ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal

What the portal, meaning the actual web site, has done is make it a lot easier for the schools to know who is available and who isn't. The actual transfer rules haven't changed at all (for soccer), but now people know that they can put their name in the portal and everyone will know they are available, whereas before it was pretty much all on the players to do all the leg work.
Sure, thanks to technology there is a website, but it is out of control. I have some friends that coach D1 soccer and talked to them recently. They didn’t say it’s a good thing for them or most players. Sure the top legit players land somewhere, but all those other players jumping on the trend find themselves dropping divisions or not getting what they think they will get. It’s like ETSY. If you want a cutting board there are now 15,000 sellers for cutting boards. 10 years ago there were 50. In that 15,000 are some amazing woodworkers not being seen.

Reactions: pittdan77
This makes it difficult for high school players, and players that are trying to develop into the system

Out of the 1,000+ in the portal. Wonder the split between opportunity for a bigger role or opportunity for bigger NIL package.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Sure, thanks to technology there is a website, but it is out of control. I have some friends that coach D1 soccer and talked to them recently. They didn’t say it’s a good thing for them or most players. Sure the top legit players land somewhere, but all those other players jumping on the trend find themselves dropping divisions or not getting what they think they will get. It’s like ETSY. If you want a cutting board there are now 15,000 sellers for cutting boards. 10 years ago there were 50. In that 15,000 are some amazing woodworkers not being seen.

But the rules haven't changed. There are simply more players taking advantage of the rule that was already in place.

As far as players not getting what they want and having to drop divisions, well, the callous side of me says "welcome to the real world". I would image that a lot of what is going on right now is related to both the newness of the ease of getting your name out there and the residual effects of the extra covid year, and that at some point things will settle down at least somewhat. But if they don't and some kids screw up and end up not getting what they want, well, you know.

But the rules haven't changed. There are simply more players taking advantage of the rule that was already in place.

As far as players not getting what they want and having to drop divisions, well, the callous side of me says "welcome to the real world". I would image that a lot of what is going on right now is related to both the newness of the ease of getting your name out there and the residual effects of the extra covid year, and that at some point things will settle down at least somewhat. But if they don't and some kids screw up and end up not getting what they want, well, you know.
My point is simple. Players are bolting because it’s too easy to leave now. And they are leaving for far more reasons than a coach leaves or they hated the school. It’s every little micro reason now.

My point is simple. Players are bolting because it’s too easy to leave now. And they are leaving for far more reasons than a coach leaves or they hated the school. It’s every little micro reason now.

I completely agree that lots of players are leaving. So what?

And I mean that seriously, so what? If someone doesn't want to be at a school any longer, why should they have to stay? If someone makes a dumb decision and leaves a school when they shouldn't have, so what? Or if they have every reason in the world to leave and they go, so what? Why shouldn't the players have the same right that everyone else has to try to go somewhere else if that's what they want to do?

Reactions: PittPharm2002

And I mean that seriously, so what? If someone doesn't want to be at a school any longer, why should they have to stay? If someone makes a dumb decision and leaves a school when they shouldn't have, so what? Or if they have every reason in the world to leave and they go, so what? Why shouldn't the players have the same right that everyone else has to try to go somewhere else if that's what they want to do?
It’s not a good thing for recruiting, for colleges, for anyone really.

This is it exactly .
I do not understand the angst at all

Sure it is
Yon have two pools to recruit from .
Stop it
It’s not that simple. Go talk to a D1 college soccer coach and ask them how they feel about the portal. Ask a high school coach.
Covid year screwed up recruiting for 2022 and 2023 high school players. During that time the portal started to blow up. It is causing issues for high school kids all over the country, scholarship availability, roster turnover, kids leaving left and right causing programs to bail on high school kids while looking to the portal instead. Coaches planning for next season and find players not expected to leave, leave. It’s not a good thing at all. Ask Pitt basketball how roster turnover is helping. How about Pitt QB situation. No matter how many times you to try and make it seem positive, it isn’t.

It’s not that simple. Go talk to a D1 college soccer coach and ask them how they feel about the portal. Ask a high school coach.
Covid year screwed up recruiting for 2022 and 2023. During that time the portal started to blow up. It is causing issues for high school kids, scholarship availability, roster turnover, kids leaving left and right causing programs to bail on high school kids while looking to the portal instead. Coaches planning for next season and find players not expected to leave, leave. It’s not a good thing at all. Ask Pitt basketball how roster turnover is helping. How about Pitt QB situation. No matter how many times to try and make it seem positive, it isn’t.
It is that simple
Roster turnover has helped pitt basketball this season tremendously .
Imagine this team without Hinson , ff, Nelly , and Elliot !!?

