ADVERTISEMENT

The RIU Game

Snyder412

Walk-on
Gold Member
May 6, 2019
The more this season progresses the more frustrated and upset I get about the Rhode Island game. I just don't understand running Izzy for 170+ yards. I also don't get all the bubble screens thrown. Why not open up the passing game against a team like this? Try some things out. Try to get all the receivers, Slovis, O-Line, all on the same page. Instead they run Izzy and put more mileage on him and now he's hurt.

The more this season progresses the more frustrated and upset I get about the Rhode Island game. I just don't understand running Izzy for 170+ yards. I also don't get all the bubble screens thrown. Why not open up the passing game against a team like this? Try some things out. Try to get all the receivers, Slovis, O-Line, all on the same page. Instead they run Izzy and put more mileage on him and now he's hurt.
Izzy got nicked trying to recover a loose ball vs Georgia Tech.

No idea as to why the game plan vs URI was what it was. But Izzy’s current injury has nothing at all to do with the URI game.

Izzy got nicked trying to recover a loose ball vs Georgia Tech.

No idea as to why the game plan vs URI was what it was. But Izzy’s current injury has nothing at all to do with the URI game.

Yeah, it doesn't... but it was still absurd to take that risk with the way we're dropping like flies this season and already down a back. Him returning kickoffs against Rhode Island was just about the height of insanity.

If I was a conspiracy theory kind of Pitt fan, I would say it almost felt like Narduzzi was trying to jack his stats up to have something to point to in order to justify this offensive overhaul.

Reactions: 4382 and Snyder412
Yeah, it doesn't... but it was still absurd to take that risk with the way we're dropping like flies this season and already down a back. Him returning kickoffs against Rhode Island was just about the height of insanity.

If I was a conspiracy theory kind of Pitt fan, I would say it almost felt like Narduzzi was trying to jack his stats up to have something to point to in order to justify this offensive overhaul.
“Yeah it doesn’t”. . .
Those are the only words relevant to the OP responded to.

The injury bug can hit any player at any time, vs any opponent.

Reactions: Hayekr

Having him return kicks has been crazy - and he isn't even very good at it. He averages 18.5 yards on 11 kick returns.

Why are you focusing on his high yardage total and not his actual touches? He only had 19 carries in the RIU game. That's not particularly onerous for a No. 1 running back, and his yardage was so high primarily because he blew though several holes practically untouched.

It's just not the HC's or OC's mentality to do that. Narduzzi has brought consistency but he was also incredibly lucky last season to have the best QB and WR in the country playing for him... and he STILL LOST to Western Michigan by being outcoached and stubborn. That team should have probably gone 11-1.

The gameplan for GT tells me what I need to know, and it's not good. I'm afraid they will keep forcing the garbage offensive gameplans which are sure fire ways to keep bad teams in the games.

Almost every single poster here knows Pitt needs to open things up more, especially with the number one transfer QB. Make it easier for him with more options to get open. Instead, Cignetti is coaching afraid. Reminds me of Cavanaugh. They are the types of coaches who tell their QBs "there are no free plays" even when the defense is offsides and every single QB to play the game would take a long pass attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snyder412
Given what we've seen with all of our kick returners this season, we'd be better (and most other teams would be too) to just fair catch everything and take the ball at the 25.
Yeah, I’d say the only time to return a kick is if it’s late in the game and you’re down by more than 1 score so there’s the hope you can get lucky on the return and put a quick score on the board.

Yeah, I’d say the only time to return a kick is if it’s late in the game and you’re down by more than 1 score so there’s the hope you can get lucky on the return and put a quick score on the board.

I'd say even if you are down by less than a score, if there isn't a lot of time left you return it in the hopes that you get a decent return and don't have to go 75 yards in 30 seconds or something like that.

But if you don't have a good kick return unit, and there is no evidence at this point that we have one, then you should just take the 25 yard line almost all of the time.

And hopefully our 'badmouthing" the return team means we'll hit a big one today!

Reactions: NCanton Panther
It's just not the HC's or OC's mentality to do that. Narduzzi has brought consistency but he was also incredibly lucky last season to have the best QB and WR in the country playing for him... and he STILL LOST to Western Michigan by being outcoached and stubborn. That team should have probably gone 11-1.

The gameplan for GT tells me what I need to know, and it's not good. I'm afraid they will keep forcing the garbage offensive gameplans which are sure fire ways to keep bad teams in the games.

Almost every single poster here knows Pitt needs to open things up more, especially with the number one transfer QB. Make it easier for him with more options to get open. Instead, Cignetti is coaching afraid. Reminds me of Cavanaugh. They are the types of coaches who tell their QBs "there are no free plays" even when the defense is offsides and every single QB to play the game would take a long pass attempt.
Yes. Coaching to win 13-10. Except no school holds their opponent under 20 points anymore

Yes. Coaching to win 13-10. Except no school holds their opponent under 20 points anymore

Narduzzi stills has nightmares of last year's 11-3 season and beating two top 5 teams in 2016 in a way that he didn't like. Let's back off the poor guys and let him have his I-formation therapy and 7-5.

ADVERTISEMENT