ADVERTISEMENT

There are no easy wins left

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Boston College beating Clemson last night is an example of why that is so. Pitt could go anywhere between 2-7 and 7-2 the rest of the way with neither possible end point being too surprising.

Reactions: Drew1208
Boston College beating Clemson last night is an example of why that is so. Pitt could go anywhere between 2-7 and 7-2 the rest of the way with neither possible end point being too surprising.

Clemson was missing a few guys but I would agree that there's no easy W's besides Louisville and even that game can be close.

Honestly, there are 14 teams in the ACC who have a somewhat similar amount of talent. Pitt isnt going to out-talent BC, FSU, ND, and GT. We have to shoot 3s well and hope the other team doesnt shoot 40%-50% from 3. That's basically the recipe.

Reactions: Kevincush
If we can somehow win 6 more plus at least 1 in the ACCT, I think we have a good chance of making the NCAAT field. Anything short of that and we're looking at NIT. It's not going to be easy at all to win 7 more (including ACCT) with the remaining games we have, but certainly possible.

Of course if we only win 2 more the rest of the way, we're not going anywhere unless we win the ACCT.

That’s correct. NO easy games. The funny thing is that so many posters don’t seem to realize it.

Pitt will have to fight like hell each and every time out. But they are competitive and capable. So we’ll see what number of wins they can acheive.

Yes there are.

Louisville at home will be the easiest opponent we have all year.... that includes the non-conference schedule.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack

There are no easy wins left

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/

noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Reactions: Celtsfan
I don’t expect Pitt to go 7-0 in its next 7, but they will be favored in every single one. No excuse not to get to 14 ACC wins (5-3 record in the last 8).

Wow, I think if Pitt gets to 12 ACC wins they are in NCAAT regardless of their acc tournament performance. Especially with the remaining schedule being so tough. Lots of quad 1 and 2 wins already. I guess if they lose to Louisville at home they would need 13. But I doubt even that.

Reactions: Kevincush
Perhaps. But seems like there is just as high a possibility that we nearly run the table. There really are no unwinnable games left either.

kinda where I'm at.. we're clearly the better team in every matchup.. may not have the most high end talent, but that means nothing. Pitt wants to win games. We know how to win close games. All I ask is a game or two with some low stress, easy win.. just one more game like that.. please lol

Gotta win all the home games remaining with Louisville, Boston College, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse. And I think need to go 2-2 in the 4 road games remaining and can afford a loss at Miami and probably either at Virginia Tech or at Florida State and still be good. Obviously you prefer to lose at VT over FSU since they are a Quad 1 loss but if they go 2-2 in those 4 games and win at Notre Dame and at Florida State and lose the Virginia Tech and Miami games and win all 4 of those home games I mentioned above they would be 22-8 overall and 15-5 in the ACC and they would be in without any questions asked.

kinda where I'm at.. we're clearly the better team in every matchup.. may not have the most high end talent, but that means nothing. Pitt wants to win games. We know how to win close games. All I ask is a game or two with some low stress, easy win.. just one more game like that.. please lol
I loved every minute last night!! Bring on the stress!!!

Reactions: Wanstash21
You are right. I thought that was a home game for some reason.
Doubt that Pitt will be favored at Miami, either.

The Pitt team right now just needs to stay totally focused on the next game. With each game won, then the NEXT game becomes the biggest game.

Like Burton said in a recent interview, play to win each 4 minute segment of each game. You just never know when any team (even a struggling one like FSU) could go off and hit 50% from 3 (like FSU did) if you relax a bit.

Doubt that Pitt will be favored at Miami, either.

The Pitt team right now just needs to stay totally focused on the next game. With each game won, then the NEXT game becomes the biggest game.

Like Burton said in a recent interview, play to win each 4 minute segment of each game. You just never know when any team (even a struggling one like FSU) could go off and hit 50% from 3 (like FSU did) if you relax a bit.
Yeah he said we treat it as 10 4 minute rounds. Win the round

I wonder what is Pitt's record this year in the 4 minute segments? We've played 23 games or 230 4-minute segments. Are there any statistics nerds out there who'd like to research this?? I'm sure Pitt has won more than they lost, but there have been several games where our opponents have gone on a tear (the 13-2 run by UNC last night, e.g.) during one of those segments.

But I get what the team and the coach are doing with this "win the four minute segment". It's like a boxing match going 10 rounds. Win more of those segments and the team wins maybe by a point or two. Win 'em all and you have a knockout

Reactions: PittMan 72
I don’t expect Pitt to go 7-0 in its next 7, but they will be favored in every single one. No excuse not to get to 14 ACC wins (5-3 record in the last 8).
As you infer Pitt should not be favored in the last game --Miami on the road.

However, I also suspect that Pitt will not be favored vs Virginia Tech on the road. VA Tech at home will probably be favored by up to about the Home Court Advantage (about 3 points.).

I think that is right.

Pitt is 6-1 in league games decided by 5 or less. There has to be some ball luck involved with that, but...

We have been competitive in every league game. That is not luck. We are not playing over our head.

Other than the crazy night Hinson and Elliot went off, we are playing in our normal range. It may be different guys on different nights, but that has happened enough to be our norm.

I will not guess on Our final record, but I firmly believe we will continue to see what we have seen so far.

Yes there are.

Louisville at home will be the easiest opponent we have all year.... that includes the non-conference schedule.
AGREED!! Louisville and ga. Tech should be EASY wins!! Didn't play particularly well against either one on the road and came away with DOUBLE DIGIT victories!!!

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
AGREED!! Louisville and ga. Tech should be EASY wins!! Didn't play particularly well against either one on the road and came away with DOUBLE DIGIT victories!!!
They should be easy wins, but, I sure as hell don't want the team to think like that.

Reactions: gary2
That’s correct. NO easy games. The funny thing is that so many posters don’t seem to realize it.

Pitt will have to fight like hell each and every time out. But they are competitive and capable. So we’ll see what number of wins they can acheive.
Any chance at a retraction on that? The only way Pitt fandom is going to get back to being Pitt 2001-2015 fandom is to man up and say they will beat the schitt out of certain teams and not whine and fret about games where they are 16 point favorites. Like fans of a 2 seed not thinking 15 they are playing is an easy game when everyone knows it is...YES, there are a couple easy games remaining.

Any chance at a retraction on that? The only way Pitt fandom is going to get back to being Pitt 2001-2015 fandom is to man up and say they will beat the schitt out of certain teams and not whine and fret about games where they are 16 point favorites...YES, there are a couple easy games remaining.
The biggest predictor to me in hindsight was the exhibition wins where they blew out opposition. I was befuddled when they started 1-3. Like in recent years they struggled in the exhibitions but in glory years would always dominate exhibition. Glad things turned around. They are playing like a top 5 seed now (16-4) in last 20 games.

Any chance at a retraction on that? The only way Pitt fandom is going to get back to being Pitt 2001-2015 fandom is to man up and say they will beat the schitt out of certain teams and not whine and fret about games where they are 16 point favorites. Like fans of a 2 seed not thinking 15 they are playing is an easy game when everyone knows it is...YES, there are a couple easy games remaining.
😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT