ADVERTISEMENT

Things we know about this football team

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This season is kind of bizarre in that after 2 games, I feel like I can very confidently predict the rest of the season. That's mostly due to playing 2 good teams to start out with and yea, I know WVU lost to Kansas but both WVU and Kansas are top half ACC Coastal teams. That division is dreadful.

1. The OL is terrible. Seems as bad as the Walt Harris days.

2. Slovis isnt Pickett and we are spoiled but on scale of 1 to 10 for a P5 QB, he is a 6, maybe 7. Patti is maybe a 4. Slovis is good enough to win with if he wasn't in danger of being murdered every play.

3. Addison is a massive loss. Just massive. You guys want to downplay him but he's arguably the best playmaker in college football. He had 172 yards and 2 TD against Stanford. Yea, just 1 game but we've seen what he can do. We are 11-0 going into Miami with him without a doubt.

4. The rest of our schedule is really bad. We SHOULD be 9-1 going into Miami, even without Slovis. Listen, I will NEVER pick Pitt over UNC. We've never beaten them in regulation (only 2 wins came at home in OT in games we were significant favorites) so I think we lose down there even though we shouldn't. At Louisville can be tricky too but they aren't good. The next 4 should be auto wins (WMU, URI, GT, VT). Duke and Syr at home should be auto wins. Syracuse and Duke are probably the best of those 6 teams and while Sean Tucker is scary good, you simply cannot lose to those teams.

5. The defense will be ok. The DB's didn't have a great day vs Tennessee but when you throw as many 1 on 1 balls as they do, they're going to catch some. Kind of makes me wonder why teams just dont chuck the ball 40 yards down field every single play. Seems like you have like a 30% chance of a catch or PI. This defense isn't like high end P5 elite, maybe as we thought, but its high end ACC which is good enough to win with.

Overall, this was probably the "best" I've ever felt about a Pitt loss. For 2 reasons: 1. I was sure of a Pitt loss. Maybe its because I'm a Pitt fan so I expect the worse but I picked 34-24. The O and D outperformed so I was pleased with that. And 2 - it doesnt hurt our Coastal or ACC Championship chances. We were never making the CFP so the only thing this game hurts is perception, which is really just a fan thing anyway. We will be favored in our next 8 games and should absolutely be 9-1, playing for the Coastal Championships at Hard Rock.

PITT's wideouts can't catch. I agree with the take on Addison, he makes it look so easy. Football starts with the line play and that O line played poorly.

Addison scores to make it 17-0 at home.

Bub Means........there is a reason he is from directional Louisiana

That interception ( even if we only lost 3 points) was big.

This season is kind of bizarre in that after 2 games, I feel like I can very confidently predict the rest of the season. That's mostly due to playing 2 good teams to start out with and yea, I know WVU lost to Kansas but both WVU and Kansas are top half ACC Coastal teams. That division is dreadful.

That still doesn’t make them good though. It’s possible both Kansas and WVU are bad teams and top half of Coastal teams.

Struggling to beat WVU was a concern. And you saw that play out yesterday.

Kind of reminded me of 2020 after the Lville win where everybody swore they were a good team, as a way of not seeing that Pitt struggled to beat a bad team at home. Then the next week NC State happened and the reality of the Lville game became apparent.

That still doesn’t make them good though. It’s possible both Kansas and WVU are bad teams and top half of Coastal teams.

Struggling to beat WVU was a concern. And you saw that play out yesterday.

Kind of reminded me of 2020 after the Lville win where everybody swore they were a good team, as a way of not seeing that Pitt struggled to beat a bad team at home. Then the next week NC State happened and the reality of the Lville game became apparent.
WVU was a major concern for me but I wrote it off as a rivalry game, 1st game, and maybe they're good. Well, they're not good but hopefully average/top-half Coastal.

The offensive line is a major concern. The defense, despite some lapses, really locked in during the second half against a talented offensive football team. Pitt really needs Slovis to be healthy. If he isn’t this is a different team.

Reactions: gary2
The offensive line is a major concern. The defense, despite some lapses, really locked in during the second half against a talented offensive football team. Pitt really needs Slovis to be healthy. If he isn’t this is a different team.

The air came out of the offense in the first half with Slovis.

Defensively they played well. But a lot of the second half was Tenn beating themselves.

Offensive PI that killed a drive.

Dropped the deep pass in the end zone that killed the drive.

Muffed punt

Fumble

Addison scores to make it 17-0 at home.

Bub Means........there is a reason he is from directional Louisiana

That interception ( even if we only lost 3 points) was big.

I didn't realize Means dropped that at the game. From where I sit it looked like it may have gotten tipped by a few guys. But going back and watching the video... That was actually a dime of a pass that should have been caught.

ADVERTISEMENT