ADVERTISEMENT

The QB

GreatBear71

Scholarship
May 9, 2005
I think Narduzzi is starting Slovis for 1 and ONLY 1 reason. THE PORTAL. As time marches on, each coach will have a resume on what they do with these transfers. They HAVE to keep their word as to what they PROMISE. Also, i did some research on this kid, and he had a concussion his senior yr in high school, and he had one his sophomore year at USC. After another one in the Tennessee game this year, he is plain SCARED. I do not blame him. Cignetti has to devise an offense that will mimimize this. It is too bad all these kids who came back in the OL did not all play together this yr due to injuries. Kenny lifted this program to the ACC championship, and Slovis robbed us, along with Cignetti, of at least a COastal win. Maye from North Carolina is lifting the Tar Heels this year. Discuss........

I know it may sound crazy, but it is possible that Narduzzi is starting him because even with his faults and poor play, he is by far their best guy right now. That is another topic but Slovis likely is the best guy on the team by far.

I know it may sound crazy, but it is possible that Narduzzi is starting him because even with his faults and poor play, he is by far their best guy right now. That is another topic but Slovis likely is the best guy on the team by far.
Not crazy at all. I think he had better players at Southern Cal. This team was still built to be Air Kenny Pickett. Addison saw what Cignetti , with Narduzzi's wishes, was going to do and become a running team, but it takes a season or 2 to do that, Narduzzi has been blased nationally for being pissed off oon HOW we scored, by the air. Hey, we WON!.

I think Narduzzi is starting Slovis for 1 and ONLY 1 reason. THE PORTAL. As time marches on, each coach will have a resume on what they do with these transfers. They HAVE to keep their word as to what they PROMISE. Also, i did some research on this kid, and he had a concussion his senior yr in high school, and he had one his sophomore year at USC. After another one in the Tennessee game this year, he is plain SCARED. I do not blame him. Cignetti has to devise an offense that will mimimize this. It is too bad all these kids who came back in the OL did not all play together this yr due to injuries. Kenny lifted this program to the ACC championship, and Slovis robbed us, along with Cignetti, of at least a COastal win. Maye from North Carolina is lifting the Tar Heels this year. Discuss........
IMO he definitely uses Slovis at this point to show future QB transfers that they’ll be handed the job. Ironically at the same time he’s planning to use Slovis next year as well, so he won’t have to try hard to attract a different transfer QB in the offseason

So by relentlessly keeping Slovis in there he’s trying to keep KS chin up…replacing KS for Patti now (with the season effectively over), and Patti (who will be leaving) outperforming Slovis, will do Duz no good at all for next season. There’s no chance to win anything meaningful, and by going with Patti, Slovis may well give up on himself here and do a DiNucci and transfer down. Then, Duz will have to go groveling in the portal again, and that would just inconvenience his off-season.

Sorry got the snark. It’s just a ridiculous waste of a great opportunity this season and a real shame.

Last edited:
He needed to simply be a passing team again, but that goes against the blood of coaches like Narduzzi and Wanny, who want to run and control the clock. Defense first. That style is becoming more and more Stone Age in college football
THIS SEASON was a ridiculous waste AND a REAL shame. Hard to swollow.

He needed to simply be a passing team again, but that goes against the blood of coaches like Narduzzi and Wanny, who want to run and control the clock. Defense first. That style is becoming more and more Stone Age in college football

The game won’t even allow that kind of strategy to work. Every well defended pass is defensive PI. Breathe on the QB and it’s a PF. Every other tough hit is “targeting”. Offensive holding is rampant and is rarely called. 51-49 games are the ideal. The last thing this high flying entertainment oriented business wants is the 13-12 games that Duz dreams of.

Yep. You know, you never hear from Heather Lyke. SHE is the one who has Narduzzi signed up until 2030. and I think Capel until 2026. Too expensive to make a change.

He is starting Slovis for only one reason, he gives them the best chance to win. If he is the best they have next year then he will start again. It’s really that simple

There’s a handful of passing plays he semi comfortable with. The rest are fire alarms. Maybe it’s coaching but on plays with good protection he makes too many wrong reads. And on others he needlessly moves out of pocket right. I still say he’s too small and struggles to see over line when pushed. Did he really have 30 td?

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
But what makes that infuriating is that there is a such thing called the West Coast offense. You can throw quick passes to get first downs and run the ball to set up play action down the seams. That old school Bill Walsh offense definitely did ball control and Andy Reid’s version Can also do ball control if needed. I think the best version of it is Sean Payton where he can use the two back system to control the clock but it also sets up big plays down the field. I have no idea why Cignetti would decide to throw out all the passing concepts with Mark Whipple and just add a few runs. It’s head scratching

Reactions: TheChair
But what makes that infuriating is that there is a such thing called the West Coast offense. You can throw quick passes to get first downs and run the ball to set up play action down the seams. That old school Bill Walsh offense definitely did ball control and Andy Reid’s version Can also do ball control if needed. I think the best version of it is Sean Payton where he can use the two back system to control the clock but it also sets up big plays down the field. I have no idea why Cignetti would decide to throw out all the passing concepts with Mark Whipple and just add a few runs. It’s head scratching
It’s more head scratching to me that Narduzzi would hire a guy that would move away from an offense that you just spent the past 3 years installing. I think that getting a guy to run the same thing is almost impossible given that Whipple does not have a large coaching tree that I know of but some sake of continuity with offense would have made a lot of sense. Especially since it ended up being overly successful.

To me, that is Narduzzi’s greatest failing as a coach at Pitt. He has a great defensive structure that he can oversee. But he has not gotten a handle of putting the same thing in place on offense and the constant resets have set the program back some because the offense largely has lagged the defense solidly.

Chaney and Canada understandably screwed him over due to job opportunity and Watson just was not good. But, Whipple did build, he put something solid in place and to move largely away from it after it was very successful seems poor tactically.

I have some confidence that Cignetti will be fine over the long run but I think to the extent he is around 3-4 years and then goes, it would make sense to bring in someone that carries the principles forward provide he leaves with something successful in place. If he is done after this or next year, it does not matter. But if he stays on and they get much better, it would make sense to not completely turn it over with the next hire.

Reactions: boseman7
I have some confidence that Cignetti will be fine over the long run but I think to the extent he is around 3-4 years and then goes, it would make sense to bring in someone that carries the principles forward provide he leaves with something successful in place. If he is done after this or next year, it does not matter. But if he stays on and they get much better, it would make sense to not completely turn it over with the next hire.
Where is Cignetti going to go after 3-4 years? He's not going to get a better job over Pitt and it would either be getting fired, a mutual parting ways, or retirement.

Funny how Duzz does not implement an offense that a defense has trouble with. Never could figure that out. Ask Duzz what kind of offense drives him nuts to stop. That’s what you’d think he’d implement. Unless he doesn’t think he can recruit the type of players needed.

It’s more head scratching to me that Narduzzi would hire a guy that would move away from an offense that you just spent the past 3 years installing. I think that getting a guy to run the same thing is almost impossible given that Whipple does not have a large coaching tree that I know of but some sake of continuity with offense would have made a lot of sense. Especially since it ended up being overly successful.

To me, that is Narduzzi’s greatest failing as a coach at Pitt. He has a great defensive structure that he can oversee. But he has not gotten a handle of putting the same thing in place on offense and the constant resets have set the program back some because the offense largely has lagged the defense solidly.

Chaney and Canada understandably screwed him over due to job opportunity and Watson just was not good. But, Whipple did build, he put something solid in place and to move largely away from it after it was very successful seems poor tactically.

I agree with that perfectly. People in the know were laughing behind his back on cutting down a system that was so explosive. I think it was a perosnal grudge with Whipple. Narduzzi wanted the kind of game we had yesterday with Syracuse and show case it to Whipple. You do not completely undo what we had.

Reactions: boseman7
Well, the problem with that theory is that we saw Yarnell (he of the ACC rookie of the week fame) play, what do you think? Does he meet the "by far" standard of not be being close to Slovis?

how does schitting the bed against 22 point underdogs show on a resume to prospective transfers?

Just like Tino was starting because he was the best QB on the roster. 99.9% of the time, the coaches play the best QB on the roster.

Funny how Duzz does not implement an offense that a defense has trouble with. Never could figure that out. Ask Duzz what kind of offense drives him nuts to stop. That’s what you’d think he’d implement. Unless he doesn’t think he can recruit the type of players needed.
That’s a great point. I’ve wondered the same thing. You’d think Duzz would know by now the big-time advantage that a mobile QB gives an offense…. He shouldn’t even be looking at “statuesque” pocket-passers for a team like Pitt…

Go Pitt.

That’s a great point. I’ve wondered the same thing. You’d think Duzz would know by now the big-time advantage that a mobile QB gives an offense…. He shouldn’t even be looking at “statuesque” pocket-passers for a team like Pitt…

Go Pitt.
A mobile QB is the easiest way to run the ball. It would make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT