ADVERTISEMENT

The Wrestling Room - Pitt Visit

Nish67

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
33Rocks, I'm with you on The Wrestling Room as the site name and glad that Chris is in agreement to add it. He is, right? Anyway, this thread is about my visit to Pitt this past Wednesday. Let me preface my comments by saying that I was never this involved with past administrations so I can't comment on what's happened before. Fact of the matter is who cares. It's irrelevant. What matters to long-time wrestling supporters (and hopefully new ones) is whether this administration truly understands what needs to be done to get us back among the top tier programs and, more importantly, is committed and coordinated in its efforts. Net-net, my answer is a resounding YES.

During my 5 hour visit, I was with the coaching staff, the athletic department staff, including the fund raisers like Maureen Anderson and Pat Bostick, supporters of the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club/Regional Training Center (who are among the posters on this site) and Heather Lyke. I know everyone is interested in our new AD. I am very very impressed. She truly gets it and knows her stuff. She brings experience from being a part of a large athletic department with 36 sports (OSU) and a really big budget and balances that with her experience at a small school with limited funds (EMU). Give her a little time and I truly believe all of our sports teams, not just wrestling, will be elevated to a level of excellence we've been waiting for so long.

All the attendees in the meeting understand that to achieve excellence in wrestling we need top coaches, facilities, athletes, training partners/RTC and committed donors. Pitt, led by Lyke, understands that a thriving RTC is a must. Yes, Pitt can't provide funding for an RTC, but they can educate their donors on its importance which, as I understand, was never allowed in the past.

We did a walk-through of the wrestling room and got a detailed explanation of the initial work to be done. Speed is of the essence here and I expect the work will start sometime in June with a projected completion date in the fall. Long-term plans are also being worked on and we'll hear about those soon.

I met all the coaches. You would be impressed by each of them. Coach Gavin is the real deal. They are all young and talented wrestlers in their own right and can get on the mats with our athletes, Gavin at the upper weights and Leen and Headlee at the lower weights. They will be joined by our two new RTC staff - Conor Youtsey, as reported, and Samat Nadyrbek Uulu, from Kyrgyztan. Samat is the #1 wrestler in Kyrgyztan and #5 in the 2015 world rankings at his weight class. He decided to move to the US to get better training and picked Pittsburgh as his new home. Coach Gavin's international appearance helped get Samat on board. Both Samat and Youtsey are lower weight guys so we now can rival any program with our training partners there. Expect the next RTC hire to be a heavyweight. It's more important to get the right guy than rush to just fill a spot so we may not hear anything right away.

If you are interested in donating, and you should, you need to contact Pat Bostick (412-648-8235/pbostick@athletics.pitt.edu. The staff is working on an ongoing communications program and you want to be on that mailing list. The Pittsburgh Wrestling Club/RTC is preparing to send out a mailer as well. Go to www.pittsburghwrestlingclub.com to learn more.

I know we have some nay sayers on this site. I don't know if there's anything I can say to convince you that this time it'll be different. But it will. I'm convinced of that.

Hail to Pitt!

"The Golden Singlet"

33Rocks, I'm with you on The Wrestling Room as the site name and glad that Chris is in agreement to add it. He is, right? Anyway, this thread is about my visit to Pitt this past Wednesday. Let me preface my comments by saying that I was never this involved with past administrations so I can't comment on what's happened before. Fact of the matter is who cares. It's irrelevant. What matters to long-time wrestling supporters (and hopefully new ones) is whether this administration truly understands what needs to be done to get us back among the top tier programs and, more importantly, is committed and coordinated in its efforts. Net-net, my answer is a resounding YES.

During my 5 hour visit, I was with the coaching staff, the athletic department staff, including the fund raisers like Maureen Anderson and Pat Bostick, supporters of the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club/Regional Training Center (who are among the posters on this site) and Heather Lyke. I know everyone is interested in our new AD. I am very very impressed. She truly gets it and knows her stuff. She brings experience from being a part of a large athletic department with 36 sports (OSU) and a really big budget and balances that with her experience at a small school with limited funds (EMU). Give her a little time and I truly believe all of our sports teams, not just wrestling, will be elevated to a level of excellence we've been waiting for so long.

All the attendees in the meeting understand that to achieve excellence in wrestling we need top coaches, facilities, athletes, training partners/RTC and committed donors. Pitt, led by Lyke, understands that a thriving RTC is a must. Yes, Pitt can't provide funding for an RTC, but they can educate their donors on its importance which, as I understand, was never allowed in the past.

We did a walk-through of the wrestling room and got a detailed explanation of the initial work to be done. Speed is of the essence here and I expect the work will start sometime in June with a projected completion date in the fall. Long-term plans are also being worked on and we'll hear about those soon.

I met all the coaches. You would be impressed by each of them. Coach Gavin is the real deal. They are all young and talented wrestlers in their own right and can get on the mats with our athletes, Gavin at the upper weights and Leen and Headlee at the lower weights. They will be joined by our two new RTC staff - Conor Youtsey, as reported, and Samat Nadyrbek Uulu, from Kyrgyztan. Samat is the #1 wrestler in Kyrgyztan and #5 in the 2015 world rankings at his weight class. He decided to move to the US to get better training and picked Pittsburgh as his new home. Coach Gavin's international appearance helped get Samat on board. Both Samat and Youtsey are lower weight guys so we now can rival any program with our training partners there. Expect the next RTC hire to be a heavyweight. It's more important to get the right guy than rush to just fill a spot so we may not hear anything right away.

If you are interested in donating, and you should, you need to contact Pat Bostick (412-648-8235/pbostick@athletics.pitt.edu. The staff is working on an ongoing communications program and you want to be on that mailing list. The Pittsburgh Wrestling Club/RTC is preparing to send out a mailer as well. Go to www.pittsburghwrestlingclub.com to learn more.

I know we have some nay sayers on this site. I don't know if there's anything I can say to convince you that this time it'll be different. But it will. I'm convinced of that.

Hail to Pitt!

"The Golden Singlet"
Great stuff. Very encouraged.

He'll F'ing Yes! Now, if only I had any money to donate.

persp, you'll be a big help if you can pass the word on and get our message in front of others.

Reactions: persp

Hail to Pitt!

"The Golden Singlet"
Well said buddy
It is time! If we do nothing then that is what we get , if we back these guys at pitt athletics and the Pittsburgh wrestling club then we got a shot at something
I have been on board from the beginning and I am excited that people like Nish are out there to help us reach our goals
Thanks Nish for your efforts
I am not sold on that "golden singlet"
Lol
By the way I thought I was clever with the Italianpittbull but crap everyone figured me out
I appreciate all of you on here!!!
Mundo

When you say we have 4 lower weight guys on the staff and the PWC, what do you mean precisely? I hope some of them are in the 149 to 165 pound weights. Wrestlers will wrestle against top-flight wrestlers who are within a couple of weight classes of them. But, we aren't going to attract 149 and 157 pound wrestlers with good 126 pounders.
Look at Cornell's incoming class, ranked #2 nationally. Almost all of their top kids are within 2 weight classes of Dake because they want to work out with and learn from a 4 time NCAA champion.

When you say we have 4 lower weight guys on the staff and the PWC, what do you mean precisely? I hope some of them are in the 149 to 165 pound weights. Wrestlers will wrestle against top-flight wrestlers who are within a couple of weight classes of them. But, we aren't going to attract 149 and 157 pound wrestlers with good 126 pounders.
Look at Cornell's incoming class, ranked #2 nationally. Almost all of their top kids are within 2 weight classes of Dake because they want to work out with and learn from a 4 time NCAA champion.

We have Jordan Leen on staff. He's an ncaa champ from cornell at 157. So we are good there.

Also, 126 is not a weight class. Hasn't been a weight class for years now.

Typo. Point is the same. Headlee won't help attract wrestlers above 133 or 141. Lean should help from 141 to 165 or higher. UVA's best recruits were from 149 to 184 when both he and Gavin were there. Gavin should help from 165 all the way to 197. The PWC could use a good Hwt and some strength in the higher weights. I think Penn State has 7 or 8 former national champions who wrestle with its club program, all at different weights.

Typo. Point is the same. Headlee won't help attract wrestlers above 133 or 141. Lean should help from 141 to 165 or higher. UVA's best recruits were from 149 to 184 when both he and Gavin were there. Gavin should help from 165 all the way to 197. The PWC could use a good Hwt and some strength in the higher weights. I think Penn State has 7 or 8 former national champions who wrestle with its club program, all at different weights.
Mike, it takes money, lot's of it to get 8 national champions to train in your room. Penn Sate Alumni donate 500k per year into there club/RTC. This is exactly what Nish is trying to accomplish. We need alumni like you who care enough about wrestling to be on this board to donate to the RTC. We will never be good without money. The Pittsburgh Wrestling Club Website takes tax deductible donations to directly support the club. Make a difference and donate today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT