ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal

It's ruining college football as it's way out of control
It’s ruining soccer also. Especially for high school players. Teams would rather get an experienced player over an inexperienced unproven. In women’s soccer, Last year, teams like Maryland, Michigan state, Kentucky, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Xavier and many others relied on a lot of transfers. MSU was really good this year, they had at least 7 transfers for this season. Maryland had 9, Kentucky had 8. That’s just from one site that could be missing some.
From what coaches are saying, little things are pushing players to the portal. Players are now feeling like they are in control. Sadly, too many players are in the portal now and not enough spots available to land based on what the players think they deserve.

It's ruining college football as it's way out of control

Yep. The ability to transfer without penalty every year is ruining college sports in general. Just look at the basketball team. Who knows, they could be a decent team and something to build on. Then bigger programs poach the best players and we are back to a square one. It’s not as detrimental to football but can still be a momentum killer.

The current environment makes it hard to be a fan. At least for elders like me.

It’s too early in the process to know for sure, but I want to see how this impacts player development over time. Will there be depth on rosters or will guys change programs so much they’ll never learn how to play the game at a high level?

What happens when eventually a player enters the portal but doesn’t land at any school and disappears entirely? It’s going to happen…& This sci-fi portal stuff isn’t without tangible risks ya know?

Yep. The ability to transfer without penalty every year is ruining college sports in general. Just look at the basketball team. Who knows, they could be a decent team and something to build on. Then bigger programs poach the best players and we are back to a square one. It’s not as detrimental to football but can still be a momentum killer.

The current environment makes it hard to be a fan. At least for elders like me.
Exactly right ,the big schools poach our best players ,then we poach a lower class best players where does it end

What happens when eventually a player enters the portal but doesn’t land at any school and disappears entirely? It’s going to happen…& This sci-fi portal stuff isn’t without tangible risks ya know?
You bring up a really good point. A lot of coaches won’t allow a player to return if he enters the portal.

Here’s the first article I saw after a quick search. It suggests that x amount of players are “still in the portal” by conference. I’m guessing they didn’t find a new home, and are sol?

Last edited:
Reactions: DruidTM
It’s ruining soccer also.

Soccer has had transfers without having to sit out for a long time. Back when my niece was playing she had a teammate who played at Pitt one year and transferred and played with her at Duquesne the next. The rules about not having to sit out a year after transferring didn't change anything for most sports, they simply changed the rules for football and basketball to the same rules that the other sports were already playing under.

Reactions: CJsE and bwh05
Soccer has had transfers without having to sit out for a long time. Back when my niece was playing she had a teammate who played at Pitt one year and transferred and played with her at Duquesne the next. The rules about not having to sit out a year after transferring didn't change anything for most sports, they simply changed the rules for football and basketball to the same rules that the other sports were already playing under.
The soccer portal has exploded.

And that was because those were non-revenue sports, in most cases played by actual student-athletes. So nobody really cared about transferring and it wasn't done with any great frequency, mainly because the majority of those student-athletes are real students and picked the school partly or mostly due to the academic profile. Football and basketball is a business so they didnt allow free transfers to protect the business. Now they do and the business will eventually crumble. They are idiots.

The problem is that college football is a warped minor league football system with emerging stars. They should be playing in a minor league system, getting ready for the NFL, if they can make it. They would be under contract to a team and getting paid accordingly.

Universities should not be involved with minor league sports. These players should be coming out of high school and getting drafted by an NFL team and then playing in Toledo or Erie. Everything happening is just some attempt to make up for the fact this this system is effed.

The soccer portal has exploded.

What the portal, meaning the actual web site, has done is make it a lot easier for the schools to know who is available and who isn't. The actual transfer rules haven't changed at all (for soccer), but now people know that they can put their name in the portal and everyone will know they are available, whereas before it was pretty much all on the players to do all the leg work.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
And that was because those were non-revenue sports, in most cases played by actual student-athletes. So nobody really cared about transferring and it wasn't done with any great frequency, mainly because the majority of those student-athletes are real students and picked the school partly or mostly due to the academic profile. Football and basketball is a business so they didnt allow free transfers to protect the business. Now they do and the business will eventually crumble. They are idiots.

It is really odd to me that you are so adamant that players in the sports that make money should have rights taken away from them that players in sports that don't make money would never have to worry about.

There is a simple, a really simple solution to all this if/when it becomes the problem that you think it will. Employment contracts. As long as the schools refuse to allow those, and in fact fight them tooth and nail, the kids shouldn't have any different rights than players in non-revenue sports, or coaches, or ADs, or any other administrators.

Either sign people to contract or allow them the freedom of movement that everyone else, including you, has.

Word is, he didn’t demand a house in Morgantown, because this is what he would have gotten.

2319555699_bc9caea974_b.jpg

He took his entrance exam over the phone with staff looking up answers on the computer. That guy had some challenges academically
Does Alabama actually do entrance exams?

Are you thinking of "placement" exam where they determine if you take credit courses or remedial courses.

I don't remember ever doing one to get into PITT.

Does Alabama actually do entrance exams?

Are you thinking of "placement" exam where they determine if you take credit courses or remedial courses.

I don't remember ever doing one to get into PITT.
I know he took remedial courses at CV and a lot of people looked after him. That was part of the deal of going to Alabama according to his mom. They would tailor it to the special education program and he would get extra assistance. I know some people that are very tight to that situation and I feel bad for what he had to go through. He had a very dysfunctional upbringing to put it politely.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I think there’s been a player lost in portal already… no records of his destination and no one can locate him anywhere… TE Mark Schubb… gone just poof… someone should have warned him of the dangers…

I think there’s been a player lost in portal already… no records of his destination and no one can locate him anywhere… TE Mark Schubb… gone just poof… someone should have warned him of the dangers…

Wasn't he lost at sea at one point?

It’s not “ruining” college sports. It’s just making our entertainment less than what we want. We want to see Kenny Pickett and James Conner type guys that become part of the fabric of the university and city.

But we are still watching. And as long as that is the case, things will always trend towards what the actual players want. And you can’t say it’s being ruined if those two things continue to be at all time highs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT