ADVERTISEMENT

The pay board had a guess the 2019 class thread

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
it generated very little interest. Maybe there will be more interest on this side. So:

Who do you think are the 3 most likely Pitt BB recruits for 2019? (Most likely not most desired)

Names still associated with and 24/7 rank:

7 - Achiwa
23 - Igiehon
26 - Bacot
27 - Cockiburn
43 - Payne
86 - Wong
99 - Wahab
182 - Ledlum
201 - Gaffney
252 - Fernandes

New names:

49 - Akok
74 - Mann
77 - Quiones
85 - Bishop
132 - Freemantle

Some lower rated and local:

95 - T.Mitchell
273 - N.Glover
307 - John Bol Ajak
321 - B.Stone
348 - A.Gill

That is 20 names to chew on. My 3 would be Fernandes, Ledlum and Wahab - Ideally Wong, Achiwa and Igiehon

I know nothing about most of the kids, only what I have been reading on here, but I have a funny feeling Coach Capel will land 1 of the 5* big kids

Igiehon, Wahab, Wong. I am overly optimistic I suppose.
I think that is possible - I don't think you fly to Europe to recruit his family as early as we did unless you feel you have a real chance. Wong and Wahab are 86 and 99. Maybe that is near our sweet spot.

Hope you are right. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
I am certainly interested too but other than seeing names on a list has anyone here ever actually seen any of these guys play? My guess is only a few.

I am certainly interested too but other than seeing names on a list has anyone here ever actually seen any of these guys play? My guess is only a few.

The only thing I care about is that we end up with at least two ACC quality bigmen in the class. We have likely fixed the talent problem at guard and we are loaded with wings. We remain in serious need of quality bigs.

I think that is possible - I don't think you fly to Europe to recruit his family as early as we did unless you feel you have a real chance. Wong and Wahab are 86 and 99. Maybe that is near our sweet spot.

Hope you are right. Thanks for responding.

I feel the same way now that I did with recruiting under Dixon. Pitt needs to live in the 75-120 range with an occasional elite player. I'm confident Capel will do a better job landing that elite guy than did Dixon.

There was thread about this a little while back.

Igiehon
Wahab
Ledlum

Would be my picks at this point.

Ledlum is ranked way to low considering the number of P5 offers he has at this point. Definitely a top 100 talent.

Igiehon, Wahab, Wong. I am overly optimistic I suppose.

No one was interested on the pay side - Apparently no one interested over here either

No problem

I was going to reply, but there just does not seem to be enough smoke signals to make a decent guess.

The two big name bigs they appear to still have a shot at are Cockburn and Wahab - they are watching Wahab a lot and it seems he is their primary top big man target. They have offered a few backup type candidate big men the last week.

They just made Wong and Gaffney's final five/six. Seems they want another PG, one of those two or Fernandez.

Wings ... They are in on a number, but hard to get a handle on who they are zeroing in on, or have traction with.

It

I was going to reply, but there just does not seem to be enough smoke signals to make a decent guess.

The two big name bigs they appear to still have a shot at are Cockburn and Wahab - they are watching Wahab a lot and it seems he is their primary top big man target. They have offered a few backup type candidate big men the last week.

They just made Wong and Gaffney's final five/six. Seems they want another PG, one of those two or Fernandez.

Wings ... They are in on a number, but hard to get a handle on who they are zeroing in on, or have traction with.

It
It seems some names have been eliminated: Oscar, Hyatt, Gant, P.Williams, etc. and some of the new offers have already eliminated us.

I think we are getting closer to whittling a lot of names to a more focused number.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
it generated very little interest. Maybe there will be more interest on this side. So:

Who do you think are the 3 most likely Pitt BB recruits for 2019? (Most likely not most desired)

Names still associated with and 24/7 rank:

7 - Achiwa
23 - Igiehon
26 - Bacot
27 - Cockiburn
43 - Payne
86 - Wong
99 - Wahab
182 - Ledlum
201 - Gaffney
252 - Fernandes

New names:

49 - Akok
74 - Mann
77 - Quiones
85 - Bishop
132 - Freemantle

Some lower rated and local:

95 - T.Mitchell
273 - N.Glover
307 - John Bol Ajak
321 - B.Stone
348 - A.Gill

That is 20 names to chew on. My 3 would be Fernandes, Ledlum and Wahab - Ideally Wong, Achiwa and Igiehon

I’ll bite.

Achiuwa - No shot. Very tight-lipped recruitment but thought to be UConn or SJU, unless Kansas gets more involved.

Igiehon - Probably Louisville or SJU. Could be a backup for UK if/when Wiseman picks Memphis

Cockburn - Another guy waiting on Wiseman. He’s been on SJU’s campus many times and took an unofficial to UConn where his handlers have strong ties via past guys they’ve mentored, but everything about this guy says he’s holding out for a big time school, namely UK, to offer. If UK offers, he’s theirs... if not, it’ll open up a bit but the hometown schools may have the inside track

Wong - Anything other than Miami would be a major upset. Might get an OV but Miami is the big favorite

Wahab - This should be Capel’s 1A target. If Wiseman goes to Memphis, a lot of dominoes fall that could leave Wahab as the prettiest girl at the dance without a date and a lot of big time schools looking for a Big in 2019. Capel would be wise to push for a signature before his recruitment heats up

Gaffney - He’s a UF guy if they want him. Just announced two OV’s, UF on 9/14, UConn 9/21. UF has been sniffing around other PG’s all summer and just offered another guy last week, so there’s an opening on this guy if he doesn’t hear what he wants on his OV in Gainesville. UConn is bringing in Al-Amir Dawes this week for an unofficial and he’s thought to be a big UConn lean, so if they get a commitment from him, that’s another Gaffney suitor out of the mix. Need some things to happen but this is doable

Akok - Syracuse lean with Providence and UConn in the mix. His athleticism and versatility is tailor-made for that garbage zone at Cuse, but Ed Cooley brought in a few of his Mass Rivals teammates in the 2018 class, so the Friars will be a factor

Mann - Thought to be a UF guy, but recently relocated to TN and rumors of a UT offer forthcoming. Probably UT or UNC here

Quinones - This kid is blowing up right now. Probably outside of Pitt’s reach after he took off in July.

Tre Mitchell - ND is the school to beat here

Wahab is the main guy. Get him and it won’t matter as much that the other top targets go to higher profile schools. Get the cornerstone big and start looking for guys who may have been stupidly passed over by the big boys

I’ll bite.

Achiuwa - No shot. Very tight-lipped recruitment but thought to be UConn or SJU, unless Kansas gets more involved.

Igiehon - Probably Louisville or SJU. Could be a backup for UK if/when Wiseman picks Memphis

Cockburn - Another guy waiting on Wiseman. He’s been on SJU’s campus many times and took an unofficial to UConn where his handlers have strong ties via past guys they’ve mentored, but everything about this guy says he’s holding out for a big time school, namely UK, to offer. If UK offers, he’s theirs... if not, it’ll open up a bit but the hometown schools may have the inside track

Wong - Anything other than Miami would be a major upset. Might get an OV but Miami is the big favorite

Wahab - This should be Capel’s 1A target. If Wiseman goes to Memphis, a lot of dominoes fall that could leave Wahab as the prettiest girl at the dance without a date and a lot of big time schools looking for a Big in 2019. Capel would be wise to push for a signature before his recruitment heats up

Gaffney - He’s a UF guy if they want him. Just announced two OV’s, UF on 9/14, UConn 9/21. UF has been sniffing around other PG’s all summer and just offered another guy last week, so there’s an opening on this guy if he doesn’t hear what he wants on his OV in Gainesville. UConn is bringing in Al-Amir Dawes this week for an unofficial and he’s thought to be a big UConn lean, so if they get a commitment from him, that’s another Gaffney suitor out of the mix. Need some things to happen but this is doable

Akok - Syracuse lean with Providence and UConn in the mix. His athleticism and versatility is tailor-made for that garbage zone at Cuse, but Ed Cooley brought in a few of his Mass Rivals teammates in the 2018 class, so the Friars will be a factor

Mann - Thought to be a UF guy, but recently relocated to TN and rumors of a UT offer forthcoming. Probably UT or UNC here

Quinones - This kid is blowing up right now. Probably outside of Pitt’s reach after he took off in July.

Wahab is the main guy. Get him and it won’t matter as much that the other top targets go to higher profile schools. Get the cornerstone big and start looking for guys who may have been stupidly passed over by the big boys
Appreciate your thoughts

I’ll bite.

Yeah, as of today, it appears Wahab is the key guy.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT