ADVERTISEMENT

The reaction to the potential of Stallings is why Dixon left

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
What an entitled group of yinzers we have in our fan base. Stallings has been a fairly successful head coach for over 20 years yet he's not good enough for Pitt? Get over yourselves. This is the same reaction Oregon fans had to Dana Altman and he ended up being the best coach they have had. I'd be glad to have him as head coach. Way better than a 1 or 2 year flash in the pan.

What an entitled group of yinzers we have in our fan base. Stallings has been a fairly successful head coach for over 20 years yet he's not good enough for Pitt? Get over yourselves. This is the same reaction Oregon fans had to Dana Altman and he ended up being the best coach they have had. I'd be glad to have him as head coach. Way better than a 1 or 2 year flash in the pan.
HUH???

I appreciate your perspective. Save this post. Hopefully you can use it later.

Altman was younger and had more success at the time. Did u look at Stallings record the last 5 years?

Stallings is not a "fairly successful" coach.

7 NCAA tourney appearances in 17 years.... in a conference that is easy to finish in the top 3.

56 years old.

And what he did to Sheldon Jeter should disqualify him from consideration at Pitt, of all places.

There are two dozen possible coaches that are better than Stallings.

If you like him.... let's just say that you're on an island.

Couldn't imagine a more off base opinion or worse example.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickPanthers
Altman was good at creighton.

Stallings at vandy makes Dixon's last 5 years like hof worthy.
His last sweet sixteen? 2006.

He's old and an asshole who can't win in a week conference.

Altman is 10x more attractive than your boy.

I didn't know Jeter was loved so much lol.

I don't care for this new guy telling a player "I will kill you", that is a definite red flag, along with the Jeter situation I am more concerned with him being an idiot over him being an unqualified coach.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
Couldn't imagine a more of base opinion or worse example.
Well our AD is considering him but I'm the one here who is crazy for thinking he would be a good hire? Look, I had and still have hopes for Enfield but if it ends up being Stallings I don't think it's as bad as some think.

Well our AD is considering him but I'm the one here who is crazy for thinking he would be a good hire? Look, I had and still have hopes for Enfield but if it ends up being Stallings I don't think it's as bad as some think.
Empty seats can't be ignored. If Jamie's results was causing no-shows, Stallings might convince Pitt's administration to start tarping The Pete.

3b4dc2ae6d0d04f6e1e3adf691941ee6.png

Have you been watching the games?

Wow.

I did some editing for you:

What an entitled group of yinzers we have in our fan base. Dixon had been a very successful head coach here for over 10 years yet he was not good enough for Pitt anymore? Get over yourselves.

Well I was wrong... bad hire as time has proven. There, everyone happy?

But I still stick by the entitled fan base comment. It was an embarrassment how the Media and many fans of this program skewered someone who said “yes” to coming to Pitt.

But I still stick by the entitled fan base comment. It was an embarrassment how the Media and many fans of this program skewered someone who said “yes” to coming to Pitt.
Sorry JD. Didn't realize your original comment was from back in 2016. I thought you had put that out there today hence my shock.

Reactions: mbrannagan

Except he was a proven bad coach and he tried to blame recruiting on Vandy, but has been awful here.

The entitled bunch of yinzers who felt that they deserved better definitely applied to our fanbase in Jamie's last few years.
Kevin Stallings may prove to be solid (if not spectacular), but he was NOT the "Splash" hire the cut & run AD promised,

Except he was a proven bad coach and he tried to blame recruiting on Vandy, but has been awful here.
I never heard him blame anything or anybody about recruiting at Vandy . Stating that the academic requirements their made it harder to recruit is just stating the facts . Whether they loosened their requirements now that he left I don’t know , but Vanderbilt is a much more difficult school to gain admission to , similiar to the top end Ivy’s . Pitt should be an easier school to recruit to , but with all the vitriol surrounding the program and his hire I’m sure it’s quite challenging .
I know if I was a school going up against Pitt for a kid I’d refer him to Pitts message boards we're doing a fine job of promoting Pitt bb .

I never heard him blame anything or anybody about recruiting at Vandy . Stating that the academic requirements their made it harder to recruit is just stating the facts . Whether they loosened their requirements now that he left I don’t know , but Vanderbilt is a much more difficult school to gain admission to , similiar to the top end Ivy’s . Pitt should be an easier school to recruit to , but with all the vitriol surrounding the program and his hire I’m sure it’s quite challenging .
I know if I was a school going up against Pitt for a kid I’d refer him to Pitts message boards we're doing a fine job of promoting Pitt bb .
This entire post is laughable.

I'm very aware of Vanderbilt's standing and also aware of the rigor for athletic admissions. They were loosened years ago. They might not be NCAA minimums for every player, but they could still get most players. They certainly haven't loosened them more since Stallings left. That is ridiculous to suggest.

The vitriol and message boards are not unique. Pitt fans who think that are unbelievable.

I'm very aware of Vanderbilt's standing and also aware of the rigor for athletic admissions. They were loosened years ago. They might not be NCAA minimums for every player, but they could still get most players. They certainly haven't loosened them more since Stallings left. That is ridiculous to suggest.

The vitriol and message boards are not unique. Pitt fans who think that are unbelievable.
Getting in and being able to stay I guess are no considerations in your analysis . You can’t hide kids in a school the size of Vanderbilt 6800 students with a gpa average of 3.8 and SAT scores of 1500 .
I doubt that their are more toxic broads than Pitts .
When’s the last post that you said anything positive ?

Any time a coach blames academic standards I assume they're looking for an excuse.

Or do you think Vandy would have turned down say, the #1 recruit in the nation because his SAT score was a bit low?

Any time a coach blames academic standards I assume they're looking for an excuse.

Or do you think Vandy would have turned down say, the #1 recruit in the nation because his SAT score was a bit low?
Well first off the #1 recruit isn’t going to Vandy or Pitt . Those guys are one and dones and only need to stay eligible one semester . I think anyone going to Vanderbilt might be interested in an education . Not every school sells out to winning at all costs . Pitt happens to be one of them .
I don’t follow Vanderbilt sports but a small school which is populated by brainiacs doesn’t sound like a place for an athelete whose goal is a professional career in sports now does it ?

Well first off the #1 recruit isn’t going to Vandy or Pitt . Those guys are one and dones and only need to stay eligible one semester . I think anyone going to Vanderbilt might be interested in an education . Not every school sells out to winning at all costs . Pitt happens to be one of them .
I don’t follow Vanderbilt sports but a small school which is populated by brainiacs doesn’t sound like a place for an athelete whose goal is a professional career in sports now does it ?
LOL - Vandy has the #7 and #18 overall players coming in next year. Go back into your vault of excuses.

There actually may be some legitimacy to the OP. Why did Dixon flake out when we left for the ACC? Maybe he new that he built up expectations for the program that would not be realistic in the ACC and the fans were going to make life too miserable to stay here long term?

It is amazing to me that people think this. Outside of the very best programs, go to any message board and you will find plenty of people who want the coach fired after every loss.

There actually may be some legitimacy to the OP. Why did Dixon flake out when we left for the ACC? Maybe he new that he built up expectations for the program that would not be realistic in the ACC and the fans were going to make life too miserable to stay here long term?
Does it make sense to be upset at a coach who exceeded the expectations that people have currently put in place for the new coach? It appears that most people on here would be happy with 1 NIT and 1 NCAA Tournament in 5 years under Stallings. The bar is continually moved by some.

Does it make sense to be upset at a coach who exceeded the expectations that people have currently put in place for the new coach? It appears that most people on here would be happy with 1 NIT and 1 NCAA Tournament in 5 years under Stallings. The bar is continually moved by some.
It makes perfect sense if you feel that Dixon's program was trending badly and needed a rebuild to get it back on solid footing. Regardless of whether it is an accurate assessment or not, moving the bar is perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: FireballZ
It makes perfect sense if you feel that Dixon's program was trending badly and needed a rebuild to get it back on solid footing. Regardless of whether it is an accurate assessment or not, moving the bar is perfectly reasonable.
So we went from making the NCAA or NIT almost every year for 15 years to hoping we make the NIT. It makes no sense.

Reactions: rockypanther

Well, the #7 player is going there. But whether or not Pitt or Vandy can regularly land top 10 prospects is not the discussion here. What we're talking about is using the guise of academics to excuse poor recruiting.

If an elite athlete wanted to play football or basketball at Vanderbilt but wasn't an academic giant, the school would find a way to make sure they attended.

Getting in and being able to stay I guess are no considerations in your analysis . You can’t hide kids in a school the size of Vanderbilt 6800 students with a gpa average of 3.8 and SAT scores of 1500 .
I doubt that their are more toxic broads than Pitts .
When’s the last post that you said anything positive ?
Well, yes, yes you can, but that is not the issue and was just an excuse. Look at the recruiting under (another) a guy who would have been a better hire for us.

I say positive things all the time. I just am not a lemming. Pitt's message boards are not unique.

Alabama's boards are more "negative" than Pitt's if judged by the same criteria. Why? Because they care and are fanatics. More importantly, how much can you discuss "Man, Calvin Ridley is really, really good." vs. "why isn't there a WR stepping up next to Calvin Ridley" or "Why didn't they switch to Tua sooner", etc. The topics which the homers flag as "negative" are the topics actually worth discussing. That is true even when you have won National Championships 5 of the last 9 years.

BTW, this:
LOL - Vandy has the #7 and #18 overall players coming in next year. Go back into your vault of excuses.

Miraculously the new coach has a top 5 class with the #6,14, and 62 players in the country committed and signed for 2018.

Reactions: rockypanther
Well, yes, yes you can, but that is not the issue and was just an excuse. Look at the recruiting under (another) a guy who would have been a better hire for us.

I say positive things all the time. I just am not a lemming. Pitt's message boards are not unique.

Alabama's boards are more "negative" than Pitt's if judged by the same criteria. Why? Because they care and are fanatics. More importantly, how much can you discuss "Man, Calvin Ridley is really, really good." vs. "why isn't there a WR stepping up next to Calvin Ridley" or "Why didn't they switch to Tua sooner", etc. The topics which the homers flag as "negative" are the topics actually worth discussing. That is true even when you have won National Championships 5 of the last 9 years.

BTW, this:

Miraculously the new coach has a top 5 class with the #6,14, and 62 players in the country committed and signed for 2018.
I don’t follow other schools recruiting , but if a new coach comes into Pitt and signs the # 6,14 , & 62 rated recruits I know exactly how’s he doing it .

Unless you really are an Ivy League school, and even then it's questionable, academic standards at 99% of all schools for athletes is quite relaxed compared to the general student body. That obviously includes Vandy. When I hear those excuses about his recruiting, that makes me laugh. Let's face it: athletes have a totally different set of standards for admission and retention than real students. That applies at Vandy, at Pitt, and at most all schools. If most of these so-called student-athletes were made to go to class and perform in the classroom with real courses, they'd fail. There are always exceptions. But they are rare.

I don't think a poster on this message board would sway a recruit one way or the other. That is ridiculous. Especially with the current perception of Stallings and our program nationally. It's also beyond ridiculous how you make every excuse possible for Stallings. Seriously, blaming a message board? LOL!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT