ADVERTISEMENT

The Pirates making big news by trading...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
Kevin Newman for another middle of the road relief pitcher...YAWN.
How about going out and getting a player that draws some interest and excitement to the team.
How about trying to sign a player like Cody Bellinger. The guy was not tendered a contract by the Dodgers making him a free agent. The guy is only 27 years old and has had a ton of pressure on him in LA. The Pirates should make the guy an offer and try to get here in Pittsburgh. I bet the guy would hit 40+ HR's here and bat at a .270+ clip.
The addition of a star player like Bellinger would certainly increase fan interest and attendance at games.
Come on nutting, open up those purse strings and sign the guy.

Do you actually think Bellinger would come here?

He was cut by the Dodgers and probably require being the Pirates highest paid player to come here

Reactions: JokePa
How about going out and getting a player that draws some interest and excitement to the team.
How about trying to sign a player like Cody Bellinger. The guy was not tendered a contract by the Dodgers making him a free agent. The guy is only 27 years old and has had a ton of pressure on him in LA. The Pirates should make the guy an offer and try to get here in Pittsburgh. I bet the guy would hit 40+ HR's here and bat at a .270+ clip.
The addition of a star player like Bellinger would certainly increase fan interest and attendance at games.
But if they sign Bellinger, how will they have enough money to land Aaron Judge? :oops:

They had to trade him, he was the only player with more than 50 ABs to hit above .270!

Daryle Ward
Jeremy Burnitz
Lyle Overbay
Adam Laroche

All left handed hitters that had success elsewhere. They come to Pittsburgh and put up the worst numbers of their respective careers. It would be no different with Bellinger.

The whole organization is not cursed.....it is infected....with a culture of apathy that eliminates any chance of success.

If bellinger wants to save his career tje last place he should consider is Nuttings Fun House

He was cut by the Dodgers and probably require being the Pirates highest paid player to come here
I do, if the money is right and he should be the Pirates highest paid payer because he'd be their best player. A lot of pressure on that young man playing out in LA with nothing short a World Series Championship expected. Love to see him play here and launch balls into the river.

I do, if the money is right and he should be the Pirates highest paid payer because he'd be their best player. A lot of pressure on that young man playing out in LA with nothing short a World Series Championship expected. Love to see him play here and launch balls into the river.

Well, I see zero chance of that, but I hope youre right. I agree that he would be a huge boost to the team. Hell even if he bats .190 he is still better than half our roster

Well, I see zero chance of that, but I hope youre right. I agree that he would be a huge boost to the team. Hell even if he bats .190 he is still better than half our roster
They can pair him and Cruz to have 2 .200 batting guys in the center of the lineup.

I know it won't happen but I am so sick and tired of the pirates trading away people and getting useless pitching back. Wouldn't it be refreshing to see them bringing in a MLB star???
What the heck, since I'm dreaming, lets get Trea Turner as well!!

Reactions: jctrack

Getting anything for Newman is a plus

Getting anything for Newman is a plus

The fact of the matter is that the Pirates were going to non-tender him, because he stinks. So getting anything for him, even a lottery ticket minor league pitcher is a good deal, because something is better than nothing.

The fact of the matter is that the Pirates were going to non-tender him, because he stinks. So getting anything for him, even a lottery ticket minor league pitcher is a good deal, because something is better than nothing.
In a sense that's true, but they will replace him with a stiff from another team and calim that he is the next super star utility player.
By the way, they should trade David Bednar ASAP. If there is one thing that a losing baseball team does not need is a CLOSER. They talk of him as if he is the next Mariano Rivera, sadly for them he is not. Trade him to a contender and get some better everyday players and replace Bednar with any relief pitcher and make them the closer.

In a sense that's true, but they will replace him with a stiff from another team and calim that he is the next super star utility player.

No, they are going to replace Newman with one of several guys that they already have that are not only better than Newman, they are cheaper than him (always a big consideration for the Pirates). Why on earth would you bring back an older guy that you know is never going to be even an average major leaguer when you have several young guys that you need to give some major league at bats to to try to find out what you have in them?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'll take that because those two guys have the potential to hit 80+ HR's next year.
And Slovis has the arm to be a 1st round draft pick. The odd’s of that happening are probably better than the odds of the Pirates signing Bellinger, and then him and Cruz combining for 80 HR’s.

Your Topic and 1st sentence don't go together. "Yawn". So it is not "big news" now right? I don't think anyone covered it more than a second.

No, they are going to replace Newman with one of several guys that they already have that are not only better than Newman, they are cheaper than him (always a big consideration for the Pirates). Why on earth would you bring back an older guy that you know is never going to be even an average major leaguer when you have several young guys that you need to give some major league at bats to to try to find out what you have in them?
That has been the Pirates approach for years, the problem is replacing average MLB everyday player with another RP is the problem.

And Slovis has the arm to be a 1st round draft pick. The odd’s of that happening are probably better than the odds of the Pirates signing Bellinger, and then him and Cruz combining for 80 HR’s.
Whether Slovis has the arm to be a 1st round draft pick or not isn't relevant. The reality of it is, the Pirates DO have a chance to sign Bellinger. All they have to do is want to do it. I fully realize that they will never even consider it, but it is nice to dream right?

That has been the Pirates approach for years, the problem is replacing average MLB everyday player with another RP is the problem.

Which average MLB everyday player did the Pirates trade? Because Newman doesn't fit that description, he never has fit that description, and at this point it would take a minor miracle for him to ever fit that description.

When you trade low level players that are barely holding on to a MLB job you probably shouldn't be expecting to get something good in return.

Whether Slovis has the arm to be a 1st round draft pick or not isn't relevant. The reality of it is, the Pirates DO have a chance to sign Bellinger. All they have to do is want to do it. I fully realize that they will never even consider it, but it is nice to dream right?
You’d be better off dreaming of super models in your bedroom later tonight.

Chance? Sure. He’s a free agent. But No. That’s not how it works. Others have tried to point it out but it’s not a one way street. It’s not crazy to think he’d take less money to play for a good team for 7 years or so. Then maybe he’d sign here when he’s 34 and shot.

Non-tender him? He stinks? He has always played very good defense, and also had the highest batting average of anyone on the team this year.

Non-tender him? He stinks? He has always played very good defense, and also had the highest batting average of anyone on the team this year.

By the defensive metrics his defense was pretty bad this season. His range has never been good. And he doesn't walk and doesn't hit for power, so having a decent batting average just means that offensively he sucks.

He's had one decent season in the majors, in 2019. The last three years he has been a below average to well below average player. That's the reason that he brought so little back in trade. Do you really think that there was some team out there who would have offered the Pirates a really good player in return, but the Pirates said nah, no thanks, we are going to go with the lottery ticket reliever if you don't mind?

Seriously?

Which average MLB everyday player did the Pirates trade? Because Newman doesn't fit that description, he never has fit that description, and at this point it would take a minor miracle for him to ever fit that description.

When you trade low level players that are barely holding on to a MLB job you probably shouldn't be expecting to get something good in return

I do think that Kevin Newman fits the description of an average MLB that has the ability to play 2B, SS, 3B and the OF if needed. The man has a MLB career average of.260 which is decent for a player that plays multiple positions.. Just an FYI...in 2019 he hit .308 with 20 2B, 6 3B and 12 HR's.
I guess that season alone fits that description.

Chance? Sure. He’s a free agent. But No. That’s not how it works. Others have tried to point it out but it’s not a one way street. It’s not crazy to think he’d take less money to play for a good team for 7 years or so. Then maybe he’d sign here when he’s 34 and shot.
Sure there is a chance, just like every other MLB team has. If the Pirates ever want to contend in the near future, they have to open up the purse and spend some money. Every other organization spends, the Pirates don't. Then they have the gall to complain about attendance being down and that's why they can't spend more money.

The man has a MLB career average of.260 which is decent for a player that plays multiple positions

And on OBP of .303, which is far more important than batting average, and which is well below average. And a slugging percentage of .357, which is far more important than batting average, and which is well below average.

Everyone knew the Pirates were likely to trade him, and yet the best offer they got was a middling relief pitcher from a team that finished tied with them in the standings. If he was even an average major leaguer don't you think there would have been a higher demand for him, from teams a lot better than the Reds?

Can the dude we drafted in the first round last year be moved to the OF? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's still a logjam in the middle infield as long as we're still pretending Cruz is a shortstop. Actually, we should let 6'7" Cruz continue to play short and move 5'10" Nick Gonzales (if and when he gets to the big show) to first base. Just because we're the Battling Buccos.

Bellinger reportedly will earn 22 Mil this coming year. No way the Buccos do that.

But, we signed a reliever named Webb who had a 9.99 ERA over 35 innings last year, so watch out league

Bellinger reportedly will earn 22 Mil this coming year.

I don't think he'll get that much. That's several million more than the tender that the Dodgers didn't offer him.

If someone thinks he's worth more than that why didn't the offer the Dodgers a low level conditional player to be named later and see if he'd sign the tender?

Daryle Ward
Jeremy Burnitz
Lyle Overbay
Adam Laroche

All left handed hitters that had success elsewhere. They come to Pittsburgh and put up the worst numbers of their respective careers. It would be no different with Bellinger.

The whole organization is not cursed.....it is infected....with a culture of apathy that eliminates any chance of success.

If bellinger wants to save his career tje last place he should consider is Nuttings Fun House
Dude, I just want to give you a high 5 for playing the Lyle Overbay card!

High5.gif

Reactions: President Stache
ADVERTISEMENT