ADVERTISEMENT

The WVU Heinz Field attendance thing is overblown

BLH2P

Scholarship
Mar 19, 2019
Just rewatched a bit of both the 2008 and 2010 backyard brawls. Despite Hoopie fans constantly chirping about hijacking Heinz Field, their presence in those two games didn’t seem large at all compared to the Pitt crowd. There’s nothing that seemed to indicate that WVU fans accounted for more than maybe 20-25% of the crowd. Pitt got 5x louder. Unlike the PSU games where a decent portion looked like PSU and the away crowd was noticeably loud on air.

WVU will likely get 15-20k but not much more.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
all it does is bring out more fair weather pitt fans. they bring about 8-10k, tops. wvu is not bringing in 20k, that's a 1/3 rd the stadium. with the season tix sale, that's not even possible.

You rewatch that psu 2016 game when we intercepted it in endzone, i've never heard heinz louder in my life when that happened.

I’ve been to the last couple brawls, actually the last several going back to one played at Three Rivers Stadium, and in spite of all of the talk of tractors driving up interstate 79, there were never more than 10k hoopie at those games. I even attended the last one WITH a hoopie who had to acknowledge that the WVU presence was mildly visible.

if a WVU fan wants to run up in here and argue my 10k estimate, I’ll grant them another 2-3k if it makes them happy. Their “takeover” of Heinz, even in our lean years, was fiction.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I’ve been to the last couple brawls, actually the last several going back to one played at Three Rivers Stadium, and in spite of all of the talk of tractors driving up interstate 79, there were never more than 10k hoopie at those games. I even attended the last one WITH a hoopie who had to acknowledge that the WVU presence was mildly visible.

if a WVU fan wants to run up in here and argue my 10k estimate, I’ll grant them another 2-3k if it makes them happy. Their “takeover” of Heinz, even in our lean years, was fiction.
surprisingly enough, i think nebraska brought the most fans over both psu and wvu, back in 2004. Ohio state brought the whole freakin state but that was back at pitt stadium in the early 90s.

surprisingly enough, i think nebraska brought the most fans over both psu and wvu, back in 2004. Ohio state brought the whole freakin state but that was back at pitt stadium in the early 90s.
Actually my statement about the brawl at Three Rivers might be a mistake. That game might have been PSU (the big Kevan Barlow game?). It just goes to show that I don’t care much about these opponents, or maybe I’m just getting older.

Actually my statement about the brawl at Three Rivers might be a mistake. That game might have been PSU (the big Kevan Barlow game?). It just goes to show that I don’t care much about these opponents, or maybe I’m just getting older.
we played em both that year at three rivers. Barlow big game was against wvu, we beat psu as well, that was the Rod Rutherford game.

The guy i was with at the psu game kept yelling "Rashard Casey is a racist", pissing off the psu fans around us. it was pretty funny. i think their qb Casey got arrested the summer before for beating up a white guy who was with a black girl..

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Just rewatched a bit of both the 2008 and 2010 backyard brawls. Despite Hoopie fans constantly chirping about hijacking Heinz Field, their presence in those two games didn’t seem large at all compared to the Pitt crowd. There’s nothing that seemed to indicate that WVU fans accounted for more than maybe 20-25% of the crowd. Pitt got 5x louder. Unlike the PSU games where a decent portion looked like PSU and the away crowd was noticeably loud on air.

They were claiming every blue and gold as theirs.

Where are you getting 15-20K?

There has been such a fresh air on this site for the last couple of days without the WVU fans posting every 5 seconds.

If Chris or some mod ban hammered them, kudos.
Thank God! Kudos to Chris indeed! There was no longer a discussion. It was preaching, insults, propaganda, etc…

That Nebraska game was pretty surreal attendance wise largely because it was the aftermath of hurricane Ivan dropping rain on western Pa. for a week straight and causing unprecedented flooding in the area. I remember Nebraska fans expressing disappointment in the Pitt fan turnout for the game.

I tried to explain to some of them that a lot of Pitt fans that would have been there probably didn't make it because they were trying to line up someone to pump the flood water out of their basements or other flooding-initiated home emergencies and the Nebraska fans looking back at me blankly and saying, "But... football." I guess trying to salvage your home from flood damage is not a viable reason for not attending a football game.

That Nebraska game was pretty surreal attendance wise largely because it was the aftermath of hurricane Ivan dropping rain on western Pa. for a week straight and causing unprecedented flooding in the area. I remember Nebraska fans expressing disappointment in the Pitt fan turnout for the game.

I tried to explain to some of them that a lot of Pitt fans that would have been there probably didn't make it because they were trying to line up someone to pump the flood water out of their basements or other flooding-initiated home emergencies and the Nebraska fans looking back at me blankly and saying, "But... football." I guess trying to salvage your home from flood damage is not a viable reason for not attending a football game.
I still remember watching docks float down the River

There will be more than psu.

I don't know. That 2004 games was the Hurricane Ivan game. I watched alot of Cornhicks walking around with their jaws dropped as they watched a UPS truck float past the tree tops of Point Park. In defense of the locals, alot of people had other issues than attending a football game.

If Pitt had its own appropriately-sized stadium the only WVU fans that would be there would be the visiting section and any Pitt season ticket holder who sold their tickets on the secondary market. Since it's 20-25,000 too many seats, there'll obviously be a decent number of WVU fans in the stadium, but still overwhelming dominated by Pitt fans.

If Pitt had its own appropriately-sized stadium the only WVU fans that would be there would be the visiting section and any Pitt season ticket holder who sold their tickets on the secondary market. Since it's 20-25,000 too many seats, there'll obviously be a decent number of WVU fans in the stadium, but still overwhelming dominated by Pitt fans.
Would Pitt consider Highmark Stadium as home venue? I know it’s a soccer stadium but just curious. Would guess it seats around 20-25k?

I don't know. That 2004 games was the Hurricane Ivan game. I watched alot of Cornhicks walking around with their jaws dropped as they watched a UPS truck float past the tree tops of Point Park. In defense of the locals, alot of people had other issues than attending a football game.
I remember watching the game on TV. They must have had a camera trained on the Ohio, because they frequently cut to things like entire marinas with boats still attached, floating by the stadium.

all it does is bring out more fair weather pitt fans. they bring about 8-10k, tops. wvu is not bringing in 20k, that's a 1/3 rd the stadium. with the season tix sale, that's not even possible.

You rewatch that psu 2016 game when we intercepted it in endzone, i've never heard heinz louder in my life when that happened.
The stadium was on fire during that PSU game. I expect the same for the WVU game.

Nebraska is a state I’ve never been to. But I do know that some people don’t know what a basement or a gameroom is.

Basements were not common here, until northerners moved down, and started requesting them.
Apples to oranges I know, but when my daughters British BF came here for the first time, we set him up in the game room and he thought it was the coolest thing. He also liked the clothes dryer, AC, and dishwasher- 3 things that aren’t very common in England.

come to think of it, the English aren’t all that different than hoopies.

Apples to oranges I know, but when my daughters British BF came here for the first time, we set him up in the game room and he thought it was the coolest thing. He also liked the clothes dryer, AC, and dishwasher- 3 things that aren’t very common in England.

Including questionable dental care.

Reactions: gopitt1976
I remember watching the game on TV. They must have had a camera trained on the Ohio, because they frequently cut to things like entire marinas with boats still attached, floating by the stadium.
I recall that game well. Walking across the Clemente bridge was surreal, with the height of the river and everything.

I have a basement down here and it is glorious. I don’t get how people get by without them. well, aside from all of them having to park on the driveway because their garages are stuffed to the gills. No thank you.
I don’t have a basement, and my car lives in the garage. But, I can’t stand clutter. That’s what Craigslist and Ebay are for.

I remember seeing the sea of red in Pitt Stadium in the early 1990's. I had the perfect vantage point from the 6th floor of the VA.

Yeah....and well like I mentioned in my post, they had a look of shock and awe as they looked out at the point and seeing just tree tops.

Most people in Western PA had other matters to tend to that day.

LSU fans do it most seasons. Work non-stop around the clock after the inevitable early Sept. hurricane and then get to Death Valley to cheer on their Bayou Bengals.

Admittedly, Pitt and LSU aren’t too alike. And by “aren’t too alike”, I mean probably exact opposites. Perhaps the only other P5 school in the country that could be more different than LSU is Boston Coll.

They will have 25% of the fans max in the stadium but will be so drunkenly belligerent they will sound louder

The difference is the English have brown, crooked teeth and the Hoopies have no teeth.

That was my first home game as a local .
The movers literally dropped our stuff into storage , except the clothes we were going to wear /
We were delirious from packing up the North Carolina house and moving

ADVERTISEMENT