ADVERTISEMENT

The Panthers are Legit!!!!

Sucks it’s only a quad 2, but provides wiggle room. What an effort and heart to pull it out. Hopefully some of the fans who showed up are convinced to stick around for the remaining weaker home foes.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
This Pitt team wins games because they can flat out shoot the basketball and make big time 3’s game after game. Their defense at the end today was great but you win basketball games at a high level in the ACC by being able to shoot and make big time shots. Man how clutch and how good has Blake Hinson been these last two games and just all season in general. Why I keep saying it this Pitt team has the potential with the way they shoot the basketball if they get in the NCCA Tournament to get to the Sweet 16 and that second weekend if they get the right matchups.

I got excited when we got it down to three. When they pushed it back to nine with about two minutes left, I became resigned to the fact that we weren't going to be able to catch up. But those last two minutes were wild, and I went crazy when we won it.

Whoa! What a character comeback!! Kudos to the team and, yes, to Coach Capel too!!! Pitt hoops are fun again!!!!

Last edited:
Good to see Elliot make up for an unfortunate o pass on in bound.

It’s obvious he loves this team and loves to play. Some people might think stuff like that’s fluff - and to some extent they are right of the talent isn’t there. But I really think that helped him in that moment. Played loose…got his head right back in the game…SEALED it.

Because the humans have Miami ranked a lot higher than the metrics do. Heading into today Miami's NET ranking was 37.

Wow. You are right. They arent top 30 in the net and I had previously thought they were. Darn, its not Quad 1 win yet. And UNC is 31st.

Realtimerpi has them at 22nd in the rpi.

Big one against UNC, especially with RJ Davis as a game time decision with the facial injury and dislocated finger on the shooting hand both from last game.

Pitt won this game with great defense for the last 10 minutes of the second half. Defense produces winning basketball, especially against the better opponents. This will help Pitt immensely come tournament time. Yes, they finally started making some 3's. But the defensive effort, steals, putbacks, and taking advantage of Miami forced turnovers won that game. Pitt was outdone in practically all the stats, especially offensive stats. But somehow with great defense and timely rebounding, they managed to win. Hail to Pitt!!!

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
I don't get how it's only a quad 2 win when we beat a top 20 team. Plain stupid.
Would someone explain the Quad system? I was puzzled when I heard during the Wake game that it was a Quad 4 game for them but only a Quad 3 game for us. Was that because it was an away game for them but a home game for us? And now this is only a Quad 2 win. Is part of this also because it is a home game for us? If so, what would the rest of it be since Miami is a ranked team?

Would someone explain the Quad system? I was puzzled when I heard during the Wake game that it was a Quad 4 game for them but only a Quad 3 game for us. Was that because it was an away game for them but a home game for us? And now this is only a Quad 2 win. Is part of this also because it is a home game for us? If so, what would the rest of it be since Miami is a ranked team?

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-134
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Miami was 37 in the NET before today, so assuming that doesn't change (it probably won't change much) they are a Q2 win for us, home game against a team ranked between 31 and 75.

From Miami's perspective, our NET before today was 62. For Miami that is a Q1 loss, road game against a team in the top 75.

Miami was 37 in the NET before today, so assuming that doesn't change (it probably won't change much) they are a Q2 win for us, home game against a team ranked between 31 and 75.

From Miami's perspective, our NET before today was 62. For Miami that is a Q1 loss, road game against a team in the top 75.
The NCAA is the only sports body in the world that believes championships should be determined by a bunch of people sitting in a committee room, rather than on the field of competition. But since those humans are incapable of handling complicated math, they dumb it down for them with the quad system, where beating team 30 is no different than beating team 29, but is way better than beating team 31.

No other sports body uses a committee. It’s an anachronism that needs to be eliminated. Can you imagine the NFL having a meeting to invite teams to the playoffs? And it’s not because of the number of teams, the World Cup Soccer, and the Olympics don’t have committees picking the contenders.

Thanks. This is helpful.

The NCAA is the only sports body in the world that believes championships should be determined by a bunch of people sitting in a committee room, rather than on the field of competition. But since those humans are incapable of handling complicated math, they dumb it down for them with the quad system, where beating team 30 is no different than beating team 29, but is way better than beating team 31.

No other sports body uses a committee. It’s an anachronism that needs to be eliminated. Can you imagine the NFL having a meeting to invite teams to the playoffs? And it’s not because of the number of teams, the World Cup Soccer, and the Olympics don’t have committees picking the contenders.

Which teams have won the NCAA championship because of someone in a committee room rather than on the court? Did they cancel the NCAA tournament one year and just declared someone the champion and we all missed it? What team that has ever got left out of the tournament had anything more than a ridiculous long shot chance to win the championship.

But yeah, the NET ratings and all that includes is better than the RPI, if for no other reason than the RPI was a really dumb system that even the guy who made it up said that they shouldn't be using the way that they did. But it could be better. For instance why the need for "quads" at all? You beat who you beat. If the people on the committee can't look at a team's schedule and figure out if they beat good teams or not then those people shouldn't be on the committee. And you'd get rid of the moronic notion that beating 9-13 Washington State on the road is the same quality of win as would be beating Purdue on the road, or Alabama at home.

However if you want to do away with the committee, I would be interested in hearing what you want to replace it with.

Which teams have won the NCAA championship because of someone in a committee room rather than on the court? Did they cancel the NCAA tournament one year and just declared someone the champion and we all missed it? What team that has ever got left out of the tournament had anything more than a ridiculous long shot chance to win the championship.

But yeah, the NET ratings and all that includes is better than the RPI, if for no other reason than the RPI was a really dumb system that even the guy who made it up said that they shouldn't be using the way that they did. But it could be better. For instance why the need for "quads" at all? You beat who you beat. If the people on the committee can't look at a team's schedule and figure out if they beat good teams or not then those people shouldn't be on the committee. And you'd get rid of the moronic notion that beating 9-13 Washington State on the road is the same quality of win as would be beating Purdue on the road, or Alabama at home.

However if you want to do away with the committee, I would be interested in hearing what you want to replace it with

However if you want to do away with the committee, I would be interested in hearing what you want to replace it with.
First you need to decide what you want in the tournament. The best teams, or the teams that have done the best. (I’m just talking about the at large teams, I’d never want to do away with the automatic qualifiers).

The NCAA goes both ways on this, sometimes emphasizing recently played games, sometimes considering close losses. I’m firmly in the I want the teams that have done the best, by winning. I don’t care that you’ve got a team that in paper should is better, if you don’t get Wins, it doesn’t matter. Similarly if your star player is hurt, I’m not dropping your seed or kicking you out or putting you in. Can you imagine the NFL eliminating a team’s bye because their QB got hurt?

So using actual winning and not perception as a criteria, a method similar to the Soccer World Cup could be used. Conferences are ranked on past performance and then each conference gets a set number of spots in the tournament. Some leagues get 5, some 6 some 7 some only 1 or 2. Fans shouldn’t have to guess as to whether their team is in the playoffs.

Alternately an RPI like formula could be used, where you get points for beating people, and more points every time they win. But losing is losing. No points for that.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
First you need to decide what you want in the tournament. The best teams, or the teams that have done the best. (I’m just talking about the at large teams, I’d never want to do away with the automatic qualifiers).

The NCAA goes both ways on this, sometimes emphasizing recently played games, sometimes considering close losses. I’m firmly in the I want the teams that have done the best, by winning. I don’t care that you’ve got a team that in paper should is better, if you don’t get Wins, it doesn’t matter. Similarly if your star player is hurt, I’m not dropping your seed or kicking you out or putting you in. Can you imagine the NFL eliminating a team’s bye because their QB got hurt?

So using actual winning and not perception as a criteria, a method similar to the Soccer World Cup could be used. Conferences are ranked on past performance and then each conference gets a set number of spots in the tournament. Some leagues get 5, some 6 some 7 some only 1 or 2. Fans shouldn’t have to guess as to whether their team is in the playoffs.

Alternately an RPI like formula could be used, where you get points for beating people, and more points every time they win. But losing is losing. No points for that.
This is exactly what they should do

No matter what this team has heart and they play hard. What a great win today, great fight and comeback!
Well said!! I resigned myself to how gutsy they were at end of game and then to pull out the win, was like WOW!! This is a big part of all good wins, and this team seems to have it. With the multitude of scoring options they have, it really could have a great run for the rest of
the year. There will undoubtedly be bumps in the remaining road, but they will not quit and I think there confidence, belief in each other and grit are reaching new heights!

Reactions: docpanther26

Well part of what made the RPI such a stupid system was that there were games that a team could play that they could win by literally any score, even 100 points, and their RPI would go down, and conversely games that a team could lose by 100 and have their rating go up, so let's not have anything to do with anything even remotely like the RPI.

But having said that, if you don't take into account losses to good teams then you are going to ensure that no good teams ever play a nonconference game against any team with a pulse. Because if you are telling coaches that they get no credit for going on the road and playing a top ten team if they lose, but they will get credit, even if it's just a little credit, for beating the 300th best team at home, then no one is going to play a tough team rather than an easy one.

Also, assigning bids based on historical performance rather than how good the teams are right now leaves you in a situation where lesser teams from lesser conferences make the tournament at the expense of better teams from better conferences. Which seems kind of dumb. I mean historically the ACC is way better than the Big 12, so the ACC gets eight out of 15 while the Big 12 gets three out of ten this year. Except this year, on the court, the Big 12 isn't just better, it's a lot better. So you'd end up leaving out three Big 12 teams that are currently ranked in the top 20, but you will add to the field several ACC teams that aren't in the top 50. And sure, next year you can adjust those percentages, but then what if you do and then next year the ACC is better? You end up with a system that basically guarantees that every year lesser teams will make the tournament at the expense of clearly better teams. Which seems dumb.

And of course the difference between NCAA basketball and World Cup soccer is that NCAA basketball teams play meaningful games all the time against teams from other conferences. Other than the World Cup national soccer teams almost never play meaningful games against teams from other confederations. Pitt has played two Big Ten teams, and SEC team and a Big 12 team this year. Other than the World Cup the United States almost never plays non-CONCACAF teams in anything other than an exhibition.

ADVERTISEMENT