It’s not a good thing for recruiting, for colleges, for anyone really.
It really doesn't matter if it's good or bad. It's reality and it's not something that the NCAA was going to be able to stop.

D1 athletics, revenue or non-revenue, are run like a business. Coaches require a massive commitment of time and energy from these kids. Yeah, there are tons of cool perks like free gear and being coddled a little. The stakes are pretty high for everyone involved and holding kids hostage to a program doesn't serve a useful purpose.

What happens when eventually a player enters the portal but doesn’t land at any school and disappears entirely? It’s going to happen…& This sci-fi portal stuff isn’t without tangible risks ya know?
2e45dc32e04e4e9b51fbeea9dfc8dc73.jpg

It is that simple
Roster turnover has helped pitt basketball this season tremendously .
Imagine this team without Hinson , ff, Nelly , and Elliot !!?
Helped a ton last night in a loss to Vandy. Helped with the loss to WVU, Michigan, and VCU. Teams like this were beat by Pitt before this circus we call the portal.
Again, talk to coaches that deal with the portal. See how they really feel about it. Talk to high school coaches, ask them.
I assume if the portal is really helping Pitt basketball we will be making it to the NCAA tournament this year.

Helped a ton last night in a loss to Vandy. Helped with the loss to WVU, Michigan, and VCU. Teams like this were beat by Pitt before this circus we call the portal.
Again, talk to coaches that deal with the portal. See how they really feel about it. Talk to high school coaches, ask them.
I assume if the portal is really helping Pitt basketball we will be making it to the NCAA tournament this year.
I don’t need to talk to them
Their jobs are both harder and easier
That’s what they are paid for

You’ll have to learn to adapt to reality .

It’s worked great for volleyball, and both soccer squads
And yes so far Capel’s team is substantially better because of the transfers .
Stop it .

The portal is turning backups at one school into starters at other schools. It is turning D1 backups into D2 starters, D2 backups into D3 starters, D3 starters to D3 backups and D3 backups into intramural and club starters

So Pitt hoops was alright until the Portal?!? Bro Kevin Stallings exists.

I don’t need to talk to them
Their jobs are both harder and easier
That’s what they are paid for

You’ll have to learn to adapt to reality .

It’s worked great for volleyball, and both soccer squads
And yes so far Capel’s team is substantially better because of the transfers .
Stop it .
What the hell is with you and the stop it crap.
If you haven’t talked to coaches, you are not informed. Soccer has foreign players, completely different discussion.
So I say to you, stop it. I’ll eat my words when Pitt basketball kills it in the ACC and NCAA thanks to transfers.

When Pitt was successful in the big East, the portal was pretty much nonexistent. And the trend now is not showing Pitt benefiting.
Pitt football was successful when players wore leather helmets. Maybe we should go back to those too?

The trend of bad coaches, poor recruiting, and questionable character players has not benefited them either.

Reactions: pittdan77
When Pitt was successful in the big East, the portal was pretty much nonexistent. And the trend now is not showing Pitt benefiting.

I get the larger point you are making, in that some ways things are better and some ways they certainly are worse. But arguing that the portal hasn't helped Pitt basketball is just arguing to argue. Without the portal this season would surely be the worst Pitt team in a very long time, like decades. Worse than Stallings 0-18 bunch. They are only competitive at the level that they are because of the portal.

Better doesn't mean great, it simply means better.

I get the larger point you are making, in that some ways things are better and some ways they certainly are worse. But arguing that the portal hasn't helped Pitt basketball is just arguing to argue. Without the portal this season would surely be the worst Pitt team in a very long time, like decades. Worse than Stallings 0-18 bunch. They are only competitive at the level that they are because of the portal.

Better doesn't mean great, it simply means better.
An obvious fact , but he’s dug in

An obvious fact , but he’s dug in
Vandy lost at home to grambling state. Tell me again how much better the basketball team is thanks to the portal. You make it sound like the portal is making ur an ACC contender. The team is still bad.
I’ll ask you again, since you are dug in also, have you talked to college coaches about the portal?

Vandy lost at home to grambling state. Tell me again how much better the basketball team is thanks to the portal. You make it sound like the portal is making ur an ACC contender. The team is still bad.
I’ll ask you again, since you are dug in also, have you talked to college coaches about the portal?
Our best players are transfers .
Stop it ya silly goose

Why would I be talking to college coaches ? My son is 10.
If their jobs are so hard they should leave coaching

Pitt beat NCSU by 8 on the road and Kansas only won by 6 on a neutral court so clearly by your rationale it proves we are improved by transfers

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT