ADVERTISEMENT

Things I Noticed

AnEx

Prep
Nov 11, 2021
Our OL and Slide protection calls aren’t always called to the correct side. The OL also isn’t picking up twists.

Slovis has no mobility.

Our DL has always been a position of strength over the last hand full of seasons and it currently is not.

Our WR core after losing Addison, Ffrench, and Mack is lackluster at best. (EDIT: WR core has been a position of strength over the last 2 years and this year it is not)

Cignetti is extremely predictable with play calls.

Last edited:
Our OL and Slide protection calls aren’t always called to the correct side. The OL also isn’t picking up twists.

Slovis has no mobility.

Our DL has always been a position of strength over the last hand full of seasons and it currently is not.

Our WR core after losing Addison, Ffrench, and Mack is lackluster at best.

Ignore.

Slovis has no mobility.

Agree. Hard for me to speak badly about Cignetti though. The man lost his father this AM and called a game. He was more aggressive with Slovis in there in the first half. Patti comes in the second and looked better passing after he got hurt. If he throws the last pass in stride they had a shot at the touchdown.

But even before all of that, 2 missed field goals was a huge factor. The defense played well except for 2 or 3 big plays.

Pitt players were dropping left and right on both sides. Lot of injuries. Slovis might be in concussion protocol(my opinion only). Patti looked to have at minimum a sprained knee.

Lastly the o-line. What a mess. Guys are hurt, backups look insufficient to say the least
They were good enough run blocking, but pass blocking was horrifying. I wonder how much of this is route running or QB not being decisive but both of these QBs were getting hit every play regardless.

I am skeptical about avenging anything against Western Michigan next week. Who is going to run the offense?

Reactions: AnEx
Proud of this team and I did think

Hell. They almost won against a pretty darn good team even without their Starting QB, Tackle, Center and one of their starting RBs.

DBs need to cover the deep ball better and kicker needs to make the easy field goal. Pitt seals the win had either been a little better.

As for Patti: Hard to expect the back up QB not to have some rust. I do think Patti got barter as the game continued. He showed grit and was pretty impressive late in the game on that injured leg.

I think OL criticism is justified. For Christ's sake... Cignetti could have gone empty backfield a few less times. And put Davis back there - someone who can block! The QB needs a good blocking RB to pick up the pressure. Whether that is Davis or Carter. Somebody. It aint' Izzy.

Reactions: TD_6082

Slovis has no mobility.

Thanks for the analysis, Captain Obvious

Tbh, I think he has some valid points.

I don't necessarily agree about the DL. WVU & UT both have a veteran OL & quality QB. I think they have performed okay.

The WR corps is very average. I think they can improve, but I don't think the potential is there to be anything better than just okay. I think the OP meant to say Mack. I'd gladly take a Stovall.

ADVERTISEMENT