS team is the most attended student game of the year. Sometimes all 9000 go and there are students in the upper deck. Of course 5000 students dont care about Pitt soccer. Probably less than 10 do. But if marketed properly, to go get drunk and get a t-shirt or a soccer scarf or something, yes, I think Pitt can get 5000 students there.

Lets not forget Pitt/PSU volleyball sold out The Pete a few years ago. Pitt soccer may be preseason #1. It would be "an event."

The Labor Day Weekend football game vs an FCS team is the most attended student game of the year. Sometimes all 9000 go and there are students in the upper deck. Of course 5000 students dont care about Pitt soccer. Probably less than 10 do. But if marketed properly, to go get drunk and get a t-shirt or a soccer scarf or something, yes, I think Pitt can get 5000 students there.

Lets not forget Pitt/PSU volleyball sold out The Pete a few years ago. Pitt soccer may be preseason #1. It would be "an event."
I’d like to see your source for Pitt’s student attendance numbers by week.

Reactions: caleco's
I’d like to see your source for Pitt’s student attendance numbers by week.
My source is going to almost every game at Heinz since it opened. The first game of the season ALWAYS has the largest student attendance by a mile except the PSU games of course. Student attendance falls off rapidly after the 1st game.

SMF's next great idea:

I honestly don't understand why Pitt doesn't play WVU in football every year either to open the season or at the end of the regular season. On that last Saturday in November, Florida State plays Florida (ACC vs SEC), Georgia plays Georgia Tech (SEC vs ACC), Kentucky plays Louisville (SEC vs ACC), Clemson plays South Carolina (ACC vs SEC), so there are other non-conference rivalry games taking place. Why can't Pitt-WVU be another? The Backyard Brawl would sell out here or in Morgantown every year.

I'd say that he's lost his mind, but first I'd have to see some sort of evidence that he ever actually had one in the first place.

I'd say that he's lost his mind, but first I'd have to see some sort of evidence that he ever actually had one in the first place
heavy mask usage leads to oxygen deprivation. Oxygen deprivation leads to loss of brain cells, disorientation, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT