ADVERTISEMENT

There is a possibility that Pitt knocked Louisville out of the CFP

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
If Louisville wins against Kentucky next week and then upsets FSU without Jordan Travis in the ACCCG, it’s quite likely that their lone loss to us will leave them out of the CFP.

Teams that would likely be ranked above them:

• Undefeated SEC champion Georgia
• Undefeated Big Ten champion Ohio State or Michigan
• Undefeated Pac-12 champion Washington
• 1-loss SEC champion Alabama
• 1-loss Pac-12 champion Oregon
• 1-loss Big 12 champion Texas
• 1-loss Ohio State, Michigan, and/or Georgia

Another reason why an expanded playoff is a good thing, in my opinion.

Edit: One-loss Georgia finished ahead of Louisville as well.

Last edited:
If Louisville wins against Kentucky next week and then upsets FSU without Jordan Travis in the ACCCG, it’s quite likely that their lone loss to us will leave them out of the CFP.

• 1-loss Ohio State or Michigan

Both Georgia and Alabama can't be SEC champions, nor can both Oregon and Washington be Pac-12 champs.

In my opinion, it's a strike against expanded playoffs. Do you really deserve to be playing for a national championship when you lose to a 3 win Pitt team? A four team playoff is big enough, I'd say that aren't more than 4 teams that really deserve a national championship shot.

Both Georgia and Alabama can't be SEC champions, nor can both Oregon and Washington be Pac-12 champs.

In my opinion, it's a strike against expanded playoffs. Do you really deserve to be playing for a national championship when you lose to a 3 win Pitt team? A four team playoff is big enough, I'd say that aren't more than 4 teams that really deserve a national championship shot.
Respectively, you don’t think I know that? Michigan/Ohio State also can’t be undefeated Big Ten champions and 1-loss at-larges. The point is that no matter which scenario(s) unfold, Louisville will end up on the outside looking in.

I’ve watched a lot of college football this year. IMO, the playoff should be

Georgia, assuming they win the SEC.
The Ohio State-Michigan winner
Washington, assuming they win the PAC-12
And the 4th spot will be tough. I happen to think Oregon is the 4th best team, but how do you keep Florida State out? I just feel like Florida State gets trounced by whoever #1 is in the first round.

Lol...it's not a "possibility". They have no chance. 😂

It's a horrible loss for a CFP contender.
I wouldn’t say they have no-chance but highly unlikely.

They’d need Georgia and Washington to win out, Texas to lose, and likely OSU to beat Michigan. In that scenario, they’d likely jump Bama, Texas, and Oregon.

Then it would come down to Louisville or Michigan. You could argue Louisville has the better resume with a conference title and wins over FSU and ND? Obviously Louisville had a worse loss.

• 1-loss Ohio State or Michigan

Pitt did the same to the nits in 2016.

And kept the hoopies out of the NC game with 13-9 in 2007.

So this wouldn't be the 1st time.

But I’d rather it be more like 2021 for Pitt. To be in the chase. Instead of a spoiler.

Do 68 basketball teams deserve a shot at the national championship? If so, then why not 12 football teams?

In my opinion, it's a strike against expanded playoffs. Do you really deserve to be playing for a national championship when you lose to a 3 win Pitt team? A four team playoff is big enough, I'd say that aren't more than 4 team that really deserve a national championship shot.

I see both sides of it. Postseasons in general are just manufactured excitement. They seldom determine the best team as often as they benefit the hottest team (see 10-6 Giants over 16-0 Patriots, among hundreds of others).

This season is one of the first in a while where I think teams 5-8 could have a legit chance of winning it all.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If they are knocked out of it, they could join hands
with WVU, our rival who also we knocked out of a
possible national championship. Couldn't have
happened to two better candidates. Oh wait, PSU
might have been even a better candidate. But then
again, all three are deserving.;)

Louisville has no chance even if they beat FSU. An undefeated Louisville at least has to be in the conversation, but they aren't even there with the loss to Pitt.

I think Florida State is definitely at risk of missing out to a one-loss team even if they win the ACC due to the injury to Travis.

Yeah if they would have finished undefeated they would probably have a very good shot to get in. What a horrible loss by them to us!

Do 68 basketball teams deserve a shot at the national championship? If so, then why not 12 football teams?

A slightly larger number of teams, say 16 would work out even better. Give ALL FBS Conference Champions a chance.
The excitement of the 68 team basketball tournament in large part comes from the David vs. Goliath matchups and the upsets that come from those. 12 team football playoff doesn't provide those opportunities unless all eleven conference champs make up 11 of the 12 team playoff (which we know will never happen).

Louisville has no chance even if they beat FSU. An undefeated Louisville at least has to be in the conversation, but they aren't even there with the loss to Pitt.

I think Florida State is definitely at risk of missing out to a one-loss team even if they win the ACC due to the injury to Travis.
Curious why you think an undefeated FSU would be left out because of Travis injury? The only precedent I can think of is 2014 OSU. An undefeated P5 has never been left out of the CFP. FSU also would’ve beaten a top 10 Louisville after Travis’ injury.

Last edited:
I think Louisville is not making it in even if they are 13-0. No one respects Louisville on the national level. No star players and their only decent win would be against FSU without their star quarterback.

12 team football playoff doesn't provide those opportunities unless all eleven conference champs make up 11 of the 12 team playoff (which we know will never happen).

A 12 team playoff with 11 conference champions does provide more of an opportunity for upsets. It will also, undoubtedly, provide lots more games that are blow outs that no one cares about. Which doesn't really work for anyone other than the teams that are getting blown out that never would have been there in the first place.

I wouldn’t say they have no-chance but highly unlikely.

They’d need Georgia and Washington to win out, Texas to lose, and likely OSU to beat Michigan. In that scenario, they’d likely jump Bama, Texas, and Oregon.

Then it would come down to Louisville or Michigan. You could argue Louisville has the better resume with a conference title and wins over FSU and ND? Obviously Louisville had a worse loss.

Unless it's a lopsided blowout loss, I think the OSU/ Mich loser stays ahead of Louisville.

A win over FSU is now diminished since they lost their QB1. The committee will probably not be impressed.

A lot of dominoes would have to fall for Louisville to sneak in.

The excitement of the 68 team basketball tournament in large part comes from the David vs. Goliath matchups and the upsets that come from those. 12 team football playoff doesn't provide those opportunities unless all eleven conference champs make up 11 of the 12 team playoff (which we know will never happen).
It SHOULD happen. In fact as a compromise, I would suggest a 16 team playoff..Have each of the conference champions qualify and then have a "committee" select the other 5 teams. I do agree with the NCAA basketball tournament comparison. A lot of folks watch for the possibility of the upset. They MUST eliminate the "rankings" being used to determine who qualifies for the NCAA playoffs next year. Eliminate as much of the subjective decision making as quickly as you can. Decide the champion on the field not in a conference room.

Another reason why an expanded playoff is a good thing,...because 4 extra blowouts are better than the current 2....I'm in the minority but I think the best team has been crowned champ for the most part...no need to muddy up the works with extra weeks of potential injuries but as with my marriage my opinion matters not..

Do you actually believe Louisville is national champion material in any way whatsoever?

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Another reason why an expanded playoff is a good thing,...because 4 extra blowouts are better than the current 2....I'm in the minority but I think the best team has been crowned champ for the most part...no need to muddy up the works with extra weeks of potential injuries but as with my marriage my opinion matters not..

Do you actually believe Louisville is national champion material in any way whatsoever?
I absolutely believe a one-loss ACC champion is national champion material and deserves to play for one, especially if they defeat an undefeated FSU team in the ACC Championship. I get that'll be an unpopular opinion due to the circumstances, but I'd rather Georgia actually blow out Louisville in a playoff game than only assume that they would.

I’ve watched a lot of college football this year. IMO, the playoff should be

Georgia, assuming they win the SEC.
The Ohio State-Michigan winner
Washington, assuming they win the PAC-12
And the 4th spot will be tough. I happen to think Oregon is the 4th best team, but how do you keep Florida State out? I just feel like Florida State gets trounced by whoever #1 is in the first round.
I think everyone is overrating the greatness of the PAC12 this year...I think Washington or Oregon can easily get blown out by anyone of the other teams you mentioned...

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I absolutely believe a one-loss ACC champion is national champion material and deserves to play for one, especially if they defeat an undefeated FSU team in the ACC Championship. I get that'll be an unpopular opinion due to the circumstances, but I'd rather Georgia actually blow out Louisville in a playoff game than only assume that they would.
I cannot say with any kind of conviction that a one loss team (when compared to one loss teams from elsewhere) from the weakest football league in the land deserves anything....I have felt the league was the weakest for 50 years of cognizant memory and do not feel that just because Pitt is part of said league now that fact can change...

If they do win out that will be the second time in 7 years a loss to Pitt (aka had they beat Pitt they were in) kept a conference champ out of the CFP..

I cannot say with any kind of conviction that a one loss team (when compared to one loss teams from elsewhere) from the weakest football league in the land deserves anything....I have felt the league was the weakest for 50 years of cognizant memory and do not feel that just because Pitt is part of said league now that fact can change...
That’s fair. Maybe it’s because I’m a college basketball fan first and prefer the access their tournament provides, but I just feel like winning your conference should get you something. We might need to agree to disagree on this one.

No one actually believed that a Pitt football team that was a 28.5 underdog to WVU would win that game either. How about a 2-4 Pitt football team upsetting the nations #14th ranked Louisville Cardinals football team? Upsets happen all the time in sports and that's what make watching the sports so exciting. They can do it at the NCAA D3 level where I believe 32 teams qualify for a post season playoff. At the NCAA D2 level, I believe that they have 28 teams qualify for a post season playoff. At the FCS D1 level, I do believe that 24 teams teams qualify for a post season playoff...

WHY AT THE D1 FBS LEVEL IS THERE ONLY 4 TEAMS THAT QUALIFY??????

Here's an example (teams used in example are based upon current standings)...
Include ALL of the D1 FBS Conference Champions (that's 10 automatic qualifiers)
-AAC (#18 Tulane) -ACC (#5 FSU) -Big 12 (#7 Texas) -Big 10 (#3 Michigan) -CUSA (#22 Liberty)
-MAC (#23 Toledo) -MWC (UNLV) -Pac 12 (#4 Washington) -SEC (#1 Georgia) -Sun Belt (#24 JMU)
Add in 6 "Wild Card" teams selected by an NCAA committee based upon current "rankings".
By doing something like this, you give ALL of the D1 FBS a fair chance to qualify for the playoffs.
Set up the tournament in a similar fashion to "March Madness" and it would generate so much more excitement, fan interest and most of all MONEY.

I just do not see why the National Champion at the highest level of the sport can not be determined by the same method of as the other levels of the NCAA sport.
As I said in the earlier post, determine the National Champion on the field.

No one actually believed that a Pitt football team that was a 28.5 underdog to WVU would win that game either. How about a 2-4 Pitt football team upsetting the nations #14th ranked Louisville Cardinals football team? Upsets happen all the time in sports and that's what make watching the sports so exciting. They can do it at the NCAA D3 level where I believe 32 teams qualify for a post season playoff. At the NCAA D2 level, I believe that they have 28 teams qualify for a post season playoff. At the FCS D1 level, I do believe that 24 teams teams qualify for a post season playoff...

WHY AT THE D1 FBS LEVEL IS THERE ONLY 4 TEAMS THAT QUALIFY??????

Here's an example (teams used in example are based upon current standings)...
Include ALL of the D1 FBS Conference Champions (that's 10 automatic qualifiers)
-AAC (#18 Tulane) -ACC (#5 FSU) -Big 12 (#7 Texas) -Big 10 (#3 Michigan) -CUSA (#22 Liberty)
-MAC (#23 Toledo) -MWC (UNLV) -Pac 12 (#4 Washington) -SEC (#1 Georgia) -Sun Belt (#24 JMU)
Add in 6 "Wild Card" teams selected by an NCAA committee based upon current "rankings".
By doing something like this, you give ALL of the D1 FBS a fair chance to qualify for the playoffs.
Set up the tournament in a similar fashion to "March Madness" and it would generate so much more excitement, fan interest and most of all MONEY.

I just do not see why the National Champion at the highest level of the sport can not be determined by the same method of as the other levels of the NCAA sport.
As I said in the earlier post, determine the National Champion on the field.
yes, for every 28.5 underdog miracle upset we have to sit through 743 schitty games involving teams that do not belong in some bloated money making 12 team playoff...

How about a 2-4 Pitt football team upsetting the nations #14th ranked Louisville Cardinals football team? .... I'll give you that one. Truly one for the ages...I think the mighty Cards were a 2 point favorite last week against a middle of the pack 6-4 Miami team...

MAC (#23 Toledo) -MWC (UNLV) -Pac 12 (#4 Washington) ----(see schitty games above) in the immortal words of Nancy Kerrigan, WHY?? WHY???

yes, for every 28.5 underdog miracle upset we have to sit through 743 schitty games involving teams that do not belong in some bloated money making 12 team playoff...

How about a 2-4 Pitt football team upsetting the nations #14th ranked Louisville Cardinals football team? .... I'll give you that one. Truly one for the ages...I think the mighty Cards were a 2 point favorite last week against a middle of the pack 6-4 Miami team...

MAC (#23 Toledo) -MWC (UNLV) -Pac 12 (#4 Washington) ----(see schitty games above) in the immortal words of Nancy Kerrigan, WHY?? WHY???
EXACTLY my point. I don't care of you'd have to sit through 7,430 "schitty games" of teams that you feel don't belong. If they are in the NCAA playing football at the D1 FBS level, then, they deserve the same shot to win a National Championship as every other team at that level.
The Champion needs to be determined on the field, not by a group of sports writers voting on 25 teams that most of them know nothing about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT