ADVERTISEMENT

There is No Silver Lining

DiehardPanther

Heisman Winner
Apr 26, 2017
Player Progression This Year. You also have to understand somebody is going to score. Even if it is only 45 points. Somebody will have decent stats, but it does not mean they are good.

Carr - regressed
Stevenson - regressed
Milligan - regressed
Wilson Frame - regressed
Davis - regressed
Stewart - progressed
Chukwuka - progressed
Brown - up and down
George - does not play enough to determine
Illegomah - does not play enough to determine
Boykins - not sure why he is on the roster

No overall silver lining, but I was pretty critical of Stewart and we are seeing that he can shoot, and last night he managed the ball well. So, there is that, a small silver lining of an otherwise gray sky.

I'm not concerned about Carr. He's been a turnover machine for sure, but playing PG in a conference like the ACC with very few offensive options to get the ball to is really going to put his struggles into focus. Again, go back and look at Brandin Knight's freshman year. I don't know the stats, but I remember watching the games and wondering if he had what it took. It didn't click for him until Year 2. If another PG comes in that can start, that might be the best result.

Stewart has been a pleasant surprise, but he will almost certainly have a few clunkers.

I'm most disappointed that Stevenson has been very quiet lately. In fact, last night he had as bad of a 3-minute stretch as I've seen all season from any player (and that's saying something on this team).

Wilson-Frame's inconsistency is maddening. He absolutely has to be better than he has been from a consistency standpoint in order to help bring along the others. But, he is in his first season of big-time basketball too.

Chukwukwa definitely has a good game, which has been a nice development. He needs to find a few more shots. Last night, he got the ball 3-4 times at the foul line and didn't even consider turning and taking an open jumper (or as open as you get inside the arc against the Syracuse 2-3). He was a good find.

I'm not concerned about Carr. He's been a turnover machine for sure, but playing PG in a conference like the ACC with very few offensive options to get the ball to is really going to put his struggles into focus. Again, go back and look at Brandin Knight's freshman year. I don't know the stats, but I remember watching the games and wondering if he had what it took. It didn't click for him until Year 2. If another PG comes in that can start, that might be the best result.

Stewart has been a pleasant surprise, but he will almost certainly have a few clunkers.

I'm most disappointed that Stevenson has been very quiet lately. In fact, last night he had as bad of a 3-minute stretch as I've seen all season from any player (and that's saying something on this team).

Wilson-Frame's inconsistency is maddening. He absolutely has to be better than he has been from a consistency standpoint in order to help bring along the others. But, he is in his first season of big-time basketball too.

Chukwukwa definitely has a good game, which has been a nice development. He needs to find a few more shots. Last night, he got the ball 3-4 times at the foul line and didn't even consider turning and taking an open jumper (or as open as you get inside the arc against the Syracuse 2-3). He was a good find.
My concern with Carr is that he is shooting horribly too and plays poor defense. The sample size of conference play keeps getting bigger and his play keeps getting worse. He is only shooting 26%, he has a total of 38 points, but he has 36 fouls and turnovers combined. He is a negative on the court right now.

Reactions: rockypanther
Player Progression This Year. You also have to understand somebody is going to score. Even if it is only 45 points. Somebody will have decent stats, but it does not mean they are good.

Carr - regressed
Stevenson - regressed
Milligan - regressed
Wilson Frame - regressed
Davis - regressed
Stewart - progressed
Chukwuka - progressed
Brown - up and down
George - does not play enough to determine
Illegomah - does not play enough to determine
Boykins - not sure why he is on the roster

My concern is less the progression of these players — it’s not going to be linear and I suspect at least 1/2 will get better over the next 3+ years.

The question is what does this group look like even if it maximizes it talent? I believe- and hope I’m wrong — that there is still a significant talent gap even if every player reaches their full potential. I see a group of solid to good players that could contribute to a winning team in 3 years — but they need help. The question is where is that help coming from?

My concern is less the progression of these players — it’s not going to be linear and I suspect at least 1/2 will get better over the next 3+ years.

The question is what does this group look like even if it maximizes it talent? I believe- and hope I’m wrong — that there is still a significant talent gap even if every player reaches their full potential. I see a group of solid to good players that could contribute to a winning team in 3 years — but they need help. The question is where is that help coming from?
This is my take as well.

Certainly a fair concern. I have said the same thing. This group of players needs more talent. I think there are some players on this roster who will be good over time but many are being asked to carry the load way too early in their careers and they definitely need more help and more talent added to the team. Right now, I don't think the 2018 class adds enough talent. Who knows with the 2019 class but I don't know why it would be any different than what we have seen to this point which means it won't be good enough.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Certainly a fair concern. I have said the same thing. This group of players needs more talent. I think there are some players on this roster who will be good over time but many are being asked to carry the load way too early in their careers and they definitely need more help and more talent added to the team. Right now, I don't think the 2018 class adds enough talent. Who knows with the 2019 class but I don't know why it would be any different than what we have seen to this point which means it won't be good enough.
Exactly. You can't keep pushing the hope of better recruiting down the road. Next year looks average at best so far. Even if 2019 does a little better are we anticipating that there's some impact freshman in that class that can help right away?

That's why in all honesty if Stallings does get the axe after the season(big if of course) I wouldn't mind the new coach cutting ties with the vast majority of these players. Most of them aren' very good and don't have high ceilings anyways.

Agreed. IF (big IF) we get the max out of the 5 starters plus Stevenson, we are still probably the bottom 1/3 of the ACC without a big time add in 2018 class or an elite add in 2019 that is an immediate star. More likely 1-2 stay and reach their max, 1-3 stay and improve minimally, and 1-3 barely improve or leave the program.

Chukwukka needs to get a little stronger, he's only a soph, I thought he was going to suck, but he plays hard and is progressing.

Stevenson seemed like a little Barkley vs. the OOC teams, seems like he hit a wall or something?

JWF is a good player, but inconsistent.

Parker Stewart can shoot, now that he has it going.

Brown is young, I think he'll be a good presence underneath in time.

George is intriguing to me, he doesn't play much at all, but every chance he gets, he makes seemingly coordinated and athletic plays, I think he's shooting 100% from the floor and he rips rebounds with authority.

Kene isn’t talented
But he plays with effort-
Which is warming me up to him

Stevenson’s biggest problem is he plays with no patience at all. He has to learn to do something more than bulldoze to the rim.

Reactions: TreesHero
The last time I looked bb was a TEAM game and until Pitt has a complete roster it’s impossible to figure out how these players fit into the future . There’s talent here , not Duke talent , but some talent patience is needed as are more pieces .
People need to stop panicking over these loses , everyone and I mean everyone believed that this was going to happen this year . This is an incomplete team playing without its leader , no true pg , made up of inexperienced freshman that had a chance to beat a HOF coach at a much better bb school than Pitt .
I’d be much more concerned if I was a Cuse fan , what’s their excuse for being so bad ?
Ps .... if this team is no better next yr at this time you have my permission to panic .

The last time I looked bb was a TEAM game and until Pitt has a complete roster it’s impossible to figure out how these players fit into the future . There’s talent here , not Duke talent , but some talent patience is needed as are more pieces .
People need to stop panicking over these loses , everyone and I mean everyone believed that this was going to happen this year . This is an incomplete team playing without its leader , no true pg , made up of inexperienced freshman that had a chance to beat a HOF coach at a much better bb school than Pitt .
I’d be much more concerned if I was a Cuse fan , what’s their excuse for being so bad ?
Ps .... if this team is no better next yr at this time you have my permission to panic .
Not sure if anyone is "panicking" as you say but I do think some were hopeful we would be more competitive. As far as Cuse fans being concerned they at least have a coach who's proven he can get it done so i'm sure that gives them some hope.

Not sure if anyone is "panicking" as you say but I do think some were hopeful we would be more competitive. As far as Cuse fans being concerned they at least have a coach who's proven he can get it done so i'm sure that gives them some hope.
It’s a bunch of freshman without any veteran leadership I just glad they’re not losing by 30-40 pts .

Syracuse played like garbage and still beat us by 14. They might make the NCAA this year. We have 0% chance. Next year SU has the #9 and #53 overall rated recruits coming in.

Syracuse played like garbage and still beat us by 14. They might make the NCAA this year. We have 0% chance. Next year SU has the #9 and #53 overall rated recruits coming in.
Syracuse has no excuse for their program being so bad , what they showed last night I’m very doubtful they make the tourament .

This Pitt team is so far behind the rest of the teams they should be used a tiebreaker in ACC regular season ties

1st priority - teams that played Pitt once on their home court
2nd priority - teams that Pitt once on the road
3rd priority - teams that played Pitt twice - huge advantange

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Chukwukka needs to get a little stronger, he's only a soph, I thought he was going to suck, but he plays hard and is progressing.

Stevenson seemed like a little Barkley vs. the OOC teams, seems like he hit a wall or something?

JWF is a good player, but inconsistent.

Parker Stewart can shoot, now that he has it going.

Brown is young, I think he'll be a good presence underneath in time.

George is intriguing to me, he doesn't play much at all, but every chance he gets, he makes seemingly coordinated and athletic plays, I think he's shooting 100% from the floor and he rips rebounds with authority.

I feel like George is going to end up leaving and become a really productive player at like an A-10 school and we’ll wonder why he wasn’t given more opportunities at Pitt. It seems like all he does his rebound and dunk in short spurts. I’d like to see him get more run- he seems like an ACC athlete with good hands, some court awareness and some rebounding ‘want to’.

I kind of like Cheke —seems like a nice supplement to a better front court— comes in, makes an irritating 3, hustles like heck. But— it’s hard to imagine him ever being a key piece to an upper level ACC front court— hope I’m wrong.

I feel like George is going to end up leaving and become a really productive player at like an A-10 school and we’ll wonder why he wasn’t given more opportunities at Pitt. It seems like all he does his rebound and dunk in short spurts. I’d like to see him get more run- he seems like an ACC athlete with good hands, some court awareness and some rebounding ‘want to’.

Do they think he's too short? He has forward type skills and he doesn't seem really tall, I think they list him 6-7, but he looks more like 6-5.

Do they think he's too short? He has forward type skills and he doesn't seem really tall, I think they list him 6-7, but he looks more like 6-5.

Normally i default to the coaches know their players infinitely more than I do - so who knows . I think recall he has a long wingspan- he can play taller than his height. I’d like to see more of him.

Normally i default to the coaches know their players infinitely more than I do - so who knows . I think recall he has a long wingspan- he can play taller than his height. I’d like to see more of him.
Me too, he makes some ACC type plays in his few minutes, dunks, rebounds, 5-5 from the field!

Nobody needs your permission. It's your choice if you want to wait till next year to acknowledge all the shortcomings we have in so many areas and very little help coming next year.

ADVERTISEMENT