ADVERTISEMENT

The worst loss in the history of Pitt baseball?

California Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Pitt had a 6-1 lead after 6 innings, a 6-2 lead after 7 innings and lost to UMES today 9-6. UMES is the 295th ranked RPI team, there are only 300 Div 1 baseball teams. So we lost to the 6th worst team in NCAA Div 1 baseball at home. Could there be any worse losses? I remember a Coppin State loss a year or so ago that might rank as the 2nd worst loss.

Forget the NCAAs now, unless a miracle happens, Pitt must concentrate on getting into the ACC tournament now. We're "close" but not in as of now.

Wow.
Yet on Pitts gameday app, it says Pitt won.
I guess they figured it was over when Pitt lead 6-2 after 7 innings. Then Pitt took out the starter and the bullpen proceeded to give up something like 6 hits in a row before even getting anyone out (starter gave up 4 hits in 7 innings)

I guess they figured it was over when Pitt lead 6-2 after 7 innings. Then Pitt took out the starter and the bullpen proceeded to give up something like 6 hits in a row before even getting anyone out (starter gave up 4 hits in 7 innings)
It actually had the score listed as Pitt 9-6.
Now when I scrolled down farther the text did say they lost.

UMES is probably worse than most PSAC teams and the MEAC itself is comparable to the PSAC.

UMES is a historically black university, whose enrollment is only 14% white. With there being so very few D1 caliber African-American baseball players, schoola in the MEAC and SWAC have to have a lot of white players on their roster.......but its such a difficult sell to sign a white player to play in the worst D1 baseball conference at a historically black college. So, often, the white players they get are choosing between MEAC or SWAC baseball and going Division 2. So bases on talent, there isnt a ton of difference between these schools and Cal U, IUP, Slippery Rock, etc.

The sport of baseball have the highest chance at producing upsets at any level but even in saying that, this has to be one of the bigger upsets in the history of Pitt sports. Pitt, who had NCAAT hopes late in the season, lost to a team which would not be a good D2 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT