ADVERTISEMENT

Things we learned/things we know from spring camp

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
I saw it suggested in another thread that we don't know much about Pitt's team coming out of spring camp. I would contend that we know a few things and learned a few things from the spring, and some of the things we don't know are a result of those things being question marks for the team.

Here's a look at what we know and what we learned from spring camp:

Quarterback - Nate Yarnell is solid and should be good enough to avoid having the QB position be a liability like it was last season. Behind him is more interesting, as Eli Holstein passed Christian Veilleux and could be Pitt's QB of the future.

Running back - This group is pretty much what we thought it was heading into spring. Desmond Reid could be a home run hitter, but he's also tiny. For the most part, the RBs' success will be tied to the OL (as always).

Tight end - The most interesting thing we learned in spring is that the tight ends could see more usage outside, although some of that will be dependent on which TEs are getting used. Gavin Bartholomew should see time in multiple spots, while Jake Renda could have a role as a more athletic TE outside and Oregon State transfer Jake Overman will work in in-line roles.

Wide receiver - We pretty much know what the returning guys can do, and it's anyone's guess how the two FCS transfers will translate to the ACC. That remains to be seen once they start playing against ACC competition.

Offensive line - The starting five (Taylor/Moore/Williams/Baer and a left guard, perhaps Jacoby or Lyndon Cooper) should be fine. The question marks start when you get into the depth. There are some promising guys like Jackson Brown or Terrence Enos, but the depth has some question marks.

Defensive end - There are some unknowns here, and I don't think spring camp answered any questions for the coaches. Will Dayon Hayes be more consistent? Will Nate Matlack excel in a new role? And who steps up behind them? Lots of question marks at defensive end. Some good potential but a lot of question marks.

Defensive tackle - Ditto. We've certainly heard good things about Nahki Johnson's transition to DT and it sounds like Sean FitzSimmons has done well. But there are depth questions and the matter of size - it's just not a big group. Can they hold up against the run? We won't know until we know.

Linebackers - This group should be good. Solomon DeShields is lined up for a big senior season, Kyle Louis could be a breakout player as a first-time starter and last year's freshmen - Jordan Bass, Rasheem Biles and Braylan Lovelace - are all going to be really good. Throw in Brandon George coming back for another year and Keye Thompson as a productive transfer, and I think you're looking at one of the deepest positions on the team.

Cornerback - It's all questions here. I would guess that Rashad Battle and Ryland Gandy will be the starters, but it's all up in the air with this group. We've heard how good the secondary recruiting has been; it will be on display this season.

Safety - This group is right up there with linebacker in the competition for best overall position on the team. Two returning starters, a top returning reserve with a ton of experience and two exciting young guys forcing their way onto the field. The safeties should be really good (even though it will still look like they got beat sometimes because that's just how this defense is).

Even with a lot of question marks on defense, I think that side of the ball will be okay. I'm somewhat bullish on the defensive line getting into the backfield more and obviously I like the linebackers and safeties a lot. But I can't get past the offense; I just don't know how good it's going to be. I have questions about the personnel and how the new scheme will work. Unfortunately, we won't have answers to those questions (and neither will the coaches) until September.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News